The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #126
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Re: Downey's last?

Hopefully Marvel will sign Downey for more Avengers movies, and that will suffice for Iron Man appearances for the next several years.. Marvel can concentrate on other franchises, eventually do a James Bond-like "continuation" with a new actor eventually, 10-15 years from now..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #127
Mr. Fixit
Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
An Iron Man film without RDJ........

I can't imagine it.
I agree. Awesome casting for a superhero franchise.

I say give Downey whatever he wants and let him do it forever.

Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #128
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

I think I may cry when RDJ's done being Iron Man.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #129
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

I personally would love an Iron Man live action TV series when RDJ is done. It'll be about the only place you can really do DIAB justice and would get around what otherwise would be a non-RDJ Iron Man follow up film that ended up being a sort of sacrificial lamb ala' Lazenby & Routh.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #130
Green Day
Side-Kick

I can see him being done soon. Doing 4 superhero films is lot only the original super man actor did it. I think he could be replaced all superheros have been replaced.

Green Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #131
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

So, who could possibly replace the perfectly casted RDJ? Feels like no matter who gets suggested...they won't hold a candle to him.

Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #132
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
So, who could possibly replace the perfectly casted RDJ? Feels like no matter who gets suggested...they won't hold a candle to him.
That's why most situations like this have required the film series to offer a sacrificial lamb of sorts who no matter how well they do will end up failing in the GA's eyes and after that has happened you can get on with new actors in the role being better accepted. Routh, Lazenby, Kilmer(and Clooney) all fell into this pit. That's why I suggested the TV show route to avoid this pitfall(though that didn't work when Blade tried it). It's the one thing that makes me worry about ASM(how the GA will take to Garfield replacing MacGuire). X-Men FC got around this by going back in time to where it wouldn't remotely be possible for the original actors to reprise their roles. And it still ended up being the lowest grossing X-film ever.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #133
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

RDJ has said that he could do 10 IRON MAN movies and that he would keep playing Tony Stark as long as the public enjoyed it.

Pay RDJ anything he wants and use CGI to keep him young on screen.

Problem solved.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #134
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
RDJ has said that he could do 10 IRON MAN movies and that he would keep playing Tony Stark as long as the public enjoyed it.

Pay RDJ anything he wants and use CGI to keep him young on screen.

Problem solved.
No thanks. I love RDJ as Stark, but it would completely ruin it for me if they went down the CGi route of keeping his face looking young. It still looks completely unnatural and is distracting at best.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #135
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

The man looks great for his age so i believe he will look alright as iron man for 2 more avengers. RDJ has said he loves the character and the property did resurrect his dead career. I think he will be willing to take a little bit of a cut to sign for a few more movies. If not, I'm sure Marvel realizes this is the guy that got their studio making bank and pay the man for what he has did. IMO He's the only one that deserves that treatment quite frankly.

Whether we will see another iron man outing is the real question. I think that really depends on how IM3 turns out and if shane black can make his take on the character work. I would die if shane does a great job without using mandarin in the IM3, but fanboys are still mad they never used IM's main villain in his triology, just to find out shane was saving him for IM4, Downey's last outing in a solo IM film. Honestly i could do without IM4, but 7-10 more years with Downey in the role isn't unfathomable, especially when the man ages pretty gracefully.

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #136
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I think he should have Iron Man 3 as his film for MCU2, just keep it clear he'll still do his Iron Man thang, let him or Rhodes cameo in another film, and of course feature in Avengers 2.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #137
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Iron Man 3 would probably be it for Downey however he may continue the role in the Avengers series.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #138
Ajendo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That's why most situations like this have required the film series to offer a sacrificial lamb of sorts who no matter how well they do will end up failing in the GA's eyes and after that has happened you can get on with new actors in the role being better accepted. Routh, Lazenby, Kilmer(and Clooney) all fell into this pit. That's why I suggested the TV show route to avoid this pitfall(though that didn't work when Blade tried it). It's the one thing that makes me worry about ASM(how the GA will take to Garfield replacing MacGuire). X-Men FC got around this by going back in time to where it wouldn't remotely be possible for the original actors to reprise their roles. And it still ended up being the lowest grossing X-film ever.
Maguire didn't define the role the same way Reeves did for Superman or RDJ has for Iron Man and his contribution to the character of Peter/Spider-Man wasn't the main draw at all. People went to see the movies simply because it was spider-man and that many people found them to be decent movies.
Iron Man doesn't have anywhere near the recognition supes, bats and spidey has and the first IM movie was a surprise commercial success and that was mainly because RDJ and his charisma elevated the movie to a level moreso than the film deserved.

Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #139
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Actually I think IRON MAN is now an A lister just like Supes, Bats, and SPIDERMAN; although I would put the latter 2 as A+ listers; nowadays people may know him but very few people outside of DC fans care about Superman anymore.

IRON MAN was a surprise commercial success because mainly it was an excellent movie; the only 10/10 comicbook superhero movie IMO

Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #140
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

When Superman gets a movie where he'll actually punch someone (i.e. Man Of Steel), that will change at least a little.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #141
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

I wouldnt mind seeing chris pine as stark. Yes? No? Its hard to see anyone fill rdj's shoes...but back in the day i was pretty into pierce brosnan as 007 until daniel craig stepped in and redefined the character. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #142
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Day View Post
I can see him being done soon. Doing 4 superhero films is lot only the original super man actor did it. I think he could be replaced all superheros have been replaced.
No, hugh jackman has been in 4 (if you count XM:FC; then 5) superhero movies and he's continuing onto Wolverine 2; Ryan Reynolds will be in his 3rd, and working on his fourth. I think RDJ will be iron man for a while, he obviously loves playing him, so let's hope.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #143
OB12
Side-Kick

The other aspects that lends to RDJ continuing on as IM is that the role doesn't have to be time consuming or physically demanding. The majority of his time is spent filming the Tony Stark scenes. He probably does a lot of the IM scenes now but the option is there for him in the future to really only be needed in suit when he has his mask up. Otherwise his double can perform the IM work and he would only be needed for the inside-the-mask shots.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #144
OB12
Side-Kick

The other aspects that lends to RDJ continuing on as IM is that the role doesn't have to be time consuming or physically demanding. The majority of his time is spent filming the Tony Stark scenes. He probably does a lot of the IM scenes now but the option is there for him in the future to really only be needed in suit when he has his mask up. Otherwise his double can perform the IM work and he would only be needed for the inside-the-mask shots.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #145
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I think it will become a matter of money/age with RDJ eventually. I think IM3 will be the last solo Iron Man film, and he will play Stark in Avengers 2 and 3...MAYBE we get an Iron Man 4, but I think IM3 will be it...least for a while.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #146
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Oh man, I forgot RDJ was almost 47. LOL.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #147
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
This makes a lot of sense. Agreed.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #148
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus_Snape View Post
Oh man, I forgot RDJ was almost 47. LOL.
47 is the new 30...

I N T E R S T E L L A R
antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #149
Octoberist
point blank

I think RDJ is fine and is aging quite well.

to be honest, believe or not, Johnny Depp is 48 and he's still is youthful to carry a movie thanks to his immortality. Pitt is 48 too, but he's still fit and young looking to kick ass. Actually, because Pitt's face has matured (mostly in the eyes), it makes him more world-weary which benefits him in certain roles.

With the actors in their 50's, Denzel is another dude who can carry a movie, action or not. Hell, look at Liam Neeson with his most recent stuff.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #150
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

What I find interesting about the current Hollywood is that the established leading-men actors like Pitt, Depp, Downey, etc., are close to 50 but there doesn't seem to real up and coming A-list leading-men actors.

Although Chris Hemsworth may prove to be that; we'll have to see how his movies this year do.