The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

Default This film so far seems logical!

Hi, i havent posted in a while but i saw the teaser trailer and well it just proved my thoughts on this movie.

Its logical... and you can definatly see this is a Bryan Singer film, even though Vaughn is directing it.

The first initial thought i had with this movie is that - that distint look x1 and x2 had was very present. When x3 and even the wolverine movie came about there style was way different. those movies although connected to the rest didnt have that crisp nice look that the first two had.

secondly i know theres talk of this not directly fitting in with the other x-men movies and this by far is no where near the x-men comic origins

but really we couldnt make that movie because its a whole different universe were looking at, its not the comic book universe.

I cant wait for June? July? or whever its coming out. Hopefully this will be successful.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Default Re: This film so far seems logical!

The next scene after the lady with wings starts fluttering, a giant pink elephant floats into the room and morphs into Xavier's mother. Then begins to spout Shakespear in pig latin.

GhostPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVelvetOnion View Post
Hi, i havent posted in a while but i saw the teaser trailer and well it just proved my thoughts on this movie.

Its logical... and you can definatly see this is a Bryan Singer film, even though Vaughn is directing it.

The first initial thought i had with this movie is that - that distint look x1 and x2 had was very present. When x3 and even the wolverine movie came about there style was way different. those movies although connected to the rest didnt have that crisp nice look that the first two had.

secondly i know theres talk of this not directly fitting in with the other x-men movies and this by far is no where near the x-men comic origins

but really we couldnt make that movie because its a whole different universe were looking at, its not the comic book universe.

I cant wait for June? July? or whever its coming out. Hopefully this will be successful.
Well said! I'm one fan who is happy they are keeping touch with Singer's continuity because I enjoyed what has come before... I'm not one of those fanboys who has trouble differentiating a movie universe from a literary one. I'm also still amazed and somewhat amused at the angst in some other posts. I understand expectations and limited vision can taint a depiction of something you love but you'd think that five movies later the bitterness and anger would have eased. If they deliver another good film that general audiences enjoy I think it's going to drive certain fanboy haters completely insane with rage. Just an observation because I can't wait for June either!

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I've been skeptical about this movie, cuz I don't know if I'm on board with the creative direction.

But having seen the trailer, I am now pumped up. It's a good trailer. It does take it back to the Bryan Singer style of filming, because you're completely right, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine even have different visual styles as well.

The storyline might not be the origins to the universe that we all expected, but it can certainly still remain consistent with the existing movies (the shot of Xavier's wheelchair from X-Men: The Last Stand proves to me that they aren't "throwing out" that movie's continuity), and the plot based around military, governments, and the Cuban Missile Crisis does actually make me think of X-Men #1. Obviously many many details are being changed, since Xavier and Magneto are working together, and the original X-Men team is going to be completely different, but just the plot of this movie as we know it, compared to the plot of X-Men #1, they feel very similar to me and I think that's actually a pretty cool element of all this.

It's still certainly not X-Men: First Class as I'd do it, but it may work out a lot better than I anticipated.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I think there is more Vaughn in it than some fans are seeing. Yeah, it is toned down more in realism and character development like Singer's movies (or at least the trailer makes it appear that way). But Vaughn is far more stylish than Singer. Singer has made the best movie, but he prefers usually a more traditional unseen narrative approach (not counting The Usual Suspects).

Vaughn loves in your face eccentricity and being somewhat verging on over the top. Hence why he has the bright yellow costumes, the look of the HellfireClub saying Sean Connery James Bond right down to naked mutants undressing in an all-red room in front of Charles and Erik as well as everyone in tuxedos (and the lack of what Emma is wearing). Vaughn loves high style and there is a lot of that in the trailer. Look at his version of cerebro. Instead of being a slick stainless steel aesthetic it is transparent full of bright flashing colors and MacAvoy is going Nicholas Cage on us. That is most certainly Vaughn's approach to telling the story.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Vaughn is defintely more vibrantly visceral when it comes to imagery in his films. That is exactly what an X-Men movie needs though.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
liverlips
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I've been skeptical about this movie, cuz I don't know if I'm on board with the creative direction.

But having seen the trailer, I am now pumped up. It's a good trailer. It does take it back to the Bryan Singer style of filming, because you're completely right, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine even have different visual styles as well.

The storyline might not be the origins to the universe that we all expected, but it can certainly still remain consistent with the existing movies (the shot of Xavier's wheelchair from X-Men: The Last Stand proves to me that they aren't "throwing out" that movie's continuity), and the plot based around military, governments, and the Cuban Missile Crisis does actually make me think of X-Men #1. Obviously many many details are being changed, since Xavier and Magneto are working together, and the original X-Men team is going to be completely different, but just the plot of this movie as we know it, compared to the plot of X-Men #1, they feel very similar to me and I think that's actually a pretty cool element of all this.

It's still certainly not X-Men: First Class as I'd do it, but it may work out a lot better than I anticipated.
When I heard this would be set in the early 60's, I was onboard! It's a perfect setting based on the original comic, Magneto's WWII childhood, the Cold War paranoia, and the Dr. King/Malcom X rift. The Hellfire Club fits this era too as I picture a mixture of Anton La Vey's Church and the Playboy Mansion. An added bonus would be a primitive Danger Room with the spring loaded traps and missiles of the comics. Go Fox!

liverlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

dont worry im not discrediting Vaughns work in this movie, His influences are in it...

Story wise, characters, design - that is Bryan Singer - and very much in the same vain as the previous x-men movies. The only difference Bryans look has evolved a tad.

Cast, location wise, and some bold scenes choices (Prof, Mags in bed with bug lady dancing) - that is Vaughns influence which we have seen in his previous movies.

To be honest, i think we have found the perfect collaboration... Maybe Bryan Singer and Vaughn should work together more often on projects.

---------

Now on to the actual movie...

Im a big fan of the comics and one of the funnest things i think about when i see the trailer is How much it reminds me of the Original Comic albiet the cast of characters are different.

In X-Men 1 - the comic not the movie - in the first comic we see the introduction of charles xaviers x-men which is cool but what i find quiet interesting is lets take the scene in the trailer where Magneto is lifting that submarine out of the water from the blackbird. The whole army and war thing reminds me alot of the first issue where we see Magneto first appearance in the comics taking on the army.

Plus setting this movie in the 60's when the comic was original released in the 60's and when you read the comics are very 60's thinking and tackled issues indirectly from the 60's it just really works well.

One thing i do like about the trailer... theres been reports that this movie wont be a direct sequel to the series of movies but i dunno i think it might just be.

Take for example Beast, we clearly see the actor in human form for majority of the trailer but we also know that the transformation occures to the blue beast. Although he didnt look 100 % like his x3 look but you can clearly see that Bryan had in mind the x-men 3 movie in mind to kind of expand on Beasts character more in this movie.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa

Right, logic. That's what I look for in a movie.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

i didnt say Logic, i said Logical - as in, what there doing kind of makes sense...

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
docdoc
Side-Kick

It looks serious, and lots of people around me who are not really into superheroes also wants to see this, which really surprising though. Guess the promotion wasn't so bad as i thought

docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
seifergt
Side-Kick

At some point, you need to stop giving people chances. The movies got continually worse, and now they want me to reinvest in the franchise, but I honestly Just don't trust them. First class is reminding me of Terminator Salvation. It had a rockin trailer, and the previous film (2 for xmen) was not very good. Watched the movie, left disappointed. As far as logical goes, I'm not seeing how it fits in with the previous movies, and if they wanted to reboot the franchise why not do it right instead of trying to hold on to the previous three movies? Because they also want to keep the door open to do an xmen 4. They will have three movie series about the xmen out, wolvering, the first class series, and continuing the old xmen franchise. Why not just one good one. Ugh.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

There are not doing three different series.

FIrst off it Is pretty obvious First Class Is prequel to X-Men and X2 only.The Wolverine
will Ignore X-Men Origins:Wolverine and tells Wolverine's story In japan during the 15 years between when he lost his memory and encounted Rogue.After that Wolverine will
most likely rejoin The X-Men with X4.

The possible First Class trilogy will furhter telling the events leading up to Original X-Men.
X4/X5 will likely be some varatian of the Days of Future past storyline Ignoring The Last Stand.

Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn are not McG so it Is a bad compasion.

It's very simple here Just Ignore The Last Stand and Wolverine.Why IS that so diffucult for some?

I am sick of the consent rebooting going on.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifergt View Post
At some point, you need to stop giving people chances. The movies got continually worse, and now they want me to reinvest in the franchise, but I honestly Just don't trust them. First class is reminding me of Terminator Salvation.
Except that was directed by McG while this is directed by Matthew Vaughn under the supervision of Bryan Singer.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its going to be a great movie!

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
Sun_Down
Groovy

Look, I was here in the pre-X3 days and expectations were sky high. But given all that happened and the rushed production schedule, we were all pretty naive to expect something on par with the first two films. Looking back, that's clear. At the time, not so much.

But did anyone really think X-Men Origins: Wolverine was going to restore the series to glory? Honestly? I didn't even see the thing in theaters myself. Didn't follow the production either. And the result? I wasn't disappointed. I knew it would suck and when it did, I honestly didn't give a crap. Fool me once, shame on you, and you know the rest.

But this film, unlike X3 or Wolverine, has a good director and producer. It wasn't rife with turmoil and director changes. It wasn't rushed to meet an unrealistic release date.

And it looks good. Granted, so did X3. The difference here seems to be the talent behind the camera, the lack of huge expectations and a sense of continuity (in style and story) with the first two films.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
But did anyone really think X-Men Origins: Wolverine was going to restore the series to glory? Honestly? I didn't even see the thing in theaters myself. Didn't follow the production either. And the result? I wasn't disappointed. I knew it would suck and when it did, I honestly didn't give a crap. Fool me once, shame on you, and you know the rest.
Same here. Unlike Wolverine, I want to see First Class in the cinema. However, Vaughn has been under studio pressure to deliver the film for 2011, he sounded really stressed in the Empire interview, I myself wonder why the film was made so quickly given the usual three year gap between X-Men films. I suppose Rothman must have been genuinely stunned by the reaction to his meddling in Hood's film and with Marvel Studios gaining prestige I think they genuinely want a good film.

Alientraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

They probably rushed it out to keep the rights from going back to Marvel.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
But given all that happened and the rushed production schedule, we were all pretty naive to expect something on par with the first two films..
Again, out of all of the other issues X3 had in its production process, I'm sure that the production schedule itself didn't have a lot to do with the final outcome of the movie. Firm/tight movie schedules are very common and the perception of a movie being "rushed" is simply that.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

X3 could have survived it's rushed production if it had a clear plan. With First Class they got Singer to set up a script and they moved along with that. Vaughn quit during X3 because they were still rewriting the script as he was supposed to start shooting. If Fox had found a way to keep Singer around like they did with First Class then I'm 100% the movie would have been a lot better.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If matthew vaughn would have been able to do his version of X3 Instead of Fox keep Institsting on rewrites and telling him what they wanted The Last Stand would have been better recieved.Just Imagne If Last Stand would have been like First Class with
Bryan Singer devolping the story and producing and Vaughn directing.It would have been
so better recieved.

The pressure on First Class has been so It can be Fox's Summer 2011 tentpole.They
have largely let Vaughn do what he wants except suggesting Xavier should have hair
In First Class.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

The truth is, none of us really will ever know what all exactly was going on during the production process with X3. We've been given so many different theories, hearing all kinds of rumors, and speculation. At the end of the day, the movie will survive if it has a good director and a good script. I strongly believe that a better and more competent director would've made better use with the material that was given and Ratner came up short. I put a lot of the blame on him. Te way I look at it, if FOX was this devil worshipping studio that everyone thinks it is, then I don't see why Matthew Vaughn would be so eager to come back to doing X-Men with FOX when he could've done anything else. I think he did leave on his own terms combined with a few possible studio conflicts (which is also very common), but this time around, the process came about much smoother than before and the timing worked out for the demands of the film.

Last edited by SuperSoldier985; 05-16-2011 at 06:29 PM.
SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #23
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
X3 could have survived it's rushed production if it had a clear plan. With First Class they got Singer to set up a script and they moved along with that. Vaughn quit during X3 because they were still rewriting the script as he was supposed to start shooting. If Fox had found a way to keep Singer around like they did with First Class then I'm 100% the movie would have been a lot better.
Rewriting a script during pre-production isn't exactly rare. Scripts are altered during filming itself, let alone in the period before it starts. I don't think the rewrites scared Vaughn off, he just felt he couldn't achieve what he wanted in the time available. Ironically, he has had less time with First Class than he would have had with X3. But he's had Singer's help this time.

As for keeping Singer around during X3, that really wouldn't be feasible as he was on the other side of the world making Superman Returns. James Marsden was on the other side of the world with him.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #24
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
As for keeping Singer around during X3, that really wouldn't be feasible as he was on the other side of the world making Superman Returns. James Marsden was on the other side of the world with him.
Even if Singer only stuck around for the early process, it still would have made a large difference. With First Class Singer tossed out the old script and picked a writer to pen a new one. If he had chosen the writers for X3, that alone would have made a huge difference. And that's just assuming Fox really had no other option. We had the same exact situation of Singer having a prior arrangement with another studio and Vaughn being brought in as a replacement, yet the two situations are yielding vastly different outcomes because of Fox's response.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #25
docdoc
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
There are not doing three different series.

FIrst off it Is pretty obvious First Class Is prequel to X-Men and X2 only.The Wolverine
will Ignore X-Men Origins:Wolverine and tells Wolverine's story In japan during the 15 years between when he lost his memory and encounted Rogue.After that Wolverine will
most likely rejoin The X-Men with X4.

The possible First Class trilogy will furhter telling the events leading up to Original X-Men.
X4/X5 will likely be some varatian of the Days of Future past storyline Ignoring The Last Stand.

Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn are not McG so it Is a bad compasion.

It's very simple here Just Ignore The Last Stand and Wolverine.Why IS that so diffucult for some?

I am sick of the consent rebooting going on.

I don't think they're ignoring X3....but they do back up X1,X2 pretty tight. So far I can't see anything they're doing is againsting X3, and after all it does count as X-MEN trilogy along with Singer's work.

Unless there's something I missed out from First Class?

docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote