The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #126
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Superman's power level

Of course, but I don't want Supes to cut loose too much though, since this is an origin film (or atleast the first of the franchise).

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #127
BigA
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Of course, but I don't want Supes to cut loose too much though, since this is an origin film (or atleast the first of the franchise).
Yeah, probably not a good idea if Supes takes out half the city in a fight, but I hopefully we will get to seem him do some extraordinary things we never seen before. I have confidence Snyder will bring it.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #128
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Keep the power level at same level as in Superman Returns. no less, no more.

*\S/T*
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #129
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Is there anything that officially states how big new Krypton was meant to be? If it's the equivalent of an asteroid, that's about where I'd put Superman's maximum strength.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #130
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

IN SR Supes struggled to lift New Krypton but that was due to Kryptonite poisoning as a piece of the crystal was still stabbed in his back, otherwise he could easily lift more.

*\S/T*
Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #131
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

As long as more doesn't include his most ridiculous silver age feats, I'm fine with it.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #132
Zionite
Side-Kick

Powerlevels like the one In Birthright and Worlds at War are the Kind Im looking forwardto.No to the Silver Age

Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #133
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

That sounds about right, being able to move something the size of Pluto under the most extreme circumstances.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #134
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Why are people so averse to STAS level of power?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #135
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Because he looks like he's about to die when he lifts anything heavier than a car?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #136
Bren
Forevernoob

There's nothing 'wrong' per say, with STAS Supe's power level. It's just that most people know in some way (comics, movies, friends talk etc) of what he's accomplished, so to be shown at a low level might be underwhelming I think.

Personally, I've actually got more of an issue with his superspeed, because that really does eliminate a huge number of threats from the options list. ANY enemy that has normal human reactions, regardless of strength, has no chance unless OTHER aspects are brought in (magic, time warping etc). Superman is untouchable, and therefore virtually unbeatable. I do prefer to have it this way, but that essentially means virtually every one of his physical enemies need to have superspeed.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #137
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
There's nothing 'wrong' per say, with STAS Supe's power level. It's just that most people know in some way (comics, movies, friends talk etc) of what he's accomplished, so to be shown at a low level might be underwhelming I think.

Personally, I've actually got more of an issue with his superspeed, because that really does eliminate a huge number of threats from the options list. ANY enemy that has normal human reactions, regardless of strength, has no chance unless OTHER aspects are brought in (magic, time warping etc). Superman is untouchable, and therefore virtually unbeatable. I do prefer to have it this way, but that essentially means virtually every one of his physical enemies need to have superspeed.
Some other aspects include Mind attacks,Teleportation.Kryptonite Influence

Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #138
Bren
Forevernoob

Indeed, didn't think to list them all. I was just trying to say that if the enemy is all about physicality, then they need superspeed too.

It would be pretty cool seeing Superman being challenged in the ways you mentioned (excluding kryptonite ), but we got Zod/Faora, so not yet (again).

Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #139
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I think Superman's strength level was a bit too high in Superman Returns, I mean seriously, who could pose a threat to him without destroying a freaking city in the process?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #140
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I think Superman's strength level was a bit too high in Superman Returns, I mean seriously, who could pose a threat to him without destroying a freaking city in the process?
Agreed. If he can lift islands when he is dying of Kryptonite poisoning, which is the only ****ing thing that can kill him (in the Donner/Singer-verse), then that lands squarely in too strong.

I was thinking that it might be interesting if the effects of Superman's actions on his environment were realistic. That might make for an interesting idea to limit how much power he can use to solve problems in Metropolis. For example, if he were to break the sound barrier, then that would cause a sonic boom that could harm civilians. Thoughts?

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #141
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Indeed, didn't think to list them all. I was just trying to say that if the enemy is all about physicality, then they need superspeed too.

It would be pretty cool seeing Superman being challenged in the ways you mentioned (excluding kryptonite ), but we got Zod/Faora, so not yet (again).
Again is right my friend.Ive always found it boring to see Superman fight someone with the exact powers as himself.I was hoping to see a Robotic Braniac fight superman(just throw in Teleportation as a math for his superspeed)

Old 05-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #142
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

He shouldn't be so strong that he everything seems so easy. He shouldn't be able to fly around the world so fast that he turns back time. Kryptonite should really do some damage. I don't want to see him just looking like he ate a bad taco, I want to see it actually harming him. I also want to see other things have some afect on him like electricity or getting whacked with a steel I-beam. Keep his powers simple. Super strength, speed, flight, laser vision, x-ray vision. There's no need for super breath, but whatever. No throwing \S/ shaped fruit roll-ups!!! I want to see sweat, bruises, maybe even a bloody lip. I don't want to see him looking all pretty after a big brawl.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #143
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
He shouldn't be so strong that he everything seems so easy. He shouldn't be able to fly around the world so fast that he turns back time. Kryptonite should really do some damage. I don't want to see him just looking like he ate a bad taco, I want to see it actually harming him. I also want to see other things have some afect on him like electricity or getting whacked with a steel I-beam. Keep his powers simple. Super strength, speed, flight, laser vision, x-ray vision. There's no need for super breath, but whatever. No throwing \S/ shaped fruit roll-ups!!! I want to see sweat, bruises, maybe even a bloody lip. I don't want to see him looking all pretty after a big brawl.
Agreed.

Let's also have realistic collateral damage. If he's fighting General Zod, then show cars being tossed, buildings collapsing, and people die. Then have Superman work on repairing the damage. Show us what would happen if such beings were to actually fight each other in a city like Metropolis.

The more you know.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #144
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
Agreed. If he can lift islands when he is dying of Kryptonite poisoning, which is the only ****ing thing that can kill him (in the Donner/Singer-verse), then that lands squarely in too strong.

I was thinking that it might be interesting if the effects of Superman's actions on his environment were realistic. That might make for an interesting idea to limit how much power he can use to solve problems in Metropolis. For example, if he were to break the sound barrier, then that would cause a sonic boom that could harm civilians. Thoughts?
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
Agreed

Although I do want Supes to have his super breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite View Post
Again is right my friend.Ive always found it boring to see Superman fight someone with the exact powers as himself.I was hoping to see a Robotic Braniac fight superman(just throw in Teleportation as a math for his superspeed)
Hell yes, I was hoping to see Superman fight someone that he fight toe to toe without them having the exact same powers as him.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 05-02-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #145
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
Agreed.

Let's also have realistic collateral damage. If he's fighting General Zod, then show cars being tossed, buildings collapsing, and people die. Then have Superman work on repairing the damage. Show us what would happen if such beings were to actually fight each other in a city like Metropolis.
There was collateral damage in the SII fight, it's the whole reason Superman flew away at the end.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #146
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
There was collateral damage in the SII fight, it's the whole reason Superman flew away at the end.
I'm talking bigger and a lot more of it. Buildings collapsing and what not.

The more you know.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #147
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Yep, but this fight should eclipse the fight from Superman II.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #148
Morg
Hayden addict
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
IN SR Supes struggled to lift New Krypton but that was due to Kryptonite poisoning as a piece of the crystal was still stabbed in his back, otherwise he could easily lift more.
You forgot about the crystals that were in the rock, those were poisoning him too

Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #149
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I think Superman should be extremely powerful, but not over do it. Personally, this time around I'd like to see Superman show off his power when fighting a VIllain rather than lifting an island (like in Superman Returns) or something like that. It's time we got a Superman that literally kicks ass.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #150
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

SR failed not because Superman didn't punch anybody, SR sucked because it was slow, sad, and boring. It wasn't fun.

SR had alot of heroic moments/scenes, but if the overall structure of the film is slow and boring, those scenes will get lost in the weeds. Superman 1 (Christopher Reeves) didn't have Superman throw any punches, and it is revered as an all time comic book movie favorite.

Closed Thread