The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #701
YoungPrime
Banned User

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Another attention reaching comment.. Look its great that you think so highly of First Class and it's so easy to do that being it had to reach a bar that was lowered by XM-LS and XMO-W.. We'll see with this The Wolverine movie how they do when the bar is a little higher. I'm not rushing to watch that though.. I'm sure It'll be Oscar worthy.. At least to you..

And 750mill WW for A Spider-Man movie is a mini failure but, thank you for your enthusiasm. Sony appreciates it, for what thats worth. Spider-Man BTW should've done Batman numbers but alas it fell short.. Betcha MOS does 900 mil or better.

Watch the smoke from Marvel Studios 700+ Mill franchise from each movie.. Like I've said, they need to give up the FF cause they're only gonna lose money, They need to Go all out effects and budget wise for DOFP (Too bad they can't utilize the best in the business in ILM) to again, LOSE MONEY
Hey...at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he, Project, JP and Robin where all the same guy.

Last edited by YoungPrime; 11-04-2012 at 08:05 PM.
YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #702
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
...You do realize studios don't get 100% of the ticket right? That theaters take half of each ticket sold?

That brings it down to $375 M WW for Sony. Against a $200 M budget. With a $100-150 M advertising budget. Amazing Spider-Man made less than $100 M profit total.
Okay....

Works for me if your correct.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #703
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
Lol YoungPrime I don't want a new quarterback, the old one made First Class only last year,which I found to be better than the Cap and Thor films put together and also Amazing Spiderman doing well despite telling a similar origin story.
FC is good, but to say it's better than Cap & Thor movies put together is just ridiculous. Besides, it's the fifth film in the franchise, a franchise that has seen duds such as X3 and XMO: Wolverine which are among the worst CBM ever made. FC actually came and saved the franchise from batting below .500 three straight times. I know that recently Fox has slowly come around from their streak of bad genre movies like Dragonball, AVP, and those F4 movies but let's not get carried away and not acknowledge their failures as well.

Btw, neither FC nor ASM's box office were really remarkable, when they are compared with some of the most successful movies within their franchise.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #704
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
...You do realize studios don't get 100% of the ticket right? That theaters take half of each ticket sold?
The theaters get a lot less than half. During the first few weeks or so of a film's run, the studios get a large majority of the ticket revenue, and the theaters make almost all their profit from concessions. The theaters get a gradually higher percentage of the revenue the longer the film runs, but you know the big money comes in the first couple weeks, and the studio gets most of that.

At least that's how it works domestically. I have no idea how it divides up internationally.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #705
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
FC is good, but to say it's better than Cap & Thor movies put together is just ridiculous. Besides, it's the fifth film in the franchise, a franchise that has seen duds such as X3 and XMO: Wolverine which are among the worst CBM ever made. FC actually came and saved the franchise from batting below .500 three straight times. I know that recently Fox has slowly come around from their streak of bad genre movies like Dragonball, AVP, and those F4 movies but let's not get carried away and not acknowledge their failures as well.

Btw, neither FC nor ASM's box office were really remarkable, when they are compared with some of the most successful movies within their franchise.
I'd take FC over Thor and Cap any day of the week. IMO it was the best CBM of Summer 2011.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #706
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with that, though that doesn't mean I have anything against Cap and Thor. I enjoyed all 3 comic book films and don't think any of them are bad.

I think we can all however agree that FC, Cap, and Thor were all better than Green Lantern and Transformers 3.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #707
JP
Smelly

I have nothing against Cap. One of my favorite MCU films.

I do have everything against Thor, though. But the sequel seems to be fixing everything I hated about the first.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #708
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

All three Marvel films were enjoyable, but FC was a definite step above. Especially the anchor performances by Fassbender and McAvoy. In particular the subtle McAvoy.

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #709
Zant
Side-Kick

This is the only place where people expect superhero reboots to make 1 billion at the box office. Over 700 mill for a reboot, Sony must be sad they made only twice as much as Batman begins lol

Zant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #710
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is the only place where people expect superhero reboots to make 1 billion at the box office. Over 700 mill for a reboot, Sony must be sad they made only twice as much as Batman begins lol
Yep. If you think about it, $750 million is not bad at all given the circumstances TASM was put in. Much like Batman Begins, it carried the burden of being a reboot and the burden of being the first Spider-Man movie after a terrible Spider-Man movie much like how Begins was the first Batman movie after a terrible Batman movie (the quality of the last movie released in a franchise is usually the main factor that affects the box office success of the newest movie released in that franchise). On top of those 2 factors, TASM had a third factor working against it which is that it came out in the same summer as Avengers and TDKR. Batman is on equal terms with Spidey in popularity and iconic image but his movie was the third movie in his franchise and was preceded by 2 great movies, a luxury TASM didn't have being the first movie in a new franchise. Avengers not only brought multiple fanbases together (the Iron Man fanbase, Thor fanbase, Hulk fanbase, Cap fanbase, etc.) but was set up in multiple films and was hyped up for the past 4 years. And yet, TASM still made over $750 million. That not only tops Batman Begins and every other Marvel Studios film to date besides The Avengers but is around 75% of what TDK and TDKR made (both films made around exactly $1 billion).

Basically, even if TASM was the best movie ever made, it wouldn't have made much more money than it already did due to those 3 factors working against it and Sony knew it from the beginning just like how WB knew it with Begins (due to the 2 factors Begins had working against it that I brought up above). Just like how The Dark Knight was always meant to be the movie to prove in box office terms that the Batman reboot was well received by the general public, TASM 2 was always meant to be the movie to prove in box office terms that the Spider-Man reboot was well received by the general public.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #711
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Very true. And recent history would prove them wrong. It was VERY successful considering.

The floor for TASM2 is 900 m.

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #712
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
All three Marvel films were enjoyable, but FC was a definite step above. Especially the anchor performances by Fassbender and McAvoy. In particular the subtle McAvoy.

In my opinion, the exact opposite is true. I found the Marvel films immensely enjoyable, whereas XFC was one of the most disappointing comic book films ever. It squandered a great deal of its potential by screwing up the X franchise's timeline, the characterization was terrible, especially for female characters, and the action was as lame as always in Fox films. The only thing I enjoyed about it was Charles and Eric's relationship, but of course that followed upon what was established in the first three films.

Charles, unfortunately, came across as a very naive person who inadvertently betrayed his own race by giving the CIA too much information about mutantkind as well as the potential means to slaughter them all (Cerebro). He came across less like MLK and more like Uncle Tom, willing to do anything to appease humans up to and including stabbing his fellow mutants in the back. Yet he was willing to let the mass murdering Nazi psychopath Shaw live. When Erik killed Shaw he was thoroughly justified and Charles was just as thoroughly wrong.

The makeup jobs on Raven and Beast were atrocious and distracting. Raven's origin and personality were in complete contrast to the misanthropic loner she was portrayed as in the first three films. (How the hell did Charles convince/force his parents to "adopt" a naked, blue-skinned seven-year-old thief?) She was shown as a loving sister until the last few minutes of the movie, when she inexplicably decided to leave her critically wounded brother lying in the dust and run off with the man who crippled him. And this after merely speaking one-on-one with Erik a few times and making one of the worst seduction attempts ever. Raven's complete 180 degree turn was ridiculous in light of all that went before. How, exactly, she would eventually turn into the mostly-silent assassin she was in X 1-3 was left unexplained.

Shaw's ultimate plan to kill all the humans by causing a nuclear holocaust was pure stupidity. Even if we accept his assumption that he would survive, 99% of other mutants would not. The few who lived would have inherited a nuclear wasteland, with neither the food nor resources to support a mutant population of any size. That's why total nuclear war was referred to by the acronym MAD back in the day: Mutually Assured Destruction. Shaw was supposed to be some sort of genius mastermind so why couldn't he see that?

One other thing: Some of the acting was painfully bad. January Jones....well, what is there to say? Zoe Kravitz is lucky to have famous parents. Not that the script gave them much more to do than wear skimpy costumes and fail at being menacing. Rose McGowan was mediocre as Moira McTaggert, but the problem was that the character was inexplicably downgraded from a major player to an inept junior g-woman. The ultimate insult was having her mind wiped by Xavier at the end. Since Moira was shown utter disrespect all the way through I can't say that was surprising.

In short, X:FC was a mess of a movie and as such I wasn't surprised that it did so poorly at the domestic box office. A total haul of $146 million puts it in FF territory, which is a bad place to be. Fox got lucky with the overseas haul, otherwise they would be looking to reboot their non-reboot next year.

Last edited by xeno000; 11-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #713
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Xeno000, I always said that First Class was a great movie in general but a terrible prequel to the X-Men trilogy and a bad X-Men movie. However, you made a lot of good points that made me reconsider that, the main one being how flawed Shaw's plan was. I definitely have to rewatch the movie. I only saw it once and it was on a plane on my way back home from vacation (I didn't want to see it in theatres because I didn't want to support it due to the continuity and X universe being screwed up so much based on just the trailers and I wanted a reboot for a while now).

Also, I don't think it's fair for First Class to get all the crap for screwing up the timeline and for X-Men Origins: Wolverine to not get any. Both movies have screwed up the timeline and both movies deserve to get criticized for that (not just FC).

Fox needs to seriously reboot the damn franchise already. I know I already said this multiple times but I feel the need to keep saying it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. A miracle could happen though. I didn't expect Spider-Man to be rebooted so soon even though I really wanted a reboot (even before Spider-Man 3). However, as the saying goes, miracles don't happen twice and everyone is entitled to just one .

Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #714
Project862006
Banned User

why do you fanboys give a crap about continuity yeah because the comics based on any character is so high on continuity with how many characters get killed and brought back to life and relationship end with no rhyme or reason,etc.

who cares about continuity i just want good films i could care less if it follow previous films honestly directors having to follow continuity of previous films they didn't direct just cripples their creative integrity

like vaughn and even mangold have said they don't want to be a slave to previous films they want to make good films first and foremost

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #715
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Comics have tons of different writers with different visions and the X-Men comics specifically have been around for about 50 years now. They will naturally not have a continuity that fits together perfectly 100% simply due to that and there is not much you can do to change that. Movies are a whole different case.

Wolverine and First Class didn't have to follow the previous films at all. The problem is that they were intended to be prequels and were marketed as prequels yet they fail as prequels because they contradict a lot of stuff. Had they not have been prequels in the first place, there would've been no problem at all that they contradicted stuff from the main trilogy.

Also, Wolverine and First Class being prequels DOES make the directors slaves to the previous films to an extent. First Class itself is the perfect example. Vaughan wanted to do a reboot that was a period piece set in the 1960's and was going to feature the formation of the original X-Men team with a few add-ins (like Mystique). Fox then tells him the movie has to be a prequel so he has to change most of the line-up as well as a few other subplots in the movie. That hurt the movie right there. Think of how much better it could've been if Fox never forced Vaughan to make a prequel and let him do what he wanted (aka a reboot). Not that the line-up and subplots used were bad but Vaughan's original idea for the movie was a lot better (at least on paper). So Vaughan then made a movie that is still kinda a prequel while still kinda being a reboot. The irony behind this is that Fox messed up the timeline even more now because First Class still doesn't work as a prequel even though it's closer to a prequel than Vaughan's original idea yet it's not exactly a reboot either because it has a few ties to the original trilogy so they can't continue the franchise as a reboot.

Other X-Men movies in the future will suffer in a similar way to how First Class did and all future directors will be "slaves to the previous films" (as you put it) if Fox doesn't wake up and realize they need to get out of prequel territory, reboot the franchise, and let directors do what they want.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #716
Project862006
Banned User

yeah continuity doesn't bother me and i dont see how it hurts a film for some reason everyone here hates x men 3 but somehow get mad when first class doesn't sit in that terrible film's continuity lol

Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #717
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Is there any proof that Vaughn wanted to do a reboot, and Fox forced the prequel on him? I mean Singer was around from the beginning, he came up with the story and was a producer. So that there kinda pokes holes in that theory.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #718
BMM
Side-Kick

No. Vaughn wasn't brought on board until well after the plot and characters were in place. Given his reputation, does anyone think that if Fox tried to force Vaughn's hand he would have stuck around? I don't.

Quote:
SHH: Obviously, you'd have to have Charles and Erik and Raven in this as well, but they had already pre-decided all of the side characters and that Sebastian Shaw would be the villain?

Vaughn:
All the characters were already decided, and I didn't have enough time to then think, "Well, let's change the characters." Back then, we had eleven months, so I just thought, "I gotta get on with it, let's get on with it. I like the story, I like the characters, let me just get the script right and let's start prepping it."
http://www.superherohype.com/feature...matthew-vaughn

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #719
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

SMH with you folks. It doesn't matter whether he wanted to do a reboot or not. It was a shotty prequel POINT BLANK. All this "Great movie crap that comes out of these Fox boys keys are pointless. No matter how GOOD or SUPERIOR that XM-FC was to any Marvel Studios movie NOBODY BOTHERED TO GO TO THE MOVIES TO SEE IT!! So for that it was a EPIC FAIL. Face it. Comic Book audiences and GA alike avoided the movie.. We'll see with The Wolverine but if Fox doen't want to make CBM then don't. If you want to make art, GET A PAINTBRUSH!! CBM like comic books have CONTINUITY!! I mean Why the hire Mark Millar in the first place. Just to pose??

You guys Zant, Sonicradiation, S Grundy, Project and (R.I.B) Alexi need to face facts. X-Men franchise is flawed because FOX MAKES CRAPPY CBM's. They should leave it to the pros stop hacking up Marvel Characters.

AND YES I'M MAD cause the EAGLES SUCK!!!! so don't take it personal

But xeno000 pointed out quite well how XM-FC is flawed and nowhere near the masterpiece you guys claim so give it up.

And to any mods I'm sorry and I'll never speak like this again..

I'm OK now

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #720
Project862006
Banned User

so your argument is box office? even tho 353 WW is nothing to sneeze at

i guess everyone loved the transformers films am i right since it made such a killing at the box office?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #721
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
But xeno000 pointed out quite well how XM-FC is flawed and nowhere near the masterpiece you guys claim so give it up.
You mean the review that claims Rose McGowan plays Moira MacTaggert and also questions how the world's most powerful telepath goes about convincing someone to do something?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #722
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

FC is faaar from perfect, but it was a decent movie and turned a tidy profit at the end of the day. Much better than X3 and Wolverine and an interesting take on the material. A good "proof of concept" movie that justifies a bigger and stranger "sequel". Too bad about Vaughn dropping out.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #723
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

It's pretty clear she meant Rose Byrne. C'mon guy

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #724
BMM
Side-Kick

Obviously. Still funny, though.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #725
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
The theaters get a lot less than half. During the first few weeks or so of a film's run, the studios get a large majority of the ticket revenue, and the theaters make almost all their profit from concessions. The theaters get a gradually higher percentage of the revenue the longer the film runs, but you know the big money comes in the first couple weeks, and the studio gets most of that.

At least that's how it works domestically. I have no idea how it divides up internationally.
I'm also pretty sure that the numbers you see on Wikipedia etc., is the income after the theaters have taken their part. For example, I'm guessing around $1300-1600M were paid for Batman tickets, then the $1000M we see on stat sites, is the income WB got from it.

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote