Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #151
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: Superman's power level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I'm talking bigger and a lot more of it. Buildings collapsing and what not.
When you think about it, Superman's not doing his job if buildings are actually collapsing. Superman vs. Captain Marvel doesn't count because that was a newly built, unpopulated city.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #152
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Hypothetically.. Say if Supermans powers are to be considered that great that he is able to fly through the sun and move planets.. does that mean it will need to be shown on screen for us to be aware of such great strength ?

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #153
GreenKToo
In the fire

I think his upper limit should be something like an aircraft carrier or large cruise ship.
That's still ridiculously strong, but more believable and it would make it much easier to have other villains for him to face without having to pull the ole Kryptonite card out.

If you had planet moving superman facing a planet moving Zod, then what would be left of the earth after they got finished fighting. Not much.
I doubt Zod would kindly follow Supes into space so innocents would be spared.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 05-03-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #154
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I think his upper limit should be something like an aircraft carrier or large cruise ship.
That's still ridiculously strong, but more believable and it would make it much easier to have other villains for him to face without having to pull the ole Kryptonite card out.

If you had planet moving superman facing a planet moving Zod, then what would be left of the earth after they got finished fighting. Not much.
He doesn't have to be a planet mover necessarily. There's a long ways to go between being able to lift a cruise ship and push a planet. Like I said before, an asteroid might be a good limit, something the size of a city.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #155
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

I really don’t know if it makes any difference past a certain point. What objectively could he do to defeat the villain if he was say, able to lift a city, or a planet?

Past a certain point it makes little difference.

The villain has a million hostages, spread out with detonators, one wrong move and they all die. -"I know!, I’ll LIFT the PLANET"

It does not hurt the urgency of the situation if he is strong enough to move a planet because it is not useful at all in many situations. Its not an instant win like some say it would be.

When it comes to him vs. Supervillain, well, up power the bad guy to match, and again, planet shaking power is not going to be a trump card against another of equal physical power.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #156
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

I would love to have some sort of spoken or visual moment about supes flying through the sun. not that its important but i find it much more interesting than planet moving

And something iv thought about from time to time... if you were to watch someone move a planet surely it would just be watching someone do a hand stand right?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #157
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal
And something iv thought about from time to time... if you were to watch someone move a planet surely it would just be watching someone do a hand stand right?
It's all about the effect on the audience.....

For me... to demonstrate Superman's power, to wow an audience you must keep his feats relatable...faster than a speeding bullet....more powerful than a locomotive....are perfect descriptions as the comparison is real.......moving planets, flying thru the sun, etc. are all fine and dandy, but the audience has nothing to compare them to...I suppose you could have a scientist in the film detail the temerature of the sun or the force necessary to actually move a planet, but is the audience buying a ticket to a science lesson?........the film should focus on relatable feats, and to do that you don't need Superman at a planet pushing, solar swimming, and hence somewhat unbelievable, level.

It's like the star ship Enterprise, it's hauling it at warp 9, and crosses the immense void between star systems in weeks or months, but is that speed ever relatable.

Last edited by afan; 05-03-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #158
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

I dont think superman flying through the sun or using any of his powers need to be relatable. I think that just takes it a little to far

Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #159
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal View Post
I dont think superman flying through the sun or using any of his powers need to be relatable. I think that just takes it a little to far
In Superman II we see The Man of Steel catch, fly along side for a bit, and then easily accelerate ahead of the Concord, this gives a reality to his speed. That's what I mean by relatable, it gives the audience a referance point to judge his speed by.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #160
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
When you think about it, Superman's not doing his job if buildings are actually collapsing. Superman vs. Captain Marvel doesn't count because that was a newly built, unpopulated city.
Realistically, two Kryptonians like Superman and General Zod battling in a major city like Metropolis is going to collapse buildings due to their immense power.

Quote:

I agree with this 100%. That would be a good idea. I was also thinking that Superman should have to realistically deal with how much pressure he applies to objects. He can lift the weight of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier such as the USS Ronald Reagan, but the actual aircraft carrier itself would fall apart if he were to attempt to lift it. It adds to how Superman sees our world as fragile to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
It's all about the effect on the audience.....

For me... to demonstrate Superman's power, to wow an audience you must keep his feats relatable...faster than a speeding bullet....more powerful than a locomotive....are perfect descriptions as the comparison is real.......moving planets, flying thru the sun, etc. are all fine and dandy, but the audience has nothing to compare them to...I suppose you could have a scientist in the film detail the temerature of the sun or the force necessary to actually move a planet, but is the audience buying a ticket to a science lesson?........the film should focus on relatable feats, and to do that you don't need Superman at a planet pushing, solar swimming, and hence somewhat unbelievable, level.

It's like the star ship Enterprise, it's hauling it at warp 9, and crosses the immense void between star systems in weeks or months, but is that speed ever relatable.
I agree. Superman's feats should a real-world context so we can understand their impressiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
In Superman II we see The Man of Steel catch, fly along side for a bit, and then easily accelerate ahead of the Concord, this gives a reality to his speed. That's what I mean by relatable, it gives the audience a referance point to judge his speed by.
This is a great example.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #161
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
This

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #162
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

The thing about being strong enough to move the planet, realistically, it would kill us all. Think about how everything would shift. We would basically be in a blender...

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #163
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
The thing about being strong enough to move the planet, realistically, it would kill us all. Think about how everything would shift. We would basically be in a blender...
Agreed.

The more you know.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #164
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
He doesn't have to be a planet mover necessarily. There's a long ways to go between being able to lift a cruise ship and push a planet. Like I said before, an asteroid might be a good limit, something the size of a city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
I really don’t know if it makes any difference past a certain point. What objectively could he do to defeat the villain if he was say, able to lift a city, or a planet?

Past a certain point it makes little difference.

The villain has a million hostages, spread out with detonators, one wrong move and they all die. -"I know!, I’ll LIFT the PLANET"

It does not hurt the urgency of the situation if he is strong enough to move a planet because it is not useful at all in many situations. Its not an instant win like some say it would be.

When it comes to him vs. Supervillain, well, up power the bad guy to match, and again, planet shaking power is not going to be a trump card against another of equal physical power.
I agree with both here. Asteroid moving level I'd go with.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #165
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

I'm fine with him being able to move an asteroid but it depends on the size. Sure in space he could move one the size of a city, because the gravity is lighter. On ground level I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to lift the Titanic at maximum. To me, thats pretty reasonable and it leaves room for greater challenges.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #166
KRIM
Banned User

A huge ocean liner being suspended above the water, would make for an awesome visual.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #167
Superman 1265
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
SR failed not because Superman didn't punch anybody, SR sucked because it was slow, sad, and boring. It wasn't fun.

SR had alot of heroic moments/scenes, but if the overall structure of the film is slow and boring, those scenes will get lost in the weeds. Superman 1 (Christopher Reeve) didn't have Superman throw any punches, and it is revered as an all time comic book movie favorite.
Fixed.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #168
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
I'm fine with him being able to move an asteroid but it depends on the size. Sure in space he could move one the size of a city, because the gravity is lighter. On ground level I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to lift the Titanic at maximum. To me, thats pretty reasonable and it leaves room for greater challenges.
I agree

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #169
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
A huge ocean liner being suspended above the water, would make for an awesome visual.
I don't think that should happen. The ocean liner, unless it's explained that Superman has a power of some sort to decrease the pressure on it, will just fall to pieces after all of its weight presses down on area no bigger than a man's hands.

The more you know.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #170
GreenKToo
In the fire

N.K. should have crumbled like a mud pie when he lifted it.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #171
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman 1265 View Post
Fixed!
Fixed!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #172
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

If Superman's powers are going to evolve in MAN OF STEEL, would like to generally have an idea of how powerful he is at any particular moment. This could go a long way to facilitating the audience suspending their disbelief and knowing what can happen and what can't happen in the film. Thoughts?

The more you know.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #173
Ahura Mazda
Side-Kick

I am more hoping asteroid level then ocean liner. He is meant to be among the highest in terms of power and it is not by nerfing his strength that will make for better action.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #174
JAK®
Upstart

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #175
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda View Post
I am more hoping asteroid level then ocean liner. He is meant to be among the highest in terms of power and it is not by nerfing his strength that will make for better action.
Seeing as you don't run into asteroids everyday, I wouldn't mind it if they make a point of showing that Clark doesn't really know how much he can lift -- it could serve as a dramatic moment.

Closed Thread