The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #76
J.Howlett

Default Re: The TEASER TRAILER Discussion Thread

X-Maniac,

I make that assumption because, frankly, it doesn't seem to make sense to make this film if we don't see why these two split in the first place.

Not to mention, one of the last images in the trailer is Erik in full Magneto gear. You can't get more obvious than that, in terms of pointing to the future with that image.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #77
YoungE808
Side-Kick

*shrugs* I wish they would just ignore everything between X1-3 asides from the obvious stuff.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #78
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
X-Maniac,

I make that assumption because, frankly, it doesn't seem to make sense to make this film if we don't see why these two split in the first place.

Not to mention, one of the last images in the trailer is Erik in full Magneto gear. You can't get more obvious than that, in terms of pointing to the future with that image.
Fair point. But if the next film begins with Jean already at the school (and perhaps Cyclops already there too) - which they might choose to do rather than show the recruitment of each one - then elements of X3 and XMO:Wolverine might apply. Would they show the recruitment of Jean all over again, but differently?

All this illustrates the inherent problems with a franchise that has stumbled along without any masterplan laid out at the beginning, and which has had several different directors and writers putting their own stamp on it. The only option is to go with the flow... For a more hardcore nerd-rage approach then see that other website you mentioned, which represents the more extreme end of the fan spectrum!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #79
NinjaCarm
Fantastic

Quote:
Ipodman,

No. The opening of X3 takes place in the 80's. This film is set in the 60's.

The first X-Men film is released in 2000. The opening scene with Magneto is 1944. The rest of the film takes place in the "not too distant future" from the time of the film's release, again 2000 (2005? 2008? Pick a year..depending on what you think the not too distant future means). The opening scene in X3 takes place 20 years earlier. That points to the 1980's.

And again, I think it's been confirmed that they go their separate ways at the end of this film.
Did you ever hear of people breaking up / having a falling out, then rekindling, getting back to together on and off, having a relationship like that?

They also talked to each other like normal guys in X1.

Basically, it's possible sir.

NinjaCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #80
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Just thought I pop in to give my two cents worth. Sorry if I repeat something that has been answered previously, but I don't have time to go through all the posts right now.

I wasn't particularly interested in this film, in spite of being an X-fan for almost 30 years, so the trailer came as a pleasant surprise. It exceeded expectations (granted, they were low) and made me (dare I say it?) somewhat excited.

I agree (if it has been said in this forum) that Havok will take on Corsair's role as Cyclop's father in this series (rather than brother) and is that Pixie in the trailer???? That was a bit WTF??? moment for me.

So far, looks better than Thor and ties with Captain America as far as best looking summer blockbuster so far.

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #81
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

It's not Pixie, it's Angel Salvadore and I doubt they're going to make Havok Cyclops dad in this movie.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #82
J.Howlett

X-Maniac,

Actually there was a masterplan and it got screwed at it's peak. I won't rehash it but we both know it's true.

Now, all the guy who laid the foundation is trying to do is get it back to a respectable spot again.

Unfortunately, the damage may have already been done with the last two pictures. There's the possibility that the brand has been damaged and that this film won't be given a fair shake by the audience. More than likely, it'll make less than the Last Stand and Origins but I'm almost willing to put money down that it'll be a much, much better reviewed film than those two by a wide margin.

And the funny thing is, had Fox just not gotten stupid and let Singer finish, he not only had three films with the iconic characters from the universe, but he set up a younger generation of characters through out his films that could lead to even more sequels with or without him, without having to do prequels that didn't involve the classic characters.

Fox could've been printing money for years with the X-Men brand without having to do prequels.

As to this point (Fair point. But if the next film begins with Jean already at the school (and perhaps Cyclops already there too) - which they might choose to do rather than show the recruitment of each one - then elements of X3 and XMO:Wolverine might apply. Would they show the recruitment of Jean all over again, but differently?), maybe.

It just depends on how the ending of this film is played. If it's a clear break between Magneto and Charles, then no, it's not going to work at all.

Still, that image of Erik in full gear pretty much seals any notion that they become friends, like they were ever again. Remember, through out the three films, they were clearly on the opposite side but they were very respectable of one another and their friendship in the past...but still, very much on the opposite sides.

The opening of X3 doesn't play like that at all. They haven't split yet when they go and get Jean.

Last edited by J.Howlett; 02-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #83
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
X-Maniac,

Actually there was a masterplan and it got screwed at it's peak. I won't rehash it but we both know it's true.
I'm referring to a masterplan laid out before the first film was even made, a franchise bible...a plan that would map out each film, who was in it and what would happen, as though it were a single story (like adapting LoTR, which has the advantage of being one story in the first place). We didn't have that precise plan, we had a director's ideas, we had people discussing things. But nothing was fixed in place.

X2 only got greenlit because they liked X1. A trilogy/quadrilogy had not already been planned. There was no franchise bible.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #84
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

I wish they would just ignore the original xmen movies. That being said this movie looks kickass

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #85
J.Howlett

X-Maniac,

Well, you can't really fault them for that. Fox didn't believe in X-Men to begin with. The genre was pretty much no where after Batman & Robin. Blade made some noise, but nothing earth shattering.

It made sense to not have a plan because nobody knew if X-Men was going to work, especially in the way that Singer presented the film.

It truly was the beginning of it all, when you look at what we've received from this genre since that film was released.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #86
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial

Can we all please just drop the Xavier Mag relationship in X3......its getting really old and Ive only been on this thread for about an hour.

Take the movie for what it is. Stop trying to tie in the other movies to it. Im glad they are doing their own thing now and as I see disregarding X3 and probably 1 and 2 as well.

Thats what they needed to do, a reboot without actually rebooting the movie. They are going in a whole different direction/time period and its WELL NEEDED.

Hopefully it comes through as a good movie for all us fans!

NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #87
nightwing06
Side-Kick

It doesn't look terrible,but to many timeline changes for me .
Havok but no Cyclops? I still dub this film
X-Men: Eyes Wide Shut.
Looks like Erik and Charles were checking out Angel(Zoe Kravitz) in some mutant
brothel!!

nightwing06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #88
J.Howlett

Why isn't Marvel advertising this on their website?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #89
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
X-Maniac,

Well, you can't really fault them for that. Fox didn't believe in X-Men to begin with. The genre was pretty much no where after Batman & Robin. Blade made some noise, but nothing earth shattering.

It made sense to not have a plan because nobody knew if X-Men was going to work, especially in the way that Singer presented the film.

It truly was the beginning of it all, when you look at what we've received from this genre since that film was released.
Yep, and there you have the explanation for why the franchise has ambled along in this way. General lack of confidence in comic book adaptations added on to Fox's own decisions...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #90
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
X-Maniac,

If you tell me how it fits, I'll shut up about it...
Dude, I'm with X-Maniac, you seem to be pretty stuck on this notion that this film is a gigantic departure from anything done post-Singer and that the studio will now lock away any memory of The Last Stand travesty

For starters, there's a shot from The Last Stand in the trailer. And my common sense tells me that the studio will not be ignoring their most profitable film in the series (you mentioned something earlier about how they haven't had a successful X-Men movie in 8 years. Its actually just been 5, and ORIGINS as bad as it was still made money anyway).

On the matter at hand, I thought the trailer looked great. Fassbender and McAvoy are solid and I think the tone Vaughn approached it with (thank God) is spot-on

Not digging the cat Beast though, wish they'd gone with real Beast.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #91
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

gotta say, I had NO interest in this movie. But the trailer changed that. Not saying that I'm super pumped about it, but I'll certainly be catching it in the theater, I think.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #92
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

This looks very promising

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #93
Bren
Forevernoob

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn...........

about continuity

Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #94
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
How dare you ! Madonna is much more intelligent, more in control than that mentally challenged woman !
I hope to the Goddesses of Celebdom that you're joking.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #95
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

By the way, I think I'm love with the last bit of the trailer, where Charles tries to talk some sense into Erik, and Magneto tells him: "Peace was never an option."

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #96
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: The TEASER TRAILER Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
By the way, I think I'm love with the last bit of the trailer, where Charles tries to talk some sense into Erik, and Magneto tells him: "Peace was never an option."
That was brilliant

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #97
JP
Smelly

YouTube Stats:

1,241,076 views.
8,357 Likes
291 Dislikes

Considering its been out for less than 24 hours, its destroying every other superhero movie trailer based on views.

Last edited by JP; 02-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #98
J.Howlett

Alexei,

Money doesn't equal success. Wolverine doesn't work. Why do you think Jackman and Aronofsky are pretty much not referencing that film at all when they make the Wolverine?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #99
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Dude, I'm with X-Maniac, you seem to be pretty stuck on this notion that this film is a gigantic departure from anything done post-Singer and that the studio will now lock away any memory of The Last Stand travesty

For starters, there's a shot from The Last Stand in the trailer. And my common sense tells me that the studio will not be ignoring their most profitable film in the series (you mentioned something earlier about how they haven't had a successful X-Men movie in 8 years. Its actually just been 5, and ORIGINS as bad as it was still made money anyway).

On the matter at hand, I thought the trailer looked great. Fassbender and McAvoy are solid and I think the tone Vaughn approached it with (thank God) is spot-on

Not digging the cat Beast though, wish they'd gone with real Beast.
Good point on that. I hope it sticks close to the film continuity, I'd like that a lot. And just to point out to those wondering, the scene Alexei is talking about (I'm guessing) is at the very beginning, the shot with Xavier's empty chair.

I don't mind the cat Beast to be honest, a lot of the trailer/film reminds me of Morrison and Whedon's NEW X-MEN tenures (suits, walking Charles, Frost, etc.) But what it does is use two of its best interpretations and makes it viable. I personally never liked seeing Charles walking after seeing him standing so tall in that chair, or Beast 'evolving' into a cat-like visage. But the designs in the film reconciles that by placing Charles' active X-Men tenure prior to his actual paralysis/crippling. Beast, on the other hand, looks cat-like for his feet, and a little bit of his hair, it isn't overtly present like it is in the comics. I can watch this and imagine that it's the same mutation, only later on Hank must've... I dunno, gotten a good hairdo going or something.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #100
conan69
Cimmerian

There should always be a franchise bible.

Sure, things can change, but a thoughtout idea, story and plan makes for much better storytelling.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote