jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
How does his comment warrent this type of reaction lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, that's news to me, too. I can't find anything about it.
It's about a month old. It got it's own thread somewhere here too..don't understand how it slipped by so many people. It was buzzing around the net, I would say I would like him for Pym

Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #627
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I had heard nothing about it either. I had to do some digging to even find what you were talking about, and it goes back to this tweet.

https://twitter.com/TheDrewCarson/st...57004531412994

And he says that it's about him taking on the IM role since RDJ might be leaving. So I can understand why no one had heard of it because it's more than likely not true and came from a guy not associated with any reputable news sites I know of.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #628
Xeno-noesis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Jake Gyllenhaal met with Marvel...?
I believe it was in the Ant-Man forum, in their speculation thread. I just read it a few days ago here on SHH. I'll see if I can track it down.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #629
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=457927

Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #630
Silvermoth
Avenger

I had the oddest dream last night that marvel decided to make one of the two unannounced titles into a Hawkeye movie

Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #631
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliflyer View Post
They are currently in talks for the casting. It is Dr. Strange. Marvel is looking to make Stephen Strange the next "hub" character much like Tony Stark has been the hub for Phase I and II.

Strange is going to be one of the most uniquely filmed and visually arresting films in the history of cinema and the story will be fantastic.
I hope its really a Dr. Strange film, I want to see more solo films for the characters that we haven't before in a live-action film.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #632
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

If F4 reverts in 2014, can Marvel fast track their reboot for May 2017? Then we can have a mega-crossover for TA3 in 2018.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #633
marcvader
Lurker #1

I thought F4 was in casting and previs and therefor not reverting.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #634
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I thought F4 was in casting and previs and therefor not reverting.
It is, yes; and it isn't, to the second part.
FF is still solidly a Fox property that's gearing up right now.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #635
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I suppose its possible it could die before release, but. . . sigh, not very likely even if it turns into a disaster.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #636
Mr.M
Side-Kick

It's been pretty quite on the FF front but it's come too far along at this point. I expect the news to fire up once filming for DoFP is completed and into post-production.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #637
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

So lets say FF3, or reboot actually, comes out and it flops royally. Assuming Fox then shelves the property, do we know how long after that the rights would take to revert back to Marvel?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #638
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
So lets say FF3, or reboot actually, comes out and it flops royally. Assuming Fox then shelves the property, do we know how long after that the rights would take to revert back to Marvel?
I've heard anywhere from 5 to 7 years. Unlike Sony, which sent back to Marvel the rights to Ghost Rider almost immediately after Nic Cage's 2nd outing, FOX is hanging onto these character rights like grim death. While the FF may not have much value to Murdoch's crew, they know that the rights to the Surfer, Doom, Galactus et al have a lot of value to Marvel Studios - probably even more than Spidey or the X-Men. So they'll be looking for a sizeable check to turn them over.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #639
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
If it was due to creative differences, then I don't think "inexplicably" is the right word, but I'm nitpicking. Anyway, we don't know how Thor would have performed two weeks after Spider-Man 4. Don't underestimate the influence coming off of a bad movie has on a sequel. You can speculate all you want, but there's no point in chasing things that didn't happen.

I don't deny Sony will probably slate ASM3 for 2016, but we can't assume they're in position to bully Marvel out of the early May release date. It's all a game of film studio chicken and right now Marvel has tons of momentum. If Marvel falters with Cap 3 or GOTG, then sure, maybe Sony goes for it, but I don't get why you think any studio would think that a Marvel property holding the early May date is vulnerable at this point.

Oh, and I think you mean Episode 8.
With Sony going with mid June 2016 (and taking a page from MoS), it's probably a case of Marvel/Sony working in tandem to edge out the other big studios. May will probably be locked up for Thor 3. Then Sony dominates June. Maybe Marvel would have another big release mid July, but WB may have something to say about that. I think WB are still ticked off with Fox for stealing some of their thunder that month with The Wolverine and DoFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I've heard anywhere from 5 to 7 years. Unlike Sony, which sent back to Marvel the rights to Ghost Rider almost immediately after Nic Cage's 2nd outing, FOX is hanging onto these character rights like grim death. While the FF may not have much value to Murdoch's crew, they know that the rights to the Surfer, Doom, Galactus et al have a lot of value to Marvel Studios - probably even more than Spidey or the X-Men. So they'll be looking for a sizeable check to turn them over.
Yeah but I still think you have to have them for cosmic Marvel. SS and Galactus are A-list characters in that aspect. Then to launch a Defenders franchise, I think SS eventually has to be on that roster. He's pretty well known having already been in a feature film. I personally believe the FF reboot will flop or underperform, and Fox will try to lengthen it out as long as possible. But if Fox doesn't plan on making more movies, you have to buy the rights back and salvage what you can from that property, even if it means paying more as opposed to waiting 7+ years for the property to rot.

Last edited by Mr.M; 06-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #640
Jammat
Side-Kick

If FF flops, the surely another reboot will be seen as farcical by the general public, who already have reservations about reboots.

I was wondering, however, whether Marvel have TV rights to the Fantastic Four? It may be too high budget for a TV series, but there may be value in a series of a super-team of scientists and explorers investigating the Marvel Universe.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #641
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
With Sony going with mid June 2016 (and taking a page from MoS), it's probably a case of Marvel/Sony working in tandem to edge out the other big studios. May will probably be locked up for Thor 3. Then Sony dominates June. Maybe Marvel would have another big release mid July, but WB may have something to say about that. I think WB are still ticked off with Fox for stealing some of their thunder that month with The Wolverine and DoFP.
I see you've changed your tune. Just days after expecting Sony to "muscle Marvel out of there," you're speculating that Marvel and Sony are holding hands now? Marvel and Sony are direct competitors. Sony just called dibs on that early May slot for 2018, an unheard-of 5-year lead time, just so that Marvel couldn't snatch it up the way they just did for 2016 and 2017. That's the move of a competitor. The June 2016 date to me is Sony staying the hell away from Marvel's property in May, setting up its own tent pole in a now-potentially viable spot (thanks to MoS's performance), and hoping it scares other tent poles off.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #642
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
I see you've changed your tune. Just days after expecting Sony to "muscle Marvel out of there," you're speculating that Marvel and Sony are holding hands now? Marvel and Sony are direct competitors. Sony just called dibs on that early May slot for 2018, an unheard-of 5-year lead time, just so that Marvel couldn't snatch it up the way they just did for 2016 and 2017. That's the move of a competitor. The June 2016 date to me is Sony staying the hell away from Marvel's property in May, setting up its own tent pole in a now-potentially viable spot (thanks to MoS's performance), and hoping it scares other tent poles off.
You're right. My bet is Marvel has something pretty big for 2016. Could be IM4 (I doubt that). Thor 3 nothing to be scoffed at assuming the second one does what fanboys think it will do at the box office (I'm not so convinced). I'm surprised if this is the case. I would have expected them to take May. But maybe they know something we don't, and MoS did a little better than expected in June.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #643
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
If F4 reverts in 2014, can Marvel fast track their reboot for May 2017? Then we can have a mega-crossover for TA3 in 2018.
I'm pretty sure FOX would release the FF film in 2015 and they are not gonna let the Daredevil situation happen again.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #644
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno-noesis View Post
With this announcement and the story of Jake Gyllenhaal meeting with Marvel recently, I'm thinking one of the films could be Moon Knight. He would be a perfect fit as Marc Spector.

Marvel would not announce films in this way if it's just for the third installment of likely trilogies (Captain America, Thor). There is no surprise or marketing advantage with something already expected.
I highly doubt it's Moon Knight. Feige and Marvel are looking more at the family friendly properties. This is why I'm still wondering how are they going to do a Strange that is faithful to the comics (sorta) but still fit into the MCU as it is right now. But then again IM3 was one of the darker and Thor 2 is shaping up to be the "darkest" film in the MCU so it can be done. But I don't think Moon Knight is anywhere on their list of movies especially not in a big time slot.

Quote:
I think Sony and Marvel do have some deal worked out. It probably came into be when they reworked their licensing agreement a couple years ago. It's actually very beneficial to them too. If they don't have to compete for the slot they can easily stop other studios from trying to compete with them for it. Marvel could easily take the spot and release at the same time as Sony but they don't because it would hurt both of their bottom lines. Instead they trade off and let Sony take the slot every other Spider-Man film like how we see now. TASM2 has the May slot in 2014 and 2018 while Marvel has it in all the other years. This works out better for them then both trying to compete for the slot. It was no coincidence that Marvel shares two future release dates then Sony comes and does it a couple days later too. And as far as Sony taking the June spot, that probably was due to MoS being successful in it still.

It looks like Marvel is trying to make April, August, and November big months now and WB has made June a big month. I actually like this because now we can see a better spread out of movies so they won't all be trying to crowd in the same months like TASM and TDKR last year.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #645
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

I'm predicting Dr. Strange will be exactly like the character in the comic.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #646
Heliflyer
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post

I'll take that bet. But we need to define a few things and then decide who holds the money and what the spread is.....

Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #647
Frico
Without Fear

Anyone have a link to the story of Gyllenhaal meeting with Marvel? First time I hear about that.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #648
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
I think Sony and Marvel do have some deal worked out. It probably came into be when they reworked their licensing agreement a couple years ago. It's actually very beneficial to them too. If they don't have to compete for the slot they can easily stop other studios from trying to compete with them for it. Marvel could easily take the spot and release at the same time as Sony but they don't because it would hurt both of their bottom lines. Instead they trade off and let Sony take the slot every other Spider-Man film like how we see now. TASM2 has the May slot in 2014 and 2018 while Marvel has it in all the other years. This works out better for them then both trying to compete for the slot. It was no coincidence that Marvel shares two future release dates then Sony comes and does it a couple days later too.
It's not impossible, and there probably has always been some general conflict of interest clause inherent to Sony's license, but it sounds like you're reading into the circumstances of this May slot in particular more than having anything substantial to back up the claim. I mean, it's not like Marvel and Sony are the only two studios developing blockbuster movies that would benefit from that May slot--it's not something they jointly own down the next number of years and they can just divvy them up. It's up to each studio to announce its release dates when it has actual plans to make those dates. And you're right; it was no coincidence that Sony announces its Spider-Man sequels two days after Marvel announces theirs--but I interpret it as Sony reaching to make sure that they, not Marvel, got that May 2018 date.

I just don't think that these highly competitive multi-million dollar studio corporations are all that much into hand-holding and cooperative joint strategy planning. I absolutely think they stay out of each other's way when it comes to release dates, sure, but I don't think it's like some pre-arranged deal or pinky swear. Maybe I'm just cynical like that. Or naive like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
And as far as Sony taking the June spot, that probably was due to MoS being successful in it still.
Yup, that's what I said. The weekend historically has been pretty weak for superhero movies until MoS. That's why I called it "a now-potentially viable spot."

Last edited by spideymouse; 06-20-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #649
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Hope he is. I'm really anticipating the Dr.Strange and Ant Man flicks.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #650
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth I hope so! I want full on strange other dimensions, weird Lovecraftian entities, magic that feels like magic and not advanced tech, etc.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Closed Thread