The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #276
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

I agree. Just because it wasn't as highly praised as the first one doesn't mean it got panned at all. Anyway, it doesn't really make sense as an example, because something like IM 2 is what I think they would need to do for something like Guardians of the Galaxy anyway, use an already established or more recognisable character to introduce people to this other part of the Marvel Universe.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #277
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoulsonFan View Post
Arad namedropped 'em too, so it sounds like it was something they were kicking around even back when he was still at Marvel.
Arad namedrops a lot of stuff. Speaking of which, where's that Venom spin-off?

Marvel -- by Feige's own admission -- has a lot of potential projects that they kick around because they have a lot to think about and a lot that they could adapt. But that doesn't that every single property that gets named in an interview once is in active development.

Personally, I'd only attach the "in development" status to the films that are actually being written or ready to be put in production, which, as of now, is Ant-Man, Runaways, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Black Panther, and all the sequels. Those are the only projects that (at least) actually have writers attached.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #278
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post
Arad namedrops a lot of stuff. Speaking of which, where's that Venom spin-off?
It was............................................... ..in development

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...venom-spin-off

Old 05-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #279
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Yea Iron Man 2 wasn't critically panned. I'd say the reaction was mixed, at worst.

It definitely didn't live up to the first one though.
Oddly enough, I'm one of those who liked it more than the first one. It definitely had problems, but then I didn't like anything in the third act of the first movie until the end press conference. That's what's odd about compairing the Iron Man movies to Thor and Incredible Hulk for me... Those two don't reach the fun heights of the Iron Man movies as often, but they are more consistently solid without as many problems either.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #280
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoulsonFan View Post
It was............................................... ..in development

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...venom-spin-off
The decision to reboot Spider-Man killed the Venom movie, because now they can simply introduce Venom in the Spider-Man franchise... again. Comparing Sony's development of Marvel movies to Marvel Studios is completely pointless because Sony doesn't play by the same rules or even care.

For instance, Ghost Rider 2 only happened because they didn't want to lose the rights to Marvel/Disney. And even then they still greenlit a reboot with a new origin starring the lead from the first film. How does that even work??

Old 05-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #281
roach
I am the night

I heard that Ghost Rider isnt a reboot but a loose sequel

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #282
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I heard that Ghost Rider isnt a reboot but a loose sequel
The script has nothing to do with the first film other than it shares Ghost Rider. It also sets up an out if they want to ditch Johnny Blaze, but I won't spoil it here. It retells his origin too in flashback (like Incredible Hulk), so they could recast Nic Cage without a problem... Even though they took him when he lowered his fee at the eleventh hour.

Anything in the script dealing with Ghost Rider was designed as an excuse for the studio to dump Nicolas Cage before or after the movie... and at the very least distance themselves from the first movie whether they rehired Cage or not. Unfortunately, the script is bogged down with too many stupid politically motivated "creative" decisions from the producers and Sony's upper brass trying to figure out how to salvage a franchise they're being forced to make a movie out of. I just hope Neveldine and Taylor are able to make something fun out of it... Because the script is not fun.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #283
Sebastos
Bebop User

This just came to thought, anyone think there could be a connection with the Dr. Strange and Iron Fist film? It's likely Dr. Strange will come out first then followed by Iron Fist...but I mean both have a connection with Tibet and under different situations they eventually become who they are today. Anyone see where I'm going here?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #284
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
This just came to thought, anyone think there could be a connection with the Dr. Strange and Iron Fist film? It's likely Dr. Strange will come out first then followed by Iron Fist...but I mean both have a connection with Tibet and under different situations they eventually become who they are today. Anyone see where I'm going here?
depends if they keep the Tibetian angle on both characters

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #285
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Strange builds up to other more supernatural properties like Werewolf by Night or a re-introduction of The Nightstalkers. That's what it sound like they're doing anyway.

With their talk of a Luke Cage project, Iron Fist may be getting pusher more toward their Marvel Knights type street-level sandbox.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #286
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Would anyone see a romantic comedy starring Agent Coulson if Marvel decided to branch out?

"He can wrangle Thunder Gods and intimidate the Iron Man. But there is one thing Agent Phil Coulson can't handle... HIS IN-LAWS! "

Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #287
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Would anyone see a romantic comedy starring Agent Coulson if Marvel decided to branch out?

"He can wrangle Thunder Gods and intimidate the Iron Man. But there is one thing Agent Phil Coulson can't handle... HIS IN-LAWS! "
I want to see a movie about Agent Phil Coulson disobeying his father's wishes and heading North to seek his fortune along the Yukon. They have to do a scene where he shoots at a wolf or a bandit.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #288
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Mustafa's pitch for the role of Luke Cage

http://youtu.be/3XbfrJaZSM8

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #289
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
I agree. Just because it wasn't as highly praised as the first one doesn't mean it got panned at all
True, the only people that pan Iron Man 2 are spoiled fan boys.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #290
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Hill View Post
Anything in the script dealing with Ghost Rider was designed as an excuse for the studio to dump Nicolas Cage before or after the movie... and at the very least distance themselves from the first movie whether they rehired Cage or not. Unfortunately, the script is bogged down with too many stupid politically motivated "creative" decisions from the producers and Sony's upper brass trying to figure out how to salvage a franchise they're being forced to make a movie out of. I just hope Neveldine and Taylor are able to make something fun out of it... Because the script is not fun.
Well how does the action sound in the script? Because Ghost Rider 2 may be a mediocre film, but it could have some mind blowing action scenes with it being directed by Neveldine and Taylor and all.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #291
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Well how does the action sound in the script? Because Ghost Rider 2 may be a mediocre film, but it could have some mind blowing action scenes with it being directed by Neveldine and Taylor and all.
Yeah, it could also have Nic Cage nailing his girlfriend in the middle of a crowded street in Chinatown. Awesome.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #292
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Wow, Mustafa want's to star in a 90's action movie! Cool....

Seriously, that role belongs to Idris Elba above all others.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #293
roach
I am the night

people will flip if he's two characters in the same universe

Old 05-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #294
Bubonic
Banned User

Would they do that though?
I can see how Chris Evans can go from the dead FF Fox Franchise to the new Marvel Studios Captain America and Avengers franchises, but Idris Elba is still going to be Thor's Heimdall if Luke Cage is introduced, and he'd probably be introduced in an Avengers movie as opposed to his own film, and would therefore have Thor scenes within that movie, I can see that being problematic.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #295
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Honestly, I didn't really pay attention to the action. The scenes and dialogue were so bad that I couldn't see why the action would matter, especially when that stuff never matters until you see what the director(s) can do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Yeah, it could also have Nic Cage nailing his girlfriend in the middle of a crowded street in Chinatown. Awesome.
I completely understand where you're coming from and I too thought Crank (1) sucked. Then I saw Crank 2 and realized the entire first film was a joke that didn't work. Crank 2 was a revelation and I still can't believe anyone let them make, much less distribute, that movie.

Neveldine and Taylor's outright disinterest in making a serious story while also delivering on crazy action concepts and character beats in Crank 2 sold me on checking out whatever they do next. I heard Gamer was awful, but they say Crank 2 was their response to having had problems on that other film (the films were released out of order).

Considering how the script for Ghost Rider 2 was the perfect example of why storytelling by committee doesn't work, the idea of a drunken, rambling Nic Cage teaming up with the guys who built a Godzilla sequence into their last "action movie"... who the Hell knows what they shot while wandering around in eastern Europe. If they just broke the script and did whatever they want, the end result will likely be at least more interesting than the first film.

Here's to hoping, which is more than I can say for the Daredevil redo or Spider-Man 3D.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #296
roach
I am the night

if he wasnt Heimdall I saw him being Black Panther before Luke Cage

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #297
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic View Post
Would they do that though?
I can see how Chris Evans can go from the dead FF Fox Franchise to the new Marvel Studios Captain America and Avengers franchises, but Idris Elba is still going to be Thor's Heimdall if Luke Cage is introduced, and he'd probably be introduced in an Avengers movie as opposed to his own film, and would therefore have Thor scenes within that movie, I can see that being problematic.
Nobody would even notice. One of my best friends loves The Wire and didn't even realize Elba was in the movie until the credits were rolling. The same will happen if they put Ray Stevenson back as Frank Castle again.

There's a big difference between a clean cut, straight performance from Chris Evans and guys who have had at least massive costume/makeup work, if not a voice enhancement on top of that.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #298
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I think he's more urban though. After seeing him in things like Rocknrolla and the Wire, he would be perfect for Cage.

Also, He's already talked about it publicly, and didn't Scar Jo mention possibly playing another character in Guardians of the Galaxy anyway? You hardly recognise Elba as Heimdall anyway, and they are two characters who would never have any reason to meet.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #299
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Besides, any problems fans would have with it would disappear the moment they saw the first trailer or something, like with Chris Evans. Seeing him as Cap shut a lot of people up. Not everyone, but a lot of people.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #300
Terence Hill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Also, He's already talked about it publicly, and didn't Scar Jo mention possibly playing another character in Guardians of the Galaxy anyway?
We would have to look up the interview, but I think the Moondragon discussion was part of a broader character consideration before she was locked down as Black Widow.

Closed Thread