The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #51
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

Default Re: Will this redeem the franchise.

I don't think they need to have Wolverine for First Class to be a success, I think that was part of the problem with The Last Stand, Wolverine became the main focus. I think in the first two films although he played a major part we had more of a sense of the other characters as well. In The Last Stand a lot of the plot revolved around Jean and Logan which would have been okay had a few changes been made so that the other characters still had strong on-screen presence. Perhaps that was the reason Wolverine Origins isn't as well liked as well? I don't believe that Wolverine himself was the actual problem.

It's just my opinion but I don't think The Last Stand was too terrible as a whole, I just think they needed to focus a little more on some of the other X-Men as they did in the first two films and perhaps they should have altered the phoenix story arc a little.

In any case First Class is a breath of fresh air, I look forward to it. I'll try to prevent getting off topic again as well XD

I think it depends whether First Class is seen as a prequel to the trilogy or not. If it's fantastic but isn't linked to the original three/four films it won't do very much 'redeeming', if it is then it may do quite a bit of 'redeeming' in some people's eyes.

Cheshire1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #52
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

yes this movie will redeem the franchise and I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #53
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
If FC isn't a massive success, it's still a step in the right direction. The main problem it faces is all the other movies coming out in this very crowded year. So we need some big, mainstream advertising to get people aware of it.
Completely agree.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #54
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

I've always been of two minds on the redeeming thing. On one hand, I really, really, really want Marvel to get their characters back since FOX has become anathema to me. At the same time, I really like Vaughn as a director and want to see a good X-men film from him. I'm torn. This is almost solely to Vaughn's credit since after Wolverine I was ready to swear off Fox made X-Men films forever.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #55
ThanosOfTitans
The Mad Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
I wouldn't go so far to call it horrible, but it was definitely mediocre at best.
You're right...I'll give it a nudge just below mediocre. I'm actually glad it did not turn out great...quite frankly, i'm tired of Wolverine. Not really looking forward to the next Wolverine movie.

First class seems to be shaping up just fine without the character included...and that makes me very happy.

ThanosOfTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #56
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

^ I agree, although Wolverine himself wasn't the problem he was way overused and became somewhat boring. The First Class characters such as Havok and Banshee are lesser known figures amongst people who don't read the comics and it'll be interesting to see what people's reactions are.

Cheshire1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #57
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
This is almost solely to Vaughn's credit since after Wolverine I was ready to swear off Fox made X-Men films forever.
I cannot envision a world where Wolverine would've been that much better if distributed by a different studio under the same conditions.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #58
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Fox set up all the conditions for Wolverine though. They had enough time to make it and it's the film they came up with. A more sensible studio would have looked at that initial script and thrown it out the window. Fox on the other hand decided a script with a Sabertooth clone army was worth saving and got someone to rewrite it instead. And by rewrite I mean put in a lot of cameos.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #59
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Spoiler Re: Will this redeem the franchise.

Quote:
I've always been of two minds on the redeeming thing. On one hand, I really, really, really want Marvel to get their characters back since FOX has become anathema to me. At the same time, I really like Vaughn as a director and want to see a good X-men film from him. I'm torn. This is almost solely to Vaughn's credit since after Wolverine I was ready to swear off Fox made X-Men films forever.
100% agree. Hopefully Fox and Marvel can work something out. On the one hand, I don't reallly want to see X-men as part of the MCU, but I do want Marvel to get the rights back so they can get the Lion's share of the profits.

Wolverine had alot of potential, but was just so poorly executed.

I'm excited about First Class, but remain skeptical. I actually think with Thor the bar has been raised for the films this summer, and hopefully FC, GL and Cap can live up to or exceed it.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
kedrell

I'm confident with regards to XMFC & Cap. GL? Less so but still hoping against hope.. But I still think C&A is gonna be the best comic book film of the year.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #61
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It's always difficult to separate hardcore fan reaction from general public reaction on sites like this. We assume that the comic book nerd consensus or even the general online majority is the same as the mainstream public consensus but it isn't.

If there was a winning formula and a predictable public response, all studios would follow the formula and all films would be a big success.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #62
kedrell

I personally feel kinda lucky this year since NONE of the superhero properties coming to screen are one's that I've ever been a fan of in comics. I was always aware of them, sure. But I feel largely objective this year and less encumbered by my own fandom than in the past few years.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #63
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

I like how even though there are a lot of comic book movies coming out this year, all of them are quite different in tone and cadence.

Thor is a little more kid-friendly and fantastical.
X-Men is more serious and dramatic.
Captain America is a sci-fi WWII story.
Green Lantern is a fantasy adventure.

I suspect a broader demographic of audiences will be more apt to go see X-Men and Captain America and Green Lantern will probably appease more kids and the more avid comic fans than women and older audience members. Thor's strong box office is no surprise as I also think it strikes the right chord between being accessible enough for mainstream audiences but also hitting that right balance with fans. I think Captain America and X-Men will do the same.

Green Lantern could go either way. I think what will make or break GL is word of mouth. I think a lot of people are thinking that it won't do very well, but hey, Ryan Reynolds has a big fanbase right now and Martin Campbell is an extremely competent filmmaker.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #64
kedrell

Campbell, Johnston & Branagh are all hit-or-miss directors. When they hit, they hit big(either commercially, critically or both) but when they miss they also miss big.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #65
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Johnston more than Branagh and Branagh more than Campbell...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #66
akfj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire1996 View Post
I don't think they need to have Wolverine for First Class to be a success, I think that was part of the problem with The Last Stand, Wolverine became the main focus. I think in the first two films although he played a major part we had more of a sense of the other characters as well. In The Last Stand a lot of the plot revolved around Jean and Logan which would have been okay had a few changes been made so that the other characters still had strong on-screen presence. Perhaps that was the reason Wolverine Origins isn't as well liked as well? I don't believe that Wolverine himself was the actual problem.
The problem is that X-Men: TLS was turned into a Wolverine movie and Wolverine Origins was turned into an X-Men movie.

akfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #67
Snikt
Side-Kick

I picked up the issue of Total Film featuring the X-Men on the cover. Here's a direct quote from Vaughn:

"I've made the movie I said I was going to make. I'm the one to blame if the people don't like it."

Sounds like he's been in control throughout the entire process

Last edited by Snikt; 05-17-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #68
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Johnston more than Branagh and Branagh more than Campbell...
I don't think so. Campbell & Joghston may sorta be similar. They're both tied with number of fresh films on RT at 3 each. Of the 3 guys, Johnston has directed the fewest films so his percentage is improved a bit over Campbell's. But Branagh's a whole other situation. He's a bit above them. If there's one I was worried the most about it'd be Campbell.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #69
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
I don't think so. Campbell & Joghston may sorta be similar. They're both tied with number of fresh films on RT at 3 each. Of the 3 guys, Johnston has directed the fewest films so his percentage is improved a bit over Campbell's. But Branagh's a whole other situation. He's a bit above them. If there's one I was worried the most about it'd be Campbell.
Campbell has a much stronger streak to him as of late than Johnston. He's got a bit more experience on his side as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #70
kedrell

And more misses.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #71
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

My comment still stands.