The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Which Beast do you prefer?
Kelsey Grammer's Original/Classic Beast 41 54.67%
Nicholas Hoult's Cat Beast 34 45.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #51
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

Both Beasts look fine. Only personal preference is the deciding factor and with a mere second shot of half First Class Beast's face shown its kind of hard to make that call as of now. Its just a matter of guessing which one will be better. I have no idea why there can be hate for X3's Beast besides the wire work at the end. He looked and acted like Beast. The transformation aspect with the character and how that affects him personally is whats gonna make First Class's Beast better. Im sure the action will be done better as well. But to early to call.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #52
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Default Re: Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat

For me the portrayal of Beast is entirely up to the actor, not the special effects. I've been exposed to so many different Beast "looks" over the years I no longer favor one over the other. When I first started reading comics he had blue fur, then shortly afterwards he went back to his linebacker look on X-Factor, then he rejoined the X-Men and got his blue ape look back for the cartoon, then I really got back into X-Men when Morrison came onboard and saw him in full plush toy mode. To me I never liked him looking like a Nightcrawler/Wolverine love-child, especially as a youngster because I was a Cyclops fan and hated Wolverine. For me I've always liked Beast, partly because Cyclops was such a trusted friend of his, but I've always thought his protrayal trumped his appearance. I like his current Secret Avengers look and it seems a bit of that went into his movie appearance. Long story short, if Nicholas Hoult really embodies that confident, intelligent, suave yet troubled scientist I'll be happy.

Funny aside: I always thought I was like Cyclops, and one of my good friends growing up was a teacher of mine who acted just like Hank McCoy; even kind of looked like him.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
gooti

Not a fan of the cat-monkey, but I like Nicholas Hoult as an actor so I'll get over it, I suppose.

gooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #54
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Off of looks, classic Beast. I think new Beast would look pretty good if he didn't have yellow cat eyes. Those are really distracting in that pic.
I hate the eyes. The entire look reminds me too much of this

And while I loved Coppola's Dracula, Beast just shouldn't look like a wolf-demon/cat.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #55
conan69
Cimmerian

I thought Kelseys Beast was the best thing about TLS.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #56
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Even though the new Beast is alright I prefer Kelsey Grammer's Beast.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #57
cryptic name
No Limits

Grammer was perfect casting for Beast, and the make up was okay, but his proportions were wrong, and he didn't move like Beast at all, too stiff and upright. Hoping Hoult's Beast will be presented a little differently.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #58
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Ive tried to withhold judgement until the movie comes out but Grammer Beast just cant be beat IMO. I was worried before X3 about how he would look but they absolutely nailed it and no scene he was in was awkward. He was perfect. From the split second shot of Cat-beast, I cant say the same.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #59
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
Ive tried to withhold judgement until the movie comes out but Grammer Beast just cant be beat IMO. I was worried before X3 about how he would look but they absolutely nailed it and no scene he was in was awkward. He was perfect. From the split second shot of Cat-beast, I cant say the same.

Yep. Its not even the look for me either, just Grammar's portrayal of the character.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #60
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

I prefer Beast in X3 !!
This one is so freaky

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #61
The Guard
Side-Kick

The thing about Cat Beast...is...if they're planning to connect this film with the previous films at all...I don't see why Hank would evolve from a human, to a cat thing, to a more humanoid Beast. Maybe he was able to cure himself? Crap, now I'm playing the continuity game.

I would imagine Vaughn prefers the cat Beast and things like Stacy X and The Cure because that's when he started reading X-Men comics. That's probably why the Phoenix storyline resembles the later Phoenix arc more than it does the original.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #62
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I see beast In first class as a cross between classic beast and recent beast.

I am certenly no fan of anything Grant Morrison did with the X-men.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #63
Kingslayer
House Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The thing about Cat Beast...is...if they're planning to connect this film with the previous films at all...I don't see why Hank would evolve from a human, to a cat thing, to a more humanoid Beast. Maybe he was able to cure himself? Crap, now I'm playing the continuity game.

I would imagine Vaughn prefers the cat Beast and things like Stacy X and The Cure because that's when he started reading X-Men comics. That's probably why the Phoenix storyline resembles the later Phoenix arc more than it does the original.
Maybe he evolved from human to cat Beast to human to humanoid Beast.

Or maybe they're just eschewing continuity (or even better, blatantly ignoring it!)

Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #64
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

That's always been my theory on Vaughn. Had he started with the older comics, specially the Jim Lee stuff, we woulda gotten Beast's classic look.

I'm just glad he seems to be aiming for a closer-to-the-comics rendition of Magneto's look.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #65
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
I agree, always hated what they did to Hank I'll never understand why Vaughn prefers that take on him.
That's what happens when the head editor doesn't care about a title, or characters, and he gives free reign to any egomaniac writer and allows them to ignore continuity, logic and common sense.

Vaughn probably just likes the visual, for whatever reason. Maybe he's a cat person, who knows. But he doesn't have the connection to Hank that long time readers have and he probably doesn't know why the feline mutation doesn't sit right with a lot of us.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #66
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
That's what happens when the head editor doesn't care about a title, or characters, and he gives free reign to any egomaniac writer and allows them to ignore continuity, logic and common sense.
VERY well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
Vaughn probably just likes the visual, for whatever reason. Maybe he's a cat person, who knows. But he doesn't have the connection to Hank that long time readers have and he probably doesn't know why the feline mutation doesn't sit right with a lot of us.
Dude, did you see the shot comparison above of Vaughn's Beast and Coppola's wolf/demon? They're almost identical. I'm starting to think Bram Stoker's Dracula was definitely an influence on the look of the character aside from Cassaday's Cat Beast.

But yeah, Beast isn't supposed to look terrifying.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #67
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

As I've said before both Beast are amazing and share their strong points.

Kelsey Grammer's by the way isn't fully based on the Lee design as to where it resembles the 90's cartoon's take on Lee's artwork version which looks more humanoid. They nailed it completely in that regard in X3.

As for the new one from Vaughn his hair and even nose is smaller like the Lee design along with some cat influences from Cassaday and even some inspiration from werewolves and Coppola's Dracula even.

Nothing wrong with that but here's Jim Lee's to give people a reminder:

I still see similarities to Hoult's Beast in Lee's drawing.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #68
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
aside from Cassaday's Cat Beast.
You know that Cassaday wasn't responsible for turning Beast into a cat, right?

It was Morrison, hence my egomaniac comment earlier.

Last edited by Endeavor; 02-25-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #69
BMM
Side-Kick

Right. Beast's secondary mutation is a Morrison creation, first popularized by Quitely, not Cassaday.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #70
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

As much as a like Grammer's beast (an I did) the one thing they did kinda lack on, was the body, they didn’t really do anything to make him look more beast like (other then maybe some padding under his suits) though, I am slightly more concerned about this when it comes to Hoult (at least Grammer had a bit of a bigger natural frame to work with) Hoult
(he’s great, don’t get me wrong) but, he is kinda has more of a tall and thin, body type… So, I am hoping to see maybe, a body suit, or some prosthetics,… something to make him seem more beast like… I am kinda having a hard time picturing that beast face, on his body as is…

just saying

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #71
JP
Smelly

Well, Hoult mentioned wearing a full body suit.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #72
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

He seems to be taking up a bit of space in that Blackbird so hopefully Vaughn gave us a more uniquely styled Beast and made his body more abnormally proportioned like the Lee drawing I posted.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #73
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
...I still see similarities to Hoult's Beast in Lee's drawing.
I agree. Hoult’s Beast is an amalgamation of post-serum Beast and post-secondary mutation Beast. He’s not quite traditional, but he’s certainly no cat. Also, you’re right. It appears he may have his familiar short hair.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #74
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Very nice picture comparison. Really puts it into perspective.

Good to see I wasn't the only one to notice he is more of an amalgam than just a direct copy of Quitely or Cassadays Beast. Still looks a lot like Lee's while still sharing some properties of the former artists I mentioned.

Really liking Hoult's Beast. One of the highlights of the trailer, heck the entire trailer is a highlight.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #75
JP
Smelly

It definitely looks more like Lee's than Cassaday's to me.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote