The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #601
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

After the success of Iron Man 3, I wouldn't be surprised Iron Man 4 gets the May 2016 release date.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #602
roach
I am the night

depends on RDJ

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #603
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

May 2016: Thor 3
May 2017: Captain America 3

Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #604
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Marvel making up for dozing off when they let Sony book 2014 for ASM2

Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #605
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Uh, no. Marvel moved Cap 2 purposely so TASM2 COULD have that slot.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #606
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

A better question to ask would be which Marvel movies will get the Primary Slot (circa Apr-May) and which will get the Secondary Slot (Aug-Nov) in each year.

I'd say 2016 will see Black Panther as the primary, and Thor 3 as the secondary; and 2017 will see Dr. Strange as the primary, and Cap 3 as the secondary. Or vice versa. But I think 2013 and 2014 will be make or break years for the Cap and Thor franchises: if they're megahits, and bring in more than their first installments, sequels will be likely. If not, I see Marvel dropping/cooling off the franchise and going with sequels instead for Hulk and/or GOTG.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #607
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Thor 3 May 1st 2016 would be the top contender. But ASM 3 likely gets fast tracked and Spiderman takes that slot 2/3 years. I don't think Sony has any more patience now that their golden boy Will Smith bombed at the box office. Those are the only franchises I feel can carry that slot. Captain America 3 probably goes the following year. If the second installments bomb, look for Marvel to dump a lot of cash in Dr. Strange, but I'd be shocked if that film opened the summer. They would need a big time actor for Stephen Strange carry that slot. TIH 2 or a Planet Hulk movie in 2017 is another possibility. If Disney feels they are getting bullied out of the early summer window, they will dump SW 7 in that slot, and Marvel movies will augment the early and late quarters nicely.

Last edited by Mr.M; 06-14-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #608
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I don't think Cap or Thor 3 are the mystery movies, that'd be a bit of a letdown
IM4 is a possibility, cuz we're not all completely expecting it to happen
Doc Strange is a high possibility, and then hopefully either BP, Captain Marvel, or Inhumans, so everyone can stop raggin on Avengers for being so pastey white and full o dudes

Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #609
venom892
Got Lucky

It could be they haven't even decided what movies will take this slots and just wanted to have the dates taken already. I seriously doubt phase 3 is completely planned out.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #610
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

One of those is definitely Doctor Strange, probably the 2016 one.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #611
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Thor 3 May 1st 2016 would be the top contender. But ASM 3 likely gets fast tracked and Spiderman takes that slot 2/3 years. I don't think Sony has any more patience now that their golden boy Will Smith bombed at the box office. Those are the only franchises I feel can carry that slot. Captain America 3 probably goes the following year. If the second installments bomb, look for Marvel to dump a lot of cash in Dr. Strange, but I'd be shocked if that film opened the summer. They would need a big time actor for Stephen Strange carry that slot. TIH 2 or a Planet Hulk movie in 2017 is another possibility. If Disney feels they are getting bullied out of the early summer window, they will dump SW 7 in that slot, and Marvel movies will augment the early and late quarters nicely.
Yeah, I agree that the movies in the May slots for 2016/2017 will very likely be known properties with a built-in audience, so Thor and Captain America seem to be the best candidates. Doctor Strange seems inevitable for an upcoming Marvel film project (possibly fall 2016?), so I'd love to see a Ms. Marvel or Black Panther movie with a fall 2017 release date. I could also see TIH 2 as a possibility given all the praise for Ruffalo's portrayal, but I'd say the likelihood of a Planet Hulk movie is slim. It'd require much more Hulk than Banner screen time and I'm not sure Marvel has enough faith in that scenario yet.

I think we'll definitely see new characters in those years though because I feel like they want to rotate characters in and out of the Avengers movies. For instance, I think we'll see RDJ as Stark in A2 but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the last time we see him as Iron Man. It'd be nice to get a rotating cast of characters and as time goes on, they can always recast to bring them back into the fold.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #612
Endeavor
Que bolŠ con el timbeque?

I think Feige already shot down that rumor about a possible Planet Hulk movie.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #613
Blackman
C'mon Son

I think that Thor 3 will be released in 2017, whether it's the mystery film or not is up for debate.

3 years straight of Thor films if you count Avengers (2011-2013), a year off in 2014, and then Avengers 2 in 2015 i can see them taking another year off for Thor instead of having him in 2016

Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #614
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wouldn't be as shocked as you--a then-unproven Thor carried that slot in 2011 with a relative unknown (at the time) as the lead. True, Thor's supporting cast is probably much more expansive than that of Stephen Strange, whose movie might rely more on the strength of the lead actor. But what I'm saying is that I still see Marvel taking risks and trusting their properties, so I wouldn't count them out of putting any of their characters in that slot.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #615
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I wouldn't be as shocked as you--a then-unproven Thor carried that slot in 2011 with a relative unknown (at the time) as the lead. True, Thor's supporting cast is probably much more expansive than that of Stephen Strange, whose movie might rely more on the strength of the lead actor. But what I'm saying is that I still see Marvel taking risks and trusting their properties, so I wouldn't count them out of putting any of their characters in that slot.
I believe Sony was set with Spiderman 4 directed by Raimi and Co. until the movie was inexplicably scrapped due to creative differences with the studio. Otherwise, Thor would have been killed at the box office going up against Pirates and Spidey. They probably would have taken it out of the summer entirely had that been the case, or early spring. It was just right place at the right time. I don't see Sony screwing around this time with a 30 year old Garfield. 32ish by the time we get ASM 3. Expect them to plug that movie into May 2016 and muscle Marvel out of there. The only recourse for Disney is Episode 7. Otherwise, put your movie mid July and hope WB doesn't have a JL or WF movie slated for that year.

Last edited by Mr.M; 06-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #616
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I believe Sony was set with Spiderman 4 directed by Raimi and Co. until the movie was inexplicably scrapped due to creative differences with the studio. Otherwise, Thor would have been killed at the box office going up against Pirates and Spidey. They probably would have taken it out of the summer entirely had that been the case, or early spring. It was just right place at the right time. I don't see Sony screwing around this time with a 30 year old Garfield. 32ish by the time we get ASM 3. Expect them to plug that movie into May 2016 and muscle Marvel out of there. The only recourse for Disney is Episode 7. Otherwise, put your movie mid July and hope WB doesn't have a JL or WF movie slated for that year.
If it was due to creative differences, then I don't think "inexplicably" is the right word, but I'm nitpicking. Anyway, we don't know how Thor would have performed two weeks after Spider-Man 4. Don't underestimate the influence coming off of a bad movie has on a sequel. You can speculate all you want, but there's no point in chasing things that didn't happen.

I don't deny Sony will probably slate ASM3 for 2016, but we can't assume they're in position to bully Marvel out of the early May release date. It's all a game of film studio chicken and right now Marvel has tons of momentum. If Marvel falters with Cap 3 or GOTG, then sure, maybe Sony goes for it, but I don't get why you think any studio would think that a Marvel property holding the early May date is vulnerable at this point.

Oh, and I think you mean Episode 8.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #617
Xeno-noesis
Side-Kick

With this announcement and the story of Jake Gyllenhaal meeting with Marvel recently, I'm thinking one of the films could be Moon Knight. He would be a perfect fit as Marc Spector.

Marvel would not announce films in this way if it's just for the third installment of likely trilogies (Captain America, Thor). There is no surprise or marketing advantage with something already expected.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #618
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 06-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #619
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Even if the second film doesn't do well, I think if the third one opens the summer, it would guarantee decent success at the box-office. Films like Captain America should be released in summer.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 06-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #620
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno-noesis View Post
With this announcement and the story of Jake Gyllenhaal meeting with Marvel recently, I'm thinking one of the films could be Moon Knight. He would be a perfect fit as Marc Spector.

Marvel would not announce films in this way if it's just for the third installment of likely trilogies (Captain America, Thor). There is no surprise or marketing advantage with something already expected.
Jake Gyllenhaal met with Marvel...?

Quote:
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #621
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Jake Gyllenhaal met with Marvel...?
Yeah, that's news to me, too. I can't find anything about it.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #622
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

may 16 will be Dr. Strange. this is almost guaranteed

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 06-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #623
Heliflyer
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
may 16 will be Dr. Strange. this is almost guaranteed
They are currently in talks for the casting. It is Dr. Strange. Marvel is looking to make Stephen Strange the next "hub" character much like Tony Stark has been the hub for Phase I and II.

Strange is going to be one of the most uniquely filmed and visually arresting films in the history of cinema and the story will be fantastic.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #624
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer View Post
They are currently in talks for the casting. It is Dr. Strange. Marvel is looking to make Stephen Strange the next "hub" character much like Tony Stark has been the hub for Phase I and II.

Strange is going to be one of the most uniquely filmed and visually arresting films in the history of cinema and the story will be fantastic.
How do you know this?

Quote:
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #625
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer View Post

source?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Closed Thread