The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #26
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

Default Re: Portraying Mutant Powers on Screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes View Post
I have to be honest. its is clearly not easy to portray mutant powers on screen and make it cool. orgins really shows some of the dumbest powers ever.

they've done a decent job with wolverine's claws and magneto's magnetism and other powers.

but i must say that magnetism is now the coolest mutant power. i wish i could move metal. in the animated series and the comic we always saw purple shock waves.

Now magneto is a serious movie character who is a force to be wreckoned with. he has become a cool cinematic sci fi character.
Posts like this irritate me.

Magneto has always been a serious character who is a force to be reckoned with. He's also always been a cool cinematic sci fi character.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
It really depends on who we are talking about here. I think it would be hoaky to see waves or distortions emanating from Xavier's head like in the cartoons and purple waves coming from Mag's hands. However, I think Singer did a good job without going over the top. The only thing I would like to see for each character would be:

An invisible shield that Mag's usually creates in the comics that is only seen when bullets hit the bubble shield he has created.

I would also like to see a bit more creative transition into Xavier's mind reading. In X2 it was just basically a vertical transition. But, I would like to see some Harry Potter effects like in Half Blood Prince where Harry goes into Dumbledore's memories with the pensieve. That was just fantastic.

For Banshee I would like to see distortions in the air as he screams. No circles emitting from his mouth.
I honestly think it depends on the overall scope of the film. All of the films themselves were somewhat grounded within reality, so shockwaves of energy and what not would have looked out of place. Now, if they would have made the film to look similar to the 90's cartoon, all of those effects would have fit in, because of the shows use of bright and vibrant colors. I wasn't a big fan of those waves coming out of Xaviers head or the purple waves that come from Magneto, it worked for that cartoon, but I think the films did just fine without all of that elaborate stuff

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #28
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

they don't have to make purple waves for magneto's power. but it would be cool to see some kind of distortion. some kind of see through magnetic waves. in x-1 at the end of the movie when magneto landed on the statue of liberty to transfer his power to rogue, you could see some kind of distortion when he grabbed the fence. something like that.
to me it is kind of lame how it has been so far that he has to act with his hands (also in the trailer when he is stabbing that soldier. he has to act in order for the audience to get that he is controlling metal, but in reality he would be doing it with his mind). he would shoot magnetic waves from his hands and manipulate metal with his mind.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #29
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
What??? Cyke's optic blasts were dead on from the comics
no they were not.

they looked highly subdued and nothing like beams of solid force.
anytime Scott takes his glasses or visor off and opens his eyes it needs to be a WIDE SPREAD optic blast that runs the width of his peripheral vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #30
BMM
Side-Kick

We’re complaining about mutants making hand gestures now? Really??? In X-Men, Magneto strips and levitates fifty guns simultaneously. He then fires one, holds a revolving bullet against a police officer’s head, and proceeds to simultaneously cock the remaining guns, all without the use of his hands. I think it’s evident that Magneto doesn’t have to act with his hands but that it’s done so as to not be boring, because no one wants to see Magneto just walking down a hall.

Last edited by BMM; 03-14-2011 at 09:50 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #31
The Guard
Side-Kick

I've always felt the machine Magneto builds and uses was supposed to be the literal extension/visual of his power in the comics. He did what he had to do, he wasn't just big for the sake of being big, or flying just for the sake of it. When he needed to inspire awe or terror, he did what he had to in order to do so. He was mostly very efficient, in other words.

I've never really had an issue with the power usage in the films. The X-Men and the other mutants did some massive, impressive things, sometimes even by accident.

While the beams clearly come out focused from each of his eyes, Cyclops optic blasts appear to have a concussive force of wider range, other than when Jean is controlling it at the end of the first film.

I like Magneto gesturing when he uses his powers. It connects him to his powers, and it gives him a more operatic quality. And in this franchise, it appears that while he doesn't have to, he can get better results in some cases when he does. And it's set up right from the beginning as a child and his first use of latent power.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #32
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

I'm definitely cool with the visual effects for Magneto, Banshee and Azazel.

I'm not sure about the new diamond form of Emma Frost. Its similar to the comics but its too glassy for me.

I also don't like Havok's red blast. I'm expecting it be color white or blue, just like in the comics.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #33
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I'm definitely cool with the visual effects for Magneto, Banshee and Azazel.

I'm not sure about the new diamond form of Emma Frost. Its similar to the comics but its too glassy for me.
I kinda agree about Emma, though, my main issue with the look (which I hope they fix for the final version) is how it covers over her outfit

I don't know if it looks better or worst then XO:W's Emma

Quote:
I also don't like Havok's red blast. I'm expecting it be color white or blue, just like in the comics.
they probably figured white/blue-ish, would look too close to the FX for Banshee's power

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 03-16-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
chaseter
Bland User

Diamonds sparkle...

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #35
Wefflehouse
Frick-frack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
I kinda agree about Emma, though, my main issue with the look (which I hope they fix for the final version) is how it covers over her outfit

I don't know if it looks better or worst then XO:W's Emma

they probably figured white/blue-ish, would look too close to the FX for Banshee's power
The effect that was developed for Emma in XMO:W was quite two-dimensional, I'm a little surprised it got the stamp of approval. I feel as though it wasn't up to the standards that a professional working for a major effects company can execute.

Wefflehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #36
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I've always felt the machine Magneto builds and uses was supposed to be the literal extension/visual of his power in the comics.
I agree. The spherical energy field formed around him in that machine in X1 is obviously a nod to the magnetic force bubble of the comics and cartoons. Some of that glowing white energy was also visible when he tore open the train in X1.

I'm a huge fan of that spherical forcefield but I can understand why the films did what they did.

And the 'waves' of magnetic force can be seen briefly - around Magneto's feet when he lands next to the machine at the Statue of Liberty in X1; and coming from his hands when he is using his power to stop Cerebro in X2.

Quote:
I like Magneto gesturing when he uses power. It connects him to his powers, and it gives him a more operatic quality. And in this franchise, it appears that while he doesn't have to, he can get better results in some cases when he does. And it's set up right from the beginning as a child and his first use of latent power.
Indeed. Gesturing is a common practice. Magneto did it, Jean did - even though they didn't need to. It's like they are thinking out loud, showing their intent and concentration.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #37
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefflehouse View Post
The effect that was developed for Emma in XMO:W was quite two-dimensional, I'm a little surprised it got the stamp of approval. I feel as though it wasn't up to the standards that a professional working for a major effects company can execute.
tho, I would agree the execution of the fx weren't the best, but, I would imagine with the white tones, and lighting, it would be hard to create any type of 3 dimensional contrast, or shading... so, I can understand

but, I was more making the comparison to the idea behind the fx for her(more so, then how it actually looked…) with her skin being made up of tiny individual diamonds coving her overall... appose to this new effect that more looks like she’s actually made of large diamonds, or an overall diamond (or glassy) textured, skin...
(which is an interesting take, not saying necessarily bad, just different)

its funny, tho, I was talking to a friend, who saw the trailer (but, doesn't know as much about the characters)
and he said something like.... "what was up with the female iceman..." it kinda took me a minute to realize he was talking about Emma

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 03-17-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #38
The Guard
Side-Kick

It strikes me as a bit odd that instead of a living diamond...Emma becomes covered in actual diamonds. I much prefer the sleeker, living diamond being look.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #39
ladymidnight
Banned User

i actually liked emmas diamond for in wolverine. least it looked like diamonds and not like shiny glass.

ladymidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #40
BMM
Side-Kick

She looks like she has some kind of bedazzled herpes gone awry.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 AM   #41
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

XOW Emma looked amazing! Watching her change into diamond skin is like one of the best things that happened in that crappy movie.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #42
storyteller
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
no they were not.

they looked highly subdued and nothing like beams of solid force.
anytime Scott takes his glasses or visor off and opens his eyes it needs to be a WIDE SPREAD optic blast that runs the width of his peripheral vision.

Ill be honest, I don't understand what you are talking about. The beams in the comics are drawn solid red most of the time with a few brighter strokes here and there. I think your going to have to post pics to explain yourself because the movie beams are just like the comics but you know moving. Scott did due a wide spread in 3. You make it seem like Scott was doing Supermans heat vision.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #43
ladymidnight
Banned User

Quote:
XOW Emma looked amazing! Watching her change into diamond skin is like one of the best things that happened in that crappy movie.
totally. i don't know what the others are talking about. her new diamond form in x-men first class is an eye sore.

ladymidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #44
lastairbender
Side-Kick

Well, in fact Frost in the trailers looks like shiny glass..the cgi has to be improved..

one question, can she use her telepathy while in diamond form?

lastairbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #45
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

Shiny glass is what she should look like. She turns into A diamond, not a woman-shaped pile of them.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #46
lastairbender
Side-Kick

I'd love to see Havoc shoot beams through his arms..do you think it will happen..? If its only through his chest people will say its another Iron man..

By the way, in the pics where he is in the room with fire, the way it is done, like in concentric rings, in the wall, ceiling.. (and the mannequin intact) perhaps he looses his focus and we actually see massive concentric rings everywhere like we see in some comics. Coooool!!

lastairbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #47
steelio2006
Side-Kick

well considering this a FOX X-Men movie, she'll probably have the ability to use her telepathy while in diamond form. whereas in the comics, she's not able to do both at the same time.

BLUDHAVEN
steelio2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #48
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision

Such a fair and astute observation.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #49
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelio2006 View Post
well considering this a FOX X-Men movie, she'll probably have the ability to use her telepathy while in diamond form. whereas in the comics, she's not able to do both at the same time.
On the other hand, it could be the ideal way to defeat her. Make her turn into diamond to defend herself and then, when she has no telepathy or mental defences, Xavier zaps her mind.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #50
The Original Bamfer
Sassneto

I doubt we have the final effects in the trailer. Especially considering her clothes also turn into diamond, which bothers me... unless they have a really good explanation for it. But I'm not too thrilled with the current diamond effect. It looks like it has bits of foil in it. I mean, realistically, to sparkle, there has to be contrast, but there's a lot of veer dark flecks.

Last edited by The Original Bamfer; 03-24-2011 at 08:48 PM.
The Original Bamfer is offline   Reply With Quote