The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Which Beast do you prefer?
Kelsey Grammer's Original/Classic Beast 41 54.67%
Nicholas Hoult's Cat Beast 34 45.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #26
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

I'm willing to give Hoult's Beast a chance. Whatever the fans want, they're not going to alter the look at this late stage, and with Singer/Vaughn behind it, it should be good. The make-up is good, and I agree it is better make-up than in TLS.

If we can accept that Liev's Sabretooth became Tyler's Sabretooth, then i can accept that Nicholas's Beast matures into Kelsey's Beast.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #27
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I'm willing to give Hoult's Beast a chance. Whatever the fans want, they're not going to alter the look at this late stage, and with Singer/Vaughn behind it, it should be good. The make-up is good, and I agree it is better make-up than in TLS.
Last night I noticed that its not a case of "better" make-up on Cat Beast. Its a case of CG enhancing the colors:

Underneath the CG he's just a guy with make-up - but with a much darker blue. They've made him alot more vibrant with the CG which I think is why Vaughn was unhappy with them releasing a pre-CG shot of him.

Here's some nice caps of Kelsey as Beast, and the make-up isn't at all subpar. Kelsey isn't just painted blue. He's wearing facial prosthetics on his cheekbones, chin and eyebrows to give him that neanderthal with a hint of animal look

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #28
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

I like that Last Stand's beast has a humanity to his design that's accessible, and the eyebrows are tastefully done. But I like that the First Class beast has a more creature-y element to him. But my feelings toward the make-up will come down entirely to how the actor plays him. If the monsterous qualities of the make-up are there to contrast the polite, gentlemanly and scholarly demeanor of Hank, then I'll be happy.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #29
Angamb
Banned User

I hated X3 look.

not sure about First Class yet.... need to see the movie, I suppose.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

See I think TLS Beast looks ok in those pics (mainly 'cause you can recognise KG & his awesome performance straightaway) except for when he tries to act 'beastly' (picture 3 where he's roaring).

Last edited by Iceman; 02-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #31
Angamb
Banned User

really?

some of those caps are horrible to me :S

He looks like some random character on a low budget opera or musical.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #32
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
really?

Are you familiar with Beast before Cassaday's take on him? We're talking 30 years of the character looking like Kelsey did in X3.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
Angamb
Banned User

Im familiar with make-up and all that stuff...

and knowing the comics, tv series of the x-men, and more... I think it wasnt an impressive work from the make-up departament.

In my opinion, it didnt deserve any recognition from any awards.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #34
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
really?

Only ok, not good or great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Are you familiar with Beast before Cassaday's take on him? We're talking 30 years of the character looking like Kelsey did in X3.
I've read every single X-Men comic & TLS makeup/costume doesn't do justice to the look in my book. KG was amazing as Beast, he really nailed it & if it had been a clown in the role who had completely mucked up the character, maybe it would be easier to assess the costume on its own merits. KG's facial expressions & mannerisms were great & you see part of that in these pics. The positive I see is the part that he puts into it, not the costume itself.

I'm a fan of Ape-Beast, not Cat-Beast & if the look matched up to the performance, we'd have a RDJ as Tony Stark on our hands.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #35
Angamb
Banned User

The casting choice was perfect.

but Beast looked like a troll more than Beast from the x-men comics.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #36
BMM
Side-Kick

I hope they make the transition from Beast's neck to his body look better than they did in The Last Stand. In scenes on the X-Jet, it looks like Beast's mutation consists of a crew neck made of fur.

I also hope they manage to avoid any poor looking wire work.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #37
The Guard
Side-Kick

Grammer's Beast was a lot more subtle than the comics version has been since he transformed into the blue version. He wasn't nearly as animalistic as Beast was usually depicted, and I think the look owed a lot to the animated series portrayal of Hank. Still, the classic elements were there, and the makeup was fantastic.

I much prefer the apelike versions of Beast, becase it makes more sense to me that he'd mutate into that than a catlike creature.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #38
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
The casting choice was perfect.

but Beast looked like a troll more than Beast from the x-men comics.
I'm still not convinced you're familiar with the Classic Beast from the comics/TV Series.

Here's a good shot (by Boris Vallejo)

That's the look they were emulating in The Last Stand.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #39
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Both looks IMO have achieved what they're trying to adapt.

Grammar was clearly influenced by X-Men animated and Hoult is straight from the Uncanny X-Men comic pages.

They should add a "both" option to the poll because I find it that we're incredibly lucky to get both Beast iterations and possibly the OG look with the big hands and feet in the beginning.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #40
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I've always hated Feline Beast. I hate the ilogical infantile reason why he was turned into a cat. It's wasn't only a bad idea it was poor writing, just plain bad storytelling. I think it's a shame that they are now bringing that horrible mistake into the movie-verse.
I agree, always hated what they did to Hank I'll never understand why Vaughn prefers that take on him.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #41
Snikt
Side-Kick

My only gripe is FC's Beast's yellow cat eyes. They just throw me off. But it's really hard to tell from that one picture if he'll be completely Cat Beast.

For me, I can easliy see how he can go from the Beast in First Class to the Best in X3. I'm just happy to see Beast again in action.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Wow it really seems like they're aren't many X-fans who like both kitty and ape/humanoid Beast.

I think I may possibly be the only one that likes both of them for absolutely different reasons. Both of them are brilliant.

Oh well.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #43
JP
Smelly

I love them both.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #44
Marvel
Side-Kick

The only time I've stopped reading X-Men over the past few decades was when Grant Morrison and Chuck Austen were butchering the characters with their juvenile writing. Yes, I know a lot of fans like the Morrison stuff but I'm not one of them. I hate Disney Cat Beast and secondary mutations. Joss Whedon made diamond Emma and Cat Beast work but I still don't like the look or concepts born from that era. I'm hoping Singer/Vaughn do the same thing in the film.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #45
Project862006
Banned User

TLS beast make up looked dodgy i am fully aware i am looking at a man in make up

just saying

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #46
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

One of the key aspects that was missing was from X3 in my opinion was the mystery of Beast. What I mean is having a new student stumble upon one of his labs and see this ape/cat like beast mixing chemicals, working out functions on a board, or reading/reciting quotes or poems. I think it would've been nice to have something of that nature take place.

Those who are not familiar with the character would be like "What in the world?"

Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 AM   #47
Silvermoth
Avenger

Bit unfair to do it atm. Give Nicholas a chance!

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #48
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

I did kind of cringe at X3 Beast's fight scenes though.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #49
Heffer Wolf
going for the bronze...

I love this thread, Its basicly whats better, the from your childhood super awesome ape like kelsey grammar beast, or the half second clip of this new age cat beast?

I voted new beast. X3 Beast did look like Kelsey Grammar painted blue.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #50
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

the new look is very much similiar too

i think beasts change is meant to be quite tragic in the first class so id guess if he looked like the last stands beast it wouldnt be such a big deal

GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote