Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #101
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Default Re: Official First Class News & Speculation Thread: Class Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyJ View Post
I like the way both versions look.
Me too, I though Beast was probably one of the best things about The Last Stand besides the music.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #102
rory
Side-Kick

Really? I found the music in X3 to be a kind of white noise. But then, most of that movie was pretty forgettable...

As far as my two cents for the last page or so of discussion....

- Too soon to tell, but First Class Beast > TLS Beast judging by the screen shots. Totally agree with whoever said TLS Beast just looks like a dude in blue make up. Even if you don't like the feline Beast, you at least have to admit that they did a better job with the make up.

- X3 is just not enjoyable to me on any level at all. Sure, the action is better, but I'll take inferior action if it means I get better story and acting any day of the week. The story in X3 just buzzes by without anything having a chance to resonate, the plot lines are completely predictable, and they kill/cure major characters without exploring the ramifications of it (after Jean kills Scott and Xavier, what does her character do? She just fades into the background until the final battle, where she just stands there and lets mutants die so Magneto could make a chess joke). Whenever that happens, it's usually a symptom of hack writers (like, you know, Zak and Simon) using death to "shake things up" because they're not really creative enough to think of another way to raise the stakes.

So basically, I'm ok with them just ignoring TLS and Wolverine. I just want to actually enjoy an X-Men movie for the first time in eight years.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #103
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
Really? I found the music in X3 to be a kind of white noise. But then, most of that movie was pretty forgettable...

- Too soon to tell, but First Class Beast > TLS Beast judging by the screen shots. Totally agree with whoever said TLS Beast just looks like a dude in blue make up. Even if you don't like the feline Beast, you at least have to admit that they did a better job with the make up.

- X3 is just not enjoyable to me on any level at all. Sure, the action is better, but I'll take inferior action if it means I get better story and acting any day of the week. The story in X3 just buzzes by without anything having a chance to resonate, the plot lines are completely predictable, and they kill/cure major characters without exploring the ramifications of it (after Jean kills Scott and Xavier, what does her character do? She just fades into the background until the final battle, where she just stands there and lets mutants die so Magneto could make a chess joke). Whenever that happens, it's usually a symptom of hack writers (like, you know, Zak and Simon) using death to "shake things up" because they're not really creative enough to think of another way to raise the stakes.

So basically, I'm ok with them just ignoring TLS and Wolverine. I just want to actually enjoy an X-Men movie for the first time in eight years.
There's actually a deleted scene where Magneto is begging her to do something, but she just kinda gives him a ****-eating grin. Not sure why they didn't include that in the final cut

Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #104
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Wow.

The score to The Last Stand is arguably the best of the series. Powell's a master (that trained under Zimmer) and Ottman and Gregson got nothing on him (Powell's up for an Oscar this year).

Quote:

The Beast in First Class is also a dude in blue make-up, they just added CGI to make the colors look more vibrant.

Quote:
- X3 is just not enjoyable to me on any level at all. Sure, the action is better, but I'll take inferior action if it means I get better story and acting any day of the week. The story in X3 just buzzes by without anything having a chance to resonate, the plot lines are completely predictable, and they kill/cure major characters without exploring the ramifications of it (after Jean kills Scott and Xavier, what does her character do? She just fades into the background until the final battle, where she just stands there and lets mutants die so Magneto could make a chess joke).
Well, what did you want her to do? The point of the script was that she was out of control and Magneto failed to control her. She wasn't gonna back him up and even reminded him earlier in the forest that he sounded just like Xavier - barking orders at her.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #105
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Wow.

The score to The Last Stand is arguably the best of the series. Powell's a master (that trained under Zimmer) and Ottman and Gregson got nothing on him (Powell's up for an Oscar this year).
His score may have been the best thing about the film, but it was, by no means, perfect. Anything involving the Phoenix was purely epic and far too good for the film. The X-Men and Brotherhood themes were good as well. Aside from what I mentioned, a lot of it was just misplaced loud noise and overbearing music. Example: Danger Room scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
The Beast in First Class is also a dude in blue make-up, they just added CGI to make the colors look more vibrant.

You're comparing a finished piece with an unapproved image that's hiding in the shadows. Regardless, your point is moot - Grammer looked like a man painted blue throughout the entire film, whereas Hoult clearly looks very much like a Beast. Whether they use CGI or not is irrelevant; they could have done the same with Grammer's Beast too.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #106
JP
Smelly

I remember when we first saw the DR scene on Leno. Everyone hated the score, and so we were later told it was "temp score".

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #107
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

But it wasn't.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #108
Downhere
Jeremiah 33:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I remember when we first saw the DR scene on Leno. Everyone hated the score, and so we were later told it was "temp score".
Not only the score, but the editing as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #109
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
You're comparing a finished piece with an unapproved image that's hiding in the shadows.
The "unapproved" image may be a bit dark but it is clearly the same thing sans the CG. Same nose, eyes, lip, etc, just lighter and more vibrantly colored.

Quote:
Regardless, your point is moot - Grammer looked like a man painted blue throughout the entire film, whereas Hoult clearly looks very much like a Beast. Whether they use CGI or not is irrelevant; they could have done the same with Grammer's Beast too.
Why would they? This is the Hank from 30 years of comic lure

They didn't need to use CG with him.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #110
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

He could definitely have used some CGI... the prosthetics, the color - it all looks incredibly fake. Especially in comparison to Hoult's Beast. The latter looks like something you could actually find in the real world.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #111
JP
Smelly

Grammer's Beast needed CGI enhancements. What kills it for me is how unnatural he looks. His hair is motionless.

Look at the above image. He's hanging upside down and his hair is in the same place.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #112
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Hair gel!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #113
Angamb
Banned User

that last cap of Beast is nice.

If they would have added more elements of a "beast" and add some more hair, something wilder, I think the makeup would have been perfect.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #114
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

His hair's always been anti-gravity. Haven't you seen his crazy unmoving do in the comics and cartoons?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #115
Angamb
Banned User

that was irony, right? hehe

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #116
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Grammer's Beast needed CGI enhancements. What kills it for me is how unnatural he looks.
So this looks "natural" to you?

The very concept of this character is unnatural, so to make a negative judgment on Classic Beast (or any Beast) for looking "unnatural" is redundant.

This is obviously a character that can only exist in fiction. What makes him interesting (or at least made him interesting before Cassaday's interpretation) is that while he looks hulking and brutish he also conveys a real warm quality about himself. That's a vibe they mastered in The Last Stand by hiring Kelsey.

When you look at him, you're looking at a man with some truly unnatural characteristics, yet you still get the defined sense that - he is a man.

With Vaughn's Beast you're looking at an animal. Even if there's real warmth to him, I can't get past the zoo creature in front of me.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #117
JP
Smelly

Stop calling Grammer's Beast "classic Beast". It's not classic Beast. There is no such thing as "classic Beast". There's ape Beast and cat Beast in the comics, then there's Grammer's Beast and Hoult's Beast on film.

Now, I understand that you're a fan of the more ape-like Beast and that's FINE. I am too. But that's not what I'm arguing. The make-up for Beast in The last Stand is poor. That's what it boils down to for me. He looks like a man, moves like a man, and walks like a man. There is nothing Beastly about him. Nothing about his movements are special or unique like Nightcrawler and Mystique.

Last edited by JP; 02-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #118
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

I prefer cat beast. And not just because i'm a cat freak. I just think cat beast portarys a more intelligent appearance, while maintaining the presence of an animalistic nature in regards to looks.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #119
protocida
Side-Kick

Not to mention that the Classic Beast is technically the Human Beast.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #120
jacobed
Banned User

So if you wanna go by that logic than we'll be getting classic and cat beast in First Class. I'm really excited to see some Beast in action.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #121
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

He doesn't look as "Cat-Like" to me as everyone is saying. He looks to me like an amalgamation of a few Beast looks. Firstly, there's an awful lot we don't know about Nicholas Hoult's Beast, and so I won't compare him to Kelsey Grammer's Beast. I will say there is an awful lot to be excited about. First, Kelsey played a politician, and Hoult is clearly playing a scientist, which is what Beast is despite being eloquent and well-read enough to be a good political appointee. Second, we'll get to see the Beast transform, which is a pivotal moment in X-Men lore I'm especially excited to see.

As for the 'Cat' vs. 'Ape' debate. First let me start by saying I'm more of a supporter of Beast's current look. I thought before he looked like some love-child of Wolverine and Nightcrawler (which is funny, because he predates Wolverine's hairdo if I'm not mistaken). I liked some of the cat features because they made him more of what he is: a Beast. Before he was like the Abercrombie and Fitch of monsters. He has pretty clearly defined human features, and for me mutants' appearances should be slightly more jarring than that, especially if their appearances is part of their "curse". As many have noted Kelsey Grammer looks very accessible, which to me isn't the point of the Beast. It's like giving Cyclops' full control of his optic blasts IMO.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #122
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
First, Kelsey played a politician, and Hoult is clearly playing a scientist, which is what Beast is despite being eloquent and well-read enough to be a good political appointee.
Yeah.

Quote:
Second, we'll get to see the Beast transform, which is a pivotal moment in X-Men lore I'm especially excited to see.
Very true. Me too!

Quote:
As for the 'Cat' vs. 'Ape' debate. First let me start by saying I'm more of a supporter of Beast's current look. I thought before he looked like some love-child of Wolverine and Nightcrawler (which is funny, because he predates Wolverine's hairdo if I'm not mistaken).
& tell me what could possibly be wrong with that?!

Quote:
I liked some of the cat features because they made him more of what he is: a Beast. Before he was like the Abercrombie and Fitch of monsters. He has pretty clearly defined human features, and for me mutants' appearances should be slightly more jarring than that, especially if their appearances is part of their "curse". As many have noted Kelsey Grammer looks very accessible, which to me isn't the point of the Beast. It's like giving Cyclops' full control of his optic blasts IMO.
Agreed again. My issue with Cat-Beast is that he just didn't look as awesome (or wasn't drawn as awesomely) as he used to

Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #123
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Isn't there a catbeast vs classicbeast thread?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #124
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
He could definitely have used some CGI... the prosthetics, the color - it all looks incredibly fake. Especially in comparison to Hoult's Beast. The latter looks like something you could actually find in the real world.
I didn't think it looked fake.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #125
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

I wouldn't call Hoult's Beast "catbeast". It's got ape and feline elements. I mean, it just looks beastly. I don't look at it and see a cat, but I don't look at it and see a man, either. Which means they got it right for me.