The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #176
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
That's all very true, but as far as other franchises not performing up to Iron Man standards, I think that could very well change after the Avengers.

Next year, anyone who wasn't ecstatic about Thor or Captain America in their first films will have probably seen them kicking ass in The Avengers, which could easily get people more excited for their sequel films.

I think Avengers will act as a boost for the existing franchises, and Marvel knows this. They really only have to be concerned with introducing new franchises. After Avengers, the existing ones will probably take care of themselves more or less.
In a way you're right, even though I saw both Thor and CA but out of obligation because I'm a comic book collector I still didn't think too kindly to those movies.

Now that Captain America 2 will take place in modern times I might warm up to it but it will take a hell of a well written script for me to consider Thor and CA as cool.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #177
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I doubt this is Downey's last, he said not long ago, within the last week or more, that he plans of staying with Iron Man for a long time, I am sure they will have to negotiate a new salary, but to be honest, right now, if not for his portrayal of Tony Stark, I doubt Iron Man would have done as well and I doubt we would be getting an Avengers movie.
Freige did say this is not the last Iron Man movie, that he envisions a franchise like James Bond, bring in a new actor when the time is comes to step in and continue, but said if Downey stays then Stark will age as Downey does.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #178
The Guard
Side-Kick

A few years ago, I had heard some advance rumors on The Avengers movie...and that because of the situation with Downey and Favreau at the time, there was talk of Iron Man being killed off in THE AVENGERS. It was either going to be Iron Man or Hulk. Looks like it didn't pan out, but its interesting to consider. I'd expect to see Stark stick around a good long while, and wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Stark: Director of SHIELD in this or the next series of Avengers movies.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #179
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Tony being the director of SHIELD just doesn't work at all for me with the Tony of these movies. I think Tony is willing to play at being with the Avengers but I don't think he wants the oversight of SHIELD. And honestly I suspect it might the same case with Captain America.

If this is Downey's last solo-Iron Man film I think he will at least do an Avengers sequel and they will go from there. Looks like he will play the role into his 50's though if all goes well.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #180
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

RDJ should do IR4/IR5/TA2/TA3 first before leaving the MCU.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #181
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

Colin Farrel certainly fits the bill LOOKS wise

But I just cant imagine anyone else stepping in as Stark at this point....I say use RDJ as LONG as possible..

Hell he doesnt need to do any of the action parts so it shouldnt be too taxing on him

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #182
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

I think Colin Farrell would actually do a fine job as Tony Stark. No, he wouldn't be the same as RDJ, but in a recasting scenario, shouldn't we want the new actors to put their own stamp on the characters? Farrell actually has had similar issues with drugs and alcohol like RDJ had back in the day, and he can be pretty snarky and witty when he wants to be. Should the need to replace RDJ ever arise (which, hopefully, won't be for a long time), I think Marvel could do a lot worse than Colin Farrell.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #183
elgaz
Side-Kick

If and when they decide to recast Iron Man, Farrell would be a great choice. Physically similar in look and size to RDJ (and thus, by effect, he looks like Tony Stark as he is typically drawn) and he's a great actor in his own right.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #184
RealIrOnMaN
Shellhead

"Thereís a punk rock quality to Peter Parker thatís really irreverent and fun and thatís something that Andrew embodies in a way that we havenít seen before. Certainly the materials that have come out have a darker sentiment or thereís a darker projection, but weíre very keen on staying loyal to the humor of Spider-Man."
RealIrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #185
AvengeME
Banned User

Awesome ^^^. But I don't know think RDJ will do two more movies. I think they will sign him on a case by case basis, sort of like Johnny Depp with POTC. Avengers 2 will probably have a budget north of 250 million at least and much of that salary will be tied into the cast. If you sign them to multi-picture deals their reps will probably command box office shares at that point if not already.

I think Stark should retire in THIS timeline after Avengers 2. It was pretty apparent that the arc reactor technology was getting to be a thing of the past by the end of Iron Man 2. It wouldn't make sense having Stark doing this stuff into his 50's. Ant Man, Thor, and Cap could carry an Avengers movie IMO. I think they will kill off Captain America by the sixth movie as well. Then you can build the universe back up once all the rights revert back to Disney.

AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #186
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

to me, everything I've read and heard from him, it sounds like as long as they(Marvel) are going to put out solid material, he'll keep comin' back to play the character.

Can't wait to see Avengers in 2 and a half hours!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #187
Silvermoth
Avenger

Really? Death is so final. I've never been under the impression RDJ would be the only Tony Stark. Every comic book character will be recast eventually. Sometimes that's quite interesting because you get different analyses of the character, just like when a new writer takes over a series.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #188
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Having introduced the Chitauri and all this fantasy in the MCU, and to avoid getting stale by A3's release, they can pull a Star Trek, with alternate timelines (morel ikely) or time travel (less likely). You repsect and retain the current MCU and at the same time you're free to kickstart a new one with no continuity restraints.

But if RDJ doesn't show up for A2 or 3 you can bet people will be turned off, big time.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #189
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

im sure they have robert locked in for many more films after ironman 3. i just cannot see anyone else taking over the role, it won't be the same and it would just confuse the audience.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #190
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

I'm completely OK with Stark aging along with Downey, eventually we will get old Stark from the Next Avengers cartoon movie lol

MahvelBaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #191
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

I think its safe to say but 700 Million dollars later...RDJ is sticking around for Avengers 2 atleast and probally 3

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #192
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I think he'd be around for an avengers 3 but i just can't see there being an iron man 4 or 5.
Just too much iron man/rdj. Honestly after watching iron man 2 i thought we might have reached our limits of tony starks snarkiness.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #193
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Well just like he re-invented Stark into the snarky sob he is in IM1,2 and Avengers I'm sure if he is around he can evolve the character further, imho.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #194
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

I feel confident that he'll return for The Avengers 2 just out of respect for the first being so ginormously successful.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #195
bigscore
Side-Kick

RDJ OWNS the role of Tony Starks!

I wouldnt feel good about anybody else playing the role...

bigscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #196
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

I would imagine we'll get RDJ for Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2... after that... it's all up in the air, I reckon.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #197
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

After the worldwde sucess of avengers I wish Marvel and disney would make some
announcements on the fuutre.

My thinking Is they will try to get Downey for the avengers sequels but let Iron Man 3
be last solo film for him as stark.Eventully they may go the recasting opotion for future
Iron Man films.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #198
Rocketman
Side-Kick

I'd say at the VERY least, RDJ is 100% confirmed for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers 2. Beyond that, anything can happen.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #199
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I'd say at the VERY least, RDJ is 100% confirmed for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers 2. Beyond that, anything can happen.
Well he definitely is for IM3, it was a part of his original 4-pic deal. 3 IMs and the avengers.

If he does re-up past IM3; with IM3 shooting so soon, It'll probably be after or at least very near completion, imo before something's announced. But the sooner the better.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #200
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I'm pretty sure is contract is up after IM3

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote