The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #526
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

First Class is a prequel to X3.

Hank's story arc alone is proof of that.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #527
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

yeah Vaughn was obviously pretty indifferent to the continuity issues. there are many inconsistencies. personally i watched fc as a stand-alone story, an alternate history of the x-men told from a different perspective than the Singer films (I refuse to even acknowledge X3).

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #528
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
It wasn't a true reboot until Norton rewrote it. The first three drafts were treated as a sequel. And as far as picking and choosing film continuity, I'd love to know how they (Fox) felt they can do that???

Then when you look at these inconsistencies with even X-1 and X-2

1) In X-Men, Professor Xavier claims he met Erik Lehnsherr when he was 17, in X-Men: First Class he is considerably older during their first meeting.

2) In X-Men, Prof X seems confused as to how Magneto has found a way to shield himself from Cerebro, but in X-Men: First Class, Xavier sees Magneto's helmet and knows what it can do.

3) In X-Men, Prof X says that he and Magneto collaborated on the construction of Cerebro, but in X-Men: First Class, Cerebro was designed by Hank (Beast). The original was constructed by the CIA, and whichever version ends up at the X Mansion is of unknown origin but was definitely built after the Xavier/Magneto split.

4) In X-Men, we wee a different X Mansion from the one that appears in X-Men: First Class.

5) In X-Men: First Class we see Hank turn into the blue furry Beast as a young man in the year 1963. In X2: X-Men United Dr. Hank McCoy appears in a television interview and he is not blue and furry.(though I believed it was explained that some kind of optical image disguise just don't know if that explanation was official or from fan logic)

They obviously didn't work too hard to make sure that the prequel to x1 and x2 linked that well
Your using mostly dialogue.as I keep pointing out In X-Men threads many franchises and TV shows often Ignore things said In Dialogue.Different mansion doesn't mean anything.The human beast was just a brief easter egg.
You will also notice the avengers ignored the fact Slevig was under control of Loki In Thor post credits scene.I will admit magneto's helmet Is a mjor error.

First Class should be seen as prequel to X_Men and X2 with liberties taken with basiclly what Bryan singer said.

First Class was not a reboot.It should stop these arguements.and with Days of future past they will have connections between First class and singer's films.

Untill I hear more defentve I am ignoring wolverine and Last stand from
official films of X-Men series.Just like I ignore hulk from marvel studios films.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #529
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
First Class is a prequel to X3.

Hank's story arc alone is proof of that.
You're not even reading the post. You clearly have tunnel vision when It comes to any flaw that is pointed out from anyone about the masterpiece that is XM-FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins
Your using mostly dialogue.as I keep pointing out In X-Men threads many franchises and TV shows often Ignore things said In Dialogue.Different mansion doesn't mean anything.The human beast was just a brief easter egg.
You will also notice the avengers ignored the fact Slevig was under control of Loki In Thor post credits scene.I will admit magneto's helmet Is a mjor error.
Glad anybody can admit anything though I don't agree that the Avengers ignored anything about Selvig being under the control of Loki as he was always under the control of Loki and doing his bidding from the beginning of the Avengers.

Quote:
First Class should be seen as prequel to X_Men and X2 with liberties taken with basiclly what Bryan singer said.

First Class was not a reboot.It should stop these arguements.and with Days of future past they will have connections between First class and singer's films.

Untill I hear more defentve I am ignoring wolverine and Last stand from
official films of X-Men series.Just like I ignore hulk from marvel studios films.
Fine. I'm "What Everr" ay this point. If your intent on giving them a pass so be it. I guess as much as I had problems with George Lucas and the Star Wars prequels at least you could clearly link those movies to the original Trilogy of movies. Fox's motto is "We can piss on their head and tell them its raining gold" while some people will hold them to standard and some just won't no matter the evidence otherwise. As I was corrected by Hippie_Hunter about TIH really being considered a reboot after the rewrite Fox after all their errors still say "Its a prequel. but we took liberties" and the drones say "OKay whatever you say Master". I have more appreciation for TIH because they told me to ignore Ang Lee's Hulk by calling TIH a reboot. Fans retconing XM-3 and XMO-W actually, on their own without any instruction from the (Fox) Studio definite saying to do so. Fans of Fox's work on X-Men do that (their own retcons) just to ease their mind. Well, sorry I call a "Spade a Spade" so feel free to call a "Spade a Club"

Next discussion...

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #530
luclin999`
New User - Level 0

Regarding Marvel reclaiming the rights to the franchises currently held by Fox and Sony I do think it is unlikely that either company would be willing to relinquish or to sell the properties back to Marvel willingly.

There are however always possibilities..

~ Marvel could reacquire the rights due to the failure to produce clauses such as seems to be happening with Daredevil. This could happen even with the more valuable properties as well. All it takes is for production on one project to fall apart at the wrong moment to force the issue.

~ Disney could step in and just throw money around, but that is unlikely unless they felt the property in question just had to be regained for some special reason.

~ Even with the contracts currently in place there are almost certainly some degree of approval clauses involved to allow Marvel to veto a film or production aspect of a film if it they felt it were headed beyond certain guidelines. These would be in place specifically to prevent a licensee from potentially damaging or misusing a property in a manner which could ruin it's "brand". While present to prevent say Fox from depicting for example.. Wolverine as an effeminate, homosexual pedophile, the exact wording of said clauses could be open enough to interpretation to allow Marvel to challenge, disrupt or delay production on licensed projects to the point where it might simply become too much of a hassle for the licensee to want to continue to pursue them any further. Of course this would likely end up in a costly legal battle which would damage Disney/Marvel's reputation to the point where they would be unlikely to be able to find studios in the future that would be willing to work with them on licensed projects so this would probably be another "last resort" scenario.

~ One other option which is getting closer every year to becoming feasible is the opportunity to exploit the "no live action" clause of the contracts. The contracts disallow Marvel to pursue developing live action versions of the characters which have been farmed out however they can potentially create a fully CGI film franchise with the models based directly upon the actors who have been portraying the characters up to this point. This would allow them to both get around the current license issues as well as address the looming problem of their actors aging past the point where they can continue to portray the characters on the big screen.

After all, the characters in the comics tend to age at a far, far slower rate than their on-screen counterparts and this would allow for say Robert Downey Jr. to be able to still portray Stark in "Iron Man VII" which since based upon the current rate the movies are produced would likely be ready to hit screens in 2025 and would otherwise be difficult for the then 60 year old actor to pull off.

Last edited by luclin999`; 10-24-2012 at 05:10 AM.
luclin999` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #531
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999` View Post
Regarding Marvel reclaiming the rights to the franchises currently held by Fox and Sony I do think it is unlikely that either company would be willing to relinquish or to sell the properties back to Marvel willingly.

There are however always possibilities..

~ Marvel could reacquire the rights due to the failure to produce clauses such as seems to be happening with Daredevil. This could happen even with the more valuable properties as well. All it takes is for production on one project to fall apart at the wrong moment to force the issue.
We could really stop the possibilities on this. It already happened with DD. The only messed up thing is when this happens we may not get to see the reverted character for a while because that situation wasn't planned on. I thinks it foul that the other Studios that hold the characters don't get in front of the situations and say "Hey I'll give if you give". Greed and being stingy damages the fanbase. Maybe Mark Millar can talk some sense in the company he currently works for for a shared universe for the FF and more difficultly the X-Men Franchise..

Quote:
~ Disney could step in and just throw money around, but that is unlikely unless they felt the property in question just had to be regained for some special reason.

~ Even with the contracts currently in place there are almost certainly some degree of approval clauses involved to allow Marvel to veto a film or production aspect of a film if it they felt it were headed beyond certain guidelines. These would be in place specifically to prevent a licensee from potentially damaging or misusing a property in a manner which could ruin it's "brand". While present to prevent say Fox from depicting for example.. Wolverine as an effeminate, homosexual pedophile, the exact wording of said clauses could be open enough to interpretation to allow Marvel to challenge, disrupt or delay production on licensed projects to the point where it might simply become too much of a hassle for the licensee to want to continue to pursue them any further. Of course this would likely end up in a costly legal battle which would damage Disney/Marvel's reputation to the point where they would be unlikely to be able to find studios in the future that would be willing to work with them on licensed projects so this would probably be another "last resort" scenario.

~ One other option which is getting closer every year to becoming feasible is the opportunity to exploit the "no live action" clause of the contracts. The contracts disallow Marvel to pursue developing live action versions of the characters which have been farmed out however they can potentially create a fully CGI film franchise with the models based directly upon the actors who have been portraying the characters up to this point. This would allow them to both get around the current license issues as well as address the looming problem of their actors aging past the point where they can continue to portray the characters on the big screen.

After all, the characters in the comics tend to age at a far, far slower rate than their on-screen counterparts and this would allow for say Robert Downey Jr. to be able to still portray Stark in "Iron Man VII" which since based upon the current rate the movies are produced would likely be ready to hit screens in 2025 and would otherwise be difficult for the then 60 year old actor to pull off.
All of this is moot unless to the last point that CGI is so advanced and I think were at least 20 years away till CGI is so advanced that it can totally replace flesh and blood.

Outside of the rights reverting due to time, Its all moot because from a business standpoint Marvel gets for every film produced by Fox and Sony an upfront licensing fee and a small percentage of from Box Office receipts so it makes no sense to buy back, go to court to stop a movie from being released (and no studio would be that foolish to damage their own property and lose money themselves) or market a CGI film when they still can't in reality stop the other studios from producing a "Live Action" movie without incurring a lengthy court drama paying expensive lawyers..

At this point is a waiting game to see what the studios are gonna do and this "shared universe" between studios depend IMO on how well the MS box office numbers (IM3, T-DW and CA-WS) are vs the X-Men movies (TW and XM-DOFP) for Fox will even entertain giving/loaning rights to characters they hold.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #532
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

They should reintroduce DareDevil in the SHIELD show. Matt Murdock has had some run-ins with them frequently. Make him a recurring and maybe you get a spin off going.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #533
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Even if DD is a February film, that would be okay. He doesn't have to be a big summer movie. I don't think he ever will be. As long as he is part of the shared universe and can cross over when needed, that's fine. He could even just appear as Matt Murdock in future Avengers-related movies in a lawyer capacity, as he often would in the comics. It would be funny though if he meets Happy Hogan and thinks that he reminds him of Foggy Nelson.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #534
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
They should reintroduce DareDevil in the SHIELD show. Matt Murdock has had some run-ins with them frequently. Make him a recurring and maybe you get a spin off going.
I don't know how much involvement I would like SHEILD to have in Street Level heros in the MCU. I've always seen them responsible for world threats and national security then Vigilantes with above normal abilities but not so much they can do widespread damage (unless they really do a near faithful adaption of "Born Again")

What I would like is if Sony and Marvel had a closer partnership and SONY handle the Street Level Stuff( Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, Heroes for Hire) and Marvel handle the more mystical/cosmic (Avengers, FF, Midnight Sons, Dr Strange, Thor, Etc). And Fox really take advantage of their X-Men franchise (Age of Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, Deadpool, Maverick, Etc) and all still share the same expanded MCU but not have to always directly deal with each other or each others issues and villains.

Thats my perfect world in a nutshell and its enough for everybody to make money and just take over the Film industry.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #535
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

At this point the next real watch if for Ghost Rider. Clock is ticking with 4.5yrs to go.
With FF in redevelopment and Spidey and X-Men firmly entrenched they aren't worth at this point discussing.

Ghost Rider, you're on the clock SONY, what if anything are you going to do with the property. It'll be 2018 before you know it.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #536
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post
At this point the next real watch if for Ghost Rider. Clock is ticking with 4.5yrs to go.
With FF in redevelopment and Spidey and X-Men firmly entrenched they aren't worth at this point discussing.

Ghost Rider, you're on the clock SONY, what if anything are you going to do with the property. It'll be 2018 before you know it.
Don't be so quick to take your eyes off the FF as development means nothing. It's when production/filming starts then the clock resets for the FF.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #537
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Don't be so quick to take your eyes off the FF as development means nothing. It's when production/filming starts then the clock resets for the FF.
Yeah and if The Wolverine flops and the next X-men struggles to make a profit, they may not even bother with F4. So keep your fingers crossed.

Wolverine comes out on 7/26/13... lets say it does 55 million that weekend. (That's being generous since there are a couple of films that release the week before that might be good.)

Smurfs 2 comes out on 7/31/13 and 300 pt2 the following Friday. So we're possibly looking at over a 50-60% drop the next week since Smurfs will attract kids and 300 will attract most young adults.

The Wolverine is said to be a stand alone film and there's not a lot of buzz going on about when you compare it to Fox's DOFP.

So I honestly doubt that it will make much more than 160 million domestically. Especially if the 300 sequel is greater than the first.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #538
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
I don't know how much involvement I would like SHEILD to have in Street Level heros in the MCU. I've always seen them responsible for world threats and national security then Vigilantes with above normal abilities but not so much they can do widespread damage (unless they really do a near faithful adaption of "Born Again")
Have his as a Superhero attorney and that pretty much solves the problem. He shows up to defend Luke Cage maybe.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #539
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Have his as a Superhero attorney and that pretty much solves the problem. He shows up to defend Luke Cage maybe.
Thats solves how to get an a appearance by Matt Murdock but how do we get Daredevil action?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #540
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
Yeah and if The Wolverine flops and the next X-men struggles to make a profit, they may not even bother with F4. So keep your fingers crossed.
Thats wishful thinking at best. As long as someone is making money with Marvel characters they'll always think, maybe egotistically, that they can make money with these character rights..

Quote:
Wolverine comes out on 7/26/13... lets say it does 55 million that weekend. (That's being generous since there are a couple of films that release the week before that might be good.)

Smurfs 2 comes out on 7/31/13 and 300 pt2 the following Friday. So we're possibly looking at over a 50-60% drop the next week since Smurfs will attract kids and 300 will attract most young adults.
You might be on point as that is your GA outside of the fanboys.. Very possible

Quote:
The Wolverine is said to be a stand alone film and there's not a lot of buzz going on about when you compare it to Fox's DOFP.

So I honestly doubt that it will make much more than 160 million domestically. Especially if the 300 sequel is greater than the first.
There's not a whole lot of buzz with the X-Men franchise period outside of CB themed sites and as much as this opinion is fought and debated, The Avengers (outside of the Amazing Spider-Man) took a lot of buzz from anything non-Marvel/Disney and they're not giving any room for hype with Iron Man 3 in April.

Marvel is kind of forcing them to the bargaining table by just being successful.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #541
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

What is really pathetic is that WB have all of DC's rights under one umbrella and have done for years, and yet they neither have attempted a shared DC universe nor are barely able to get anything off the ground other than Batman and the odd Superman film.

Marvel don't have all their franchises under one roof, and yet they've been able to make it work. Ironically, if Marvel were in charge of DC, they would probably have more success getting a Justice League movie off the ground with individual films setting the characters up.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #542
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Thats solves how to get an a appearance by Matt Murdock but how do we get Daredevil action?
Like he does in the comics he must don his suit to win the case or whatever...it's not like we're writing Shakespeare here...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #543
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Like he does in the comics he must don his suit to win the case or whatever...it's not like we're writing Shakespeare here...
Winning cases is his day job not the motivation he has to don the costume.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #544
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Winning cases is his day job not the motivation he has to don the costume.
Clearly you haven't read many of his comics. His day-job and superhero job have always been intimately linked.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #545
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Clearly you haven't read many of his comics. His day-job and superhero job have always been intimately linked.
I have a ton.. I wasn't questioning linkage. Its not his motivation. He's a Defense Lawyer, yes. At night he's a vigilante fighting against crime and corruption. He defends the innocent in court so that no innocent would be affected unjustly by a flawed court system. And those who get away with the law are dealt with. He sometimes don the costume on occasions to uncover the truth not just to win the case but to protect the innocent (from a false imprisonment), THATS HIS MOTIVATION thats all I'm saying. But I will say and agree that they can introduce him in a appeal case (instead of Jeryn Hogarth? name maybe wrong) after he (Luke Cage) breaks out of prison and Daredevil gets to the bottom of his innocence on the drug charge and exposes the setup to free him for good. So I guess I answered my own question on how to get Daredevil into costume..

I really want to see Daredevil #178 (Frank Miller) played out on TV or film.

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 10-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #546
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCraig View Post

In the case of Punisher, after Warzone disappointed, Marvel scooped up the rights rather quickly. I suspect we'll see the same thing happen with Ghost Rider.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #547
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
In the case of Punisher, after Warzone disappointed, Marvel scooped up the rights rather quickly. I suspect we'll see the same thing happen with Ghost Rider.
How did the Punisher rights revert so quickly back to Marvel after Warzone? It wasn't several years after the film that it went back to Marvel. Did Marvel buy it back or wait it out?

If a Punisher film was recently made at the time of Warzone, then surely the clock would've reset with its production.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #548
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
How did the Punisher rights revert so quickly back to Marvel after Warzone? It wasn't several years after the film that it went back to Marvel. Did Marvel buy it back or wait it out?

If a Punisher film was recently made at the time of Warzone, then surely the clock would've reset with its production.
I think each studio may've had a different clock to have make movies in perpetuity. While Fox's seem to be 7 years to produce a film or rights revert back, Lionsgate may've only been 2 or 3 years before they revert. I couldn't tell you what was done with Sony and their Marvel Properties

Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #549
OB12
Side-Kick

My impression was that Warzone did so poorly that Lionsgate just handed the rights back over to Marvel. They exhausted what they could of the property and had no more plans for the character. I could be wrong though.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #550
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

And what more, really, do Sony think they can do with Ghost Rider? They should just hand it over since it's not like their movie Spider-Man really fits at all with Ghostie.

At least at Marvel they can do more with the character, even if he's not in his own film.