The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #276
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Kevin Costner up for a role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Correct me if im wrong
You are. Like I said, Superman had all the trappings of an everyman....but was really a SUPERMAN. He was a superhero pretending to be an awkward guy, which offered wish fufillment for the reader.

Spider-Man IS an everyman, as peter parker and even as a superhero, he has everyman problems. Even as Spider-Man, he often dosent get the credit he deserves and is a bit of an outsider.

Nice try, though.

And I don't know how anyone can bash S & S, then praise birthright when BR's Clark Kent is the modern versionn of the S & S version. Then again, I've never read a post crisis story, so I'm not supposed to know that....lol.

Last edited by The Batman; 02-24-2011 at 01:41 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #277
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
You are. Like I said, Superman had all the trappings of an everyman....but was really a SUPERMAN. He was a superhero pretending to be an awkward guy, which offered wish fufillment for the reader.

Spider-Man IS an everyman, as peter parker and even as a superhero, he has everyman problems. Even as Spider-Man, he often dosent get the credit he deserves and is a bit of an outsider.

Nice try, though.

And I don't know how anyone can bash S & S, then praise birthright when BR's Clark Kent is the modern versionn of the S & S version. Then again, I've never read a post crisis story, so I'm not supposed to know that....lol.
You know, I just don't get this. Its not my wish to pretend to be me all the time and actually be some super powered God man. I'd want to be me and then be able to turn into the heroic figure. If what I am to the outside world, the human being, if that is fake, then I just don't matter. How could people want to be that? That just seems so...hollow.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #278
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
You know, I just don't get this.
Somehow, thats not surprising.

Thankfully, a whole batch of talented writers understood the idea perfectly.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #279
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

So, what about some Kevin Costner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Alonsovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #280
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
He's probably gonna kick ass as the character. I could totally see Costner playing the guy who influenced and raised the greatest hero on Earth. He also seems like the kind of guy who is able to discipline a young child who can bench press a tractor.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #281
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post

"What is this A GAME?!"

*shivers*

Probably the most cringe inducing line I've ever heard.

The most cringe inducing line you ever heard??

Come on now.....now your going waaaaaay over the top to be taken seriously.

Sorry.....

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #282
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Its not that I dislike everything Costner has done because I actually to this day love Dances With Wolves a movie a lot of people mock but his performance in that movie is great.

Its just in recent years he's really lost his edge even for the wise understanding kinder hearted American he used to nail.

Caviziel would be a dream, I really hope he gets considered.

Caviezel or Hamm as Jor El hopefully!

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #283
Zack Snyder
Banned User

I heard someone say Latino Review has stated it is official that Costner has the part. Link?

Zack Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #284
LostSon88
Side-Kick

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/kev...revealed-12685

Nothing has been made official. Only that Costner is talking to them and its for the role of Jonathan Kent.

He hasn't signed...yet.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #285
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Snyder View Post
I heard someone say Latino Review has stated it is official that Costner has the part. Link?
It's not official... yet. But both Deadline and LR have stated that he's "in talks"... which normally means he has recieved an offer, accepted it and they're negotiating economical terms...

Quote:
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #286
Tomar-Re
Side-Kick

Great casting if this goes down.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #287
Zack Snyder
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/kev...revealed-12685

Nothing has been made official. Only that Costner is talking to them and its for the role of Jonathan Kent.

He hasn't signed...yet.
Thanks for the link.

Lord knows we have learned after all the silly reports to wait for official word

If we went by rumor we'd have an American only, pushing middle aged Hamm as Superman being directed by Jonah Nolan *shudders*

Zack Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #288
Sverdlovski
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

Nice try, though.

I like the way you think, mr. The Batman...

"I will probably be killed for this, but I did see a still of Nic Cage dressed in the black Spandex suit with a big silver `S' and long, stringy rock-musician hair ... it is an image of such macabre, gothic horror." - Kevin Burns
Sverdlovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #289
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
You know, I just don't get this. Its not my wish to pretend to be me all the time and actually be some super powered God man. I'd want to be me and then be able to turn into the heroic figure. If what I am to the outside world, the human being, if that is fake, then I just don't matter. How could people want to be that? That just seems so...hollow.
The wish fulfillment of Superman-and why it appealed to so many people that it spawned the entire superhero genre-is that if people could ever look past the surface, if they ever got to know the real person within-then people would see that they are more than they seem, that they have something special to offer the world. That is the reason why Superman had such a universal appeal to people who, like Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, were more of the inhibited, shy, awkward types. The reader or viewer identifies with Clark and fantasizes with Superman. The Clark/Superman duality is a big part of what makes Superman so completely different from any other superhero. Superman was born with Godlike powers and never had a normal life...from the cradle, he was destined for greatness. Most superheroes follow the Batman model, where life circumstances makes them become a superhero. But Superman was born one. It's why Clark Kent is more interesting with a flawed life-Superman himself is already perfect enough. Clark is his more vulnerable side and losing his parents is part of that vulnerability. Not being able to save the lives of the people he loves most brings Superman down to the same level as Clark Kent, which is a lot more interesting and sympathetic than boosting Clark up to the same level as Superman.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #290
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
The Clark/Superman duality is a big part of what makes Superman so completely different from any other superhero. Superman was born with Godlike powers and never had a normal life...from the cradle, he was destined for greatness.
Um...the X-Men? I don't think Superman is unique here in that. We also have Wonder Woman and Thor as mythological beings. And hell, Batman has been on his way to being Batman since he was eight years old.

Quote:
It's why Clark Kent is more interesting with a flawed life-Superman himself is already perfect enough.
And who says that a Clark Kent with parents is a Clark Kent with a perfect life? Again, Aunt May. Still alive. Peter Parker still has a pretty messed up life. She's a source of comfort for him. She doesn't make all the bad problems go away.

Quote:
Clark is his more vulnerable side and losing his parents is part of that vulnerability. Not being able to save the lives of the people he loves most brings Superman down to the same level as Clark Kent, which is a lot more interesting and sympathetic than boosting Clark up to the same level as Superman.
So you think Clark is a moron then? You think he doesn't know that he won't be able to keep his parents alive forever? You think this will be some grand revelation for him? He knows that he is invincible and other people aren't. He doesn't need to have his parents die to emphasize that fact. In fact, it would probably be better to show him failing for the first time in costume, showing that even when he tries his hardest he can't do everything at once. And you know who could get him out of that type of funk? His parents, the people who have been there for him his entire life. They're his Alfred.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #291
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
So you think Clark is a moron then? You think he doesn't know that he won't be able to keep his parents alive forever? You think this will be some grand revelation for him? He knows that he is invincible and other people aren't. He doesn't need to have his parents die to emphasize that fact. In fact, it would probably be better to show him failing for the first time in costume, showing that even when he tries his hardest he can't do everything at once. And you know who could get him out of that type of funk? His parents, the people who have been there for him his entire life. They're his Alfred.
You can understand death only on an intellectual level until you experience it first-hand. Then it becomes an emotional, meaningful understanding.

Let me make this clear. This upcoming generation looks fantastic compared to the those that condoned racism, started a bunch of needless wars, ruined the economy, and continue to ignore global warming. The 20 and 30 somethings are living the sins of their fathers and grandfathers.
Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #292
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Hey guys... I've heard Kevin Costner is in talks for a role...

Quote:
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #293
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

guys...when it comes down to it, we all have personal preferences to how Clark was brought up. some like to think of his upbringing as more ideal, while others like to think of it as more flawed. the beauty about fiction is that it can be whatever the eye of the beholder wants it to be. hell, that happens a lot even with NON-fiction.

at the end of the day, arguing over how Clark was brought up is basically pointless, for one...because DC has already retconned it with Birthright, and for two...because none of us have a say in the matter of how they'll be portraying Clark's upbringing in this movie.

Quote:
Hey guys... I've heard Kevin Costner is in talks for a role...
yeah, me too...isn't there a thread for that?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #294
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
guys...when it comes down to it, we all have personal preferences to how Clark was brought up. some like to think of his upbringing as more ideal, while others like to think of it as more flawed. the beauty about fiction is that it can be whatever the eye of the beholder wants it to be. hell, that happens a lot even with NON-fiction.

at the end of the day, arguing over how Clark was brought up is basically pointless, for one...because DC has already retconned it with Birthright, and for two...because none of us have a say in the matter of how they'll be portraying Clark's upbringing in this movie.

yeah, me too...isn't there a thread for that?
Suggesting that we stay on topic is one thing, and I believe the conversation probably does need to move to a different thread. . . but discouraging in-depth conversation on the character of Superman is something else altogether.

Let me make this clear. This upcoming generation looks fantastic compared to the those that condoned racism, started a bunch of needless wars, ruined the economy, and continue to ignore global warming. The 20 and 30 somethings are living the sins of their fathers and grandfathers.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #295
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Suggesting that we stay on topic is one thing, and I believe the conversation probably does need to move to a different thread. . . but discouraging in-depth conversation on the character of Superman is something else altogether.
We're not discouraging it... we're just stating that this is a casting thread or even a rumored casting thread that has more off-topic conversation and discussion than anything else. I'm guilty for the debate myself, since I have participated. But how many times have we spoken about Kevin Costner's acting or chances of getting the role in the last 4-5 pages?

Quote:
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #296
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think he could do it. I'm more curious to how large of a role will Jonathan Kent have in this story.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #297
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
We're not discouraging it... we're just stating that this is a casting thread or even a rumored casting thread that has more off-topic conversation and discuassion than anything else. I'm guilty for the debate myself, since I have participated. But how many times have we spoken about Kevin Costner's acting or chances of getting the role in the las 4-5 pages?
And I agree. But I'm talking about DorkyFresh's post above. Looks to me like he was saying the nature of the conversation itself is pointless.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #298
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
And I agree. But I'm talking about DorkyFresh's post above. Looks to me like that's what he was saying the nature of the conversation itself is pointless.
Oh, ok... nah, I don't think he meant it that way. I think it was more a way of saying that we can discuss this in another thread... anyway. I watched Wyatt Earp the other day for the first time, and I must say that I actually enjoyed it despite not being all what it COULD be. Costner has the wise American role vibe in most of the film, which I think will suit the Kent role perfectly.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #299
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #300
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I think he could do it. I'm more curious to how large of a role will Jonathan Kent have in this story.
I'm curious to see who'll play Martha.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote