The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #151
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Kevin Costner up for a role?

It's not like I'm the only one in the world who thinks that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #152
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
It's not like I'm the only one in the world who thinks that.
What is Costner doing that you don't like?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #153
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I like him...he's pretty decent

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #154
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
Pa Kent is dead when Clark leaves the farm, but Ma Kent does appear younger. They're a young couple when they find him.
Thanks.

Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #155
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Funny, I feel much the same about someone who feels that getting advice from ones parents somehow makes them less of a man.

Agreed.

Speaking of parents, me and the wifey hung out with my retired parents this past Sunday and it was great. Hearing words of wisdom and experience is always a good thing for me at least.

Plus I get to hang out with pops, have a bloody mary, some cold ones, wine, BBQ and shoot some pool! I'm pretty good at pool, but I'm nothing compared to my old man. He always schools me....no matter how many balls I am ahead of him...he always seems to pull out the win! Ugh.

Always great times hangin with Pops....especially now that he is getting older.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #156
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

If there's anyone who's still incapable of getting the point of deceased Kents after reading this thread, they'll never get it.

Superman Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #157
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
What is Costner doing that you don't like?
He has this annoying monotone way of speaking and his facial expressions are few. I'd sum up my feelings by saying that he is very wooden.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #158
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
what is it with you and your fascination with Ritchie Cunningham???
Best example of a likable enough fictional character with an ideal family I can think of besides the Beaver, which, well, you know, juvenile comments and all.

Substitute in any other perfect life goody goody kid for Ritchie if you like. The point is it's not something that has ever worked, as evidenced by the fact that Superman has been a child ever since they decided to keep the Kents alive.

And I do love them as characters and anyone who knows my views on comics knows I generally hate death in comics. But there are a few instances where I think it is absolutely necessary for characters to lose loved ones. This is one of them.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #159
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

I wonder if there will be a scene of him and clark throwing some baseballs.

Mace Bloodstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #160
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

My Two Cents:

I would like for the Kents to live because I just like his parents being alive and I'm tired of the dead parents storyline in these films.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #161
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
If there's anyone who's still incapable of getting the point of deceased Kents after reading this thread, they'll never get it.
They don't WANT to get it because to admit that is to admit that the Superman they have grown up with is fundamentally flawed because they have went too far from his creators intentions and from what made the character successful.

Quote:
My Two Cents:

I would like for the Kents to live because I just like his parents being alive and I'm tired of the dead parents storyline in these films.
You know who having living parents and a nice home life worked for? Barry Allen. So what did DC do? Retcon it so his dad is dead and was blamed for killing his mother.

DC=the masters of fixing what isn't broken ever since COIE.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #162
bunk
superhero fan

Quote:
He has this annoying monotone way of speaking and his facial expressions are few. I'd sum up my feelings by saying that he is very wooden.
I could see that when he's playing a more stoic or introverted character. I don't see that anytime he's playing an outgoing character. I always thought he was pretty charming in those roles.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #163
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

It could go either way for me, but I like the idea of a Superman who isn't getting advised by his parents. However, he does need someone to talk to so we can get inside his head, someone who knows his identity.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #164
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Best example of a likable enough fictional character with an ideal family I can think of besides the Beaver, which, well, you know, juvenile comments and all.

Substitute in any other perfect life goody goody kid for Ritchie if you like. The point is it's not something that has ever worked, as evidenced by the fact that Superman has been a child ever since they decided to keep the Kents alive.

And I do love them as characters and anyone who knows my views on comics knows I generally hate death in comics. But there are a few instances where I think it is absolutely necessary for characters to lose loved ones. This is one of them.
With all due respect... but losing someone beloved can also be a path for self destruction. I know that you like Supes to be a man and not a whiny little thing... but in a lot of cases the loss of someone near will bring the sufferer to be a much more introverted and edgy person. If you add a planet, your real parents and your adoptive parents, there's barely nothing preventing Supes from becoming nothing else than a superpowered Batman or even Punisher. It would take really good writing + suspension of disbelief to make Superman be inmune to that darkness, and if he wouldn't succumb then he could be considered nothing more than a cold-blooded alien. I tell this because I lost my old man just barely one year ago and yes... it has made me a man up to certain point, but it has also made me edgier, more unsociable and much more inmune to others' suffering, hardly Superman-ly qualities. Not to mention that others become outright whiners after such a thing, more so than with a so-called "perfect family"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBats
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Alonsovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #165
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i like the way Superman's relationship with the rents was handled in Birthright. he didn't need their approval or advice, yet they were both alive and played pivotal roles in his development.

besides....how is Martha supposed to tend to the farm if she's all by her lonesome?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #166
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I like his parents being alive. It sets him apart from nearly every other superhero.

He's not Batman. Tragedy was a catalyst for Bruce to become what he became. Clark doesn't need that. He does what he does because it's the right thing to do. That's how I see it anyway.

Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #167
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
I like his parents being alive. It sets him apart from nearly every other superhero.

He's not Batman. Tragedy was a catalyst for Bruce to become what he became. Clark doesn't need that. He does what he does because it's the right thing to do. That's how I see it anyway.
The Kents' death were never the catalyst for him becoming Superman. It just taught him a lesson on the limitations of his powers.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #168
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
i like the way Superman's relationship with the rents was handled in Birthright. he didn't need their approval or advice, yet they were both alive and played pivotal roles in his development.

besides....how is Martha supposed to tend to the farm if she's all by her lonesome?
Have Ben Hubbard start working there and leading to a relationship with her while Clark's away...

Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #169
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I know that, Sage.

I don't really care either way.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 02-22-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #170
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Have Ben Hubbard start working there and leading to a relationship with her while Clark's away...
Bryan Singer? That you?

Quote:
Does it disgust anyone that when we were being born, our penises were technically in our mother's vaginas? Isn't that disgusting?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #171
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
That hardly makes Lois his mentor and source of wisdom.
Lois is Clark's mentor....... on Smallville

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #172
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsovich View Post
With all due respect... but losing someone beloved can also be a path for self destruction. I know that you like Supes to be a man and not a whiny little thing... but in a lot of cases the loss of someone near will bring the sufferer to be a much more introverted and edgy person. If you add a planet, your real parents and your adoptive parents, there's barely nothing preventing Supes from becoming nothing else than a superpowered Batman or even Punisher. It would take really good writing + suspension of disbelief to make Superman be inmune to that darkness, and if he wouldn't succumb then he could be considered nothing more than a cold-blooded alien. I tell this because I lost my old man just barely one year ago and yes... it has made me a man up to certain point, but it has also made me edgier, more unsociable and much more inmune to others' suffering, hardly Superman-ly qualities. Not to mention that others become outright whiners after such a thing, more so than with a so-called "perfect family"...
I hate to go off topic but I'm sorry for your lost man, that has to be rough. In October of 2004 I became a member of the Dead Sister Club and that was hard...it still is. I have guilt about certain things too so that makes it harder...

Anyway, I love and agree with your point.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #173
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
The Kents' death were never the catalyst for him becoming Superman. It just taught him a lesson on the limitations of his powers.

Honestly, the Kents living or being dead makes no difference at all. Either/Or is fine.

Superman still becomes Superman regardless whether the Kents live or die. Their sole purpose is to raise him.

Personally, I don't mind either route, though I'd prefer them living since it contrasts the Donner film drastically and would be a new dynamic not explored in the films yet.

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #174
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Bloodstone View Post
I wonder if there will be a scene of him and clark throwing some baseballs.
Maybe Clark can throw a few baseballs through him so that he can learn some valuable lessons about pitch control and the importance of a good wind-up.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #175
Alonsovich
Schumacher's Spider-man

Quote:
I hate to go off topic but I'm sorry for your lost man, that has to be rough. In October of 2004 I became a member of the Dead Sister Club and that was hard...it still is. I have guilt about certain things too so that makes it harder...

Anyway, I love and agree with your point.
I'm sorry for yours too... it's a pretty terrible feeling... hopefully time will make it better.

Quote: