The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #526
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Until there is proof that the drug has no effects on mental health, IQ and memory, I am always going to be anti-legalization.
There is proof of that, at least in so far as there is absolutely no proof that it does have negative effects on those things. People have spent the last few pages giving you statistics and reasons to support that. It clearly has much less of a negative effect on them than alcohol.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #527
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
While I do think legalizing weed would be a major boon to the economy(creating jobs and giving the states tax money, also saving on jail costs), no politician would campaign on that. They would be eaten alive by the soccer mom types if that was the logic they used to push legalization..
See, that's where I would disagree. I-502 was campaigned along that same platform, in addition to keeping it out of kids' hands and won. But I do agree that there would be some trepidation on the "soccer moms'" part.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #528
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Please stop using the alcohol excuse it's legal. We don't need another...

Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #529
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Please stop using the alcohol excuse it's legal. We don't need another...
But marijuana is not as bad as alcohol. Not even close. That's the point of bringing it up, alcohol is socially acceptable and yet cannabis, which is demonstratively less harmful in basically every way, is not. And that is dumb.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #530
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

The most Obama will probably say on the matter is that the administration would no longer go after medical marijuana. Makes him still look strong against full legalization (even if he doesn't do anything to enforce the Federal laws), but also makes him look good for the legalization proponents.

And those who don't like that step will be hard pressed to do anything about it because Obama can just play the sympathy card about how it eases the pain and suffering of the sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #531
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
I know someone who has schizo from weed. He says it ruined his life. As for the health risks, there has been proof that it lowers your IQ. And the point you just made is like saying guns a legal in the US, therefore death rays shoul be too.
No you don't. You know somebody who is schizophrenic who also smokes weed. That's a preposterous assertion of cause and effect. It's like saying that ice cream causes homicide, because more homicides occur during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
I personally would rather it not be legal only because I am personally allergic to it. The problem it would cause me would be minor so I don't lobby against it or anything... it would just be an annoyance on my part.
Under the WA and CO laws, at least, this wouldn't be a problem, since you can't use it in public.

Quote:
Until there is proof that the drug has no effects on mental health, IQ and memory, I am always going to be anti-legalization.
OK, so no processed foods, television, internet, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, contact sports, or loud music. Sounds like a real cool country to live in.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #532
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I also have a friend who's schizophrenic but didn't realize until he started smoking tons of weed then doing more intense psychadelics like shrooms. It definitely amplifies the condition, but that is not proof that weed is bad, but that somebody with a condition is more affected by a drug. Not surprising in the least.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #533
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

And as someone who is affected by mental illness, I wouldn't want more people going through it because of weed. Hay, I accept the pros of it. What all of you aren't doing is realising that the arguments against are valid.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #534
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
And as someone who is affected by mental illness, I wouldn't want more people going through it because of weed. Hay, I accept the pros of it. What all of you aren't doing is realising that the arguments against are valid.
Give me a valid argument. I'm not saying there isn't one, I have yet to here one here.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #535
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I've told you mine. Just because you don't think it's valid, doesn't mean it isn't.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #536
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've told you mine. Just because you don't think it's valid, doesn't mean it isn't.
Could you restate it?

If it's the one about marijuana having to be proven to not have any effect on memory, mental IQ, etc, then that's not a valid one.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #537
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Could you restate it?

If it's the one about marijuana having to be proven to not have any effect on memory, mental IQ, etc, then that's not a valid one.
How is the drug ruining people's lives through the destruction of their mind not valid? Who are you to say it's not valid. That's bigoted.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #538
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
How is the drug ruining people's lives through the destruction of their mind not valid? Who are you to say it's not valid. That's bigoted.
It's not like they don't still have access to the drug... The fact that it's legal or not is not the issue.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #539
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'll tell you why it's not valid.

The same argument could be made for alcohol (and has been). Yet alcohol is legal. As are a number of other things worse than marijuana.

For that matter, we know marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol. Not just to user, but everyone else. When was the last time a man got high went home and hit his wife?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #540
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

The fact that alcohol does the same doesn't make the argument valid. You seem very narrow viewed on this subject.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #541
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

No, alcohol is much worse. Yet perfectly legal.

Are you in favor of criminalizing alcohol?

Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #542
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
  • Gateway drug
    Mental health links
    Unknown health links
Saying that Marijuana is a gateway to harder drugs would be like saying masturbation is a gateway to rape.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 AM   #543
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:

I think you can have too much of a good thing. I think anti social behavior would peak if you legalized cannabis, along with alcohol. I also think you'd then get more people arguing the legalization of other drugs. Eventually, this argument would come up for every drug.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #544
Fading
>:(

Quote:

Agreed. If more harmful things are legal, then what is the reason for pot being illegal? Eating burgers at McDonald's everyday can lead to clogged arteries, heart attacks, strokes, and obesity. Do we make hamburgers illegal? Cigarettes lead to lung cancer, and affects those around you who breathe in second hand smoke, make it illegal? Candy, and sweet snack cakes can lead to diabetes, make those illegal too? Alcohol?

What is the criteria in making it illegal? Is it because ppl become couch potatoes? Then what about TV, video games, and movies? At what point do we let personal responsibility kick in? I'm definitely not for all drugs being legalized, but I view Marijuana as different. It can, and has, been used in various other products, and eases pain. That's not even counting the revenue state gov's can pull in, and tax payer dollars saved by not over stuffing our jails. It's not as harmful as plenty of already legal things. It's definitely not a hallucinogen that makes you eat other ppl's faces, or causes overdoses like other drugs.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #545
Fading
>:(

Quote:
I think you can have too much of a good thing. I think anti social behavior would peak if you legalized cannabis, along with alcohol. I also think you'd then get more people arguing the legalization of other drugs. Eventually, this argument would come up for every drug.
Conversely the opposite argument can be made. If we want to prevent hardcore drugs from being legalized, we can always make currently legal things illegal to make the fight towards drug legalization further. So what gets banned next? Back to the alcohol prohibition? Cigarettes? Maybe soft drinks after?

I'm all for keeping hardcore drugs illegal. However, the argument that pot needs to stay illegal because it's, "too much of a good thing", is a weak argument, IMO. There's a Kurt Russel movie, which is a good one BTW, called Escape from LA (there's a NY one too). Basically the government outlaws all things deemed bad. Red meat, cigarettes, ect. I don't think things would end up like they do in that movie. However, there comes a point where we let it become a nanny state, where we want to be told what we can, and can't consume, and willingly give up freedom for safety. At some point we need to learn moderation, and quit expecting the government to baby sit us with our bad habits of abusing legal things.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #546
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
get more people arguing the legalization of other drugs
Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report

Quote:
The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #547
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
The most Obama will probably say on the matter is that the administration would no longer go after medical marijuana. Makes him still look strong against full legalization (even if he doesn't do anything to enforce the Federal laws), but also makes him look good for the legalization proponents.

And those who don't like that step will be hard pressed to do anything about it because Obama can just play the sympathy card about how it eases the pain and suffering of the sick.
If you notice the DEA pretty much left Medical Marijuana in Colorado alone. It's because their system is well run. California is trying the craft laws to clean up their medical marijuana system and fix problems so more Californians will support legalization in 2016.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #548
Sun_Down
Groovy

Guys, just stop feeding the troll. He's just trying to get a rise out of people.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #549
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
The fact that alcohol does the same doesn't make the argument valid. You seem very narrow viewed on this subject.
There is so much concentrated irony in this post that I fear it may punch a hole in the space-time continuum itself.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #550
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
Guys, just stop feeding the troll. He's just trying to get a rise out of people.
You're probably right.

Closed Thread