The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #351
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

Default Re: Kevin Costner up for a role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
I want a 5 minute scene for the opening credits with ma and pa kent gettin nasty in the bedroom, and at the climax, an enormous explosion as a kryptonian vessel lands outside
I could see Snyder going for something like that. Watchmen, anyone?

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #352
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Rough just wants to see Diane Lane naked again and I can't say I lame him.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #353
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Great casting. Movie's coming together rather nicely!

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #354
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Nice to have confirmation. Solid choice.

Next up, Lois.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #355
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ Hopefully, but I think it will be Zod (or whoever the villain is).

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #356
Wheels
The Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Maybe the green crystal will make a return and Clark will throw it into the wheat field to build the baseball diamond of solitude. :P

Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #357
verisimilitude
"Great Shades of Elvis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
Nice to have confirmation. Solid choice.

Next up, Lois.
You know what? I actually wouldn't mind not having Lois in this film, or Jimmy ... I think it would be actually pretty cool to devote this film to the early segments of Birthright where Clark is trying to "find his place in the world" travelling and finding out more about himself through conversations with his parents ....

I just dont want what we're getting with TDKR ... too many characters man.

Bane, catwoman, (talia?) (black mask?) ... It would be nice to see a different side to the superman saga for a change, or a "untold stories" of superman's beginnings ...maybe hinting to a Lois/Perry interaction at the end or a third of the way threw the movie.

I think what BB did was it made BATMAN the centre of the attention. This is what this superman needs.

Batman Returns, Forever (too an extent) and also Superman II ( too some extent) and definitely Superman 3, in these films the main protagonist wasn't the star of his own movie.

Now I wouldn't mind Lois, but I think another female love interest, Lana (or preferably somebody he meets on his visits) would be great because it would be a great lead up to the love of his life ... and we the audience would be rooting for it.

Oh and PLEASE no Zod, why for the love of God can you not have another villain from the HUGE superman world. As much as I would want this film to have some link to the Donnerverse ... for it to succeed, I think we all know, that the MAIN villain of the story has to be different.

... and double Yay for Kevin Costner. Awesome casting.
<V>

verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #358
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Rough just wants to see Diane Lane naked again and I can't say I lame him.
Well I think it could be a very beautiful scene. It shows how much the kents love each other. Even through the inability to have children, they stay together. With the ship landing at the climax, it seems certain that fate has a hand in delivering a child to them.

Also, I want to see diane lane naked again.

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #359
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Originally Posted by verisimilitude View Post
You know what? I actually wouldn't mind not having Lois in this film, or Jimmy ... I think it would be actually pretty cool to devote this film to the early segments of Birthright where Clark is trying to "find his place in the world" travelling and finding out more about himself through conversations with his parents ....

Bane, catwoman, (talia?) (black mask?) ... It would be nice to see a different side to the superman saga for a change, or a "untold stories" of superman's beginnings ...maybe hinting to a Lois/Perry interaction at the end or a third of the way threw the movie.

I think what BB did was it made BATMAN the centre of the attention. This is what this superman needs.

Batman Returns, Forever (too an extent) and also Superman II ( too some extent) and definitely Superman 3, in these films the main protagonist wasn't the star of his own movie.

Now I wouldn't mind Lois, but I think another female love interest, Lana (or preferably somebody he meets on his visits) would be great because it would be a great lead up to the love of his life ... and we the audience would be rooting for it.
I'm pretty sure Lois is gonna play a major part from the 2nd half of the movie onwards. Maybe we'll get a different love interest for the first half.

Quote:
Oh and PLEASE no Zod, why for the love of God can you not have another villain from the HUGE superman world. As much as I would want this film to have some link to the Donnerverse ... for it to succeed, I think we all know, that the MAIN villain of the story has to be different.

<V>
Zod was in the comics before the Donner movies. I don't mind the use of Zod, just make him radically different than the one we've seen before.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #360
Frodo
Side-Kick

Glad Costner was able to ink the deal.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #361
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Glad Costner was able to ink the deal.
me too! he's a great actor! should be a great movie!

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #362
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:

<V>
Personally, considering the bad and overdrawn drama that was put into Clark's other romances before Lois, especially Lana, on the tv show "Smallville", I would rather avoid going down that route.

And it'd be pretty difficult to have a movie called "Superman", if Clark's not superman for half of the film. Heck, in every take of the mythos, Lois has ALWAYS been the one to name him for the public. To give that right to someone would be a slap to her character.

I think Snyder and Nolan can do just well with having a good ensemble cast for this film.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #363
verisimilitude
"Great Shades of Elvis"

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Lois is gonna play a major part from the 2nd half of the movie onwards. Maybe we'll get a different love interest for the first half.
That's Possible. If this IS an origin story, then I think I would prefer the whole Lois angle in the second half definitely

Quote:
Zod was in the comics before the Donner movies. I don't mind the use of Zod, just make him radically different than the one we've seen before.
True, but still ... Brainiac, Metallo, Darksied, Doomsday, a Lex-corp Luthor ... to name a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Personally, considering the bad and overdrawn drama that was put into Clark's other romances before Lois, especially Lana, on the tv show "Smallville", I would rather avoid going down that route.
It doesn't have to be a "romance" ...and I would rather they didn't get too involved with a relationship and focus more on the pa and ma -clark kent connection this time round

Quote:
And it'd be pretty difficult to have a movie called "Superman", if Clark's not superman for half of the film. Heck, in every take of the mythos, Lois has ALWAYS been the one to name him for the public. To give that right to someone would be a slap to her character.
True, but Batman Begins was a good half of the film, where Bruce was just Bruce finding his way to his destiny...and that did okay. I liked the narrative (although enjoyed the flow of story better in TDK)

But I agree totally about the Lois giving Superman his name thing, I would never deny that, but I just feel that after SR, I would like a film to focus a bit more on clark and his background (family, travels etc) than the romance. But Lois is essential for his development, absolutely. It would just be great to see another female interest too.

Quote:
I think Snyder and Nolan can do just well with having a good ensemble cast for this film.
They have a great cast so far.

<V>

verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #364
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:

It doesn't have to be a "romance" ...and I would rather they didn't get too involved with a relationship and focus more on the pa and ma -clark kent connection this time round

True, but Batman Begins was a good half of the film, where Bruce was just Bruce finding his way to his destiny...and that did okay. I liked the narrative (although enjoyed the flow of story better in TDK)

But I agree totally about the Lois giving Superman his name thing, I would never deny that, but I just feel that after SR, I would like a film to focus a bit more on clark and his background (family, travels etc) than the romance. But Lois is essential for his development, absolutely. It would just be great to see another female interest too.

Considering the last superman film that audiences had watch had emphasized too much on his personal life in such a dysfunctional way I might add, I don't think we'll have to worry about overexposure regarding his love life here. I'm sure that there'll be some type of romance between Superman/Clark and Lois by the end of the film to prepare them for the sequels especially, but I'm pretty confident that it won't overshadow everything else like SR did.

And yeah, I for one want to see the man behind the cape, a more modern take on the hero that we all know about, and in relations to this thread, to see a strong father son connection between Clark and Jonathan.

As Snyder had noted in all of his comments regarding Martha and Jonathan, he's pointed out on how these two individuals had the great task of raising the world's greatest hero, and how their beliefs and morals helped shaped the man that would be Superman, and that's something that I want to see.

Smallville the show was doing great with that until things went crazy with the Lana drama. And in regards to LnC, I couldn't really feel on how the Kents had played any vital role in Clark's upbringing since it felt as though Clark in that universe, was a factor on his own towards becoming Superman.

The donner films, well...as well as it may have fitted back then, in regards to modern standards, I don't think that it'd work as well to show a version of Superman "Finding his way in life" from a disembodied voice in a crystal fortress.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #365
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I have no problem with them saving Lois for the sequels. Give Superman a love interest, or female companion friend in this movie and have her killed off at some point. Then we understand why he feels the need to protect Lois and his internal conflict that he can't save everyone. Let people get insight into his nature and personal struggle. It's better storytelling than just throwing in Lois and having them flirt for 3 movies.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #366
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

that'd be very reminiscent of the nolan batman moves and the webb spidey movies coming out

Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #367
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Well the problem with having Superman end up with Lois too early is that you will need to find things to make their relationship still interesting. Like add another love interest, or no other love interest but she suspects him of cheating anyways, other reasons that have them become pushed apart and then together again, kids, etc. They should end up together at the end of the 3rd movie, where audiences say to themselves, "finally!".

Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #368
Frodo
Side-Kick

I think its a bit different with Batman and Spiderman since their characters have for the most part been loner's and have had various love interests come in and out of their lives . Spiderman has had MJ longer then any other so there I would say it's a bit closer to Superman. In other words , Batman has never had "the one" so to speak and even in the Nolan films its clear Rachel becomes less of an option to him once he choose to be Batman, even though he doesn't see it that way.

However Lois has been "The one" since the beginning and is an essential part of the myth's which is why I'd be stunned if she wasn't featured in some capacity in the film.

Yeah SV had Lana Lang but you're never gonna convince audiences that Clark has a love greater then or as great as Lois Lane. However , I wouldn't mind if there was a new female character who influenced him or inspired him to be Superman and then she was killed, though that would be too close to rehashing BB imo

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 AM   #369
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
I have no problem with them saving Lois for the sequels. Give Superman a love interest, or female companion friend in this movie and have her killed off at some point. Then we understand why he feels the need to protect Lois and his internal conflict that he can't save everyone. Let people get insight into his nature and personal struggle. It's better storytelling than just throwing in Lois and having them flirt for 3 movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
that'd be very reminiscent of the nolan batman moves and the webb spidey movies coming out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
Well the problem with having Superman end up with Lois too early is that you will need to find things to make their relationship still interesting. Like add another love interest, or no other love interest but she suspects him of cheating anyways, other reasons that have them become pushed apart and then together again, kids, etc. They should end up together at the end of the 3rd movie, where audiences say to themselves, "finally!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I think its a bit different with Batman and Spiderman since their characters have for the most part been loner's and have had various love interests come in and out of their lives . Spiderman has had MJ longer then any other so there I would say it's a bit closer to Superman. In other words , Batman has never had "the one" so to speak and even in the Nolan films its clear Rachel becomes less of an option to him once he choose to be Batman, even though he doesn't see it that way.

However Lois has been "The one" since the beginning and is an essential part of the myth's which is why I'd be stunned if she wasn't featured in some capacity in the film.

Yeah SV had Lana Lang but you're never gonna convince audiences that Clark has a love greater then or as great as Lois Lane. However , I wouldn't mind if there was a new female character who influenced him or inspired him to be Superman and then she was killed, though that would be too close to rehashing BB imo

The thing is though, Lois Lane isn't simply a LI (ala the Main LI) for Superman. She's also the reporter who gives Clark's hero persona the Superman name to the public.

Unless they plan on saving Superman for the very end of the film, I really doubt that Lois won't be in the film. And to give that honor/right to someone else would be a slap to her character's face and given that Snyder had commented on how he's trying to stay true to the core mythology, I don't think we'll be seeing that either.

Simply put, Lois Lane has been a character that's been in the Superman Lore more longer than MOST of the other Core Superman characters in the mythology. She's been there SINCE the beginning, hell even longer than his ability to fly.

You can't do with Lois like they've done with Rachel Dawes in the Batman situation since Batman has never had a MAIN LI that's supposed to be in his life at a certain point.

And I'm not suggesting that they end up together all happily ever after as a married couple by the end of the film.

There are many things that they could do with Lois and Clark's/Superman's relationship that would be a joy to see in the film, and yet would provide enough material where they could still save a lot of the good stuff for future sequels that'll keep fans interested.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #370
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

that's a very good point

it's hard to imagine superman's initial appearance without lois being involved in some way

Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #371
jthom19802
Side-Kick

I understand that a lot of people want 150 minutes of straight up action, especially after SR. However if the studio was guaranteeing that there were going to be at least two movies, I would absolutely have no problems with 90% of this movie being the birthright storyline. The thought of having most of the movie without a Lois Lane is a little weird, but did anyone really miss her in BR? I didn't. Why? Because it was such an interesting take on him becoming Superman that I simply didn't care about her not being around.

It is a great story that really hasn't been told and I think that people may enter the theater a bit hesitant but leave feeling like they had been told a fantastic background story that gave them a better understanding of who and why Superman is who he is. Kids getting shot in Africa, playing around with Lions, trying - and failing - to do as much good as he can, etc etc. At least in the universe of BR, that is all a MAJOR part of him and who he becomes.

Also, allow me to play conspiracy theorist here. His parents are also a big part of the BR storyline, and who were the big important three Snyder wanted to cast first? Supes, Ma, Pa. Sure, plenty of rumors about who *might* play Lois, but has any one heard of actual casting sessions for her? Maybe she ISN'T that important to most of the movie and as long as they stick relatively true to BR and do it well, I have no issues with that. I just feel that you don't need a Diane Lane and a Kevin Coster for ten minutes of movie; you certainly don't need them before Lois unless their role is much larger than hers (could be wrong).

Okay, rant over. Looking forward to it, Costner, in whatever the capacity may be.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #372
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I really didn't find Birthright very interesting...especially that whole Peace Corps stuff...not to mention the rather garish artwork. I'd still prefer that they start the new movie in the 'here and now' with Supes/Clark's first arrival in Metropolis, then do the Krypton and Smallville childhood stuff in a sequel, paralleling it with the present of that storyline.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #373
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I really didn't find Birthright very interesting...especially that whole Peace Corps stuff...not to mention the rather garish artwork. I'd still prefer that they start the new movie in the 'here and now' with Supes/Clark's first arrival in Metropolis, then do the Krypton and Smallville childhood stuff in a sequel, paralleling it with the present of that storyline.
Not against that, just not sure that's what they're doing because of the Kents' casting. I mean, yes you see them plenty, but they don't really serve that big of a purpose once he's Superman other than hosting him for dinner once in a while and occasionally giving him advice on things. Is that really what you hired Kevin Costner and Diane Lane for?

As I said, just playing a little conspiracy theory. I could be a thousand times wrong.

And I agree that BR isn't the great example to point at it when it comes to artwork, but I personally enjoyed the story. It was "additional information" if you will and I'm such a Supes fan I found it quite interesting.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #374
Astrodust
Side-Kick

There are plenty of ways to hit the ground running than having Clark arrive in Metropolis 5 min into the movie. He could even suit up and fight for most of the movie without someone naming him Superman until the end. I would like him in Metropolis before the end of the film. Perhaps he encounters a supervillain and the fight takes him there.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #375
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom19802 View Post
I understand that a lot of people want 150 minutes of straight up action, especially after SR. However if the studio was guaranteeing that there were going to be at least two movies, I would absolutely have no problems with 90% of this movie being the birthright storyline. The thought of having most of the movie without a Lois Lane is a little weird, but did anyone really miss her in BR? I didn't. Why? Because it was such an interesting take on him becoming Superman that I simply didn't care about her not being around.

It is a great story that really hasn't been told and I think that people may enter the theater a bit hesitant but leave feeling like they had been told a fantastic background story that gave them a better understanding of who and why Superman is who he is. Kids getting shot in Africa, playing around with Lions, trying - and failing - to do as much good as he can, etc etc. At least in the universe of BR, that is all a MAJOR part of him and who he becomes.

Also, allow me to play conspiracy theorist here. His parents are also a big part of the BR storyline, and who were the big important three Snyder wanted to cast first? Supes, Ma, Pa. Sure, plenty of rumors about who *might* play Lois, but has any one heard of actual casting sessions for her? Maybe she ISN'T that important to most of the movie and as long as they stick relatively true to BR and do it well, I have no issues with that. I just feel that you don't need a Diane Lane and a Kevin Coster for ten minutes of movie; you certainly don't need them before Lois unless their role is much larger than hers (could be wrong).

Okay, rant over. Looking forward to it, Costner, in whatever the capacity may be.
The thing is though, since this film is obviously about SUPERMAN and not just Clark Kent, then Lois would HAVE to be in this film, UNLESS they really did plan on having Superman revealed only towards the end of the film, which I would argue that if he did only appear at the end, then there's no reason why this film should even be called "superman".

Simply put, you can't have Superman appear in Metropolis WITHOUT Lois being there.