The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #326
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Marvel has always had a say in the movies that were made, not that much, but enough. Marvel had as much to do with the hiring of Tim Story for the FF movies, The Punisher taking place in Florida, OK'd by Marvel in the scripting stage.
Not so sure if that's true.

Tim Story had had a relationship with FOX already, having recently filmed that Taxi movie for them. Jessica Alba had starred on Dark Angel which I think was also a FOX production. That studio at the time seemed to be more into re-hiring alumni both with their actors, producers and writers rather than getting the best qualified people for the jobs.

That's why you had Simon Kinberg's grimy involvement with the FF films, Elektra AND X3.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #327
Boom
I got nothin'

Is Trank writing the script for the FF reboot as well?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #328
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
eh... X-men first class concentrated and really only developed the main 4 characters (xavier, magneto, mystique, and shaw) the movie series is also a "team". so the main characters of that team get the focus.

the main focus of "thor" is Thor... and loki. So they got the focus.
Agreed. The fact that the X-series has never been designed to perform as a true ensemble series is the biggest indicator that Bryan Singer should be driven away. He only focuses on either Logan or Charles/Erik. Everyone else is pushed to the backseat.

Even when he executive produced First Class this still became a problem.

Of the franchise overall, X3 succeeded best in this respect however. And of course, Avengers is now the golden standard of what a true superhero ensemble film should look like.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #329
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Is Trank writing the script for the FF reboot as well?
No word yet, Boom.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #330
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Not so sure if that's true.

Tim Story had had a relationship with FOX already, having recently filmed that Taxi movie for them. Jessica Alba had starred on Dark Angel which I think was also a FOX production. That studio at the time seemed to be more into re-hiring alumni both with their actors, producers and writers rather than getting the best qualified people for the jobs.

That's why you had Simon Kinberg's grimy involvement with the FF films, Elektra AND X3.
That maybe so, but Avi Arad who worked at Marvel and was a producer was also needed to give the okay to Story's hiring.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #331
Boom
I got nothin'

Thankfully, Avi Arad is Sony's problem now.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #332
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
That maybe so, but Avi Arad who worked at Marvel and was a producer was also needed to give the okay to Story's hiring.
Touche. I'll give you that one. I remember him "blessing" Tim back in 2003.

Well, he's a non-factor now. Kevin Feige is not going to play that s____ this time around.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #333
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

He could still have a hand in the FF.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #334
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
He still fared better compared to almost all of the X-Kids, a prominent Dragon like Emma, and even a significant human character like Moira, who seem like complete cyphers.
Agreed. It would have been nice to see Emma more involved in Shaw's scheme, but instead what we got was a fembot. Riptide and Azazel were pretty much empty vessels, and I didn't even know who Angel Salvadore was. As for the "first class," the only things I know about Banshee and Havok are that one doesn't do well with the ladies and the other one was in prison and has boundary issues. Hank did a bit better than they did in terms of development.

Duran Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #335
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
He could still have a hand in the FF.
If it's Avi Arad you're talking about we'll have to remove it. The hand I mean.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #336
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Agreed. It would have been nice to see Emma more involved in Shaw's scheme, but instead what we got was a fembot. Riptide and Azazel were pretty much empty vessels, and I didn't even know who Angel Salvadore was. As for the "first class," the only things I know about Banshee and Havok are that one doesn't do well with the ladies and the other one was in prison and has boundary issues. Hank did a bit better than they did in terms of development.
To be fair that is the most acting range January Jones tends to show.

There is a difference though between First Class and Avengers, Avengers was building off of solo movies, so we really didn't need to spend time getting to know the characters. First Class was an introduction, there's only so much time they can spend on characters without causing the story to drag, hopefully Part 2 will expand on the what makes the characters tick, then the broad characterizations in the first one.

Last edited by S. Grundy; 07-13-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #337
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed. The fact that the X-series has never been designed to perform as a true ensemble series is the biggest indicator that Bryan Singer should be driven away. He only focuses on either Logan or Charles/Erik. Everyone else is pushed to the backseat.

Even when he executive produced First Class this still became a problem.

Of the franchise overall, X3 succeeded best in this respect however. And of course, Avengers is now the golden standard of what a true superhero ensemble film should look like.
The Avengers is the golden standard for what an ensemble film looks like, four years and five solo movies later. If the Avengers would have been our first introduction to the characters, it would have been a mess. It would have been an entertaining mess, but it still would have been a mess.

As for The Last Stand, I wouldn't use it as an example of success, as the biggest complaint about the movie is its inability to tell a good story because it tries to give equal treatment to too many characters and storylines.

Quote:
To fair that is the most acting range January Jones tends to show.

There is a difference though First Class and Avengers, Avengers was building off of solo movies, so we really didn't need to spend time getting to know the characters. First Class was an introduction, there's only so much time they can spend on characters without causing the story to drag, hopefully Part 2 will expand on the what makes the characters tick, then the broad characterizations in the first one.
Bingo.

Last edited by BMM; 07-13-2012 at 01:52 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #338
Sardaukar
Side-Kick

So given what's happening with the DD reboot, can we assume that the maximum amount of time that Fox has to develop projects for its Marvel characters is about 10 years? I wonder if this applies to Sony as well.

Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #339
Aztec
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardaukar View Post
So given what's happening with the DD reboot, can we assume that the maximum amount of time that Fox has to develop projects for its Marvel characters is about 10 years? I wonder if this applies to Sony as well.
It's 7 years for Fox. Don't forget that Elektra was released under the Daredevil property in 2005.

It's never been made public how many years it is for Sony. I guess we'll find out when Ghost Rider reverts back...and it will.

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #340
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
It's 7 years for Fox. Don't forget that Elektra was released under the Daredevil property in 2005.

It's never been made public how many years it is for Sony. I guess we'll find out when Ghost Rider reverts back...and it will.
I'm still not totally sure of that. Yes, Ghost Rider 2 did significantly worse than 1, but it also *cost* a lot less. I think its very likely Sony will produce one more Ghost Rider movie, on about the same budget or smaller, before throwing in the towel ( barring either a major uptick in net profit, or Sony leaving the movie business ).

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #341
CrescentLight

Quote:

Ditto for the Darwin fish guy. They killed him off early--not because he was black--but because he had mothersucking useless gills.

I feel weird just randomly jumping here only to reply to this, but Darwin's ability wasn't that he had gills. It was supposed to be the ability to adapt his body to survive any situation. That is why his body went through all those different changes after he was forced to swallow that bomb ( or for another example, when he stuck his head underwater & he automatically got gills ).

CrescentLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #342
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Well, the latest news on DD reveals that Fox is very serious about rebooting FF, and Marvel has no chance of getting it back, unless it pulled a Green Lantern and bombed massively. As for DD, Fox has until October to get it out, and since it's less than 2 months, I really don't see it happening. The fact that Marvel would try to barter with Fox with extending the movie rights in exchange for Galactus and SS means that they knew Fox couldn't pull it off either, but Fox is unwilling to part with these two even if it means they can get that DD reboot off the ground.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #343
MynAmeIsedDie90
Devourer of Worlds

Hey guys, I don't really post here much but I wanted to share my dream for the MCU.
So after hearing about Daredevil possibly going back to Marvel, I immediately wondered if they would put him into the same universe as the Avengers. Then that escalated into me thinking if ALL of the Marvel superheroes (Including characters that might revert back to Marvel or heroes that haven't been done yet) should be part of the same universe. That's when I had this idea that there should be multiple universes within the MCU. Hopefully, I'm not repeating what other people have said, but my idea goes like this: I feel as if heroes like Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Punisher, etc. belong in a more gritty and dark universe. I don't think they belong in the one established in the Avengers. If these movies end up being made, I hope those particular characters stay within their own universe (i.e. Daredevil can appear in an Iron Fist or Punisher film), but do not ever cross over into the current MCU. So, there'd be a Marvel Knights universe, an Avengers universe, etc. That way it'd be cool to see continuity and variation and not just one gigantic universe with an ever growing amount of super powered beings (just like what Syndrome said in The Incredibles "With everyone super...no one will be."). I also think that the X-men world is big enough as it is, and I never believed they could fit in any of the above universes.

MynAmeIsedDie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #344
redmarvel
The Mischievious Elf

So, I was curious enough to check who has the rights to what and found this site:

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-...ers-carl-6766/

Summarized below:

20th Century FOX - the X-Men film franchise and the “rights” to produce any character that frequently appears in the X-Men Universe. Ultimately, any mutants like Bishop, Cable, Emma Frost, Juggernaut, Havoc, Psylocke, or Quicksilver
20th Century FOX - Deadpool, Daredevil, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer.

New Line Cinema - Blade and Morbius

Columbia Pictures (Sony Pictures) - Spider-Man and Ghost Rider. Venom solo project, Spider-Man 4 and Ghost Rider 2. If Columbia has any interest, they can take Black Cat or Carnage and introduce them in the next film; the same applies to Blackheart, Abigor, Wallow and Gressil.

Marvel also has regained the rights to Luke Cage from Sony Pictures, so the possibility of a Heroes for Hire movie with him and Iron Fist is not out of the question.

Universal has the rights to Namor

Lionsgate Entertainment - Man-Thing and last year’s Punisher: War Zone

Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #345
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

alot has changed since that list.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #346
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/look...el-and-disney/

Daredevil's heading home!

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #347
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarvel View Post
So, I was curious enough to check who has the rights to what and found this site:

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-...ers-carl-6766/

Summarized below:

20th Century FOX - the X-Men film franchise and the “rights” to produce any character that frequently appears in the X-Men Universe. Ultimately, any mutants like Bishop, Cable, Emma Frost, Juggernaut, Havoc, Psylocke, or Quicksilver
20th Century FOX - Deadpool, Daredevil, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer.

New Line Cinema - Blade and Morbius

Columbia Pictures (Sony Pictures) - Spider-Man and Ghost Rider. Venom solo project, Spider-Man 4 and Ghost Rider 2. If Columbia has any interest, they can take Black Cat or Carnage and introduce them in the next film; the same applies to Blackheart, Abigor, Wallow and Gressil.

Marvel also has regained the rights to Luke Cage from Sony Pictures, so the possibility of a Heroes for Hire movie with him and Iron Fist is not out of the question.

Universal has the rights to Namor

Lionsgate Entertainment - Man-Thing and last year’s Punisher: War Zone
that's not been updated... Namor is with Marvel now, as is Punisher and Blade

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #348
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Morbius is probably back with Marvel, too. He was probably acquired as part of the deal with Blade, so if Blade is back, then so is Morbius.

As for Cable, somebody at Marvel said that they had him. Strange, I know, but there it is.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #349
Aztec
Side-Kick

Now Marvel/Disney need only get the rights for Ghost Rider back and they will have a full Marvel Knights roster to work with for the tv show (hopefully).

I feel very good about their chances for Ghost Rider too. I just don't see Sony making another film anytime soon.

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #350
TheWatcher
Dapper

Finally Daredevil will get the movie he deserves.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote