Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #27
kyleman
Side-Kick

Default Re: lessons to learn from previous movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
A couple of other things...

I was watching some of Superman II and I had forgotten just how cheesy certain parts were. During the Metropolis battle, Superman, Zod and everyone else were fine... but the stupid BYSTANDERS were ridiculous. So let me get this straight... Superman shows up and its battling to the death with super-powered terrorists that have just taken over America... and people are just going about their business, buying food at KFC and eating ice cream?

Also, totally agree on the made-up powers note. The scene when they go back to the Fortress of Solitude just becomes a "whatever powers we can pull out of our asses" moment. First, we have Super-Saran Wrap, then energy blasts, then teleportation, then teleportation with holograms... it's just too much.
lol! Isn't there like a man on rollerskates being blown past phone booths that fall like dominoes with one man endlessly laughing on the phone? It's like they were filming a scene from Naked Gun on the same set of a Superman film. Very very bizarre.

kyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #28
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleman View Post
lol! Isn't there like a man on rollerskates being blown past phone booths that fall like dominoes with one man endlessly laughing on the phone? It's like they were filming a scene from Naked Gun on the same set of a Superman film. Very very bizarre.
lol...i had thought the same thing.....anyway i guess Donner wanted to make people laugh, and not make it to serious....but it was ridiculus....especially in Superman 1 when we first saw supes...and one guy was like.."thats a bad outfit man!"...whew!....lol....i mean after he took off wouldnt you be like..Wtf?...lol

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #29
akfj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
lol...i had thought the same thing.....anyway i guess Donner wanted to make people laugh, and not make it to serious....but it was ridiculus....especially in Superman 1 when we first saw supes...and one guy was like.."thats a bad outfit man!"...whew!....lol....i mean after he took off wouldnt you be like..Wtf?...lol
I think all of that stuff in II was added by Lester. I may be wrong, but I don't remember the comedic bits being in the Donner cut.

akfj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #30
Superman2007
Side-Kick

1. Hire good actors who respect the characters they're playing and aren't just there to collect a paycheck.

2. Set limits and establish the rules for Superman within the movie's universe. Essentially, create an internal logic for the film that the audience can accept.
That means not having scenes where Superman is flying so fast he's turning back time, or picking up a kryptonite island. It has to make sense for the audience.

3. Make the visual effects as convincing and dynamic as possible. If people can notice the effects, you've failed.

4. Make this film the best it can be, check the "save it for the sequel" mentality at the door.

5. Make the characters compelling and deliver a storyline that keeps the audience engaged, with themes that resonate.

6. Take the marketing cues from Star Trek and apply them to Superman.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
from all previous movies.

they need to ensure following!

1. Superman needs good amount of screentime.
2. No extra powers that haven't existed in the comics
3. Unneccessary use of CGI when practical effects are better
4. Use the best bits from Superman 3, ie take off scenes, landing, and the shirt rip.
5. Don't make a plot which makes a sequel have big problems, ie super child.
you r right. i think it's the super kid that have killed SR sequel. important lesson indeed.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #32
Rhiannon
rings like a bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
in the previous movies, aside from him finding Lois dead and when he turned bad in the 3rd film, Superman never really had any badass "wrath of god" type moments...

...we need to see a couple in this movie.
I'm with you, Dorky Fresh. I want to see at least one moment that makes me grateful to not be the recipient of Superman's wrath. Yes he's benevolent and gentle and merciful in most cases, but is it too much for a girl to ask to see Superman lose it with righteous anger and kick a little ass?

Rhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #33
Sabaoth
Master

I'm one of the biggest fans of Superman Returns but

1) Let' the movie start with a bang and not a whimper.

I'm sorry, the opening scenes of Superman Returns were horrific; Superman's rocket crash landing and our first look at the man himself was a limp, gray garbed Routh.

2) Do not include scenes of the villain testing his plans on small scale model replicas.

People, remember how much the horrible train set scene slowed down the already low pace of Superman Returns?

3) No anti-climatic final act.

After all the crap that they did to him, Superman does not get to confront Lex and his goons and let them have it; instead Supes goes to the hospital and then gets better and leaves. That whole hospital scene seemed like it belonged in a made for tv movie instead of the big screen!

4) No crap CGI.
Remember the ending of Superman Returns, when a completely unnecessary CGI Routh was used as he flew off into space?

5) Cast Lois Lane properly!

I loved Brandon and everyone else, but Lois Lane was horribly cast; I won't even mention her name here, she still upsets me to this day.

Sabaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #34
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
let's name them down and hopefully they won't repeat the same mistakes.
Lessons to learn from the previous movies... mmmh, I wonder ... oh wait : being more tolerant? Not to be a hater? Try to have more brain?
Yes, this is it! More tolerance and no hate. That would be excellent.
Oh wait, you meant from the studios? Silly me, I was talking about the audience and the "fans".

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #35
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
agreed, but I have to say that I like comic relief civilian bystanders. They were awesome in SII, who doesn't love the guy on the roller skates, or the guy wearing the 'end of the world' sign.

The comedic degree they were taken too was a little bit too far. But I do like the funny crowd reactions. More recent examples I can think of that were more tasteful, was the handful of comedic bystander reactions in the Spiderman movies. None too over the top, yet pleasantly pleasing (the black street salesman who calls spiderman a thief etc.)
"Your hair, what about mine?"

Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #36
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
I'm with you, Dorky Fresh. I want to see at least one moment that makes me grateful to not be the recipient of Superman's wrath. Yes he's benevolent and gentle and merciful in most cases, but is it too much for a girl to ask to see Superman lose it with righteous anger and kick a little ass?
no mam...no it's not. we need to see this or else he's JUST a boyscout. we need to see that Superman's definitely not a pushover, and when you cross Superman you're practically messing with a messiah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
YES!!!

they should take several cues from Star Trek. the first scene of that movie set the mood for the rest of the film and made it very well known that it was a different type of Star Trek film than what was previously done. Snyder and posse need to follow that same formula....Birthright style (the destruction of Krypton with Jor-El and Lara's sacrifice).

Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #37
Mig-El
Side-Kick

Make Superman drive the third act.

In the third act of both Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns, it feels like Superman just disappears. I remember thinking, where the hell is Superman while Lois is in the desert (STM) and where he was when Lois encounter Lex's ship (SR)??

We need a strong third act where Superman is the pivotal point and not a third act that feels like a start of Lex's plan to get California or building New Krypton.

I don't know if I'm getting my point across, but yeah...

Mig-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #38
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig-El View Post
Make Superman drive the third act.

In the third act of both Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns, it feels like Superman just disappears. I remember thinking, where the hell is Superman while Lois is in the desert (STM) and where he was when Lois encounter Lex's ship (SR)??

We need a strong third act where Superman is the pivotal point and not a third act that feels like a start of Lex's plan to get California or building New Krypton.

I don't know if I'm getting my point across, but yeah...
You're definitely not getting your point across...

Have you completely forgotten all you ever saw from those movies, or are you not sure what a third act is?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #39
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
I'm one of the biggest fans of Superman Returns but

I'm sorry, the opening scenes of Superman Returns were horrific; Superman's rocket crash landing and our first look at the man himself was a limp, gray garbed Routh.

2) Do not include scenes of the villain testing his plans on small scale model replicas.

People, remember how much the horrible train set scene slowed down the already low pace of Superman Returns?

3) No anti-climatic final act.

After all the crap that they did to him, Superman does not get to confront Lex and his goons and let them have it; instead Supes goes to the hospital and then gets better and leaves. That whole hospital scene seemed like it belonged in a made for tv movie instead of the big screen!

4) No crap CGI.
Remember the ending of Superman Returns, when a completely unnecessary CGI Routh was used as he flew off into space?

5) Cast Lois Lane properly!

I loved Brandon and everyone else, but Lois Lane was horribly cast; I won't even mention her name here, she still upsets me to this day.
good summary and points.

another point to add is make the disaster a real disaster! don't talk about it the whole movie but in the end, it didn't happen. the hero has stopped it... i hate that!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #40
sf2
Side-Kick

another thing to learn from SR is that Lex Luthor has just taken too much screen time and the explanation on his plan has just dragged up the whole movie.

example:
1. the opening of the screen - where Lex acted as 'gigolo'/precieved as/ to an old lady to con her and inherited all her wealth. (an 'insulting' idea to lex luthor anyway)

2. the voyage to the forterest of solitude.

this is just wasting time as these were sufficedly explained in the scene where lois saying she wanted to investigate on lex as he got freed from jail and inherited a fortune. and the scene where superman found his cryptal in his forterest was stolen.

3. the stealing kryptonite from the museum

this is another boring scene. what up? just wanna include that 2 'cute' screenwriter into the movie???
the scene where lex showed the newspaper about the expo and his intention to steal something from it is suffice enough.

in short, SR has too many redundancies of story telling and wasting up the precious screen time on petty thing.

therefore, i hope zack can focus on the objection of MOS.
that is to make superman relevant and relatable to the general public of today again.

don't waste the precious scene time on villain and the petty things when they can be easily explained in a dialogue or a subsequent scene.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #41
GreenKToo
In the fire

Avoid words like ''land'' ''real estate'' and ''acreage'' at all cost.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #42
kal-elrebooted
True Superman Fan

1. Superman is not a stalker
2. Lex Luthor is a corrupted business man
3. Marketing
4. Don't mess with the costume
5. More action

kal-elrebooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #43
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
from all previous movies.

they need to ensure following!

1. Superman needs good amount of screentime.
2. No extra powers that haven't existed in the comics
3. Unneccessary use of CGI when practical effects are better
4. Use the best bits from Superman 3, ie take off scenes, landing, and the shirt rip.
5. Don't make a plot which makes a sequel have big problems, ie super child.
I say yeah to numbers 1- 4 and I agree with you on number 5

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #44
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

No softer side of Superman (Returns)

We need a superfight.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #45
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

The supervillain has to be pure evil. People have to be terrified by Zod/Brainiac/Zaora and their cruelty, and say "Thank God, Superman has come".

Ita-KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #46
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Clark should reveal himself as Superman to Lois not Lois finding out.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #47
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones View Post
No softer side of Superman (Returns)

We need a superfight.
Superman should indeed be soft, but I reckon you mean SR had too much teenage emo-crap going on.

Even though Superman may be (and should be) an appeaser first and foremost, some situations just calls for shear action, often of brute force. Please turn off that relunctant and boring Mr. Nice-guy Clark and show me that angry god finally unleashing his powers full force. I wanna see his eyes turn into red supernovas and I want it to be a scary moment.
But he should never be wreckless or a danger to humans either, but that would probably be something Lex might play against him. Is Superman and his powers a menace to humanity in the long run.

Last edited by Rust; 05-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #48
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

1. Don't hire people who give wooden performances, just cause they look like someone.

2. Don't listen to Kevin Spacey's casting suggestions (Bosworth).

3. No Superchild.

4. Some decent action (please?).

5. Even though we were sick of Lex, we wan't him back now.

6. Don't **** up like the previous 3 movies (please?)

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #49
storyteller
Side-Kick

1) SUPERMAN IS NOT A ROMANCE STORY WITH ACTION

No singer Superman is not about the romance. Sure Lois is his girl but overall the best Superman stories are actually the ones where she doesn't even participate other then to figure out crap for the audience

2) Limit powers of course

3) Lex needs to be more then a land tycoon. Honestly if Lex gave himself Super powers and engaged in a fight with Superman, we wouldn't complain about being sick of Lex.

4) Im iffy on Bosworth actually. Was it really bad acting/ lack of chemistry or was it the fact the character was written to be stupid, selfish, dishonest, and weak? Lois Lane isn't the women who will tell a man that this kid is his son when he isn't. Lois Lane would string a guy a long while she's in love with another bozo. Lois Lane isn't the woman who drags a kid along on a potentially dangerous assignment even if they clearly had all the abilities of Superman(Chris Kent in the comics). I blame the writers for just making an unlikable Lois.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #50
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Superman should indeed be soft, but I reckon you mean SR had too much teenage emo-crap going on.

Even though Superman may be (and should be) an appeaser first and foremost, some situations just calls for shear action, often of brute force. Please turn off that relunctant and boring Mr. Nice-guy Clark and show me that angry god finally unleashing his powers full force. I wanna see his eyes turn into red supernovas and I want it to be a scary moment.
But he should never be wreckless or a danger to humans either, but that would probably be something Lex might play against him. Is Superman and his powers a menace to humanity in the long run.
Right. not like SR. But I see your point.