CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

K-FEI DELIVERS INTERVIEWS

THAT MEANS IT'S TIME TO POST
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...n_solo_films/#

One interesting thing here:
Quote:
We even asked about Captain America’s “Invaders” group that appears in his WWII storyline, but Feige said it doesn’t sound like there’s much of a plan there at all despite a small pocket of fans who would love to see that era revisited. “We sort of [pause], touch-upon them in ‘Captain America,’ he said somewhat gingerly, “So right now, there’s nothing yet. We’ll see how Cap does,” he smiled.
It's possible there's some kind of Namor reference in Captain America, maybe a reference to the Human Torch. It could be (probably is) something as slight as those blips on the map in Iron Man 2. Having the Invaders in a Cap sequel would be extremely radical.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/blogs/p...121096434.html
Quote:
Feige says the company also wants to be careful not to overuse its existing franchises as launching pads for other properties with less public awareness. “The whole idea of the cinematic universe is another tool for storytelling that you have to use wisely,” he says. “I would start to be turned off to the whole idea if it ever started to feel like a gimmick. Like Tony Stark saying 'Oh, Pepper, I've hurt my leg – let me go see this doctor. Oh hello, Dr. Strange.' I don't think that there will be a lot of cause of that kind of thing. But there are opportunities, like Hawkeye in 'Thor' and Black Widow in 'Iron Man,' if it serves the story anyway, to have a nod in there. I do see 'The Avengers' franchise as something in which other Avenger characters might make their first appearance in an 'Avengers' movie. Then maybe if audiences respond to them they could spinout into their own movies.”
Avengers movies are a really natural place to toss in new characters. I do think that, after Avengers, people will finally "get" the shared universe thing and understand why SHIELD agents and etc. keep showing up in all these movies. I doubt they'll ever see a response as whiny and confused as the one they got to Iron Man 2.

Quote:
With any number of Marvel characters in various stages of development (“Ant-Man” is close to a go with director Edgar Wright), which slightly off-kilter comic book hero does Feige personally hope the company can make work? “The next one is Dr. Strange,” he reveals. “I'd like to tap into two things: tap more into the world of magic – which 'Thor' isn’t, really, but Strange entirely is, and I like that a lot; and then also continue to explore this sort of cosmic side of our universe, which Thor is a big part of, but not the only part. So those two things, in addition to the solid foundation of what's happening on Earth, I think, could be great.”
That he's this candid about Strange probably means they're feeling pretty OK about the script.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #152
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post
Not confirmed, but since it's shooting next year (and was originally slated to shoot last March) a 2013 release seems likely.
They never said it's shooting next year. The last word on Runaways is that it's postponed "indefinitely."
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/marv...down-runaways/

Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #153
marcvader
Lurker #1

I wonder who they have in mind to introduce in Avengers that we don't know of yet. The Pyms, T'Challa, Strange?

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #154
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I wonder who they have in mind to introduce in Avengers that we don't know of yet. The Pyms, T'Challa, Strange?
A pre-requisite here is probably that they've already signed the director for the film and involved them in the casting process. Only Ant-Man has a director right now. It's possible that they could work with Edgar Wright and introduce Ant-Dude in Avengers. They could do the same for any of the other characters, if they made the deals and found spots for these appearances (though the movie sounds pretty stuffed as it is.)

Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #155
marcvader
Lurker #1

What if these signings are in the works or underwraps as we speak. This movie has only started filming and has a ways to go. That's plenty of time for things to happen. Also these roles are definitely small ones but maybe enough to make an impression.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #156
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
What if these signings are in the works or underwraps as we speak. This movie has only started filming and has a ways to go. That's plenty of time for things to happen. Also these roles are definitely small ones but maybe enough to make an impression.
If nothing else, they can throw damn near anything they want to in as a "credit cookie."

Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #157
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

They also could do the Ant-Man scenes when they do reshoots, so Edgar would have time to cast Ant-Man even without them filming Pym scenes now.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #158
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoulsonFan View Post
They never said it's shooting next year. The last word on Runaways is that it's postponed "indefinitely."
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/marv...down-runaways/
This was the last word:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/...e-on-for-2012/

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #159
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
K-FEI DELIVERS INTERVIEWS

THAT MEANS IT'S TIME TO POST
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...n_solo_films/#

One interesting thing here:
It's possible there's some kind of Namor reference in Captain America, maybe a reference to the Human Torch. It could be (probably is) something as slight as those blips on the map in Iron Man 2. Having the Invaders in a Cap sequel would be extremely radical.
I always liked the original human-torch but i doubt we'll ever see him in a film.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #160
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not impossible, but that's just an anonymous tip to Johnston. To me, a stronger indicator of Runaways' status is that, in all these recent interviews, Feige doesn't mention it at all. He'll talk about Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, though.

Oh, dang, the main girl in Runaways was a witch, right? There's no way they're casually introducing magic to the MCU through one of a half dozen characters in this teen ensemble thing. They're probably still planning on doing it, but not 'till after the Dr. Strange movie at the earliest.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #161
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...-agent-coulson

Interview with Agent Phil Coulson. No new information. Required reading.

Edit: ...a terrifying suggestion from the comments:
Quote:
what if at the end of avengers after they fight like hydra or whatever, after the credits, coulson looks into the mirror, then becomes a skrull.
...it chills the blood...

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #162
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Why would Coulson watch himself transform?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #163
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I love Thor!

Best movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #164
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Quote:
It's not impossible, but that's just an anonymous tip to Johnston. To me, a stronger indicator of Runaways' status is that, in all these recent interviews, Feige doesn't mention it at all. He'll talk about Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, though.
Just a few months ago (after the Runways delay), Feige was doing a Q&A with Collider, and one of his responses was that The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, and Runaways were all on slate for after Thor and Cap.

Quote:
After AVENGERS we know you’re looking at IRON MAN 3, THE RUNAWAYS and possibly Edgar Wright’s ANT-MAN. Anything else you care to share?

KevinFeige: FilmbuffRich, Those 4 films are gonna take up the next three years of my life!
Runaways is also much further along in production than any other post-Avengers movie. It has a finished script, a director, and casting has been underway for a long time now. I'd be surprised if they delayed it any further than a 2013 release.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #165
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just a few months ago (after the Runways delay), Feige was doing a Q&A with Collider, and one of his responses was that The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, and Runaways were all on slate for after Thor and Cap.
Runaways is also much further along in production than any other post-Avengers movie. It has a finished script, a director, and casting has been underway for a long time now. I'd be surprised if they delayed it any further than a 2013 release.
I'm aware, but Runaways is one of those projects that has to exist in a world densely populated by superhero characters and concepts. In the core lineup of characters from the first volume, you've got a wizard, an alien, a mutant (who's a telepath,) time travel, and a genetically engineered dinosaur. From the way Marvel's talking and proceeding, I think they'd want to spend an entire film easing the audience into any one (or two) of these concepts. They could re-write the dinosaur girl so she just has a genetically engineered dinosaur, instead of a genetically engineered dinosaur from the future. The mutant telepath is obviously not going to be a mutant in the film. They're already introducing aliens in Thor and The Avengers, so that one's possibly OK. The witch is the definite dealbreaker, but you introduce magic in Dr. Strange and you can do it.

Even after dealing with individual character problems, I still find it problematic that the kids are meant to be the children of a supervillain team, and the idea is treated as if you're casually familiar and comfortable with the idea of superhero and supervillain teams existing everywhere in America. There has been no supervillain "team" in any of these Marvel movies yet. I don't mean a giant organization like Hydra, I mean a "team" in the classic, comic book-y sense: a heterogeneous bunch of characters (who have probably been established in previous stories) thrown together somewhat arbitrarily in an attempt to generate a new story from old ideas. Think the Sinister Six, Frightful Four, or the Masters of Evil.
In Marvel comics, built on decades of these stories, I can buy that the world of supervillainy is so vast that a group like "the Pride" is one of about a zillion that the good guys are trying to deal with on any given day. In the "MCU" that's currently established, the teamup of the Pride would represent such a novel and singular threat that I think you'd realistically expect one call to SHIELD to result in agents with Stark tech busting their doors down and carting them off to superjail.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #166
UnkillableMick
Over-analyst

If Namor is back with Marvel Studios, my fingers are firmly crossed for a Defenders movie.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #167
LuisTX85
Hey Bub

I give Thor a 9.5/10!,my new favorite Marvel film in the MCU that slightly beats Iron Man,My new ranking of the MCU is.....

Thor
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2(I really enjoyed it But it's just the least of the rest)

Old 05-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #168
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnkillableMick View Post
If Namor is back with Marvel Studios, my fingers are firmly crossed for a Defenders movie.
Eh, won't feel right w/o the Silver Surfer there.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #169
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even after dealing with individual character problems, I still find it problematic that the kids are meant to be the children of a supervillain team, and the idea is treated as if you're casually familiar and comfortable with the idea of superhero and supervillain teams existing everywhere in America. There has been no supervillain "team" in any of these Marvel movies yet. I don't mean a giant organization like Hydra, I mean a "team" in the classic, comic book-y sense: a heterogeneous bunch of characters (who have probably been established in previous stories) thrown together somewhat arbitrarily in an attempt to generate a new story from old ideas. Think the Sinister Six, Frightful Four, or the Masters of Evil.
In Marvel comics, built on decades of these stories, I can buy that the world of supervillainy is so vast that a group like "the Pride" is one of about a zillion that the good guys are trying to deal with on any given day. In the "MCU" that's currently established, the teamup of the Pride would represent such a novel and singular threat that I think you'd realistically expect one call to SHIELD to result in agents with Stark tech busting their doors down and carting them off to superjail.
The Pride were very super-secretive about their activities, though. Very few had ever really heard of them before, except for some other criminal organizations - iirc Kingpin mentioned them, and how well they ran things in LA.

I think, anyway. I haven't read those books in awhile.

Still, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to play up the shadowy, Illuminati-like feel of the group, especially if you focused more on their criminal side and slightly less on the costumed supervillainy aspect.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #170
Grayson
Side-Kick

Thor was terrible. I was bored for the first 20-something minutes of the movie. Only after Thor is cast down to Earth does it start to get anywhere close to interesting. There weren't a lot of action sequences, and none of them lasted long. For being the God of Thunder, you'd expect him to have cool fighting combos, but he pretty much just threw his hammer around like a boomerang. Aside from that, he (Thor) was the only interesting character. There's nothing special about Odin or Loki, and Natalie Portman's character was dull, as well as the other supporting characters being pointless.

3/10

Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #171
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

^Hahaha I have to say I can't take this post seriously at all. Firstly, for claiming the movie is boring for the first twenty minutes, where a lot of the biggest action and spectacle are, hitting you right in the face. Then to claim that Odin and Loki had nothing special about them is absurd to me. And supporting characters pointless? How was Thor supposed to find out about Odin being alive? What was the government gonna do about the immovable cosmic hammer? Let it be? And finally, I know a bizzare guy named Grayson and read the whole thing with his quirky voice in my head.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #172
Grayson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
^Hahaha I have to say I can't take this post seriously at all. Firstly, for claiming the movie is boring for the first twenty minutes, where a lot of the biggest action and spectacle are, hitting you right in the face.
Action sequences aren't inherently interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza
Then to claim that Odin and Loki had nothing special about them is absurd to me.
Both were unremarkable performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza
And supporting characters pointless? How was Thor supposed to find out about Odin being alive? What was the government gonna do about the immovable cosmic hammer? Let it be?
I didn't care for any of them. Natalie Portman's character especially was severely underdeveloped.

It was a bad movie, overall.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #173
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Action sequences aren't inherently interesting.
No, but these were, that was the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson
Both were unremarkable performances.
Actually

**** it, I really can't go any further. If you don't think either of them stood out then there's no reason for me to continue.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #174
Grayson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
No, but these were, that was the point.
They were completely uninspiring.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #175
UnkillableMick
Over-analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Eh, won't feel right w/o the Silver Surfer there.
I'd definitely prefer for him to be in it, but as it stands, we could still have a Doctor Strange/Hulk/Namor combo, with support from Nighthawk, Hellcat and Valkyrie.