The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
bhayes
Side-Kick

Default Will this redeem the franchise.

I have to be honest i loved X3 sure i could have been better. but i doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

now orgins is a diff. story. it was terrible.

by first class seems to be a great film i a real redeemer. i'm excited. but once we have a complete trilogy. what next?

x-factor x men 4? wolveine in japan trilogy? we need quality control here

Last edited by bhayes; 03-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.
bhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Will this redeem the franchise.

Yep it will.

The wolverine Inless there Is x4 or X-Men;Days of Future Past will be Hugh jackman's final Appearance as Wolverine.Of there Is also Deadpool assuming It gets made and I am
doudtful on that.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Marvel
Side-Kick

Despite the mob mentality (certain fanboys talking themselves in to hating a film) I enjoyed X-Men Origins Wolverine and parts of X3. Both were a step down from X2 but there's really no need to redeem anything. General audiences have a high regard for the X-Men films to date. Whinny fanboys may be a different story but honestly, they are doing themselves no real favors because most people are tuning them out regularly now anyway.

Regardless, I'm getting an X2 vibe with First Class and that's nothing but a good thing. I'm sure they'll still be complaints however good it turns out as a film because differentiating between a movie universe and a literary universe is simply to big of a leap for some people to make.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

To the public eye, ths really doesn;t need much redeeming.

These movies are cash cows for Fox and even Origins being leaked a month before, getting bad reviews STILL made a good amount of money all things considering.

I feel Singer and company feel more pressure to satisfy the die hard fans that have been dissapointed with the past two films

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
bhayes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Despite the mob mentality (certain fanboys talking themselves in to hating a film) I enjoyed X-Men Origins Wolverine and parts of X3. Both were a step down from X2 but there's really no need to redeem anything. General audiences have a high regard for the X-Men films to date. Whinny fanboys may be a different story but honestly, they are doing themselves no real favors because most people are tuning them out regularly now anyway.

Regardless, I'm getting an X2 vibe with First Class and that's nothing but a good thing. I'm sure they'll still be complaints however good it turns out as a film because differentiating between a movie universe and a literary universe is simply to big of a leap for some people to make.
well my issue is this. X3 has the vibe of the animated series, the comic, and the first two films all rolled into one. and i feel like it brings the story to a strong close. And they managed to get Beast in the mix. i liked the plot too.

Orgins well. i feel bad for jackman and gavin hood. whoever's fault it is that this film got screwed over. i mean the video game cinematics show tha the overal structure of the story was fine. but the style of the direction was aweful. its a pain to watch it. i mean when i now look at x3 i see things that could have been better, but i feel that x3 completes the trilogy. it was a great ending. heroes die, villians fall. the cure plot. it was really good.

as for brett ratner. well he is right. he should be proud of his film. infact i wish they had invited him back for wolverine. he would've done a bette job. i mean damn. i wonder if the real story of why that film was as bad as it was will come out one day.

as for first class its a shame that we didn't get this type of film the first time.

i mean really. this is how the series should have began. just instead of Havok we should have cyclops. instead of angel salvadore we should have jean grey, collosous, ice man and angel, shadow cat, . but same story. and a wolverine cameo.

this is the line up we should have gotten.

but oh well. it will never happen. But i guess what we are getting is ok too.

its an original take on the story

recently i had the opportunity to view the x films dubbed in german. and i saw the film as a non-comic fan. And the x films (minus orgins) are very good sci fi action movies about people born is super powers who get discriminated against.

its good. but lets keep it real. because fox didn't believe in the first x movie. they didn't give Bryan Singer the time & $$$ to do a more accurate line up of characters. so they changed things around.

and each film the screw with the continuity. and now Magneto is the hero of the story and wolverine (minus orgins) is also the center of the x story.

so they are taking the x men comic and turning it into something else other than what it was originally intended to be. sure the films have elements of the comic in it. but its a huge departure.

but First Class looks good. i looks like something we haven't seen before. a powerful drama and a great action sci fi film. michael fassbender as the younger magneto looks like a strong male lead.

in the comics and the animated series we saw a guy wearing a purple costume who emits purple shock waves and gives long speeches but now magneto is the angry young hero trying to do the right thing and survive.

its interesting. next to wolverine's claws. magnetism is the coolest mutant power ever. i wish i could bend metal

Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Angamb
Banned User

my answer to the main question: Im totally sure.

This movie will be start a new direction in the franchise.

and that direction is: quality, again.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
You forgot the critics. They despised Wolverine and said that X3 was a few steps down in quality.

As for the general audience, look at Wolverine's box office. It was pathetic. It's budget was $150 and it made $179 domestic. That also means that the general audience did not hold that film in high regards. So pretty much most everyone did not hold that movie in high regards.

The most we can hope for this film is that it is good and word of mouth boosts it up but the general audience do not forget terrible movies. Past terrible movies have an effect on future box office.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
my answer to the main question: Im totally sure.

This movie will be start a new direction in the franchise.

and that direction is: quality, again.
You put way too much stock in Vaughn and Singer. While I'm interested in seeing what they've done here, they can easily screw it up. Valkyrie and Superman Returns were crap and while most on here will dissagree, so was Kick-Ass.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Angamb
Banned User

the story of this movie is more worthy than the Wolverine one, at least.

This will be the most political plot of the whole franchise, and I like that.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
You forgot the critics. They despised Wolverine and said that X3 was a few steps down in quality.

As for the general audience, look at Wolverine's box office. It was pathetic. It's budget was $150 and it made $179 domestic. That also means that the general audience did not hold that film in high regards. So pretty much most everyone did not hold that movie in high regards.

The most we can hope for this film is that it is good and word of mouth boosts it up but the general audience do not forget terrible movies. Past terrible movies have an effect on future box office.

I would hardley call it "pathetic" you also gotta look into how much it made on DVD/Blu Ray and even not including the DVD sales it made back the budget and more

Despite all the negatives surrounding that film and the leak, the movie did pretty decent at the box office.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
The Guard
Side-Kick

I agree that the general public doesn't really think X3 requires much in the way of redeeming, and I feel it only has a few missteps, that, and the runtime issue. WOLVERINE tends to be seen as a seperate entity, much like I think FIRST CLASS will be seen. It kind of came and went for the general public. I think Ratner did a hell of a job with what he had to work with, and yes, Xavier and Cyclops died in his movie...but they died in style.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1988 View Post
I would hardley call it "pathetic" you also gotta look into how much it made on DVD/Blu Ray and even not including the DVD sales it made back the budget and more

Despite all the negatives surrounding that film and the leak, the movie did pretty decent at the box office.
Yeah, I really think that leak would've killed another film and it certainly held down the box office. I know more than one person who saw the leak and thus never paid to see it in theatres. Origins DVD sales were quite strong, not something you see from a film no one supposedly liked. Origins certainly wasn't perfect but it had it's moments and was one of the best films released in what was a weak summer of 2009. I'm hoping Aronofsky's The Wolverine hits a higher mark because the character deserves a 10/10 masterpiece.

I have faith that First Class will hit X2 levels and that's more than good enough for me.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #13
bhayes
Side-Kick

Quote:
To the public eye, ths really doesn;t need much redeeming.

These movies are cash cows for Fox and even Origins being leaked a month before, getting bad reviews STILL made a good amount of money all things considering.

I feel Singer and company feel more pressure to satisfy the die hard fans that have been dissapointed with the past two films
good points. even though wolverine was a bad movie. it still made money

Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:

It was pathetic. How do you call making $25 million over the budget not pathetic When you throw in advertising costs, it didn't make a profit domestic. It also barely beat X1's numbers. That is sad. When you adjust for inflation, it lost to X1.

The movie didn't bomb but it didn't do good. It just barely limped to the hospital to be saved and warrant a sequel. It had a pathetic take for a big budget summer action movie not because of the leak, but because the movie was just crap. That is why they cleaned house and are going in a different direction for The Wolverine...to redeem the franchise. That is why First Class is leaving out Wolverine and parts of X3...to redeem the franchise. Thank Goodness!

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."

Last edited by chaseter; 03-11-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Jager X
Banned User

I feel that the only thing that is going to redeem the X-Men movie franchise is a full-on reboot. Now will the film be successful? Maybe.

Jager X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I have faith in this film.

Seriously Matthew Vaughn is a good director and Bryan Singer (the director of X1 and X2) is also part of the crew. It would be a nightmare if they managed to screw this film.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

I have faith that this movie will at the very least, be better than X3 and Wolverine, and maybe just under X1.

I hope this does well because I truly love X-Men and I'd like more sequels that will lend toward tying up the series while introducing more characters and more classic story arcs

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #18
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I think this film will be good but I don't think it will be enough to redeem this franchise and steer it in the right direction.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

lol this franchise is fine.

Seriously, the only people who think it's down are the die hard fans.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

That must be why X1 and X2 made around triple their production cost while Wolverine and X3 only made around double. And it must be why the hype around this film is so booming compared to X3. And it must be why Fox repeatedly scrapped their plans for the series over and over again over after X3 until this film which was supposed to be about the young mutants from X3 and then was supposed to be Scott/Jean/Ororo as the first team and now is instead replacing X-Men Origins: Magneto. Yeah, this franchise has a perfectly clear idea of where it's heading.

Not to mention back during X3's production, Singer was considered expendable but when the exact same scenario popped up for First Class, Fox was way more willing to make sure he stayed on in some capacity. But I'm sure that's just them being nice and not an indication of where the franchise is now in comparison to where it was during X2.

And the fact that the series was linear up until X3 and now refuses to continue on with what Wolverine or X3 set up? That's just a coincidence. I'm sure the fact Deadpool, First Class, and even Wolverine 2 are openly ignoring X-Men Origins: Wolverine even though it was originally supposed to set up all three films doesn't mean anything significant.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.

Last edited by Deaths Head II; 05-01-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
Sloth7d
Escapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager X View Post
I feel that the only thing that is going to redeem the X-Men movie franchise is a full-on reboot. Now will the film be successful? Maybe.
Make James Cameron or Zak Snyder(though doubtful he'll do anything not under WB at this point) the director, and you can change that "maybe" to a "definitely".

Sloth7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

lol, wow...ok.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #23
Sweet Xstacy
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was pathetic. How do you call making $25 million over the budget not pathetic When you throw in advertising costs, it didn't make a profit domestic. It also barely beat X1's numbers. That is sad. When you adjust for inflation, it lost to X1.

The movie didn't bomb but it didn't do good. It just barely limped to the hospital to be saved and warrant a sequel. It had a pathetic take for a big budget summer action movie not because of the leak, but because the movie was just crap. That is why they cleaned house and are going in a different direction for The Wolverine...to redeem the franchise. That is why First Class is leaving out Wolverine and parts of X3...to redeem the franchise. Thank Goodness!
This is a slanted argument. Wolverine made $179 million domestic and another $193 million overseas. You can't discount the international total. That's over $373 million world wide. That's not pathetic at all.

Sweet Xstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
chaseter
Bland User

$373 million is good if the budget had been $75 million. It made a profit only because of the box office overseas and that profit margin was very, very small. Domestic, it only made $179 with a budget of $150. It didn't even make a profit here and worldwide it barely made a profit. That is pathetic. Making a movie that cost as much as it made domestic means the movie probably sucked. That is not a slanted argument. It tells you what the audience thought about the movie.

I feel bad for First Class that it has to fight an uphill battle because the audience still has a bad taste in their mouths from the last two movies. Hopefully this movie puts the X-Men in a positive light again.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
$373 million is good if the budget had been $75 million. It made a profit only because of the box office overseas and that profit margin was very, very small. Domestic, it only made $179 with a budget of $150. It didn't even make a profit here and worldwide it barely made a profit. That is pathetic. Making a movie that cost as much as it made domestic means the movie probably sucked. That is not a slanted argument. It tells you what the audience thought about the movie.
I never understood this argument. To me, if a movie makes back double its budget, then it was a commercial success.

You also have to take into account DVD and Blu-ray sales. If these movies. Were as bad as others have made them out to be, they wouldn't have made any more money in the home entertainment market.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote