The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #301
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I can't say I agree with you at all. With the exception of McAvoy and Fassbender the acting in FC was absolutely horrible. And as soon as Xavier and Lensherr met, the movie went downhill. Annoying teenagers, training montages and subpar special effects. I like FC for what it is, better than X3 or XMOW, but better than Thor or Cap? Only in Bizarroworld.
Completely agree. Never understood why FC gets so much love, the characters, writing and acting were all superior in Thor and Cap. With the exception of Fassbender and Mcavoy (who I thought was only OK, not great), every character was pretty stock. And forget about the women in the film, my god. Every girl in that movie was either naked or half naked at some point. Terrible.

JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #302
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

What killed me was that--with the exception of Xavier, Magneto, Beast and Emma Frost--the vast majority of "X-Men" characters (and villians for that matter) were all C, D and E-list characters who no one ever gave a damn about--and still don't.

Take for example Zoe Kravitz' character...The stripper chick with the fly wings and burning spit problems? Useless character with useless powers.

Ditto for the Darwin fish guy. They killed him off early--not because he was black--but because he had mothersucking useless gills.

And the Rip Tide "Storm" rip off...who didn't have one word of dialogue in the whole movie.

It just felt like they wanted to make the supporting characters as shallow and uninteresting as possible so that we'd focus on Xavier's and Magneto's "love story"--something of which had already been played out to death in 3 prior films.

Wasteful. : And that's why MSU is so important right now--even their supporting characters have major pay-offs to balance out the bigger leading roles. Take for example Avengers Black Widow--the physically weakest character on the team is the only one who figured out how to close the portal. That was genius.

FOX is not genius. They're greedy.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 07-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #303
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From Deadline:
Comic-Con: Fox Sets Reboots Of ĎFantastic Fourí, ĎDaredevilí (Minus David Slade), Puts Joe Cornish On ĎRustí
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING
EXCLUSIVE:
* Fox is looking for a director on its other major Marvel reboot, after David Slade just dropped out of Daredevil. The studio has a script it likes, but has to get the film into production by fall or contractually risk having the the property revert to Marvel Studios and Disney. Slade could not make the timing work as he is directing the pilot of the series Hannibal.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #304
Texas
Side-Kick

Ok, what does get the movie into production actually means in regards to this? Anyone?

Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #305
roach
I am the night

or they could pay to extend the right like they have been doing

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #306
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
or they could pay to extend the right like they have been doing
you would be the first i've heard say that...

I don't think they just simply "pay" to extend a contract.. i think a new contract needs drawn up if one is about to expire and they still want to keep the rights.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #307
Lightning Strykez!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

*cries profusely*

Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #308
Lightning Strykez!

Let me just clarify: I am overjoyed with the choice of the director. Disgusted that it's still at Fox.

Hopefully Marvel's hands are ALL OVER this.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #309
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you would be the first i've heard say that...

I don't think they just simply "pay" to extend a contract.. i think a new contract needs drawn up if one is about to expire and they still want to keep the rights.
depends on the clauses in the contract...How else do you think they kept DD so long without having a film in production?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #310
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Let me just clarify: I am overjoyed with the choice of the director. Disgusted that it's still at Fox.

Hopefully Marvel's hands are ALL OVER this.
Marvel's hands are all over all their movies

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #311
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
depends on the clauses in the contract...How else do you think they kept DD so long without having a film in production?
well we don't exactly know how long they had between films to keep the rights... or what exactly "in production" means. But we do now know if the film isn't started principle photography by the end of this year... it's marvels.

[=]
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #312
roach
I am the night

Quote:
well we don't exactly know how long they had between films to keep the rights... or what exactly "in production" means. But we do now know if the film isn't started principle photography by the end of this year... it's marvels.
yup

Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #313
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Marvel's hands are all over all their movies
yeah... truth be told Marvel Has had their hands on every hit and every miss... the Studio owning the rights and making the film still has the most control though.

[=]
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #314
roach
I am the night

two posts where we agree....i must be getting soft in my old age

Old 07-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #315
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

facts are facts haha. when there's no wiggle room all we can do is agree :-P

[=]
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #316
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:
yeah... truth be told Marvel Has had their hands on every hit and every miss... the Studio owning the rights and making the film still has the most control though.
Are you telling me that Marvel is responsible for turkeys like Ghost Rider, Elektra, X3, and those awful Fantastic Four movies just as much as their respective movie studios? Somehow it is hard for me to accept that as fact.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #317
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Sad to hear about the FF reboot at Fox. Of the properties that marvel currently does not have the rights to, FF fits the best within what has been set-up in the MCU. I also thought that FF has the best chance of reverting to Marvel, but I guess I was wrong. As much of a mess the X-Men series has been at Fox, I'd prefer it if it stayed there rather than Marvel getting it back anytime soon; X-Men is a MCU on its own.

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #318
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Are you telling me that Marvel is responsible for turkeys like Ghost Rider, Elektra, X3, and those awful Fantastic Four movies just as much as their respective movie studios? Somehow it is hard for me to accept that as fact.
Marvel has always had a say in the movies that were made, not that much, but enough. Marvel had as much to do with the hiring of Tim Story for the FF movies, The Punisher taking place in Florida, OK'd by Marvel in the scripting stage.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #319
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
responsible? a tiny.. but not completely.

all of marvel's contracts say that if they feel their character is miss used then they have the right to pull the rights away. So someone is obviously agreeing with something. But... they do not have true (or anywhere near full) control of other studios films. They don't finance them so they really don't have much say. Think of it as a silent partner who's names on stuff, but really doesn't have much say though they act like they do.

[=]
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #320
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
What killed me was that--with the exception of Xavier, Magneto, Beast and Emma Frost--the vast majority of "X-Men" characters (and villians for that matter) were all C, D and E-list characters who no one ever gave a damn about--and still don't.

Take for example Zoe Kravitz' character...The stripper chick with the fly wings and burning spit problems? Useless character with useless powers.

Ditto for the Darwin fish guy. They killed him off early--not because he was black--but because he had mothersucking useless gills.

And the Rip Tide "Storm" rip off...who didn't have one word of dialogue in the whole movie.

It just felt like they wanted to make the supporting characters as shallow and uninteresting as possible so that we'd focus on Xavier's and Magneto's "love story"--something of which had already been played out to death in 3 prior films.

Wasteful. : And that's why MSU is so important right now--even their supporting characters have major pay-offs to balance out the bigger leading roles. Take for example Avengers Black Widow--the physically weakest character on the team is the only one who figured out how to close the portal. That was genius.

FOX is not genius. They're greedy.
They also did good things with Sebastian Shaw and Mystique that in film. Also a lot of the characters in Thor weren't well developed, the Warriors 3 were pretty one note, for example. X-Men first Class gave proper focus to the right characters, so I really don't care if Riptide got a line or not in that film.

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #321
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
They also did good things with Sebastian Shaw and Mystique that in film. Also a lot of the characters in Thor weren't well developed, the Warriors 3 were pretty one note, for example. X-Men first Class gave proper focus to the right characters, so I really don't care if Riptide got a line or not in that film.
eh... X-men first class concentrated and really only developed the main 4 characters (xavier, magneto, mystique, and shaw) the movie series is also a "team". so the main characters of that team get the focus.

the main focus of "thor" is Thor... and loki. So they got the focus.

[=]
Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #322
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
eh... X-men first class concentrated and really only developed the main 4 characters (xavier, magneto, mystique, and shaw) the movie series is also a "team". so the main characters of that team get the focus.

the main focus of "thor" is Thor... and loki. So they got the focus.
So what, the point is often with movies with large casts, many characters do not get a lot of focus. I care more about Magneto, Shaw, Xavier and Mystique then I do about Darwin or Riptide, I would rather keep the focus on the important characters, then trying to focus more about Riptide. Riptide is a thug and a follower in the comics, he isn't much of a developed character in the first place.

Also I didn't think Hawkeye was very developed in the Avengers, he was brain washed for most of the film, he didn't get any interesting characterization in the movie.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #323
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

if necessary, I will see to it that marvel/dis gets the other rights back eventually... it must happen, even if one company buys out the other.. (uh oh..)

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #324
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Also I didn't think Hawkeye was very developed in the Avengers, he was brain washed for most of the film, he didn't get any interesting characterization in the movie.
He still fared better compared to almost all of the X-Kids, a prominent Dragon like Emma, and even a significant human character like Moira, who seem like complete cyphers.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #325
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
He still fared better compared to almost all of the X-Kids, a prominent Dragon like Emma, and even a significant human character like Moira, who seem like complete cyphers.
Meh, that doesn't bother me, since the dynamic of the characters they did focus on is good. The could always develop those other characters more in future films and again I don't see how more focus on Darwin or Riptide would have made the film better.