The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you plan to see the new World Trade Center in person once it's completed?
Yes 24 64.86%
No 7 18.92%
I'm not sure 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #51
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Discussion: Rebuilding The World Trade Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Interpreter View Post
Sort of reminds me of the Chinese Olympic Stadium for some reason.
It definitely has the 'bird's nest' feel to it.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #52
Gamma Ray
Banned User

It looks ridiculous. Like a pretentious art museum.

Gamma Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #53
The Interpreter
Side-Kick

I don't mind it at all. But I wouldn't go on and say it matches any sort of prayer center. But since it's an entertainment center of sorts, I guess it's okay?

The Interpreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #54
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
It looks ridiculous. Like a pretentious art museum.

Well color me shocked.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Whoa....that totally fits the architecture around there doesn't it.....? lmao. BUT HEY, it does look like that the birds in the area are going to have the perfect condos to live in....that's a positive.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #56
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
Whoa....that totally fits the architecture around there doesn't it.....? lmao. BUT HEY, it does look like that the birds in the area are going to have the perfect condos to live in....that's a positive.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #57
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

It looks like the Fortress of Solitude.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #58
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I'll be standing next to Barbara on this one....unfortunately what Barbara said was not on this video. Nor can I find it ANYWHERE.... but I did hear that it was very fair, and she wasn't exactly happy with her co-hosts. She probably agreed with them, but wasn't happy with the debate.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Barbara Walters criticized her co-hosts for walking off stage during the live show. But she said O'Reilly should make the distinction that extremists committed the terrorist act.
O'Reilly's reply:

Quote:
Behar and Goldberg returned after O'Reilly said that "if anyone felt that I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize."

Last edited by Kelly; 10-14-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #59
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...illy-interview

Has the rest with Barbara.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #60
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Bill O' Reilly's comment was beyond stupid. That being said, I don't think anyone should be surprised that he pushed such a moronic opinion.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #61
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I agree with his opinion of the location of the center. If that makes my opinion moronic, so be it. I've stated why I hold that opinion so no need to repeat. BUT, he should have included the word "extremist" IMO....that would have cooled things down quite a bit. I watched his show tonight and saw the full retort from Barbara....

With all of that said....I was happy to hear Barbara and her intelligent take on the matter.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #62
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
I agree with his opinion of the location of the center. If that makes my opinion moronic, so be it. I've stated why I hold that opinion so no need to repeat. BUT, he should have included the word "extremist" IMO....that would have cooled things down quite a bit. I watched his show tonight and saw the full retort from Barbara....

With all of that said....I was happy to hear Barbara and her intelligent take on the matter.
The part of Bill O'Reilly's comment that I find absolutely moronic is the 'muslims attacked us on 9/11'. I could care less about what he thinks of the placement of the community center, but I do take issue with an ignorant generalization of an entire religion based on the actions are an extremist few.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #63
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I agree...

Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #64
Grievous
Miss Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The part of Bill O'Reilly's comment that I find absolutely moronic is the 'muslims attacked us on 9/11'. I could care less about what he thinks of the placement of the community center, but I do take issue with an ignorant generalization of an entire religion based on the actions are an extremist few.
He figured by this point that if you heard someone say muslims attacked us you would already know it was terriost. Which I must agree with him, if you believe someone actually believes that all muslims are bad when they use the pharse muslims attacked us on 9/11, then your pretty much calling that person a idiot.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #65
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Agreed, O'Reilly is an idiot spreading his stupidity and paranoia. Comments like the one he made only make more people think that all muslims are evil extremists bent on destroying America.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #66
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Well within O'Reilly's logic, the "Muslims" being referred to are Muslim extremists. He thinks of it like Japan attacking the US in WWII; we say the Japanese attacked, not Japanese extremists.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #67
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

It was a pinhead statement.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #68
SentinelMind
Banned User

I'm stunned by the political correctness. It's a factual statement to say that Muslims attacked us on 9/11. He didn't say all Muslims are evil or Islam is evil or attacked us. O Reilly made a factual statement the group of people who attacked us, were...in fact..Muslims, and that they attacked us.

O Reilly is also right...the economy is biggest reason Obama's losing independents, but second reason is Obama is too culturally leftists and is disconnected from Middle Americans which is why he's becoming unpopular.

SentinelMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #69
Grievous
Miss Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Well within O'Reilly's logic, the "Muslims" being referred to are Muslim extremists. He thinks of it like Japan attacking the US in WWII; we say the Japanese attacked, not Japanese extremists.
It urks me somewhat that nowdays we have to be so on the dot about things we talk about like muslim extremists. As long as your not saying all muslims attacked us on 9/11. I don't see nothing that bad in just saying muslims attacked us on 9/11, as long as you make it clear your talking about extremists and not muslims in general.

"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #70
Carcharodon
Banned User

The issue I have with this whole situation is that it exacerbates the problem of perceived religious conflict; by focusing attention on the fact that the 9/11 attackers were Muslim, we reinforce the image of this war as a religious one. The problem is that it has much, much more to do with political history than it does with religion, and I don't think enough people realize that. It creates entirely unnecessary religious tension, and American citizens are hurt as a result.

O'Reilly isn't the only person that does this; I'd say a majority actually contribute to this problem...including, of course, the religious extremists themselves.

It just bothers me, and that's why I find this debate over the mosque silly, tiresome and sad.

Last edited by Carcharodon; 10-15-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Carcharodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #71
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
He figured by this point that if you heard someone say muslims attacked us you would already know it was terriost. Which I must agree with him, if you believe someone actually believes that all muslims are bad when they use the pharse muslims attacked us on 9/11, then your pretty much calling that person a idiot.
The way he said it makes it sound like the muslim religion attaked us. It's like saying Christians murder abortion doctors.

Quote:
Japan is a country. If this is the case than we should attack Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
I'm stunned by the political correctness. It's a factual statement to say that Muslims attacked us on 9/11. He didn't say all Muslims are evil or Islam is evil or attacked us. O Reilly made a factual statement the group of people who attacked us, were...in fact..Muslims, and that they attacked us.
It's also a factual statement to say males attacked us on 9/11. It's also a factual statement to say humans attacked us on 9/11. Of course he's not going to say all males or all humans attacked us on 9/11. It's the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
It urks me somewhat that nowdays we have to be so on the dot about things we talk about like muslim extremists. As long as your not saying all muslims attacked us on 9/11. I don't see nothing that bad in just saying muslims attacked us on 9/11, as long as you make it clear your talking about extremists and not muslims in general.
Well, he didn't make it clear. And if anyone talks about Christians being extremists, O'Reilly will be the first one to cry about it.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #72
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

It really just seems like some people are picking for a fight on this topic. The debate can go in circles all day about whether or not O'Reilly should have used the word "Muslim" to describe the 9/11 attackers, but the fact of the matter is that they were. This "super-PC" mindset is what's making things so weird and annoying these days. Think about all the things that can't be shown on TV, or certain taboo topics that rarely get discussed. Now look at All In The Family...see the difference.

The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 were male. They were adults. They were fundamental extremists. And they were also Muslim. Deal with it.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #73
Carcharodon
Banned User

Quote:
It really just seems like some people are picking for a fight on this topic. The debate can go in circles all day about whether or not O'Reilly should have used the word "Muslim" to describe the 9/11 attackers, but the fact of the matter is that they were. This "super-PC" mindset is what's making things so weird and annoying these days. Think about all the things that can't be shown on TV, or certain taboo topics that rarely get discussed. Now look at All In The Family...see the difference.

The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 were male. They were adults. They were fundamental extremists. And they were also Muslim. Deal with it.
My problem is less with the political correctness of what was said than it is with a perpetuation of dangerous misconceptions.

Last edited by Carcharodon; 10-15-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #74
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post

O Reilly is also right...the economy is biggest reason Obama's losing independents, but second reason is Obama is too culturally leftists and is disconnected from Middle Americans which is why he's becoming unpopular.
It has nothing to do with 'political correctness' Sent. O'Reilly is pushing the exact same idiotic line that the far right pushes to scare people. I don't care if you want to say 'terrorists attacked us on 9/11', or if you want to say 'muslim extremists attacked us on 9/11', but don't ignorantly use a blanket generalization to condemn an entire religion.

Bill O'Reilly knew exactly what he was saying and the type of reaction that it would get.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #75
Carcharodon
Banned User

Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights III

BRIAN KILMEADE DEFENDS BILL O'REILLY BY SAYING 'ALL TERRORISTS ARE MUSLIMS'
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo...re-muslims.php
October 15, 2010, 10:57AM

Quote:
Yesterday's blow-up on The View between Bill O'Reilly, Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg has sparked an interesting discussion about semantics, politics and the power of words. During yesterday show, the conversation turned to the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque" and O'Reilly said "Muslims attacked us on 9/11," greatly offending two of the co-hosts of The View. Both Behar and O'Reilly have explained their part in the kerfuffle, and today Fox & Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade got in the act, defending his FNC cohort by saying not all "Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim." Huh.

Kilmeade's defense:

"That debate is like our debate on training wheels. That was our debate, like, seven weeks ago. And they can't handle the give and take of a debate. They were outraged that someone was saying that there was a reason, there was a certain group of people that attacked us on 9/11. It wasn't just one person, it was one religion. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims."

It should be noted that the following video comes from Media Matters, who has in the past, neglected to include proper context that changes the meaning of an entire quote. However, the video below is in of itself, a pretty clear example of what many feel is the dangerously oversimplified view and equally intolerant syllogism of terrorist = Muslim.

Just a refresher - a terrorist is someone who uses wanton acts of violence to cow and oppress a group of people, not unlike the Ku Klux Klan who used such tactics in the earlier part of last century. By comparison, many members of the KKK also were Christian, so had Kilmeade been around in the 40s and 50s when the lynching of African-Americans was still occurring, using his own faulty logic, he could have ostensibly said that "all terrorists are Christians."

Words do matter, and when you are on a network of such dominant power and unprecedented political bent, one needs to be responsible for the words one uses. Kilmeade's words, in this instance, are beyond irresponsible. They are reprehensible.

Last edited by Carcharodon; 10-15-2010 at 12:30 PM.