Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #51
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: The TEASER TRAILER Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Just thought of something.

This film is in direct contradiction to the opening of the Last Stand with Erik and Charles meeting Jean for the first time.

Any more evidence that they are ignoring the Last Stand?
How is this film contradicting that opening scene? (It was Matthew Vaughn who wrote that opening scene, by the way).

All I can sense here is your desperation to find evidence that it is being ignored. It seems kinda creepy. Even if it IS being ignored, there is a very odd undercurrent in your posts.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #52
J.Howlett

Dude, if at the end of this film, Erik and Charles have split up, how does that opening scene fit into this timeline?

It's just a simple observation.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #53
J.Howlett

X-Maniac,

If you tell me how it fits, I'll shut up about it...

Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #54
Ipodman
Love Tension

Why couldn't it?

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #55
J.Howlett

Well, because via this film, Erik and Charles go their separate ways by the end of this film, right?

And yet, they're pretty much buddy buddy at the beginning of X3.

And hasn't it been confirmed that Jean doesn't show up in this?

How does that work?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #56
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I know they said that because of the 1960s setting they were able to incorporate more "comic booky" designs, but I think a lot of this stuff just looks good in general.
Yeah hindsight is 20/20 huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #57
Ipodman
Love Tension

They could have went to recruit Jean, then split up after wards

Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #58
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Wow, really impressed with the trailer.

My only complaint is that it's not connected to the Marvel movieverse. But that's a nitpick at this point.

GhostPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #59
J.Howlett

Ipodman,

No. The opening of X3 takes place in the 80's. This film is set in the 60's.

The first X-Men film is released in 2000. The opening scene with Magneto is 1944. The rest of the film takes place in the "not too distant future" from the time of the film's release, again 2000 (2005? 2008? Pick a year..depending on what you think the not too distant future means). The opening scene in X3 takes place 20 years earlier. That points to the 1980's.

And again, I think it's been confirmed that they go their separate ways at the end of this film.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #60
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It's fairly clear they are throwing the Last Stand out.Let's ignore the issue of Moira MActaggert's age.The shot of Beast In Blue and furry to me seems different than Kelsey Grammer as beast.Not to mention we will likely see first class make the opening of The Last Impossible.Also remember Singer's take on Phoenix was different that what we got In The Last Stand.Removing the Last Stand allows for Angel to be In First Class sequel
and allows Singer If a post X2 sequel Is made for him to have Cyclops and Xavier without having to address deaths and Xavier mind In new body.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #61
jotun666
Side-Kick

I think the gun Magneto is holding is being used in running trainings or something similar.

It looks to me as the guns used in a run to set the "go!" moment...

As he and other students are in sportswear, they might have been training outside when someone called them in to watch Kennedy´s speech.

By the way, I think the trailer looks good, but I remember a lot of people thought the same when The Last Stand was release. I have more faith in Vaughn than in Bret Rattner, but I´m not sure if the movie will be a good one...Wish I´m wrong!

jotun666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #62
J.Howlett

marvelrobbins,

The shot of Beast In Blue and furry to me seems different than Kelsey Grammer as beast.Not to mention we will likely see first class make the opening of The Last Impossible.

Yep.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #63
steintym
Stay Frosty

I also think the First Class title is being taken too literally. I don't think we'll officially see the school in operation (functioning as a school) until the end of the movie. In a recent interview I thought there was a discussion about how the mutants in this movie don't really know how to use their powers properly. The events of the movie could lead Charles to realize there needs to be an option for mutants to properly manage their powers in order to co-exist in society.

Also, I don't think anything that we've seen or heard (or will) contradicts the opening scene from X3. Prof X and Magneto have had a weird off and on working relationship throughout the years. Hell, half of the time I have a hard time keeping track of which side Magneto is on in the comic books.

steintym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #64
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
Wow, really impressed with the trailer.

My only complaint is that it's not connected to the Marvel movieverse. But that's a nitpick at this point.
I woulnd't like to see the whole Marvel Movieverse barging into de X-verse, I really like the grounded tone "X-Men" had (despite the mutants, I know) and wouldn't want that tainted with the rest, no matter how good those movies are, that's just my opinion, but just like Batman in the Nolan movies, I like the X-Men movies to be just X-Men movies.

The trailer was amazing by the way, loved every second, loved the (I suppose) anti-telepath room Emma was in, loved the Mystique tease, Beast was great, Azazel, the Angel back-room momment, Xavier using Cerebro, Magneto, everyone, it was just awesome, can't wait for June.

By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #65
J.Howlett

But, that's the comics. This is the movie universe. There's a definite continuity to it.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #66
Ipodman
Love Tension

From what I guess, we will see the school in operation a good lot in this movie...

Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #67
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ipodman,

No. The opening of X3 takes place in the 80's. This film is set in the 60's.

The first X-Men film is released in 2000. The opening scene with Magneto is 1944. The rest of the film takes place in the "not too distant future" from the time of the film's release, again 2000 (2005? 2008? Pick a year..depending on what you think the not too distant future means). The opening scene in X3 takes place 20 years earlier. That points to the 1980's.

And again, I think it's been confirmed that they go their separate ways at the end of this film.
X-Men and X2's timeline should be placed In the early 2000's.They never wanted an exaxt date for the events.For Last Stand to remain In Film cannon
the opening of Xavier and Magneto finding Jean are In the 1980's.First Class Is making this opening scene which Impacted the rest of Last Stand Impossible.Xavier and Magneto have failling out In Last Stand and Xavier IS apparently going to be crippled In First Class.

What they are basiclly doing Is getting rid of the films that people had problems with and remain connected to films that were well received.

This won't be problem except for those want a complete reboot or want Fox to just sell X-men back to Marvel/Disney(Like Fox will give up a sussessful franchise to rival studio)

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #68
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I liked the trailer. I was very on the fence about this and was not that interested in it. But I thin it won my ticket dollar

Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #69
Wefflehouse
Frick-frack

Yes, I liked the trailer. That said, I was head over heels with X-Men:The Last Stand's trailer. I must keep my heart guarded.

Wefflehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #70
Kingslayer
House Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
I woulnd't like to see the whole Marvel Movieverse barging into de X-verse, I really like the grounded tone "X-Men" had (despite the mutants, I know) and wouldn't want that tainted with the rest, no matter how good those movies are, that's just my opinion, but just like Batman in the Nolan movies, I like the X-Men movies to be just X-Men movies.
Now that you mention this, I definitely agree with this stance. I feel like having superheroes like those in the Avengers would lessen the impact of the X-Men. It would certainly discredit, at least in part, the stigma faced by the mutants in this world.

I think the film universe actually works extremely well as a stand alone product. Granted, since Fox owns the rights and such, we won't see crossovers anyway, but I like everything the way it is. Although perhaps having a better film company in charge wouldn't hurt...

Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #71
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
X-Maniac,

If you tell me how it fits, I'll shut up about it...
I wish you'd shut up about it anyway. You have an axe to grind and it's getting tiring.

So what if Last Stand is 'thrown out'? So what if it isn't? What's the significance of this? Why does it matter so much?

I can well understand how a producer (Singer) might want to ignore films in which he had no involvement, but I could also understand if they might want to line things up more neatly. The fact remains that Fox issued a quadrilogy box set on Blu-ray and DVD with all four existing films. What do you want? For them to demand everybody return their box sets?

You seem to be making a big deal out of it. It doesn't matter. Vaughn already says the film is its own beast, with nods to the existing films. At this point, we don't know how far these 'nods' go and what is included or ignored, and what could still fit even if there is no direct 'nod'.

Why are you so hung up on this?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #72
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
It's fairly clear they are throwing the Last Stand out.Let's ignore the issue of Moira MActaggert's age.The shot of Beast In Blue and furry to me seems different than Kelsey Grammer as beast.Not to mention we will likely see first class make the opening of The Last Impossible.Also remember Singer's take on Phoenix was different that what we got In The Last Stand.Removing the Last Stand allows for Angel to be In First Class sequel
and allows Singer If a post X2 sequel Is made for him to have Cyclops and Xavier without having to address deaths and Xavier mind In new body.
God I hope your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #73
J.Howlett

X-Maniac,

It's not a damn hang up. It's a "I watched the trailer and noticed something" and asked a question here on the forums?

Problem?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #74
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

So needless to say 90% of the Xmen fanbase was on the fence with Fox's new Xmen movie myself included. I have to say watching the trailer I STILL am on the fence but can take a quick little (mind you little) sigh of relief.

Beast does not look as goofy as the photoshoped crpfest bootleg image we first got.

I am still a little dissapointed that First Class really isnt just focussing on the original First Class heroes but I can take it.

I love the idea that X3 is pretty much nonexistent in their eyes like the Wolverine Origins movie is to be with Aronofsky's (spelling) adaptation of Wolv will be.

I still feel and idk why but I feel like seeing the actors young playing these iconic rolls still feels to me like Saved By The Bell meets Xmen. Ive always pictured Xavier and Mag as old wise men leading younger mutants on their quest of what they feel is right.

I know thatll just be me but I had to get it out

NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #75
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
X-Maniac,

It's not a damn hang up. It's a "I watched the trailer and noticed something" and asked a question here on the forums?

Problem?
Well, it's impossible to judge the entire storyline and its possible continuity decisions from a 2min trailer.

If Xavier and Magneto have split for good by the end of the film, and if we are meant to know they never, ever work together again, and if there is no way they could have visited Jean Grey 'off screen', then the intro of The Last Stand is being ignored. But that's a lot of ifs to make a ruling on based only on a 1mins 50secs trailer.