Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #851
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I think GOTG contributes to Avengers by building up Thanos, in the same way that Thor's movie contributed to Avengers by building up Loki, except, with GOTG, the heroes don't come too. Now, I do think the GOTG should show up for Thanos' big finale in Avengers 3 in some way, but not necessarily as "Avengers."
Would that also include Groot and Rocket Raccoon? An interaction between Rocket and Stark would be epic.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #852
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Would that also include Groot and Rocket Raccoon? An interaction between Rocket and Stark would be epic.
And when that day comes, just imagine all the Tony/Rocket shippers that will come out of the woodwork on tumblr.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #853
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

There wouldn't be a reaction. Tony would be sipping a glass of beer when he sees Rocket, letting it fall out of his hands gracefully and smash into tiny pieces on the floor in disbelief.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #854
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Depends on how much stock you put in El Mayimbe, aka Eh Maybe, over at Latino Review. His alleged big scoop that Marvel was penning a Planet Hulk movie was quickly shot down by Feige & Company, and lots of people (myself included) have accused him of being a Nostra-dumbass ever since; but lately he's been getting some surprising scoops right.

I definitely don't rule out the possibility of a Planet Hulk movie for Phase 3, but I'm sure it'd be significantly different from the source material. I consider the possibility of a World War Hulk *very* remote, however. If there's a Planet Hulk in the works, it most likely won't include any version of the Illuminati, and therefore won't require the sequel that sees Hulk coming back for vengeance against pretty much all humanity.
While I don't see a Planet Hulk movie happening, for all the reasons that have been posted on these forums since El Mayimbe's scoop, if it were to happen, I think a good scenario would be for Ultron to launch Hulk into space to get rid of him, then Planet Hulk happens during Phase III, and Hulk returns to Earth for Avengers 3 (maybe hitching a ride with the GOTG? Hulk and Rocket have a history in the comics...).

Anyway, I don't really see it happening, but it's fun to fit the theoretical puzzle pieces together and come up with ideas of how it might work in the MCU..

EDIT:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #855
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I don't think the Guardians should be forced into the Avengers. If they meet, it should be because cosmic scale badness is happening that requires a superhero *team* team-up.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #856
Donk
Side-Kick

I don't think the Guardians will be forced into the Avengers either but i do think they will atleast make an appearance in one of the movies. It would be fun to see Hulk and Drax smashing everything in sight together though.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #857
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

The Guardians shouldn't be forced into Avengers and Avengers shouldn't be forced into Guardians.

Thanos serves a common link, but not a direct link, they are connected by being in the same universe but not having to meet or interact which is perfect.

So far almost every MCU character is like 2 degrees of seperation from another, it's too connected. Some must remain seperate and if they can't keep Aliens from the other side of the Galaxy seperate then every superhero movie from MS will be a part SHIELD or Avengers, which is a disservice to said characters.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #858
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
There wouldn't be a reaction. Tony would be sipping a glass of beer when he sees Rocket, letting it fall out of his hands gracefully and smash into tiny pieces on the floor in disbelief.

He's seen enough crazy supernatural **** between The Avengers and IM3 anyway. He wouldn't waste perfectly good beer like that.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #859
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't think the Guardians should be forced into the Avengers. If they meet, it should be because cosmic scale badness is happening that requires a superhero *team* team-up.
Agreed!

And a superhero team team-up would be a first in a Marvel movie!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #860
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
^^Agreed. Basically, what droidwarrior says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
The Guardians shouldn't be forced into Avengers and Avengers shouldn't be forced into Guardians.

Thanos serves a common link, but not a direct link, they are connected by being in the same universe but not having to meet or interact which is perfect.

So far almost every MCU character is like 2 degrees of seperation from another, it's too connected. Some must remain seperate and if they can't keep Aliens from the other side of the Galaxy seperate then every superhero movie from MS will be a part SHIELD or Avengers, which is a disservice to said characters.
This is why I hope that Dr. Strange stays relatively separated from the pack that we've met so far, and why it would be nice to get a TV show that isn't SHIELD-related. I'm excited for SHIELD, but I hope that it leads to a series that shows another part of the MCU on a weekly basis.

The interconnectedness has been one of the MCU's strengths from the get-go, but it's large enough now that some properties can branch out without losing that sparkle. In other words, increase the degrees of separation (as droidwarrior put it), while staying in the same universe.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #861
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
He's seen enough crazy supernatural **** between The Avengers and IM3 anyway. He wouldn't waste perfectly good beer like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post

does anyone honestly think Tony Stark drinks beer?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #862
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatNC View Post
They WANT to make a Justice League movie. Have for a while.

I honestly think Marvel beat them to the punch and they don't want to just copy them now so they will wait, biding their time and watching how it goes for Marvel to learn from it.
I can't believe I write that, but all stupid ass decisions WBDC made in the last few years (and days) aside, after they tried to recreate the MCU with the Green Lantern movie and failed miserably they probably did the smartest thing possible: Use a different approach to achieve a similar goal. instead of starting with a few solo franchises they built up to the JL movie with the World's Finest film (and if they are very smart there will be a Trinity movie before JL, but I doubt they are that clever), while lower ranking JL members get their own TV shows to create a following.
Of course, with people like Snyder or Goyer being responsible for their movies I doubt there strategy will succeed the way it should. But there is hope that WBDC will surprise me for once in a positive way. And if the Cranston rumor is true than they made at least one good casting decision*, so who knows?

*Cavill still could have been a great Supes if he just had the material to show it...

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #863
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
does anyone honestly think Tony Stark drinks beer?
Given his drinking problems, no. It was just an example.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #864
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Got a new name for Monica Rambeau if she's ever cast in MCU, but she may a bit too small for Monica.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #865
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Hopefully they start separating the Avengers from S.H.I.E.L.D. that way they could still connect people to the Avengers without them having to connect to S.H.I.E.L.D. At the same time though they could have S.H.I.E.L.D. in pretty much every movie albeit in a small way. Just like how there's almost always at least one agent that shows up in a book. Even if they don't do that certain characters fit well with each other. Ms Marvel could show up in a GotG film helping to fight Ronan or teaming up with him or something. Of course Nova can and hopefully will too. Dr Strange can connect to other characters like Black Panther (supernatural side) or Iron Fist (Heroes for Hire) etc. So it's also possible to connect movies without bringing in the Avengers though hopefully SW and Quicksilver appear in other movies other than Avengers.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #866
Dr. Evil
Gamora

The issue is what happens if Thanos and his Army are too powerful for the current group of Avengers: Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Black Widow, The Hulk and Hawkeye as well as the two newcomers Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch to stop? They would need help. Ms. Marvel isn't going to be enough.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #867
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:

I agree and I don't think they will bring together the Guardians or Avengers. I think the Guardians will be kept seperate.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #868
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I agree and I don't think they will bring together the Guardians or Avengers. I think the Guardians will be kept seperate.
Overall, I agree with your point(s). However, if the two teams came together ORGANICALLY to take on a universe-threatening threat, *cough...Thanos...cough* I don't think it would cheapen either franchise. Nor do I think it would seem forced because of the shared (or more accurately 'to be shared') history both teams have with Thanos.

Let's just say I would NOT hurl peanuts, rotten vegetables and/or my own poop at the screen, were this panel to be recreated at some point in A3.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by fixxxer; 08-27-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags added due to image size.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #869
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Don't get me wrong, it'd be great to see. But I'm not sure they could handle all those characters in one film or at least handle it well. Many characters would get the short end of the stick when it came to screentime.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #870
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Don't get me wrong, it'd be great to see. But I'm not sure they could handle all those characters in one film or at least handle it well. Many characters would get the short end of the stick when it came to screentime.
I know that that seems to be the conventional wisdom when it comes to comic book movies. Things like the third installments of Spidey and X-Men are cited as examples.

However, I think a cast (however large it might be) can be well utilized if each role is both coherent and integral to the larger plot. While both story and character arcs are important, not every character needs one.

I don't really screen time matters. One of my favorite performances of all time is John Turturo's Jesus Quintana in The Big Lebowski. What, 45 seconds of screen time?

Hey! Nobody ****s with the Rocket.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #871
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

If I'm not mistaken Feige or Gunn (one of the two) said the Guardians will be part of the larger story and connect to the rest of the MCU just not in GotG save for like 5% he said.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #872
CrescentLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
What do you mean non canonical? So you don't consider Ms Marvel and Spider-Woman Avengers because they came in under Bendis? I just don't understand the unbridled flak Bendis gets. I guess I'm glad I only started reading during Bendis' run because I feel like sometimes the older readers rather live in nostalgia than live in the now.
Ms.Marvel was an Avenger before Bendis actually. And as far as I can tell Bendis gets criticized for making the Avengers street level, the comics being nothing but talking heads (which are both somewhat matters of opinion) & screwing up the Scarlet Witch. The last ones probably the most understandable considering the damage it did to the character.
That's pretty much the same thing I see over & over again.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #873
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentLight View Post
Ms.Marvel was an Avenger before Bendis actually. And as far as I can tell Bendis gets criticized for making the Avengers street level, the comics being nothing but talking heads (which are both somewhat matters of opinion) & screwing up the Scarlet Witch. The last ones probably the most understandable considering the damage it did to the character.
That's pretty much the same thing I see over & over again.
I give them the Scarlet Witch one, though in my opinion it was less Bendis screwing her and more a culmination of events from before him that lead to what happened. Plus it made for an interesting dilemma with the mutants. I also think it's just fans not wanting things to be shaken up so drastically like they were. Anyways Clint was bought back rather quickly and so was Vision albeit in a different way but eventually even he returned and so did Scott albeit in exchange for his daughter who they need to revive too, I liked her.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #874
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
If I'm not mistaken Feige or Gunn (one of the two) said the Guardians will be part of the larger story and connect to the rest of the MCU just not in GotG save for like 5% he said.
I'm going by memory, but from what I read many months (as many as 6?) back, Feige said that only 5% of the GOTG movie would occur on Earth. While no one explicitly said so, I'm pretty confident that that 5% will contain some reference or Easter egg that ties into the broader MCU.

Feige also more recently stated, when asked about how GOTG fits with the rest, that Thanos will be the thread that connects GOTG to the rest of the MCU. He also added that we'll be getting much more than just a turn and a smile from Thanos in GOTG. Maybe they'll go so far as to throw in a wink this time around.

Also blalex, just a clarification, but was your post in reply to mine, immediately above? If so, I was actually referring to A3 when the proposed team-team-up could plausibly happen. If not, well, never mind.

Last edited by fixxxer; 08-28-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #875
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
I'm going by memory, but from what I read many months (as many as 6?) back, Feige said that 5% of the GOTG movie would occur on Earth. While no one explicitly said so, I'm pretty confident that that 5% will contain some reference or Easter egg that ties into the broader MCU.

Feige also more recently stated, when asked about how GOTG fits with the rest, that Thanos will be the thread that connects GOTG to the rest of the MCU. He also added that we'll be getting much more than just a turn and a smile from Thanos in GOTG. Maybe they'll go so far as to throw in a wink this time around.

Also blalex, just a clarification, but was your post in reply to mine, immediately above? If so, I was actually referring to A3 when the team-team-up could plausibly happen. If not, well, never mind.
Yep. Think about it we know Thanos will make some kind of cameo in Avengers 2 and that he's the mastermind behind a lot of the past and future events in the MCU. The Guardians are going to have a bone to pick with him by the end of GotG and I'm sure they'll make an appearance in A3 for the final battle. It wouldn't fit to end their story at only defeating Ronan (who is the confirmed main villain for the movie [Thanos' general]).

And that was in response to Destructus86's post but also in response to what everyone was saying. But yeah, I figured you meant A3 since that'll be the culminating battle.