The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #751
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Default Re: Superman's power level

Quote:
before the nuke was fired the film showed that the Avengers were starting to get overwhelmed. Hawkeye was out of arrows and had to make a daring escape from his "nest" and was injured. Cap took a blast to the gut. Stark was getting surrounding and shot to ****. Hulk got utterly blasted.
I can't speak for what may have happened to Cap or Hawkeye, but as for Hulk, that does not translate to down and out. As I said and you saw seconds later he was perfectly timing jumps and catching a falling IM from space. He didn't have a scratch to show for it.

Quote:
As for Supes? I've said before, something around God Neo levels. Hypersonic flight speed and reflexes, easily class 100 strength. Give him Hulk level durability.
I'll buy that!

Quote:
But the key thing is consistency. His power level needs to be consistent. None of this Pre Crisis ******** where his powers are whatever the plot dictates. That's lazy writing.
But that has been his M.O. in comics. But I agree consistency is the key.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #752
The Morningstar
Banned User

You can say that for any and every genre movie... ever. The good guys always win. But the fact remains, there was a sequence that specifically showed the Avengers getting overwhelmed, and if it continued without the portal being shut, they'd lose Manhattan. The intention was clear. Whether you buy it or not is down to you. But considering the nature of the genre, you just gotta go with it.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #753
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
You can say that for any and every genre movie... ever. The good guys always win. But the fact remains, there was a sequence that specifically showed the Avengers getting overwhelmed, and if it continued without the portal being shut, they'd lose Manhattan. The intention was clear. Whether you buy it or not is down to you. But considering the nature of the genre, you just gotta go with it.
The good guys did not win in The Empire Strikes Back or Revenge of the Sith.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #754
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Of course, but it never came down to that moment in where I questioned myself:

'How are they going to survive this? What can they do? etc..."

You say that The Avengers would have lost Manhattan hadn't the portal been shut but from what I saw I didn't see The Avengers losing. I certainly didn't feel the urgency either.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #755
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ra View Post
What's your thoughts on the Man of Steel. Do you prefer Superman as a non emotional physical threat or do you think he should show be closer to the Fleischer animation shorts?
I've said before and I'll say it again, I think Superman's JLU power level would suffice in this film.

Although with a lot more consitency and not standing around waiting to get punched just because he's tough.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #756
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Yeah I never felt that urgency in The Avengers either. Doesn't take away from that the battle itself was a blast of entertainment and visual glory though.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #757
The Morningstar
Banned User

Well the great thing about Zod as a villain is that the stakes will be high. He can hand Supes his ass.

I think it'll be interesting to see the contrast in their fighting styles. Zod is obviously a General, with military experience and training. But then, he isn't used to the extra powers he gets whilst being on Earth. Whilst Kal is used to the extra powers he gains on Earth, he's grown up adjusting to them. But, he hasn't got that training and experience.

It'll be interesting to see, if Synder explores those details, which i hope he does.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #758
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Of course, but it never came down to that moment in where I questioned myself:

'How are they going to survive this? What can they do? etc..."

You say that The Avengers would have lost Manhattan hadn't the portal been shut but from what I saw I didn't see The Avengers losing. I certainly didn't feel the urgency either.
Well this is true.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #759
Gamma Ra
Your - Mr. Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I've said before and I'll say it again, I think Superman's JLU power level would suffice in this film.

Although with a lot more consitency and not standing around waiting to get punched just because he's tough.
Sounds good too my friend.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #760
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post

I agree. I've said it countless times that i'd like to see his power level be somewhere around lifting the weight of an aircraft carrier. That's a 100,000 tons. That's crazy strong, but not planet moving strong.
I'd like to see him really strain when he faces something of that weight too. kinda like we ( or most people ) would in trying to lift 200 lbs.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 05-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #761
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Some of you are exaggerating the size of the landmass superman lifted in returns it was nowhere near the size of a continent or even a country. It was still in its early growth if it was that big it would have totally crushed metropolis.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #762
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Power levels -

Donner Superman > SR Superman > JLU Superman > STAS Superman > Fleischer Superman.

I would prefer JLU level Superman but would be okay even with SR level Superman.

But they should maintain consistency throughout the franchise.

*\S/T*
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #763
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Well the great thing about Zod as a villain is that the stakes will be high. He can hand Supes his ass.

I think it'll be interesting to see the contrast in their fighting styles. Zod is obviously a General, with military experience and training. But then, he isn't used to the extra powers he gets whilst being on Earth. Whilst Kal is used to the extra powers he gains on Earth, he's grown up adjusting to them. But, he hasn't got that training and experience.

It'll be interesting to see, if Synder explores those details, which i hope he does.

Very true. An opportunity waiting to be explored. I dunno what it would add to the story per say, but with their whole realistic angle this needs to be at least hinted at. It could make for some great fighting and some needed non-forced humor.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #764
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Some of you are exaggerating the size of the landmass superman lifted in returns it was nowhere near the size of a continent or even a country. It was still in its early growth if it was that big it would have totally crushed metropolis.
Yeah. It just looked like a large Island to me. city sized even...

Last edited by GreenKToo; 05-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #765
Marvin
Side-Kick

it was attached to the ocean floor bed...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #766
GreenKToo
In the fire

really? I thought it was floating.......kidding.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #767
Marvin
Side-Kick

as humble(city sized) as the surface area may have appeared, for it to be attached to the floor bed implies it's mass is pretty immense.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #768
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I agree. I've said it countless times that i'd like to see his power level be somewhere around lifting the weight of an aircraft carrier. That's a 100,000 tons. That's crazy strong, but not planet moving strong.
I'd like to see him really strain when he faces something of that weight too. kinda like we ( or most people ) would in trying to lift 200 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Power levels -

Donner Superman > SR Superman > JLU Superman > STAS Superman > Fleischer Superman.

I would prefer JLU level Superman but would be okay even with SR level Superman.

But they should maintain consistency throughout the franchise.
You guys can count me in on this.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #769
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
as humble(city sized) as the surface area may have appeared, for it to be attached to the floor bed implies it's mass is pretty immense.
No doubt it was huge, and weighed several hunderd million ( if not billions ) of tons, but the point is it wasnt continent or even country sized like they were making it out to be.
Sure, it would have been eventually, but when he lifted it, it wasn't.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #770
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

On a geeky/technical point… When Supes hoists a great weight in mid air (as opposed to him standing on a surface) we must presume he’s not using brute strength. So if he “strains”, it’s due to intense concentration (mind over matter). I.e., he’s not fatiguing his deltoids or quadriceps, etc.

Last edited by Dr.; 05-23-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #771
elgaz
Side-Kick

If anything, it also shows how dense & strong his skeleton and molecular structure are. Even if an average human had the strength to lift something like that land mass in SR, they would be crushed by the pressure of a few thousand tons (or more) on top of them.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #772
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Fleischer level superman.That way the military can be more of a threat to him.I wouldnt have minded superman being flightless especially after seeing how cool John carters jump scenes were but thered be too many cmparisons to smallville.Howver since we are getting want flight scenes I expect it to beat Neos flight scenes in terms of coolness.I mean

Last edited by Zionite1; 05-23-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #773
Marvin
Side-Kick

it's over 9000 for sure.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #774
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Man, I hate it whenever the idea of a depowered Superman rears it's ugly head and I find myself asking 'why'? I mean, it's not like he's actually omnipotent as is or anything - Supes has enough viable villains who are more powerful than him who can be used without the need to neuter his abilites just so other villains can have a shot at defeating him.

I hear 'Oh, but Supes need to be relatable - no one can relate to a guy who's so powerful' but I'm sorry, a character who can press 10 tonnes is no more relatable than a character who can press 100 or 1000 tonnes - it's a fantasy medium which expects a certain level of suspension of disbelief from it's audience. Additionally, there's the visual aspect for me too - I want to see Superman performing absolutely amazing feats on screen, I dont want to go knowing that I'm only going to get half a Superman [even though, as a fan, I'll end up going regardless].

Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #775
The Morningstar
Banned User

Well that's the thing, what makes these characters relatable and compelling is what is underneath the powers and the fantasy. It's them as people.

You could have the most uberpowerful character ever, in the most outrageous universe ever, but you ground them, as a person, in real, relatable emotions and characteristics.

Closed Thread