The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #76
storyteller
Side-Kick

Default Re: lessons to learn from previous movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
1. Don't treat or hold Superman up to the standards of a modern day Christ Figure

Well the first one is iffy. A natural reaction people would have to superman is that he is god or an angel(on the flipside he is the devil or a demon). But I guess it may be what Smallville did. They forced the christ figure onto Clark with the whole destiny deal. I think its fine when the characters around react with this perspective but its not alright when Superman = Christ/God. This may even start with Jor-el. Jor-El needs to just be a man. Make him some god figure and Clark must be Christ. Jor-El needs to be some "average joe" trying to save his kid.

the main thing though. This must be Supermans movie. I should actually get to know the guy. All this talk about Clark not knowing if he wants to continue being Superman and the issues with Lois. When the hell did we actually get more then a few hints. Singer made the Superman a stranger in his own movie. By the end I didn't know what Clark learned/grew or if he even had opinions beyond "world needs Superman". Lets assume I never saw Reeves movies. I have no idea why the characters are doing anything. What was Lex in jail for? Why is Lois mad at Superman? Did she sleep with him? Why didn't she know Clark was Superman then? Why didn't Superman tell her he was going on a trip? Why , why why is anyone doing anything in this movie?

Lesson to learn. Assume your audience has never heard of Superman before. Don't make a comic about the history of a character for the movie when you won't talk about it in the film. Assume your audience needs to be educated and let us grow with the experience. Don't just drop us off with no training and ask us to go to some destination. Crap I think hate Superman returns a lot more.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #77
routhman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I agree with you, though I think you're being a tad harsh on Superman '78. The humor there is goofy, but consider the time it was made. And it was a serious film when it needed to be.

I'm just annoyed by fans who seem to treat ANY humor or simply lighthearted moments in these movies as blasphemy.
Star Wars managed to be funny without being overly goofy and it was made in 1977, a year before STM. But yeah, the time did have something to do with its goofy humor -- but today, in 2011, I'd like to be treated to more sophisticated humor.

And I agree that humor is necessary in anything. It's been a tool used since Shakespeare as levity in the greatest tragedies. When done correctly and in good taste, humor lets the audience breathe, fosters character development, and gives the audience a reason to like and, therefore, care about the character.

routhman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #78
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Well the first one is iffy. A natural reaction people would have to superman is that he is god or an angel(on the flipside he is the devil or a demon). But I guess it may be what Smallville did. They forced the christ figure onto Clark with the whole destiny deal. I think its fine when the characters around react with this perspective but its not alright when Superman = Christ/God. This may even start with Jor-el. Jor-El needs to just be a man. Make him some god figure and Clark must be Christ. Jor-El needs to be some "average joe" trying to save his kid.

the main thing though. This must be Supermans movie. I should actually get to know the guy. All this talk about Clark not knowing if he wants to continue being Superman and the issues with Lois. When the hell did we actually get more then a few hints. Singer made the Superman a stranger in his own movie. By the end I didn't know what Clark learned/grew or if he even had opinions beyond "world needs Superman". Lets assume I never saw Reeves movies. I have no idea why the characters are doing anything. What was Lex in jail for? Why is Lois mad at Superman? Did she sleep with him? Why didn't she know Clark was Superman then? Why didn't Superman tell her he was going on a trip? Why , why why is anyone doing anything in this movie?

Lesson to learn. Assume your audience has never heard of Superman before. Don't make a comic about the history of a character for the movie when you won't talk about it in the film. Assume your audience needs to be educated and let us grow with the experience. Don't just drop us off with no training and ask us to go to some destination. Crap I think hate Superman returns a lot more.
Agreed.

Like BB did so well with Bruce's character, or X Men FC with Magneto's character, I want to see what actually drives Superman to be the hero that he's famously known for and I want him and him alone to discover that for himself and not have someone else make it easy for him by just telling him the answer.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #79
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by routhman View Post
Star Wars managed to be funny without being overly goofy and it was made in 1977, a year before STM. But yeah, the time did have something to do with its goofy humor -- but today, in 2011, I'd like to be treated to more sophisticated humor.

And I agree that humor is necessary in anything. It's been a tool used since Shakespeare as levity in the greatest tragedies. When done correctly and in good taste, humor lets the audience breathe, fosters character development, and gives the audience a reason to like and, therefore, care about the character.
Yeah, I hope they don't go too dark and dry with this. That was one of the (many) flaws in SR. The movie was so joyless that it was like spending two hours at a super-funeral. If the new Superman movie is like that, I'm going to hate it.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #80
SuperAl
Superman's back!

i want a terrifying villain, i want people to actually die in the movie by the hands of Zod. just seems like in every superman movie, no one gets killed by the villain.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #81
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
i want a terrifying villain, i want people to actually die in the movie by the hands of Zod. just seems like in every superman movie, no one gets killed by the villain.
Well to be honest:

1. Lois died as a result by Lex's actions in S:TM. Plus, Perry mentioned that two guards were killed as a result of Lex stealing the kryptonite.

2. There are bound to be some casualties that resulted from Zod's attack against the US Army and white House security. Plus in a deleted scene, Non kills a young boy at Zod's orders.

But yeah, I wouldn't deem any of the villainous acts to be as terrifying in visual as we've seen them in recent comic book films (Iron Man, TDK).

Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #82
Project862006
Banned User

over the top comedy should not be a worry

snyder has only done dark humor in his films or none at all lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #83
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
over the top comedy should not be a worry

snyder has only done dark humor in his films or none at all lol
I'm kind of hoping that he takes the "none" route since I'm not sure on how dark humor would fit in a world like Superman's.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #84
Boosted
Side-Kick

a touch of levity never hurts a movie.

Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #85
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Well to be honest:

1. Lois died as a result by Lex's actions in S:TM. Plus, Perry mentioned that two guards were killed as a result of Lex stealing the kryptonite.

2. There are bound to be some casualties that resulted from Zod's attack against the US Army and white House security. Plus in a deleted scene, Non kills a young boy at Zod's orders.

But yeah, I wouldn't deem any of the villainous acts to be as terrifying in visual as we've seen them in recent comic book films (Iron Man, TDK).
if a deaths happen offscreen they might as well not have them happen at all. it adds nothing to the story nor does it make the villain look any scarier. it would just piss me off since i want to see it. you kind of just proved my point, every death that happend is either something that just happens offscreen or by a rock crushing someone(both the original superman and in SR) maybe they felt they would lose a pg rating or something, i duno, deleted scenes? meh if its deleted why bring em up.

lex needs to shoot someone, not cause tidel waves or some other indirect garbage. And Zod needs to toss people around. Superman cant save every1, and i hope they show that in the movie. give him a reason to get pissed, and when he gets pissed dont have him fly around the world to reverse time.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #86
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
if a deaths happen offscreen they might as well not have them happen at all. it adds nothing to the story nor does it make the villain look any scarier. it would just piss me off since i want to see it. you kind of just proved my point, every death that happend is either something that just happens offscreen or by a rock crushing someone(both the original superman and in SR) maybe they felt they would lose a pg rating or something, i duno, deleted scenes? meh if its deleted why bring em up.

lex needs to shoot someone, not cause tidel waves or some other indirect garbage. And Zod needs to toss people around. Superman cant save every1, and i hope they show that in the movie. give him a reason to get pissed, and when he gets pissed dont have him fly around the world to reverse time.
Oh, I'm sure in this day and age, considering the people involved with this project, that we'll get some on screen deaths by the hands our film's villains. If Snyder is true to his world, then we'll definitely get some tragic moments for Superman where he realizes that he can't save everyone in time, since Snyder had said that he wants to bring Superman into a world just like ours, and considering how depressing it is to watch the news, well that speaks for itself really.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #87
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
I'm kind of hoping that he takes the "none" route since I'm not sure on how dark humor would fit in a world like Superman's.
yep i agree, i dont want this movie to be like all the marvel movies that have been coming out, which have been good, but they try to hard to make them funny. Id prefer a more serious movie. theres always room for a few lines but hopefully they dont overdue it, xmen had like 3 bald jokes in first class.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #88
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:

There was no PG-13 rating when they made the first three Superman movies, and Superman Returns was PG-13.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #89
sf2
Side-Kick

i heard/read that there gonna be a funeral scene...

i don't like it....

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #90
GreenKToo
In the fire

For me, its hard to fathom super powered beings like Zod, non, and ursa attacking city after city in the world in S:II and not have hundreds of thousands of deaths and injuries.

I'm not wishing to see death and destruction in MOS, but if you wanna make it realistic as possible, then at the least hundreds or thousands of deaths and injuries would happen in Metropolis alone. You can't have two beings fighting that are capable of knocking down skyscrapers, or throwing cars and trucks like toys, and not have civilian deaths happen. I'm sure Supes would try his best to prevent it, but he will be busy with someone just as fast as he is.
The audience would need to see that if snyder wants to drive home the point just how evil Zod and company are.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 06-28-2011 at 09:34 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #91
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
For me, its hard to fathom super powered beings like Zod, non, and ursa attacking city after city in the world in S:II and not have hundreds of thousands of deaths and injuries.

I'm not wishing to see death and destruction in MOS, but if you wanna make it realistic as possible, then at the least hundreds or thousands of deaths and injuries would happen in Metropolis alone. You can't have two beings fighting that are capable of knocking down skyscrapers, or throwing cars and trucks like toys, and not have civilian deaths happen. I'm sure Supes would try his best to prevent it, but he will be busy with someone just as fast as he is.
The audience would need to see that if snyder wants to drive home the point just how evil Zod and company are.
Truth be told, I think in the original Donner version of Superman II, they had A LOT more people dying during the reign of terror of Zod/Ursa/Non, and that the final fight in Metropolis was written to be much more violent, with more casualties I think as well.

Though due to the campy nature of the Salkinds and Lester, along with them wanting to save as much money as possible; it just didn’t happen

Now with today’s available technology along with the people involved in this project, I’m sure that the threats will be portrayed correctly.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #92
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

a lesson to learn from previous films?

NEVER EVER have Superman father a b*****d child out of wedlock!

whoever thought that was a brilliant idea, I have to say..... and

XEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #93
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEdge View Post
a lesson to learn from previous films?

NEVER EVER have Superman father a b*****d child out of wedlock!

whoever thought that was a brilliant idea, I have to say..... and
it's be more than 5 years. u still not calm yet?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #94
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post

yap, yap. it will be very cool to see superman battling the villains at the same time gotta save the innocents and properties... and the best part is... he still manage to win the battle!!!

but...

he loses the war... people are still dying due to the super battle. and they blame on superman.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #95
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
it's be more than 5 years. u still not calm yet?
NEVER!!

XEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #96
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEdge View Post
NEVER!!
actually the movie is a lot better when u just watching it and don't think further on the storyline.

Last edited by sf2; 07-05-2011 at 03:48 AM.
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #97
elgaz
Side-Kick

As bad as some moments were in Superman Returns, I watched Superman IV again at the weekend and I have been quietly weeping for Superman ever since. I had forgotten how truly awful a film it is.

So, lessons that MOS should learn from Superman IV :

• There is no air in space, and thus your villain and hero cannot make noise when they fight on the moon
  • There is no air in space, so when your hero gets pounded into the surface of the moon, there is no need for him to subsequently climb out of the hole gasping for breath
  • There is no air in space, so when your villain kidnaps a female human and flys her out into the depths of space, she will die
  • There is no up or down in space, so when your villain passes out after losing his power, there is no need for the human female to suddenly slip out of his grasp and scream because she is scared of 'falling'
  • When your hero chooses to push the moon into the path of the sunlight and cause a total eclipse, he should be aware that this change in the movements and gravity of celestial bodies just may have some effect on Earth
  • When your hero can move at the speed of light, it makes no sense to have him watch the villain blow up a Metropolis street for a good 30-60 seconds before he decides to act

After watching IV, it really doesn't surprise me that there was no number V.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #98
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
actually the movie is a lot better when u just watching it and don't think further on the storyline.
It's also a lot better when you stick your fingers in your ears and sing 'lalalalala'... But I'm hoping they make a new movie where you don't have to stunt you ability to THINK in order to enjoy it

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #99
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
It's also a lot better when you stick your fingers in your ears and sing 'lalalalala'... But I'm hoping they make a new movie where you don't have to stunt you ability to THINK in order to enjoy it
wow... i was just trying to help...
SR... is not bad to watch...

maybe we can do some editing...

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #100
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
wow... i was just trying to help...
SR... is not bad to watch...

maybe we can do some editing...
IMO... SR.... IS bad to watch...

I appreciate what you said. That i'd enjoy SR more if I didn't overthink it.

I just don't agree with you.

What editing needs to be done?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote