The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #26
Harlekin
Business

Default Re: The All-Star Marvel RPG: Season 2.0

Created by Byrd Man and Harlekin

While Tork and DeWolff traded words over the bagged coffee cup, Daz and Gonzales had followed the uniforms on their canvass. The two knocked on every door near the bank, but heard nothing useful. Down in Midtown, everybody was too busy doing their own thing to bother noticing anyone else doing theirs.

“Well, if you think of anything,” Gonzales said half-heartedly as Daz extended another business card. The door slammed shut before they’d even turned around. As they walked onto the pavement, Daz surveyed the scene and Gonzales surveyed Daz.
“Got something on your mind, gup?” Daz asked as they moved down the street.
“Just trying to figure you and Tork out.”
“You wondering what happened to the welcoming committee, huh?”
“You could say that.” They crossed the street. “I was transferred from harbour patrol to you guys because they said you needed me.”
“That’s what they said?”
Gonzales nodded, stepping over a bum lying by the side of a tenement building. Daz stepped onto the porch in front of him. “They even went so far as to call it being fast-tracked,” Gonzales continued, “like I was being promoted or something.”
Daz looked back over his shoulder to the officer, stoically.
“From where I’m standing,” Gonzales said, the bum only a few feet behind him, “this doesn’t look – or smell – like much of a promotion.”
Daz, standing before a new door, looked over him. “You gonna get with this, or what?’ he said, thrusting his thumb at the door.
Gonzales had his hands in his jacket pockets and he looked to the side. “Let’s go grab a sandwich. I know a good place right around the corner.”
Daz held up his hand, ready to knock.
“Oh come one, already. I thought you guys were good at this. If you want to learn anything in this part of town, you need to talk to the real locals.”
Daz waited a second, then accepted the proposal. He was wondering what the newbie officer was up to. They walked back across the street, to a corner café called ‘Cuppa Italiano’. It had the same little tables outside that you might find on a Roman terrace, but the café itself was a decidedly New York locale. A little counter top ran along the windows and a few stools were scattered around the place. There was another counter, with several sorts of delicacies displayed and a man with a broad smile working behind it. His hair was greasy and styled a little like The King’s. A gold chain hung around his bronzed neck.

“Oh, the prodigal son returns!” he proclaimed at the sight of Gonzales. Daz frowned. The roof was inches from his head and he almost had to enter the place turned to the side. He couldn’t imagine what it was like if it were actually full.
Gonzales and the man meanwhile, exchanged a few ‘how are ya’s’ and shook hands. “Ralphie, get me and this guy here a couple of nr. 10’s, all right?”
“You got it,” Ralphie answered, shouting to the kitchen: “Two numbers 10’s and make ‘em spicy!”
Daz frowned again. “Accept no substitute, big guy,” Gonzales said. “Best Italian meat in the city.”
Daz was about to say something, when three other men entered the store.
“Well, well, what is it they say, ‘you can never go home again’?” the man who entered first said. He was wearing a blue suit with a bit of a sheen to it. Leather shoes that almost looked they were actually Italian made. His hair was slicked back. He was smirking. His friends looked much the same.
“Paulie Provenzano,” Gonzales responded, without a hint of emotion. They were silent for a second, before Gonzales finally said, grinning. “Pee Pee Paulie.”
“You can’t say that no more,” Paulie responded, jabbing a finger in Gonzales’ chest. The police officer looked down at the appendage and then to Paulie. He wasn’t impressed.
“These ain’t the old days anymore, Vin-ny.” Paulie looked to his friends, standing silently behind him. “You can’t touch me.”
Gonzales took a step forward and at that moment, the difference in size and height became acutely prominent. “You want to see about that?”
Provenzano smiled. “Some other time,” he said as he motioned for his companions to leave. “Maybe when you leave the big mulignan at home, eh?”
At that, Daz took a step forward, but Provenzano was already leaving.

“Hey, what is this, you making trouble in my store again, Vinny?” A man came from the kitchen, with two large sandwiches, stuffed with capicola and mutz.
“Hey Guiseppe,” Gonzales replied and the same ritual as with Ralphie repeated itself.
“This boy, he was such a troublemaker when he was a kid,” the cook said, his hand on Gonzales’ shoulder. He was decidedly shorter than both Gonzales and Daz and also on the heavy side.
“I’m starting to believe that,” Daz replied, taking a bite from his sandwich.
“But what brings you here, Vinny? Last I heard about you, they had you cleaning out the Hudson.”
“Got a new unit, Guiseppe. We’re looking into that bank got robbed today. You see anything? Big guy, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?”
Guiseppe theatrically raised his hands in the air and shook his head.
“I don’t know what is happening here anymore.”
“What happened?”
“You know the jeweller down the street, George? Robbed last week. Man’s bare hands went through the glass, didn’t feel nothing. And Angelo, who runs bets a few streets over? Man was kicking down doors like they were made outta cartboard.”
“Sounds like he could be our guy,” Gonzales said to Daz. “Anyone know who it is? Is he a player?” he asked Guiseppe, who shook his head.
“Anything else?”
Again, Guiseppe shook his head.
“Well, thanks anyway,” Gonzales said as he handed the man some money, “and for the sandwiches too.”
“Oh, get outta here,” Guiseppe replied, stuffing the money back in Gonzales’ hand. The two police officers left and as they walked out, Daz said: “We might be in trouble.”

Gonzales frowned, but didn’t ask as they walked back to the Chevy. Tork and DeWolff were waiting.
“Anything?” Tork asked Daz.
“Looks like our guy was moving up. Hit a jeweller and a betting shop first,” Gonzales responded instead. Tork looked to Daz.
“I’m thinking it’s MGH, boss.”
“What’s that?” Gonzales asked.
“Mutant Growth Hormone,” DeWolff replied.
“Has the neighbourhood boys hopping, narcotics got their hands full with it,” Dazz added.
“You think its made its way midtown?” Tork asked Daz. He nodded.
“Hmm, that could get ugly.”
“So, what are we going to do?” Gonzales asked.
“What do you think, gup?” Tork said as he got into the car.
Gonzales and DeWolff exchanged looks over the hood of the Chevy. She shook her head, smiling, and got in.
“What?” Gonzales responded to the look with his hands in the air. Begrudgingly, he got in the car.
“We’re gonna pay a visit to Randy the Candy Man,” Tork said when everyone was seated.
“So, I hate to be the one to ask all the questions,” Gonzales said as Daz started the car, “but who is the Candy Man?”
“Randy the Candy Man,” Tork corrected him. “You’ll see.”

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
sabetoonth
Who?

“You sure want to do this alone, Bruce?” Leonard asked his friend as he stood on the porch and Bruce Banner stood on the little path of concrete which lead out to the street.

Bruce looked back from down the road he had chosen to follow. “Yea, I’m better off alone on this one, for your own sake Leonard. It’s too dangerous to follow me around.” He gave his friend a warm smile, as if to say he’d be alright on his own. They parted ways, the first in possibly many times. Bruce’s next destination was to find everything he could about Lam’s research, he and Bruce were both part of what created the Hulk, and Bruce’s dad’s experiments. Those keys were in his journals and those were in military custody. He wanted a key to understand the Hulk, he could…some what control it, aim it. He’d come to terms with the creature enough to do that. But he couldn’t full control it, perhaps understanding it would allow that to occur. And so he set out on foot for a long walk, he would take the bus, but that was dangerous, more for everyone else than him. He’d drive, but again, dangerous, and also confining and slow, let alone he would have to acquire a car. He didn’t have any money, and to use his credit cards? He’d already learned better. If he made a withdrawal the government would know and then come for him. First, he had to get his direction right. Where was he heading? Well, Banner could go back to the base, which was probably locked down tighter than Fort Knox. He could try to find Lam, but that would be just as hard if not harder. His dad’s journals. Again, he’d have to track them down and they were also in custody by now no doubt, months after becoming the Hulk anything he owned was probably in military custody. Where was he supposed to start? Perhaps Bruce could get in touch with a former professor of his, Samuel Sterns, at the university he attended years ago in South Carolina.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #28
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

110th Street
Morningside Heights

The Nova pulled in to the parking spot a half block away from the Brownstone. Tork reached down for the scanner under the Nova's radio and grabbed the mic.

"Dispatch, Seven-Two-Charlie here."

"Go ahead, Seven-Two,"
the dispatcher crackled back through the speaker

"We're on the 3500 block of 110th Street. We need a patrol unit to 10-6 with us. It's regarding a person of interest in the 567 from earlier today."

"10-4, Seven-Two."

Tork placed the mic back in the cradle and picked the double-barreled shotgun off the floorboard. He reached into the left front pocket of his flannel shirt, removing a pair of shells.

"What's the story with this Randy the Candy Man?" DeWolff asked from the backseat. She spoke while taking a puff on her cigarette and exhaling the smoke out the popped open back window.

"He's a pain in the neck is what he is," Daz said from the driver's seat. His Glock was on his lap with the clip out, the magazine and its contents being inspected by the police officer.

"Daz and I butted heads with him a few times when we were in Narco," Tork said. "He's a drug dealer, pushes mostly to college kids at Columbia."

"Used to be a student at Columbia," Daz said, sliding the Glock's clip back into place. "We popped him. But, we didn't have enough to convict. The arrest was enough so that he got kicked out for slinging on campus. He took his profits and set up shop at a house just a few blocks away from the school."

"If anyone is pushing MGH, it's him," Tork said. "He gets all the primo stuff in the city. Coke, X, weed, pain pills, even some of those pills that kids with ADD take. He's got the money to afford heavy weight on any drug."

"Thing of it is," Daz added. "He was a rich kid, had rich parents. They cut him off after they found about his drug dealing."

"He probably got off on the thrill of doing it," Tork said, popping open the shotgun open and sliding the shells into place. "Money came second."

Tork flicked his wrist and snapped the shotgun shut with a click.

"Alright, let's see what we got in the trunk."

Daz and Tork got out, pulling their seats up for DeWolff and Gonzales. Daz had stuck his pistol back into the holster while Tork held his shotgun down by his side, keeping it close to his body and hiding it from any curious pedestrians. Daz walked to the back with the three cops following. He slid the keys into the trunk lock and opened it up
Spare ammunition, hand radios, kevlar vests with "POLICE" stamped on them in bold white letters, and a closet's worth of clothes were packed in the trunk. "I want everyone to vest up and get a radio," Tork said as they approached the trunk.

"Jeez, look at all this," Gonzales said, reaching his hand out to touch a wrinkled t-shirt.

"Back off," Daz snapped. "That ain't yours, man."

"What's your problem?" Gonzales asked, taking a step towards Daz and looking up at the taller man with a scowl on his face.

"Whoa, whoa," Tork said as he came between the two men. "Excuse me for a moment. I need to have a chat with Daz."

Gonzales shook his head and turned back to the trunk while Tork and Daz walked off out of earshot. DeWolff surveyed the items in the trunk. There were t-shirts, work shirts, basbeball caps, glasses and sunglasses, ties, and pairs of sneakers, dress shoes, and boots. "Disguises," she said.

"What was that?" Gonzales asked.

"Those are disguises. I see a ConEd hard hat, a work shirt with the name Mike on it."

The two officers looked up at the sound of a car approaching. An NYPD cruiser pulled to the side of the road and parked in the space behind the Nova. A short, stocky man stepped out of the cruiser and walked up.
"Someone called for a rollie?"

"That was us," Tork said as he and Daz walked back to the car. "We're about to scoop up somebody. Need you to cover the back door and take him over to the one-seven for us."

"Officer Bishop's Delivery Service: 30 minutes or less to any Manhattan precinct or your scumbag is free," Bishop said with a smirk. "Which one is it?"

Tork pointed down the street to the Brownstone. "There's a back alley he can get out of."

"I'm on it. I'll be standing by on the radio. I'm on channel seven."

Tork nodded and watched Bishop climb back into his car and start it up, pulling into the street and disappearing into the back alley behind the Brownstone.

"Alright, let's mount up."

They slipped the vests on and clipped the hand radios to their belts. Tork led the way down the street with his shotgun clamped in his hands, DeWolff with her large .45 behind him, Daz and Gonzales brought up the rear with their Glocks.

"It'd be best to get inside the house, ma'am," Tork told an elderly black woman standing on her stoop as the four passed by.

They climbed the steps to the Brownstone hurriedly and stopped a few inches short of the door. "Tork to Bishop," he said into the radio. "We're ready."

"So am I," Bishop replied. "I got the back covered."

"Alright, we're going in on green," Tork said.

"Wait," DeWolff said, tossing the cigarette stub out of her mouth and off the stoop. "We don't have PC to knock down the door."

"Yeah," Tork said. He looked around at the still late morning block. "I think we can get probable cause. Is it just me, or do the rest of you hear someone screaming for help on the other side of that door?"

"Thought I was the only one," Daz said.

"Well, that means it's green."

Tork gritted his teeth and kicked his leg forward. His large boot crashed against the door and slammed it it open. The four rushed into the apartment, scanning the foyer with their weapons raised. "Clear," Tork said. "Spread out."

Tork headed straight towards the living room with DeWolff behind him. Daz and Gonzales took a right and headed into the kitchen. The plasma flat screen in the living room was showing Al Pacino mowing down Colombian drug dealers with an assault rifle. Baggies of coke and pills were resting on the coffee table in front of the couch.

A door slammed open and a man darted through one of the side rooms off of the living room. Tork and DeWolff spun around just in time to see him running out towards the foyer.

"NYPD, freeze!" Tork shouted. The man kept running. "He's going rabbit," Tork yelled as he and DeWolff gave chase. The man bolted down the steps and down the block. He was a hundred feet ahead by the time the two detectives were on the street. They chased after him while Daz and Gonzales raced down the steps and towards the Nova.

Gonzales stopped momentarily to catch a glimpse of the running man.
Daz slid into the driver's seat and started it up with a roar. Gonzales leaped into the passenger's seat and reached for the radio. "Seven-Two-Charlie to dispatch."

"Go ahead, Seven-Two."

"We have a foot chase on the 3500 block of 21st Street. Officers in pursuit of a black male, approximately six feet tall wearing jeans and a Knicks jersey. Requesting back up and Helo."

"10-4, Seven-Two."

The Nova sped into the street and chased after the fleeing criminal as well as their fellow officers. Bishop's patrol car came out from the side alley and followed behind the Nova, the lights on and sirens wailing.

"He ran," Gonzales said with a sigh. "They always run."

Two blocks over, Tork and DeWolff darted down the side street. The man they were after cut through an apartment building's back door. DeWolff, wheezing and losing ground, cursed under her breath and kicked off her high heels. She was only a few yards behind Tork when she went through the apartment building's entrance in her bare feet.

The suspect ran through the apartment and passed a man laying motionless on the couch, watching TV. Tork and DeWolff came right behind him and followed the nan out the front door. The sound of police sirens began to fill the air, along with the steady thump of a chopper overhead.

"Helo 3,"
the pilot said on the radio. "I have eyes on the suspect. He's on the 500 block of Pennsylvania and is heading east. Officers in pursuit."

In the Nova, Daz cut the wheel sharply and raced down the street, speeding through a red light and narrowly avoiding a collision with a minivan. Gonzales held on to the dash with one hand, the roof of the car with his other hand. He kept his eyes peeled on the road, and held his breath every time Daz took a sharp corner.

Tork saw the man go over a chain linked fence that separated the sidewalk from an empty lot. He gave chase and was over the fence in a few seconds. The man jumped over a wooden fence on the other side of the lot and Tork followed. The shotgun toting sergeant landed on the sidewalk that was on the other side of the wooden fence. He followed the man towards a nearby subway station. DeWolff panted and struggled to climb over the chain link fence. She coughed and rubbed the stitch in her side as she came down. Gritting her teeth, DeWolff worked through the pain and ran shoeless through the empty lot, avoiding the rocks and broken bottles that was strewn all over. She struggled to climb over the wooden fence and came down on the sidewalk the same time Tork disappeared into the subway station. She made it down into the station just in time to see Tork slide into the closing doors of the departing subway.

DeWolff pulled her hand radio out and pressed the button. "DeWolff here. Got eyeball on he suspect and Tork," she said after catching her breath. "They're on the C train heading south-southeast." She limped up the stairs and saw the Nova racing down the street. Daz swung to the side of the road and Gonzales jumped into the back seat. DeWolff climbed into the passenger's seat and held on to the door handle as Daz hit the gas and tore down the street.

"Anybody know the next stop on that train?" She asked.

"Yeah," Daz replied, weaving into the other lane to pass a car. "103rd Street. I know a shortcut."

"How short?" She asked with an eyebrow raised. "Think there's a chance we can go back and get my shoes?"

On the subway, Tork held the shotgun down as he walked through the car towards the next one. "Stay calm," he announced to the passengers who noticed him. "NYPD. Everything's okay. Just don't panic."

"Don't do it," Gonzales said from the backseat of the Nova.

An semi-trailer truck was blocking the street ahead. It was backing up into the docking bay of a restaurant the street ran past. There was only a small amount of room to go around the truck on the street's left side, and the space was narrowing as the truck continued to back up. The driver appeared to be oblivious of the Nova's siren and flashing lights.

Daz gripped the steering wheel tightly and pushed the accelerator to the floor. Gonzales began saying a prayer in Spanish and crossing himself while DeWolff held her breath and gripped the dash as hard as she could. Daz cut the wheel to the left, the Nova made a scraping noise as it zoomed through the small space. Spinning the wheel back, Daz yanked the car back on to the right side of the road and pushed the accelerator faster. "Damn," he said. "Sounds like we scraped some of the paint off."

On the train, Tork saw a flash of blue fabric in the car in front of his, the same royal blue of a Knicks jersey. He pushed through and on to the next car just as the train began to slow down. The man in the Knicks jersey was already in the next car when the train stopped with a hiss. The doors slid open and he leaped out on to the platform. Tork pushed through the crowd of people trying to get out. By the time he had reached the platform, the man in the Knicks jersey was already racing up the stairs towards the exit.

The man came out of the station and turned the corner, coming face to face with the barrel of a large .45 revolver. "You twitch and I will be sure to turn that sorry brain of yours into*&^%ing paste," DeWolff barked out.

The Nova was parked on the curb behind her with its lights still flashing. Gonzales and Daz were leaned on the hood of the car, their pistols trained on the man as well. He held his arms up and remained still.

"Randy," Tork said as soon as he caught up to them. He put his arm around the man's shoulder and shook his head. "You ran. What's worse, you made me run."

Tork removed his arm from Randy's shoulder and shoved him to the ground in one swift move. Before he could move, Tork was on top of him with his left knee pinned in Randy's back. Two patrol cars came to a stop and the officers popped out. "You got him?" One of the officers, a gray haired man with sergeant strips, asked.

"Yeah," Tork said. "But we don't have any room for him in the Chevy. We need someone to take him to the one-seven for us."

"My officer still stands," the other officer, Bishop, said. "Thirty minutes or less."

Tork laid his shotgun on the ground and pulled out a pair of cuffs. He snapped them on Randy's wrists and jerked him up on his feet. Tork led Randy to Bishop's car and shoved him in the back. "Keep him on ice for us. We need to head over to his place and see what we can find."

"What'd he do, anyway?" Bishop asked, his hat tilted back and scratching his head.

"He ran," Tork said as he picked his shotgun off the pavement and putting it on his shoulder.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #29
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Quote:
"This is going to be your room, Pete--well, your temporary one, anyway. As soon as we've finished our project here, we'll get you into your real room at our new house. But for now, this is where you'll be staying once you're born. Granted, it's not exactly the Waldorff, but your Uncle Ben and Aunt May have been kind enough to--"

*DING DONG*

"Hang on, looks like someone's at the door. Let's see what's going on...."

"George, good to see you. What's the good word?"

"Just wanted to start telling everyone the good news--Helen and I are having a baby girl."

"That's fantastic! Congratulations, I--actually, it's funny. My brother's staying with us for a few months, and his wife is having a baby too. Can't believe I haven't introduced you yet. Hey, Richard!"

"Yeah?"

"Come down here for a sec, I'd like to introduce you to someone!"

"Coming..................okay."

"Are you ever going to turn that camera off?"

"What can I say? I'm a shutter-bug."

"Well anyway, Richard, this is my next-door neighbor, Detective George Stacy. George, this is my little brother Richard."

"Nice to meet you. So Ben tells me you're having a baby too?"

"Yup, a boy. I'm trying to record as much as possible of this for him. Like a time capsule, or, y'know....something."

"Hm. Well, while you're in the area, maybe we can coordinate. Baby showers for the wives, play-dates, that sort of thing."

"Thanks for the offer, but, well, we're probably not going to be in the area too much longer after our Peter is born. Maybe three or four months."

"Well, as long as he's in my neighborhood, I'll make sure to keep an eye on him."

"So Peter.......how's your burger?"

"It's.....good," I say nervously as I wipe a stray blot of ketchup from the corner of my mouth.

"Really good, actually," Gwen adds. "You've really outdone yourself, Dad."

And it's true-- Captain Stacy can grill a mean burger.

"I'm glad you like it," he says, then goes back to eating his own burger.

That's pretty much the entire dinner conversation. You know how they say that tension can be so thick that you can cut it with a knife? Not this tension--the knife would just get stuck.

I've clammed up ever since I stepped through the door, too petrified to say or do anything for fear of setting him off. Gwen's been nothing but smiles and compliments, doing everything in her power to stay on her dad's good side, trying to make sure he likes me, and decides not to leap across the dinner table and strangle me.

The really uncomfortable thing is just how calm he is, like it's just an everyday polite family dinner that he just happened to invite me over to join. The way he moves, the tone of his voice, like it didn't affect him at all to know that the kid from next door is also a wanted mutant vigilante....

...and a wanted mutant vigilante who just slept with his daughter, on top of that.

Once every couple of minutes, though, he shoots me a glance that lets me know that it's coming. He's just waiting for the right time to lay down the law on me, and it's going to be brutal.

That's why Gwen and I eat our burgers as slowly as possible--try and delay the inevitable after-dinner conversation as long as we can.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and soon we've both finished our food. Captain Stacy munches down the last bite of his burger, then leans back in his chair satisfied.

"Yessir, I think I did outdo myself that time," he says as he puts his hands behind his head and stretches like he's going to take a nap right there in the chair.

"Well, I can, um.....I can get started on the dishes if you--"

"No no, I'll take care of them in a minute,"
he says. "Have you finished your homework, pumpkin?"

"Yes sir, I did it right after school, and--"

"Could you double-check it for me?"

The tone of his voice is innocent enough, but the look in his eyes is clear-- go to your room so I can eviscerate your boyfriend.

"Yes sir," Gwen says, giving me an apologetic look before heading up the stairs.

Here it comes. I'm dead.

"So Peter," he addresses me like he's just shooting the breeze, "I saw those pictures you sent in to the Daily Bugle for their online news today--Spider-Man taking down another one of those super-villains downtown."

"Yeah.....the, uh, the guy in the Big Wheel?" I say, practically shaking in my boots.

"That's the one," he says, chuckling. "From the looks of it, Spider-Man took him down pretty easily. It'll probably mess with traffic for a few weeks while they re-pave the streets he ripped up, but at least no one was hurt. I've gotta say, Spider-Man did a good job with that one."

"Yeah, he, erm, he really did."

"And you did a good job getting all of those pictures, too."

"....thanks...."

"Must be a pretty dangerous line of work,"
he says. "You know.....doing what he does. Spider-Man, I mean."

I'm squirming in my chair. Half of me is actually hoping the Green Goblin comes back right now and just Pumpkin-Bombs me to death so I don't have to get grilled like this.

"I guess," I squeak out.

"Hunting down all those criminals, putting his life on the line every day. All those mobsters wanting him dead, all those psychopaths with costumes trying to tear him apart. Even us cops are supposed to be hunting him down, since he's on HAMMER's most wanted list. I can see why he wears that mask. He's got to find some way to hide from all the people out to get him."

"I. um, I don't think he wears that mask to hide, sir," I mutter. "I think he does it to protect something. Maybe he's got friends or loved ones that would be in danger if his secret got let out."

"Well, if that's the case,"
Captain Stacy muses, "Then he should make sure that his secret never, ever gets out. Because if the wrong people discovered who he was, then it wouldn't just be him who's in danger, but the people he cares about. So Spider-Man should be as careful as humanly possible, take any precautions he can, do whatever he needs to do to keep that secret safe."

The man's tone of voice isn't casual or friendly anymore. It's deadly serious, as he sends an icy stare right into me. The things that are at stake....the people who are at risk if I ever get found out.......he knows exactly what he's talking about. And who he'll hold responsible if anything ever happens.

"I.....I understand, sir," I say.

"Good," he says, leaning back again like everything's okay, "I'm glad we could reach an understanding on that. Now that that's out of the way, we can talk about something else......like the fact that you're a seventeen-year-old boy who's been getting very close with my daughter."

.....can we go back to the part where you were telling me you know that I'm Spider-Man?

"I......I know that Gwen and I, we, um.........we got caught up in the moment, and it got out of hand, and one thing led to another and........"

"That's what I've heard,"
he says coldly, becoming a veritable stone-wall to deflect anything I say.

"I promise, I didn't mean for it to happen. I've got nothing but the best intentions, I swear. I mean, I've known Gwen my whole life. I love Gwen, I know I do, and--"

"Peter, stop. Just stop,"
he cuts me off. "I know that you've always bonded with Gwen, and I suppose this was going to happen sooner or later. And at least you're not her last boyfriend.....that Brock boy was always a lout. You're a good kid, Peter. You and Gwen deserve each other."

That....was not at all what I was expecting.

"....thank you....sir...."

"Of course, it goes without saying that you're going to do the right thing...."
he says, an undercurrent of threat in his voice.

"Well, yeah--I mean yes sir, I, um.......I was thinking.....I've still got Aunt May's old wedding band in storage, and I could use that, and save up my money from the Bugle to buy a real ring for her and--"

"No,"
he says flatly. "Don't even think about it."

"But you just said--"

"My daughter is not going to be one of those pathetic sob-stories who gets married before they're even out of high school,"
he says. "I said you're a good kid, but right now, that's what you are: a kid. And no kid is going to marry my daughter. She deserves better than that."

I bite down on my lip and try not to be insulted.

"But, she seems to have her eyes set on you, so here's what's going to happen."

He stands up from his chair and walks over to me, practically towering over me as I shrink down into my seat.

"You're going to graduate from high school, and then you're going to go to college. You're going to get your degree, and use your degree to get a job-- a real job, not just selling photos for the newspaper. You're going to quit being Spider-Man the second the police can take down the super-criminals of the city without your help, or when another superhero comes along who's good enough to replace you, whichever comes first. You're going to start earning a steady living, enough to support a family. And then, and only then....you're going to marry Gwen."

He gets right in my face, looking me dead in the eyes.

"And if you so much as look at another female between now and then, or if anything, anything happens to her because of what you do as Spider-Man.....I'm going to personally put a bullet through your skull. Are we clear?"

I gulp as sheer paralyzing terror washes over me, then I manage to nod weakly.

"Good to hear," Captain Stacy says with a smile, then pats me on the back. "Well, I'd better get started on those dishes now. You can go check up on Gwen now if you want. Keep the door open."

He starts putting up everything from the dinner table, and I sit there in stunned silence for a few more seconds, then snap out of it and head upstairs to Gwen's room. She's sitting on her bed, obviously anxious.

"So, how'd it go?" she asks.

"Not as bad as I thought," I say. "He basically said we have to live happily ever after or he's going to shoot me."

Gwen laughs. "That sounds about right from him."

"Yeah....good thing living happily ever after was already the plan, right?"
I say as I flop down onto the bed next to her.

"Right," she says, still giving that "don't be mad" smile. "Ummm....Peter? Now that Dad's talked to you, I want to talk to you myself, about....you know, last night."

"Is something wrong?" I ask. "I mean, I know we got carried away, but--"

"No, Peter, last night was.......perfect,"
she says. "It's just....I don't know, maybe I'm still letting what Eddie did get to me, but.....is that all we're going to do?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"I just......I saw the way people were looking at us at school, and the way Dad reacted when I told him, and...."

"....you think we moved too fast?"

"A little, yeah,"
she admits. "I mean, I don't regret it, and I don't want to say we can't do it again, but....I just don't want our relationship to be only about that."

"I get you," I nod. "I mean, we did kind of go from zero to sixty pretty much instantly. But yeah, I'm cool with us scaling things back a bit. I don't just love you because you're hot--I mean, you are hot, but still."

"Right, and I feel the same way,"
she says, "it's not about just being physically attracted to each other. It's being able to spend time with each other and connect on a deeper level than that."

"Exactly,"
I agree, "I mean, we're not going to turn into one of those vomit-inducing couples that can't be in the same room with each other for more than five minutes without slobbering all over each other."

"Of course not."

"Because we're better than that. We're two mature, intelligent, intellectual people who share a mutual bond of affection and respect for one another, on a level that's more meaningful and satisfying than just swapping spit."

"That's right."

".....................so........"

"................yeah.........."

".......you wanna make out?"

"Thought you'd never ask."

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #30
Mr. Majestic
Side-Kick

As I finish displaying what I can now do one of the scientist hands me a tower. They tried to convince me that the only reason why I been doing all these test is so I’ll know my limits. Truth is I already know my limits they are looking for my weakness and I do not plan on revealing it to them.

I begin whipping the sweat off from my face and the back of my neck while heading to my quarters. As I reach to open the door to get out of the training room Mr. Johnson one of the scientist voice comes over the intercom.

“Calvin Mr. Colcord would like for you to visit him in his office before you return to you room.”

I turn to the observing room and give him a head nod letting him know I got the message. Funny for how long I been back here me and my so called Godfather has yet to talk with each other one on one. He must have liked the show I put on earlier. I can’t wait to find out what he wants to discuss.

Once in front of Malcolm office door I take a moment to get myself together before opening the door. I reach my hand out towards the door knob. While my hand rest on the knob I take in a deep breath and put my game face on as I open the door. I step inside and I see him at his desk with both his hand resting in front of the center of his chest.

“Calvin, come and take a seat.” He says to greet me.

“I’ll rather stand.” I tell him as I walk to the front of his desk.

“Very well. I must say I’m very proud of the person you have become. Last time I seen you, you was just a teenage boy and now look at you. You’ll still a teenager but you carry yourself like a young man now.”

It is obvious he is trying to butter me up but there is no point I know what kind of man he is.

“I know you didn’t have me sent here just so you can praise me.”

“Indeed. Reason I called for you is because Calvin there are some big dangerous things about to come to light. Sides have been made and lines have been drawn. A new age is just on the arisen and if certain actions are not taken a lot of innocent lives will be lost in the crossfire.”

What ever it is to come he won’t come out and just tell me. Either he doesn’t trust me with the information or it is so serious that he thinks it might alarm me to an unfunctional state.

“I’m putting a team together and I want you to be its leader.”

I must admit I didn’t think this would be the reason why he called me here but I can’t say I’m shock that he offered me to be the leader for his new team but there has to be a catch.

“What will objective of this team be?”

“With everything that has happened within the government the world as we know is heading for change if we want it to or not. You have mutants fighting to prove they are the dominate species and believe they should be ruling. The government believes that mutants are resources, waiting to be exploited. And if they can’t control their resources than nothing less than complete extermination of all mutants will be tolerated. Because of this reason I decided to put this team together. Our reasonability will be to protect the humans and mutant who just want to live in peace. But for this to happen I need you to be the team’s powerful leader.”

This can’t be the real reason to why he wants to put a team together. For as long as I’ve known this man he has never shown that he cared for humans or mutants. All he ever cared about is power. But I shouldn’t be so quick to jump the gun. Since I have been back things with him has been different. I have been treated more as a guest than a prisoner. Maybe he has changed the same way I have change as well.

“This team you’re putting together, who is on it?”

He reaches into his top let desk drawer and pulls out a bunch of files and places them in front of me.

“That there are files of a bunch of mutants who is still dedicated to what we are trying to do here. The files have everything you need to know bout them and their powers.”

“How many of them can I pick?” I ask while glimpsing over the files.

“All of them if you like. This is your team to put together and lead.”

“I’ll take these to my room and I’ll get back with you.”

“Before you leave Calvin there is something I need for you to do.”

There is always a catch.

“As you know Native has been on the loose hurting anyone she has came across. We have finally found her location. We would send a team after her but last time we did that it didn’t go in our favor. You know now she is not the same person she used to be. She is wild and can’t be controlled. I have lost count on the bodies she has left since she been gone. A mutant like her is who I’m trying to protect people from.”

“You want me to bring her back?”

“It’s to late for that I’m afraid I believe it is to the point where she needs to be put down sad to say.”

“I see. What is the location?”

He then hands me a piece of paper.

“She is in the mountains in Canada. This could be a good first mission for your team.”

“I haven’t given you an answer yet. But this I’ll handle by myself.” I take the files and paper and make my exit.

He has something planned and till I found out what it is I will play ball but first I must get someone I trust to be apart of this so called team.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Previously

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post

Manhattan Detention Complex
"The Tombs"

The door leading into the small room swung open. Matt Murdock, briefcase in his hand, was led into the room by a guard. The guard led him to the table where Luke Cage was sitting with shackles on his wrist. Murdock sat down and waited while the guard walked out the room.

"How are you holding up?" He asked as soon as the guard shut the door behind him.

"I'm alright," Cage said in a neutral tone. Bruises and small cuts peppered his face.

"Sounds to me like you're lying. You want me to touch your face, find out the damage for myself?"

"Naah," Cage said. "I just got a little banged up, nothing I can't handle."

Murdock shook his head and popped open his briefcase. He dumped the files and papers out of the case before reaching down and tearing open the case's false bottom. He gingerly pulled out a homemade shiv. It was a metal spoon that had been sharpened and honed to a razor thin point. Murdock laid it on the table in front of Cage.
"Here's a little back up. You know, just in case."

"What are you dong?" Cage asked with a puzzled look. "What about the cameras?"

"They're off. Nobody is outside the door listening, and none of this can be recorded. It's illegal to do that, it violates attorney/client confidentiality."

"Right," Cage said, reaching for the shiv. He picked it up and slipped off his shoe, placing the weapon into his shoe for concealment. Cage looked around the room and up at the camera in the corner, making sure that it wasn't recording. "So what's going on outside? How is the group holding up?"

"There is no group anymore, Mister Cage, I disbanded it right after your arrest. They violated the rules."

"You mean the name thing?"

"Yes. You of all people know why I established that rule. We don't know anything about each other, that prevents the police or someone worse from finding us all if one of us is caught."

"That's all well and good in theory...but when you're out there night after night, working together and doing the stuff we were doing....you bond. You can't help it, man. I know what you're saying, I really do, but look at me. I've been in jail for a week, having the police throw all kinds of s*** at me, trying to get me to talk about who I worked with, who all was in the group. I know everybody's name, even yours, but I didn't say a damn word."

"You're different. Shang Chi is different. It's the other two that worry me. North and Brubaker-"

"Were getting it on. Yeah, I know. Remember when you told me to follow them during the day? Found out about it then. Saw them hook up a few times over a two or three day period."

"And they found out about who I am. Brubaker sounded like he was attempting to blackmail me."

"I just got a bad vibe from him when we worked together. You can't see it, but he's got those crazy eyes. Maybe picking him was a bad idea."

"I'm starting to think the whole concept of the Devils was a bad idea."

The two sat in a heavy silence for a few moments before Cage finally spoke. "How about my case? When do we start with that?"

"I'm exercising your right to a speedy trial, so it shouldn't be too much longer before we start. You're due in court the day after tomorrow to enter your plea. Once that happens, we can get into jury selection and then the main trial. All told, maybe a few months."

"Alright," Cage said with a slight sigh. He was hoping it'd be sooner. Truth be told, he wasn't sure how much longer he could last in here.

"I'm also putting in an injunction that you be moved to protective custody. While not exactly a former law enforcement official, your reputed status as a crime fighter puts you at risk in gen pop."

"Thanks. I really appreciate it."

"Think nothing of it. It's the least I can do, seriously. If I could do more, I will."

"Thank you, man."

The guard outside the door rapped his nightstick against the door frame, signaling that Cage's time was at an end. Murdock replaced the false bottom in the case and stuffed his papers back into the briefcase.

"Alright, I'll be back in a few days. My associate will be with me. He's my best friend, but he's not in the know about certain things. So...."

"Say no more."

Murdock stood up and held his right hand out. Cage reached out with his shackled hands and shook Murdock's hand with a firm grip. "We're getting you out of this. I promise."

Harlem

The elderly black man stood on the rooftop, watching the flock of pigeons flutter around from inside their coop. By the man's side was another black man.

"You say we got a problem," Morgan Jones, the crime lord of Harlem, said. "What is it?"

"Another one of our shops got hit last night," the man said. He was dressed in a suit and tie, looking far more professional than the khaki slacks and button-up shirt Morgan was wearing.

"Same folks?" Morgan asked.

"Yeah. Security camera got 'em. White boy and white girl, black clothes and ski-masks on, the man with a shotgun and the girl with a bigass gun."

"Third one this month, right?"

The man nodded and Morgan turned away, looking at the Harlem skyline. "I've been in this business over forty years, Leroy," Morgan started. "I got into the game in 1969, came up working for Frank Lucas, the guy they did that movie about a couple of years back. Pushed dope and coke for him down on 116th street. Mother****er was the king of Harlem. Then Frank gets busted, and he turns into a goddamn rat. He rolled on the people he sold dope to, the cops who were extorting him for protection, and he even sold out his ****ing brothers, nephews, and cousins. Only reason I didn't go to jail was because he didn't know who I was. I thought he was the man when I first started working for him, but then he turned into a straight-up *****. That's when I learned that hard times show what a man is made of. Some buckle, some tighten up. I'm the latter. And I am tired of these ****ers taking my product and money. Let word his the street, $60,000 for both of them dead, $100,000 a piece for both of them alive. I want a chance to kill these mother****ers myself."

Morgan turned and looked at Leroy. "We show one sign of weakness, and that's the end for us. We end up like Frank Lucas and Nicky Barnes, we become broke ass *****es with no money or respect."

He turned around and glanced back out at the skyline. "If you ain't got either, then what's the point of life?"

Arraignment Hearing
Manhattan Criminal Courthouse
Part 21

Luke Cage's prison jumpsuit had been swapped out for a navy blue suit, a white dress shirt, and an equally navy blue tie. He sat at the defendant table in the courtroom, Foggy Nelson in a brown suit and brown bowtie to his left and Matt Murdock, in his usual court attire of a black suit with a dark crimson tie, sat at Cage's right.

At their immediate right, and representing the city and state of New York, was Chief Assistant District Attorney Blake Tower. An attractive blonde man in his early-40's, Tower was the head of the DA's Violent Crimes Bureau and testing the waters to make a run for the big chair. Tower was dressed in a gray three-piece suit with a striped red and blue tie.

Two sheriff deputies stood by the door leading into the empty courtroom. A crowd had formed outside the chamber door, curious citizens and members of the press all waiting for the closed session of court to adjourn.

"All rise," the deputy beside the entrance on the left announced as the lawyers and defendant stood. An elderly woman in robes appeared out of entrance and climbed up to the bench. "Now presiding, the Honorable Eliane Bennett."

"Be seated," she announced as soon as she took her seat. "Alright," she said as soon as she placed a pair of reading glasses on her face. "Docket number 9847, People of the State of New York vs. Lucas Cage. Defense, how do you plead?"

"Defendant pleads not guilty," Foggy said, rising from his seat.

"Very well. Preliminary hearings will begin next week, and jury selection will begin the week after that. Given the serious nature of the crimes the accused is facing, bail is denied and I'm ordering that the defendant be removed from the custody of the Manhattan Detention Complex and transferred to Ryker's Island while he awaits trial."

"Your Honor,"
Murdock said as he stood. "Defense would like to move that Mister Cage be placed in the protective custody wing of Ryker's. The charges levied at him puts him at risk with the inmates in the general population. Much as a former law enforcement officer would be."

"Counselor?" the judge asked with a nod towards Tower.

"People have no objections," Tower replied.

"Very well," Judge Bennett said. "Send the paperwork to my office and I'll be sure it gets to Ryker's before the defendant. Is that all, gentlemen?"

The defense and prosecution shook their heads and the judge banged her gavel. "Adjourned. I'll see you all at the prelims."

A deputy walked from the courtroom door and approached Cage with a pair of handcuffs out.

"Hold on," Foggy said with a scowl on his face. "Our client isn't a flight risk. The cuffs aren't needed."

"Sorry, sir," the deputy said. "Got my orders."

"It's cool," Cage said, his arms out for the sheriff deputy. The deputy snapped the cuffs on Cage's wrist and began to escort him out the courtroom with Foggy at his side. Matt stayed behind, collecting papers and placing them in his briefcase.

"Best of luck," Tower said as he came over to Murdock.

"But not too much luck, right, Blake?" Matt said with a soft smile. Murdock held his hand out and shook the hand of the ADA.

"Well, rumors are swirling that my boss might be bucking for the mayor's chair. He jumps, I can move up. I got a few high profile cases under my belt, but one more won't hurt come election time."

"Ah, the life of a politician."

"You don't know what you're missing, buddy."

"Well, what can you do? Road not taken, and all that."

The two men walked out the courtroom, Matt's red and white cane swinging just ahead of the two men as they walked out the doors and into the courthouse hallways. "You wouldn't happen to see my partner, would you?"

"He's down the hallway, chatting it up with all the press and cameras. I need to get down there and look pretty for the five o'clock news."

"Where's my client?"

"Sheriff's are taking him down the other end of the hallway. Holding cells and prison transport."

"Alright. I'll let Foggy take care of the press, I'd prefer to spend my time with more upstanding citizens like Mister Cage."

The two men departed and Matt walked down the hallway and down the stairs towards the holding cells. He tapped his cane on the desk where another deputy leaned against it, reading the paper. "Help you, buddy?"

"Matt Murdock, I want to speak to my client right quick. Luke Cage."

"Big black guy? Sure...umm...you need some help getting there?"

"Just tell me where he's at."

"Third cell on the right."

Murdock nodded and walked down to the cell where Cage was sitting on the cot, leaning back against the wall in his wrinkled suit.

"Your buddy seems like he's alright."

"Foggy is a good man. He's a smart man, too. That's why he can't know about what we really are. I want him protected."

"If I was gonna snitch, I would have snitched when they picked me up. My mouth is shut."

"Good. I think we can win this. Foggy's optimistic, and that's always a good sign. For now, though, I need you to help me out with something. Remember that list we complied?"

"Yeah. Stuff from social services and the courthouse."

"Right. I know the police ransacked your place when you were arrested, and it didn't show up on any evidence they had on you. Where is it?"

Got it in a safe place. Second back alley off 110th Street. False brick halfway through the alley on the right side. It's just like you asked. Two copies."

"I'll go up there and get it. Foggy and I will send the paperwork for the request to put you in protective custody. You'll spend tonight back at the Tombs, but you'll be on the first ferry to Ryker's in the morning. By then, the paperwork would have gone through and you'll be in protective custody."

"Alright. Thank you, man."

"Don't thank me yet. You can thank me when we win."

110th Street

Matt walked down the sidewalk towards the back alley Cage had mentioned. He stopped short of the alley mouth as a Chevy Nova rocketed down the alley with a police siren blaring and its lights flashing. He waited for the action to pass before walking down the alley. Using his cane, he poked on the bricks on the wall's right side before stopping at the sound of a loose brick. Reaching up, he pulled out a brick and reached into the empty space behind it. He pulled out papers wrapped in plastic wrap. One packaged was in braille, the other was in print. Matt opened up the wrap and felt for the braille one. He ran his fingers over the type before putting the print one back in the hole and closing it up with the brick.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #32
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Papers are strewn across my desk as I rub my temples. The rebuilding of my country has put a great strain on me, but even that isn't what's in the forefront of my mind. Now that the civil war is over, and M'Baku's troops are being rounded up by my army, my drifts to more exciting thoughts than bureaucracy and parliamentary proceedings.

I think of the meetings I had many months ago with Nick Fury. The man was a secret warrior who cared about nothing more than keeping his people safe through any means necessary. And in the meetings, he had asked me to join a team, a team that would protect the entire world from danger. A team that would be made up of the greatest champions the world has ever seen.

As I sit, lost in my thoughts, my pet panther, , slinks in the room and lies silently on the floor next to me. I stroke his head and ask, "What do you think, my friend? Shall we take a trip to America? Take a trip to where all the action is?"

"America?" my chief assistant chimes in from the other room. "Sire, you cannot go to America at a time like this!? What will our people do?"

"Management and bureaucracy is not in my blood," I respond annoyed. "Besides, those roles are already filled by my advisers. And I am needed elsewhere. I gave my word to a friend."

"Your word, who cares about your word! Your people need you!"

Who does he think he is, speaking to me like this? I am the crowned king of Wakanda! I am the Black Panther! I can do as I please, he is merely an assistant! A man hired to do my bidding!

"My people will be in capable hands," I snarl at him. "And you would do well to remember your place."

"Yes, sire. I will make the arrangements."

I smile as I turn to a window and look over my country, which is finally at peace. Now I will leave her for a while, and take up my place with the greatest legends the world has ever seen. I will make my ancestors proud, and all will know that the Black Panther is the greatest warrior on planet Earth.

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #33
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Shadowcat

I smile as the children in front of me scurry around the basketball court in front of me. The game isn't very pretty when they're seven. In fact, it barely even resembles basketball, but I wouldn't want to be doing anything else right now.

Since we've split off from the government, I've volunteered to be a mentor for the smaller children since Scott and the other higher ranking officers are busy trying to set up the funds and means to start an actual school, they happily agreed to give me the job.

One of the students goes to take a shot, and another stretches his arm to four feet longer than it should be and blocks the shot. I give him a joke stink eye, "Buddy, what did I tell you?"

"Sorry Miss Kitty," he says with a sad look on his face. "I didn't mean ta."

"I know," I smile and get down on one knee. "But remember what we've been talking about? You need to try and control yourself better, okay?"

"Yes ma'am," he nods as Peter Rasputin, also known as Colossus approaches.

"Okay everyone, head inside and get washed up and have some rest time," I tell the kids before turning back to Pete. "What's up, Pete?"

"Nothing," he shrugs. "But we've been messing around with the Danger Room, and I think we've got a set-up to test your new...accessories."

I punch Pete in the shoulder, "No way! You finished them!?"

He laughs, "You betcha, let's go try them out."

Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #34
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Doomstadt, Latveria

The choppers land on the helipad over looking the capital of Latveria. The two ambassadors accompany off the field towards waiting cars.

"I'm not digging it so far, Reed. This feels way too fishy."

"It'll work out. We have NATO backing us and apparently the Avengers. Victor will see that and back down."

"Fat chance of that happening. I know he's your friend, hon, but I don't think he's sane."

"An insufferable jerk with delusions of grandeur? Yes. But Victor is still a completely sane, rational human be-"

"What the hell is that?!"

"Hello, Richards. Welcome to Latveria."

Victor, or whatever that is, is standing by a black limo with the Foreign Minister, Vernard, by his side.

"Victor?"

"You can call me Chancellor Von Doom."

"Dude, what are you....wearing?"

"My birthright. The armor of Latveria's greatest king, a direct ancestor of mine. With this armor, I bridge the gap between Latveria's great past and its bright future"

"Reed, you were saying something about this guy being sane?"

"Your talking pile of rocks needs to learn its place, Richards.""You son of a *****," Ben growls and steps forward. I stretch my arm out in front of him to halt him.

"Calm down, Ben. We're here to negotiate, not escalate things."

"No, your friends have done that," Vernard says from behind Victor. "The Avengers and their actions against Latverian forces shows that NATO has no real desire for peace."

"The Avengers and their actions are not condoned or approved by NATO or the UN," Ambassador Clayborn chimes in.

"Captain America is not acting as a member of the United States? Please. But, that can all be worked out. We have wasted enough time here. My drivers will take us to Castle Doom. From there, official negotiations can begin. I've arranged for a truck to transport your Thing. If you'll follow Valerie and I."

Victor climbs into the back of the limo with Vernard and we all follow suit while Ben walks back towards a waiting semi.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #35
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

"Here's to happy reunions," Alex says as we clink beer bottles together and gulp down a drink.

"Cheers," I say before taking a swig of my beer.

The bar is a small, good-old-boy establishment some ten miles down the road from Westchester. Colonel Haller's men used to frequent the place before we went civilian, getting drunk and making a mess, apparently getting into pretty loud shouting matches over who they hated more--Haller or us. There's a pair of dart boards in the far corner, one with a picture of Haller's face over it.....and another with a picture of Professor Xavier.

Mutants aren't exactly welcome here. So we picked the bar intentionally. I wanted to prove that we wouldn't be intimidated by anti-mutant hostility....I think Alex just wanted to go looking for trouble.

Mostly, though, it's because this is the closest place we could get drinks for cheap. And all things considered, we're probably both going to need a lot of them.

"Two decades," Alex says, taking another drink. "More than that, actually, since the explosion. Since we lost Mom and Dad. And this is the first time since then that we've said more than five words to each other."

"A lot can happen in that much time,"
I say. "I don't even know where to start."

"Well, here's a start,"
Alex turns to me. "Why didn't you ever come look for me?"

"We did,"
I say, defensively. "After the explosion, after Xavier took me in, we did try to find you. But we couldn't find anything.....we thought you were dead."

"I don't mean then,"
he waves it away. "I mean after, when you found out I was alive......when you found out I was Brotherhood."

There's a long moment of silence as I choose my words carefully.

"Like I said....a lot can happen in that amount of time. By the time I found out about you, Colonel Haller had trained me into a soldier. I was a fighting man first and everything else second. He taught us to put personal attachments aside for the mission. After those lessons had been pounded into my head for that long, I couldn't see you as my brother.....just as another Brotherhood mutant. Just as the enemy."

"Hm,"
he grunts bitterly, before chugging down the last of his beer and ordering another one.

"So why didn't you ever try to get in touch with me?"

Alex chuckles mirthlessly.

"The exact same reason, actually. Guess that's one thing we've got in common--we both had really bad teachers."

"Well, at least we're rid of them," I say. "Haller's been sent packing, and the last intel we've picked up says that Magneto's fled the country."

I don't tell him that my 'intel' comes from speaking to the dispossessed consciousness of Professor Xavier, still connected to the physical world via the Cerebro machine. I haven't told anyone, not even Jean, that Cerebro is still active, let alone that I've been using it to commune with my long-dead mentor. I really don't know how to even approach the subject without sounding insane.

"To hell with them both," Alex says, a bitter edge in his voice. "Reading the Professor's lost notes was the best thing that ever happened to me--shook me out of all that brainwashing. I guess that's what happened to you guys too?"

"More or less, but I had a little extra help,"
I say. "I'd already gotten in trouble with Haller about making.....personal attachments. Jean was what first got me questioning what the old X-Men were doing. She really changed me."

"Women will do that to you,"
he says, gulping down another mouthful of beer. "You can't not change when you're with one. If you're really lucky, the change is for the better. I wasn't really lucky."

"What happened?"

"Eh, it's a long story,"
he waves it off. "Besides, I don't even want to think about Madelyne right now, let alone--"

"Hang on. Bartender, excuse me--could you turn up the TV?"

The bartender looks at me nervously, no doubt expecting a pair of 'dangerous, violent' mutants like us to blow him to pieces if he doesn't comply, and turns up the volume on the breaking news bulleting.

"--and thousands of refugees attempting to flee the small island nation as the Genoshan government collapses,"
the news anchor narrates as footage plays of civilians running in terror, metal debris flying into the air.....around the Master of Magnetism.

"The Genoshan military is in absolute shambles from the initial attacks at the hands of the Brotherhood, who have stated that they are there to stay, its goal to establish an all-mutant state. Their founder, the infamous international terrorist Magneto, issued this statement earlier today:"

"For far too long, the mutant has been vilified and victimized at the hands of the human. We have been made the target of fear and hatred, the subject of cruelty and oppression. No place in the world exemplifies this more than Genosha, and no place in the world is a more fitting place to begin a new era. Here, we shall rise, resolute in our defiance over those who would have us eradicated. Here, the mutant shall take his rightful place, superior over the ignorant apes that shun him. Genosha will be remade, forged into a paradise for our kind......and this is only the beginning."

"....this comes after the US Military's own mutant special forces team, the X-Men, shocked the world by going rogue and taking over their own facilities just weeks ago. General Henry Gyrich has stated that the military is prepared to deal with these mutant threats,
without the help of the X-Men. More on the story as it develops."

We stare in silence at the footage of the attacks in Genosha, before Alex speaks up.

".....I'm gonna need another drink."

"Me too."

Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #36
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Shadowcat

An explosion rips through the air and sends Bobby flying towards me. I become intangible and he passes straight through me, leaving me unharmed. I turn back towards the source of the blast to find the mutant hunted walking meticulously through the resulting flames. The seven-foot tall robotic attacker raises its arm to fire another missile our way when it's run into by a metal covered Colossus.

This Danger Room exercise was cooked up by Cyclops and Pete as a way to train for an inevitable showdown. We figure the army will eventually come after us, and will most likely have some crazy technology to back them up. But this session isn't so much for preparedness as much as trying out my new offensive weapons.

I'm not the strongest person on the team, nor am I the best fighter, so I tasked Bobby and Pete with coming up with a way for me to be more effective in a fight, and boy did they find a way. I'm now wearing a pair of gloves that produce two retractable claws that appear with the flick of my wrist. Sure, they won't help against Magneto, but they'll help me defend myself.

With the robot distracted by the hulking Pete, I run quickly towards it. I make myself intangible and run through the wreckage it's created, and finally reach it as it trades blows with Colossus. I extend my claws and drive them into the base of its neck, which is its programmed weak point. The robot spasms and collapses, and I smile at my teammates, "Well, I think they work pretty well."

"Damn straight," Pete smiles back.

Our eyes lock for a little too long and Bobby puts his arm around me, "Let's go get some dinner, huh?"

Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #37
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Doomstadt, Latveria

A guide leads us through the castle Victor now calls home. With its ornate decorations and gilded statues, it still seems like the king still lives here. At the base of a staircase is a ten foot tall, white-gold statue of Victor in all his glory.

"Looks like this guy is overcompensating for something."

"Safe to say he has a little d-"

"Doctor Richards."

We look up at the top of the stairs where our guide is waiting for us. The four of us quickly climb the steps to catch up with him.

"Excuse me, do you know where the ambassadors are?"

"They are with the Chancellor," the guide replies. "They're in the conference room waiting for you."

We follow the guide down the corridor towards the conference room. Soldiers flank the hallway walls, giving me and the others an uneasy feeling as we walk into the conference room. Victor is at the end of a long table with the two ambassadors, shackles on their arms.

"Richards, it is my duty to inform you and your friends that you are under arrest for espionage and crimes against the nation of Latveria. Your thinly veiled peace assignment is over. Even as we speak, my forces are mobilizing across the front lines into Hungary. We will have Budapest by nightfall...but you will not live to see it."

He barks an order out in his native tongue and the soldiers in the hallway flood into the room, assault rifles loaded and pointed at the four of us.

"You move, you die. Please, give my men a reason."

My eye catches Sue's and she slowly nods her head. The air around the soldiers flickers for just a millisecond, too quick to notice.

"Now!"

I lunge forward with my arms, stretching across the long table towards Victor. The soliders open fire and their bullets bounce off Sue's invisible shield. The soliders run away from the ricochet rounds and scatter. My hands are almost to Victor's neck when I slam into an unseen barrier. I retract my hands and wince at the pain.

"I learned my lesson last time, Richards. Dealing with you and your freaks, I brought troops, tanks, and helicopters. In truth, I was bringing a knife to a gun fight. This time I plan to even the playing field."

The air next to Victor shifts and a man appears by his side.

"This man, like your lovely bride, can manipulate molecules to become invisible, create kinetic barriers, and so much more. He goes by the amusing handle of Molecule Man. Allow me to introduce you to his friends."

The man waves his arms and three other people appear at his side.

"Constrictor."

"Blizzard."

"And Titania. Your so called Fantastic Four against my....Frightful Four...let's see who has better freaks!"

Blizzard shoots a blast of ice towards us. Johnny jumps forward and shoos a blast of flame from his palms.

"Johnny don't!"

The ice meets the fire in the center of the room and mixes, doing what always happens in chemistry when incredible amounts of heat mix with incredible amounts of ice.

BOOM!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #38
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

"Dude, Pete! Long time no see, huh?" Harry says as I step out of the elevator and into the penthouse living room for the first time in what feels like weeks.

"Yeah, I, um....I spent the weekend over at Gwen's house," I say sheepishly. Which is true--I just neglect to mention the fact that I spent most of that weekend in a coma with at least a dozen broken bones.

"Yeah, word around the nerd circles is that you two finally did the deed."

"Heh, I heard that rumor too. I swear, the geek rumor-mill is even worse than the preps and jocks."

".....well?"

"Well what?"

"Any truth to the rumors?"

"Well, I'm not saying yes, and I'm not saying no.....but confidentially? I'm especially not saying no."

"Well hey, mazel tov!"
Harry says and gives me a congratulatory slap on the back. "I always knew you had it in ya! So, our dear Miss Stacy made a man out of you, eh? How's it feel?"

"Honestly? Not all that different,"
I admit. "I mean, cheesy as it sounds, I've always kind of been in love with her, so now the biggest difference is that we actually get to act on it. So yeah, it kinda makes things a lot easier now."

"For now, yeah,"
Harry says, "but I'm gonna tell you right now, girlfriends always have a way of making things more complicated than they need to be. Oh, and speaking of making things complicated, Eddie's out to kill you. Again."

"Ugh,"
I grunt. Eddie made Gwen miserable the entire time they were together, and the main reason he wanted her in the first place was to spite me. "Y'know, if he wants to start something, I say let him. I'm getting tired of him pushing me around and trying to intimidate me, and he's not getting between me and Gwen."

Harry looks at me with amused surprise.

"Wow, you're actually growing a backbone too? Guess you really are becoming a real man now, huh?"

"What's that?"
I hear Norman say as he comes down the stairs. "Peter! There you are; I was wondering when you'd get back. Captain Stacy told me you were over at their house for the weekend."

"....yeah,"
I say, then remember that Gwen said they'd tried to contact Norman and Harry a few times, but never got an answer. That's.....odd....

"Well, congratulations," he says warmly, "You've passed an important milestone on the path to manhood. And while I'm thinking about it, I may be able to offer you some help on another milestone."

"Excuse me?"

"Your career, Peter,"
Norman says. "I know you've still got a year left in school, but it's never too early to get started on your career. Finding your great passion in life and making a living pursuing it. Never waste an opportunity in the present to make plans for your future."

"....well, I mean....I've already got a job...."

"And that's good, it shows initiative on your part,"
he says, glancing over at Harry with a "why can't you be more like him?" look. "But I'm talking about something that has real opportunities, a chance to really shape your future. That Science Fair you participated in a few months ago? Where the prize was an internship at Doctor Connors' lab at ESU?"

"Yeah, I remember,"
I say, partly proud that I managed to place fifth in the competition, but disappointed that I didn't get the internship.

"Well, it just so happens that I've had two part-time lab assistant positions become available at Oscorp," he says with a grin. "And I happen to think you'd be just the person to fill one of those positions. If she'd like, Miss Stacy can take the other spot."

"Mister Osborn, that's....that's awesome!" I stammer. "I'm gonna call her and tell her about it right now!"

I practically fly up the stairs to my bedroom, electric with excitement over the news.

I was worried that my life was going to get more complicated.

So far, it's only getting better and better.

"Gentlemen," the pudgy, middle-aged man said as he surveyed the handful of monsters that cramped into his darkened, stinking chamber in the sewers beneath Manhattan, "I've brought you all here today because we are going to take part in something incredible. Something that may very well change the world forever, for the betterment of all mankind."

Max Dillon snorted contemptuously, electricity crackling up and down his body as he shifted in his seat.

"The betterment of mankind," he said. "In case you didn't read my file, Doc, I'm not exactly interested in the betterment of all mankind."

"Quite true, Electro, but why is that?" the doctor asked. "Because they ignored you, they mocked you, they refused to acknowledge your incredible gifts. But after this? The world will have no choice but to recognize your greatness."

"Somehow I doubt the Nobel Prize committee will give an award to an act of mass-murder,"
Adrian Toomes said as he looked over the doctor's schematics. "If I'm reading this correctly, that is what will happen."

"An unfortunate side-effect, yes," he admitted, "but the fruits of our labors will be worth every life that will regrettably have to be sacrificed."

"I don't know about this...." said Flint Marko, his shape constantly changing, sprouting new legs and arms as current ones sank back into his torso, his face rotating through a catalog of dozens of people. "...am I the kind of person who can do this? I....I don't know.....I don't know what kind of person I am."

"Then this will surely carve out an identity for yourself. You're the kind of person who wants to help change the future of the human race."

"I fail to see how this offer of yours is supposed to appeal to me,"
Sergei Kravenov said, his arms crossed, waiting to be convinced.

"DON'T CARE...." Alex O'Hirn growled, gritting his teeth through the pain of being surgically grafted into the indestructible Rhino suit. "JUST...LET ME....SQUASH....BUG...."

The pudgy man grinned.

"I believe you have your answer there, Kraven," he said. "Individually, none of us can make much of a difference in the world, but together, we can change the game itself. We can utterly destroy anyone who stands in the way of the future....particularly the one you all want to see destroyed the most. Trust me, your Master Planner, and every one of you will get what you want. Money. Fame. Power. And most importantly....the death of Spider-Man."

Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #39
Harlekin
Business

East 51st Street. 17th Precinct. Interview room.

“Randy, Randy, Randy.”

Sergeant Tork entered the room, shaking his head. The detective flipped the chair opposite to ‘The Candy Man’ and took a seat. The drug dealer was dressed in the white sweatpants and wifebeater that was haute couture in the NY narcotics business. A fat gold chain hung around his neck, another around his left wrist. He had greasy hair and a thin moustache.
Tork was followed by Daz, who threw a few bags of pills onto the table and placed a small, bagged Smith & Wesson revolver besides it. Taking the other chair, he sat to the right of Randy.
“You packin’ heat now, Randy?” Tork asked as he took the gun and weighed it in his hands. “Not exactly Dirty Harry, are you?”
Randy didn’t respond, fidgeting with the handcuffs that held him chained to the table.
“Look like we’re gonna have to wait for his lawyer, sarge,” Daz grinned.
Tork checked his watch: 4.30 PM. “At this hour? Man, I hope your boy works in Midtown, Randy. Ain’t no way he’s gonna make it here before dinner otherwise.” He leaned over the table. “And I gotta tell ya, Randy, the food here ain’t exactly top dollar.”
“I ate a big lunch,” the criminal replied, easing back into his seat.
“I bet you did,” Tork chuckled. “Probably got your own private chef with the money you makin’.” He now took the bag of pills in his hands. “Tell me, Randy, how much you selling that MGH for?”
Randy laughed. “You gotta be kiddin’ me, Tork. This is how you interrogate people these days?” He locked eyes with the sergeant. “Puh-lease. I want my lawyer.”
“All right, all right, I’m sorry,” Tork replied, raising his hands in defence. “Let me rephrase the question.”
Tork reached forward, grabbing the Candy Man’s chain and pulling it forcefully to the table. Jean DeWolff and Vincent Gonzales looked on from the observation room as Randy’s face hit the table top. While Tork and Daz started a new line of questioning, Gonzales turned to his new partner.
“You want some coffee? I know where this is going.”
DeWolff glanced at him.
“What? I’ve seen Law & Order before,” Gonzales said, leaving the room.

The dealer, meanwhile, was sitting back up.
“Let’s try this again, Randy,” Tork said and he pointed to the drugs on the table. “We’re not interested in the dope and the coke, not this time around. But we know that’s not all your selling.”
“MGH,” Daz gruffly added.
“Hell, for now, we don’t even want to know who you’re selling it for, just who you’re selling it to.”
The Candy Man looked from Tork to Daz and back again.
“What do you care?” he scoffed. “Half of them don’t even get to do anything cool like Spider-Man. All they do is puke blue for a while, maybe be bullet proof for a day.”
He laughed. “Sure is a &^%$# when that wears off.”
Tork smiled as well, sitting back in his seat and folding his hands across his stomach.
“Any of them get superstrength?”
Daz placed a few stills from the bank’s security camera on the table.
“It gets them jumping, huh?” Tork said, pointing to the masked man jumping across the room.
The Candy Man took the photos in hand and chuckled. “Man, that is something.”
He flicked the stills back across the table to Tork. “But why the *&^% are you bothering me with this?”

In the observation room, Jean DeWolff checked her watch. “They should be done by now,” she mumbled to herself and she fished her cell phone out of her blazer.
“Hey, Bob, what have you got for me?”

“Big men wearing ski masks aren’t your regular customers, are they Randy?”
The dealer shook his head and turned to Daz. “Can you check if my lawyer is here yet?”
The police officer gritted his teeth and would’ve charged forward if Tork didn’t beckon him. He was standing by the door.
“C’mon Daz, let’s give Randy a little time to come to his senses, huh?” Tork reached forward to pick up the pills. “We’ll start our inventory.”
He threw the bag to Daz as they started to leave. “What do you think?”
“Ten, minimum,” Daz replied.
“Don’t forget about the gun.”
“Fifteen to twenty.”
The Candy Man scoffed as the door closed.

DeWolff snapped her phone shut just as Tork and Daz came into the observation booth. “Fingerprints are a bust, not enough for a match.”
“Damn it. Where’s the gup?” Tork asked.
DeWolff was about the respond when Gonzales came in with four cups of coffee. “Right here. Good cop/bad cop get you anywhere?”
Tork took the cup without answering.
“Yeah, didn’t think so. Rich boys aren’t scared of prison.”
Tork frowned. “How would you know?”
Gonzales shrugged. “Harbour patrol isn’t just about smuggling. Lots of rich folk seem to think the Hudson comes pretty close to international waters.”
“His parents cut him off, didn’t they?” DeWolff asked. She was looking at the dealer through the one-way window. “That’s what you said,” she added as she looked to Tork.
“You can take the kid out of uptown,” Gonzales replied, “but you can’t take the uptown out of the kid.”
He looked through the window. “You need to get something real on this guy, or he’s never going to talk. Possession with intent to sell? Unlicensed weapon? His lawyer’s probably already lining someone up to take the fall for him.”
“Well, what do you know, you’re actually starting to impress me, kid,” Tork said as he drained his coffee cup. “You and DeWolff work that angle, me and Daz will keep wearing him down.”
The four nodded, leaving the observation room for their respective destinations.

“You check his sheet,” DeWolff said to Gonzales as they walked back to the squad’s office. “I’m going to make a few calls.”
Her partner rolled his eyes as he watched her walk away. The officer sighed as he took his seat behind a computer, idly typing in the necessary information. It took him only a few seconds to look through the Candy Man’s sheet, but his file was a lot thicker. He’d been charged more than a few times and had gotten off scot-free in nearly all of the cases.

“That the guy in one?” came a voice from behind him. Gonzales turned to see Captain Andy McLean looking over his shoulder.
“Sir.”

Meanwhile, Sergeant Tork was getting exasperated in the interview room. He rubbed his face, took a deep breath and locked eyes with Randy again.
“I gotta say, Randy, you’re holding up a lot better than you used too.” He looked to Daz. “You remember when he used to cry like a little &^^%$ every time we brought him in here?”
Daz laughed, sitting forward, his big hands nearly closing the gap between him and Randy.
Tork took the bagged Smith & Wesson in his hand. “But I guess you toughened up some, huh? Feeling like quite a man now that all the big boys have been looked up. You feeling big yet, Randy?”
“What do you want from me, Tork?”
“I want to know who you’ve been selling to.”
Randy laughed again.
“Oh, I know you sell to a lot of people. MGH is pretty big under the young hoppers. But that’s kid’s stuff. Like you said, it might make somebody’s *&^% green for a bit. But this?” Tork placed another camera still in front of the dealer. “Look at that, he actually left literal finger prints in the vault door. Just from grabbing it. That’s some pure grade MGH. You can’t tell me you’re selling to every junkie with a dime to spare.”
“What time is it, Tork?”
Tork chuckled, checking his watch. “Almost 5.30.”
“Then my lawyer should be here any minute, he can answer all your questions.” Randy leaned forward. “He does live in midtown.”

The Candy Man was right. His lawyer, the venerable Paul Delacourt, had just made his way past the reception desk of the 17th precinct and was on his way to the interview room. Just as he stepped into the hallway, Gonzales stepped out of the squad’s office and DeWolff came down the stairs. Both looked at the corpulent black man coming towards them and exchanged glances. Gonzales’ eyes fell on the folders in DeWolff’s hands.

“Stall him,” she said as she marched away, walking straight through into the interview room. The three men already inside looked up immediately, startled by her sudden entrance. She threw the folders out onto the table, covering the camera stills and even the drugs and the gun.
“Randy, this is Detective DeWolff,” Tork said. “I believe you met at gunpoint.”
“My pleasure, really,” the dealer said, leering. “I’d almost want to become police just for a chance to--”
He stopped when he felt Daz’s hands on his shoulder.
That’s the kind of touch you’ll have to get used to,” DeWolff said as she opened the folder on top of the stack, “when they get you in Ryker’s.”
Randy laughed until his eyes fell on the pieces of paper. “What the *&^% is this?”
“That’s the first page in a criminal conspiracy investigation, Randy.”
He looked up at her incredulously, as did Tork.
“All that money had to go somewhere,” she added.
Tork smiled. “DA’s love that stuff, Randy,” he said as he took look at the file himself. “They don’t give a *&^% about a two-bit drug dealer, but money laundering? Man, you could even get the feds on your ass.”
“And they keep files,” Daz added, putting his flat hand next to Randy’s head, “up to here.”
Randy looked from Daz, to Tork, to the DeWolff and back to Tork again. “Okay, okay, look. I’ll give you the name of this one guy, but I want to cut a deal.”
“Deal will cost you a lot more than just one name, sport,” Tork said.
Randy looked to the DeWolff now. “Give us the name first. Afterwards, we’ll talk,” she said.
The dealer shifted in his seat, weighing his options, while DeWolff impatiently tapped her feet. She could hear Gonzales standing just outside the door, talking to Delacourt.
“Okay, okay, I don’t know a lot about him,” Randy finally said after what felt like an eternity. “But he used to be this boxer. Australian. Oliver something.”
DeWolff breathed a sigh of relief, just as Delacourt barged into the interview room. He locked eyes with his client immediately, literally spitting out the sentence: “Not another word.”
“Fine by me,” Tork said, getting up. “You talk with your client for a bit. We’ve got business.”

DeWolff scooped up the folders and the three officers walked out of the room, leaving behind a confused lawyer and a dizzy dealer.
“Good work,” Tork said in DeWolff’s direction as the whole team gathered in the observation room.
“Oh, this?” DeWolff opened the other folders for her partners to see. They were filled with papers on police seminars, performance reviews and lots of coloured graphs. “Just a part of the NYPD’s annual review. Top folder was legit though. Our Candy Man isn’t running things just for himself. That drug money is going somewhere else too.”
“Well, we’ll worry about that when we get back from busting our would be bank robber. Daz, you get the car. DeWolff, think you can find a last known address for this Oliver?” She nodded. “Good, meet at the car in ten.”
As the squad filed out of the observation room, Tork turned to Gonzales. “Oh, and gup, you get the coffee.”
Before Gonzales could respond, Tork had already turned the corner. The young officer gritted his teeth, then took his cell phone from his jacket.

“Hello, sir? We leave in ten minutes.”

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #40
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Broadway.
En route.

Daz navigated the Nova around a slow moving SUV and picked sped up to keep pace with the steady flowing traffic. The thick crowds of Manhattan were beginning to disperse as the car headed farther north towards The Bronx. Golden Earring's "Radar Love" was playing on the radio.

DeWolff reached out and handed Tork a file from the backseat. "Frank Oliver."

Tork flipped open the file and saw the mugshot of a blonde-haired man. His ruddy face was thick and meaty. Tork scanned through the file, muttering under his breath. "Born in Australia, and with a long list of assault and agg. assault. How come immigration hasn't bounced his ass back down under?"

"He's got duel citizenship," DeWolff said. "American mom, Aussie father. His INS file says he and his mom came back to America twelve years ago when Oliver was fifteen."

The Nova crossed the Broadway Bridge into The Bronx. Five minutes later, Daz parked outside the small, rundown house sitting off the street. "This is the home of his momma," Tork said. "Been listed as his address since they moved to America."

The four cops climbed out the car. Tork looked around and scanned the neighborhood. "Daz, take the sailor boy and canvass the neighbors. The mom may not give us anything, but if they've lived here for twelve years then the neighbors might have some dirt."

Daz and Gonzales walked off down the sidewalk while Tork and DeWolff climbed the steps up to the house. "You think anything will come of this?" She asked. Tork shrugged and knocked on the door. "I don't think he's here, but if he's out there doing something, his mother's going to know."

The door opened, revealing a middle aged woman in a maid's uniform. Tork reached into his shirt and pulled out the badge hanging on his neck. "Afternoon, ma'am. Janice Oliver? Sergeant Tork, NYPD, this is Detective DeWolff. We're looking for Frank."

"He's not here," the woman said in a slight accent, her years abroad coming out in her speech. "Haven't seen him in weeks."

"Do you mind if we come in?" He asked with a nod towards the house's inside.

"Depends," she said with a sigh. "What'd he do this time?"

Down the street, Daz stood off the porch and waited while Gonzales knocked on the door. "Don't think anybody's home," Daz said after a minute had passed without anyone answering the door.

Gonzales turned away from the door and followed Daz down to the street. "You know, this isn't what I signed up for."

"Oh, yeah?" Daz asked with a raised eyebrow. "What did you sign up for?"

"To kick some ass. That's what I was told this unit did."

"Stick around, Gup, and you'll get your chance."

"Another thing," Gonzales said as they crossed the street to another house. "I'm getting real tired of all this crap. The dumb nicknames and doing grunt work like grabbing coffee."

"It's your turn, man. Happens to everybody. Everyone has to hold the piss bucket. When I first signed on with Tork back in Narco, he called me Dizzy for two whole months. I had to give him a quarter every time he felt like asking for one. And the bagels? Dude, don't get me started on those bagels."

"But why me? I'm not the only rookie."

"Yeah, but DeWolff has Captain Stacy's blessing. We don't technically work for him, but he's one of the few that actually supported this unit and getting it created. He's good police. The man is gonna be the commissioner within ten years. If DeWolff has him as her rabbi, that means she's a good cop. A good cop that's going to make rank. Give it a few years, she'll be sporting captain bars if she wants to."

"So I'm just low man on the totem pole. When did that end for you?"

Daz stopped and turned to look at Gonzales with a crooked grin. "About the time you showed up."

At the Oliver house, Tork and DeWolff followed Janice Oliver through the house. While the outside was old and dilapidated, the inside was clean and spotless.

Tork stopped when he saw a picture hung on the wall. It was two men standing in a fighting stance, both wearing boxing gloves and trunks. To the left was Frank Oliver, "Challenger Frank 'Kangaroo Kid' Oliver" was written under his picture. He was set to square off with Gold Gloves champion Sylvio "The Snake" Sabattini. The date at the bottom of the poster announced the fight taking place at Bernie's Gym in Manhattan on August 22nd, 2002.

"Robbery?" Janice asked as she sat down on the sofa in the living room. "Like to say something like that isn't in my boy, but I know it is. I denied it for all these years, but he's just like his father."

"Where is his father?" DeWolff asked, sitting down on the sofa next to her.

"In prison back in Australia. When Frankie was fifteen, Mark was in a bar fight. He beat the guy so badly the man wound up in a coma, no chance he'll ever wake up. Mark got twenty years. I had no family and a kid to support, so Frankie and me left for America. Never told Mark, he was never the sentimental type."

"So Frank was a boxer?" Tork asked, joining the conversation.

"Yeah. He was always a big kid. A guy a few blocks over ran a gym when we first moved here. Frankie got interested in the sport and turned out to be good. That's what everyone told me, I didn't like watching him fight."

"When did he lose interest in the sport?"

"About the time he was nineteen. He got mixed up with the wrong crowd, and that's when he started getting into fights outside the ring. Saw how he could make fast money, and moved to strongarm robbery. I ain't saying my son was a saint, detectives, but it ain't all his fault. He's got his father in him and me...I was too busy working two jobs to support him, I never paid as much attention as I should have. Frankie hated seeing me work that hard, that was why he started doing all this."

"Whatever his intentions were," DeWolff said, "we need to talk to him. We think he's a danger to himself and others."

"Well, if I knew where he was, I'd tell ya," Janice said. While her face was calm and collected, her eyes were red and on the verge of spilling out tears. "If going to jail keeps him alive, then so be it. Maybe a long stretch can straighten him out...I won't hold my breath."

"Well," Tork said in a defeated tone. "Wish you could help us. You don't know anything about his friends, or where he would be? Any girlfriends?"

"Not that I know of. Frankie and me, we haven't been real close since he started going to jail."

Both detectives began to walk towards the front door. Tork stopped short and pointed at the poster hanging on the wall. "Bernie's Gym, do you know where that's at?"

Daz and Gonzales were walking toward the Nova when Tork and DeWolff exited from the house's front door and walked down the steps towards the street. "Anything on the canvas?"

"Nobody home," Gonzales said with a shrug.

"C'mon, Popeye the Sailor Man, you off your game today? Forgot your spinach?"

Gonzales let the comment roll off his back. Daz pulled the driver's seat up and let Gonzales climb into the back of the Nova. Tork climbed into the car as soon as Dewolff had pushed the passenger seat back up. The sergeant reached for the radio mic and pressed the handle.

"Seven-Two-Charlie to dispatch."

"Go ahead, Seven-Two," the dispatcher called back.

"How backed up is SWAT? We might need them to 10-6 with us at a twenty in Manhattan."

"Hold one sec, Seven-Two.....SWAT is 10-7 in Midtown, dealing with a Signal 23. ETA is two hours."

"10-4, dispatch. Seven-Two-Charlie out."
Tork placed the mic back in the cradle and contemplated the next move.

"Screw it," he finally said. "Let's head on over to that gym. He might be there, might not. Worth a shot to check it out."

Bernie's Gym.
549 Hudson Street.

Daz pulled the Nova up to the rundown building. As shabby as the Olive house had looked, it had nothing on the shell that had once been Bernie's Gym. The only indication that it had once been occupied as the faded sign that hung crookedly over the front door.

"If I was a wanted criminal," Gonzales said from the back seat, "that's where I'd want to hide."

"Alright," Tork said, reaching into the floorboard with for his shotgun. "We'll go in guns drawn, but hold your fire unless there's no other choice.If he's in there, he's jacked up on MGH, but he's still a human being. Bullets hurt him just as much. Let's go."

Tork led the way with his shotgun, DeWolff, Gonzales, and Daz behind him with their service weapons. "Here we go," he said as he kicked the door in and rushed into the dimly lit building with his shotgun raised. "NYPD!"

He turned to the right when he saw a flicker of movement. Frank Oliver leapt from the shadows and tackled Tork, jumping into the air and bursting through the roof of the gym. Daz and Gonzales bolted out the door to follow Oliver. DeWolff helped Tork to his feet. The two rushed out of the gym in time to catch a glimpse of Oliver landing halfway down the block.

"Get in the car," Tork shouted to the others. "Get on the horn to dispatch. We're really going to need an eye in the sky for this one."

Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #41
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Previously

Arraignment Hearing
Part 21

Luke Cage's prison jumpsuit had been swapped out for a navy blue suit, a white dress shirt, and an equally navy blue tie. He sat at the defendant table in the courtroom, Foggy Nelson in a brown suit and brown bowtie to his left and Matt Murdock, in his usual court attire of a black suit with a dark crimson tie, sat at Cage's right.

At their immediate right, and representing the city and state of New York, was Chief Assistant District Attorney Blake Tower. An attractive blonde man in his early-40's, Tower was the head of the DA's Violent Crimes Bureau and testing the waters to make a run for the big chair. Tower was dressed in a gray three-piece suit with a striped red and blue tie.

Two sheriff deputies stood by the door leading into the empty courtroom. A crowd had formed outside the chamber door, curious citizens and members of the press all waiting for the closed session of court to adjourn.

"All rise," the deputy beside the entrance on the left announced as the lawyers and defendant stood. An elderly woman in robes appeared out of entrance and climbed up to the bench. "Now presiding, the Honorable Eliane Bennett."

"Be seated," she announced as soon as she took her seat. "Alright," she said as soon as she placed a pair of reading glasses on her face. "Docket number 9847, People of the State of New York vs. Lucas Cage. Defense, how do you plead?"

"Defendant pleads not guilty," Foggy said, rising from his seat.

"Very well. Preliminary hearings will begin next week, and jury selection will begin the week after that. Given the serious nature of the crimes the accused is facing, bail is denied and I'm ordering that the defendant be removed from the custody of the Manhattan Detention Complex and transferred to Ryker's Island while he awaits trial."

"Your Honor,"
Murdock said as he stood. "Defense would like to move that Mister Cage be placed in the protective custody wing of Ryker's. The charges levied at him puts him at risk with the inmates in the general population. Much as a former law enforcement officer would be."

"Counselor?" the judge asked with a nod towards Tower.

"People have no objections," Tower replied.

"Very well," Judge Bennett said. "Send the paperwork to my office and I'll be sure it gets to Ryker's before the defendant. Is that all, gentlemen?"

The defense and prosecution shook their heads and the judge banged her gavel. "Adjourned. I'll see you all at the prelims."

A deputy walked from the courtroom door and approached Cage with a pair of handcuffs out.

"Hold on," Foggy said with a scowl on his face. "Our client isn't a flight risk. The cuffs aren't needed."

"Sorry, sir," the deputy said. "Got my orders."

"It's cool," Cage said, his arms out for the sheriff deputy. The deputy snapped the cuffs on Cage's wrist and began to escort him out the courtroom with Foggy at his side. Matt stayed behind, collecting papers and placing them in his briefcase.

"Best of luck," Tower said as he came over to Murdock.

"But not too much luck, right, Blake?" Matt said with a soft smile. Murdock held his hand out and shook the hand of the ADA.

"Well, rumors are swirling that my boss might be bucking for the mayor's chair. He jumps, I can move up. I got a few high profile cases under my belt, but one more won't hurt come election time."

"Ah, the life of a politician."

"You don't know what you're missing, buddy."

"Well, what can you do? Road not taken, and all that."

The two men walked out the courtroom, Matt's red and white cane swinging just ahead of the two men as they walked out the doors and into the courthouse hallways. "You wouldn't happen to see my partner, would you?"

"He's down the hallway, chatting it up with all the press and cameras. I need to get down there and look pretty for the five o'clock news."

"Where's my client?"

"Sheriff's are taking him down the other end of the hallway. Holding cells and prison transport."

"Alright. I'll let Foggy take care of the press, I'd prefer to spend my time with more upstanding citizens like Mister Cage."

The two men departed and Matt walked down the hallway and down the stairs towards the holding cells. He tapped his cane on the desk where another deputy leaned against it, reading the paper. "Help you, buddy?"

"Matt Murdock, I want to speak to my client right quick. Luke Cage."

"Big black guy? Sure...umm...you need some help getting there?"

"Just tell me where he's at."

"Third cell on the right."

Murdock nodded and walked down to the cell where Cage was sitting on the cot, leaning back against the wall in his wrinkled suit.

"Your buddy seems like he's alright."

"Foggy is a good man. He's a smart man, too. That's why he can't know about what we really are. I want him protected."

"If I was gonna snitch, I would have snitched when they picked me up. My mouth is shut."

"Good. I think we can win this. Foggy's optimistic, and that's always a good sign. For now, though, I need you to help me out with something. Remember that list we complied?"

"Yeah. Stuff from social services and the courthouse."

"Right. I know the police ransacked your place when you were arrested, and it didn't show up on any evidence they had on you. Where is it?"

Got it in a safe place. Second back alley off 110th Street. False brick halfway through the alley on the right side. It's just like you asked. Two copies."

"I'll go up there and get it. Foggy and I will send the paperwork for the request to put you in protective custody. You'll spend tonight back at the Tombs, but you'll be on the first ferry to Ryker's in the morning. By then, the paperwork would have gone through and you'll be in protective custody."

"Alright. Thank you, man."

"Don't thank me yet. You can thank me when we win."

110th Street

Matt walked down the sidewalk towards the back alley Cage had mentioned. He stopped short of the alley mouth as a Chevy Nova rocketed down the alley with a police siren blaring and its lights flashing. He waited for the action to pass before walking down the alley. Using his cane, he poked on the bricks on the wall's right side before stopping at the sound of a loose brick. Reaching up, he pulled out a brick and reached into the empty space behind it. He pulled out papers wrapped in plastic wrap. One packaged was in braille, the other was in print. Matt opened up the wrap and felt for the braille one. He ran his fingers over the type before putting the print one back in the hole and closing it up with the brick.

Preliminary Hearing
Part 21

"Alright, what brings us here today," Judge Elaine Bennett said from the bench.

"Your Honor," Foggy Nelson said as he stood. "The defense would like to move that the additional two dozen murder charges on Mister Cage be thrown out."

"On what grounds?"

"Well, look at the case reports. No forensics or DNA that remotely point towards Mister Cage. He was working during the established times of death for half of these bodies. There's no direct evidence that points to the defendant in any way."

"Mister Tower, what do the People say?"

ADA Blake Tower stood, adjusting his suit jacket as he rose. "Your Honor, these cases have been linked to the vigilante known as the Devil of Hell's Kitchen, and it's recently been revealed that there's more than one. If Mister Cage was not present at the murders, he knew about them. That implies conspiracy."

"Your Honor," Matt Murdock said as he stood. "If Mister Tower feels the need to remove the two dozen murder one charges and slap them on as conspiracy, feel free. But he can do it in another trial. We'd also like to challenge the so-called confession the defendant gave to Sergeant Poindexter."

"What's your reasons, Mister Murdock?"

"It's a violation of the defendant's Miranda Rights."

"Your Honor," Tower said incredulously. "The People have a signed confession from the defendant dated the night of his arrest. He admitted to being the Devil of Hell's Kitchen and waived his Miranda Rights."

"Where's the proof that he fully waived his Miranda Rights?"

Tower reached down and opened up the files in his briefcase. "Right....here," he said, holding up a piece of paper. "Signed and notarized."

"Your Honor, I'd encourage Mister Tower to look closely at that piece of paper, especially the part where the defendant and the detective signed their names. Look carefully, and you'll see that while Mister Cage and Captain Stacy have their signatures down while Sergeant Poindexter, who heard the confession, did not sign his name on the sheet of paper as is required by law. How we can be sure that my client was fully informed of his rights? That signature could be a forgery for all we know."

"Your Honor, you can't be seriously listening to this. A bureaucratic error is going to lead to his confession being thrown out?"

"If there was not a witness to the waiving of the rights, we have no idea what was said."

"I'm not going to lose this case on a goddamn loophole," Tower growled.

"Alright," Judge Bennett said sternly. "That's quiet enough, Mister Tower. As much as it regrets me to say it, Mister Murdock is right. The Miranda Rights were not witnessed by a third party. The defendant and his confession are hereby inadmissible. And as such, the other murder charges do not have enough evidence. I'm throwing them out. Mister Cage will be tried on the one murder count alone, Silvio Manfredi. If that's all, I'll see you three later this week at jury selection."

Judge Bennett slammed her gavel down with a thump. "We're adjourned."

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #42
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Doomstadt, Latveria

Previously

Quote:
A guide leads us through the castle Victor now calls home. With its ornate decorations and gilded statues, it still seems like the king still lives here. At the base of a staircase is a ten foot tall, white-gold statue of Victor in all his glory.

"Looks like this guy is overcompensating for something."

"Safe to say he has a little d-"

"Doctor Richards."

We look up at the top of the stairs where our guide is waiting for us. The four of us quickly climb the steps to catch up with him.

"Excuse me, do you know where the ambassadors are?"

"They are with the Chancellor," the guide replies. "They're in the conference room waiting for you."

We follow the guide down the corridor towards the conference room. Soldiers flank the hallway walls, giving me and the others an uneasy feeling as we walk into the conference room. Victor is at the end of a long table with the two ambassadors, shackles on their arms.

"Richards, it is my duty to inform you and your friends that you are under arrest for espionage and crimes against the nation of Latveria. Your thinly veiled peace assignment is over. Even as we speak, my forces are mobilizing across the front lines into Hungary. We will have Budapest by nightfall...but you will not live to see it."

He barks an order out in his native tongue and the soldiers in the hallway flood into the room, assault rifles loaded and pointed at the four of us.

"You move, you die. Please, give my men a reason."

My eye catches Sue's and she slowly nods her head. The air around the soldiers flickers for just a millisecond, too quick to notice.

"Now!"

I lunge forward with my arms, stretching across the long table towards Victor. The soldiers open fire and their bullets bounce off Sue's invisible shield. The soldiers run away from the ricochet rounds and scatter. My hands are almost to Victor's neck when I slam into an unseen barrier. I retract my hands and wince at the pain.

"I learned my lesson last time, Richards. Dealing with you and your freaks, I brought troops, tanks, and helicopters. In truth, I was bringing a knife to a gun fight. This time I plan to even the playing field."

The air next to Victor shifts and a man appears by his side.

"This man, like your lovely bride, can manipulate molecules to become invisible, create kinetic barriers, and so much more. He goes by the amusing handle of Molecule Man. Allow me to introduce you to his friends."

The man waves his arms and three other people appear at his side.

"Constrictor."

"Blizzard."

"And Titania. Your so called Fantastic Four against my....Frightful Four...let's see who has better freaks!"

Blizzard shoots a blast of ice towards us. Johnny jumps forward and shoos a blast of flame from his palms.

"Johnny don't!"

The ice meets the fire in the center of the room and mixes, doing what always happens in chemistry when incredible amounts of heat mix with incredible amounts of ice.

BOOM!

The woman known as Titania drives Ben through a the castle's stone wall and out on to the manicured lawn. Sue and Molecule Man battle in the castle's large foyer, her invisible constructs blocking his attempts to hit her with his blasts. Johnny and Blizzard fight it out up in the air, Johnny buzzing around Blizzard's ice construct.

Me, on the other hand, I'm in a bit of a tight spot.

"Eccck," I gurgle out as Constrictor wraps his tentacles around my throat. I struggle and fight against his grip. I go so far as to contract my neck and head, but Constrictor keeps constricting his tentacles to keep up with the pace.

"C'mon, Doc, I thought you were the world's smartest man or something. Can't think you way outta this one, though, right?"

"Kkt ehend goo."

He smirks and retracts the grip just enough to let me talk. "What was that?"

"Look out behind you."

Titania flies by and slams into Constrictor, knocking them both into the air. The shock causes him to release his grip on my neck. I slink free and watch the two of them crash on the lawn.

"I really don't like beating up on girls," Ben says as he walks over to me. "But with the way she hits, I'll give chivalry a rest for once."

Constrictor and Titania stand up, Constrictor a little more shaken up than she is.

"What do you think about trading dancing partners? You might be able to wrap around her and do some real damage."

"I'm sorry but I took an oath to wrap around and damage only one woman."

She begins to charge towards us. Ben gets ready and I step to the left, stretching my leg out to the right and tripping the superpowered woman.

"That's all you get from me."

Before Constrictor attacks, an energy beam whizzes by my head. I turn to the right, seeing Sue and Molecule Man engaged in their fight.

"Sorry, dear," she says while defending off another blast with a barrier. "I didn't think it would ricochet like that."

Constrictor rares back with his tentacles and swings at me, I duck and turn my fist into the shape of a boulder, swinging wide and striking him in the gut. He lets out a gasp and stumbles backwards. I quickly turn my other fist into the shape of a sledgehammer and strike him in the head. Constrictor's eyes cross for a moment and he falls to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

An explosion ripples through the sky. Johnny's fire meets Blizzard's ice again. A beeping noise in my ear catches my attention. It's an incoming call.

"Doctor Richards, what in the hell is going on there? We've got Latverian troops surging towards Budapest and kicking the Hungary Defense Force's asses. Are the negotiations going that bad?"

"They never happened, General. It was a set up from the beginning. Victor tried to arrest us and sic superpowered goons on us."

"I knew something like this was bound to happen. Good news is that this surge convinced NATO and the UN to take action. General Ridgeway's troops and tanks are on the move and he should have his birds up in the air within the half hour. Von Doom's forces are gonna be back across the Latverian border by sundown. Captain Raye and I are preparing the evac mission to get you out of Latveria. We're flying an Ospry to Doomstadt, ETA is forty-five minutes. The LZ will be a farm a click southwest of the city, look for a bright red barn and faded silver silo. Where are the ambassadors?"

"Last we saw, they were being held by Victor."

"You need to get to them and have them ready at the LZ as well. NATO doesn't want this to turn into a ground war, so they're not coming after Von Doom...unless we can safely secure the ambassadors. Anything happens to them, it constitutes an act of war. Find them and have them at the extraction point. They're safety comes first, even above yours."

"Thanks for the pep talk, sir."

"You knew the risk when you signed up, Doctor."

"I seem to recall you saying that it was either join this team, or go to jail for a long time."

"Same difference. You know what to do, Doctor, now do it. Lumpkin out."

I disconnect and look up at another explosion in the sky, this one is accompanied by a falling body. The body plummets towards the ground until Johnny flies down after it, the flames on his hands and arms recede allowing him to catch Blizzard's unconscious body.

"That's two down."

Wham!

Titania slams into the ground and skitters to a stop after a few seconds of sliding.

"Make it three."

Johnny drops Blizzard down beside Titania and flies over.

"Nothing stop the power of a firestorm!"

"Just just come up with that?"

"Yeah, during the fight. It needs some work, doesn't it?"

"Come on, let's help Sue."

Sue blocks another blast, turning it around towards Molecule Man, he throws up another barrier and bounces the energy blast away. She ducks to the left and quickly shoots out her own forcefield constructs, Molecule Man blocks them with his powers.

"Okay, I have an idea. Sue, honey!"

"Yes, Reed?"

"Can you make a force field that's one way? Things can go in, but nothing can ge out?"

"I would say no," she says with a grunt as she fends off another attack.

"How about a forcefield with a hole in it?"

"Probably. Why do you ask?"

"Create one around this buffoon and you'll see."

The air suddenly flickers around Molecule Man, Sue's invisible barrier is distorting the air. In one lone spot, no bigger than a baseball.

"Johnny, time for some accuracy tests. See the small gap in Sue's forcefield, send some fire through it."

"Whatever you say."

Johnny expels a column of fire, it plows through the hole and begins to fill the protective bubble Sue creates. Molecule Man responds how I hoped he would respond, he tosses up his own shield.

"I can't get through his shields."

"Just keep on it."

Johnny continues to pour fire into the bubble. Through the flames, I can see Molecule Man faltering. He suddenly falls to the ground. Sue's forcefield disappears and Johnny pulls back on the fire.

"The hell just happened?"

"Just what I thought would happen. His shields and barriers were powerful, but the still allowed for the flow and passage of air. Johnny's fire ate all the oxygen inside his bubble and knocked him out."

"See," Sue says as she joins us. "With science you can kick all kinds of ass."

"What was that? I was purposely not listening to your last comment, least I turn into gigantic geeks like you and Reed."

"Come on, gang, we have to go. General Lumpkin is evacuating us in about a half hour, but we need to get the ambassadors before that."

"Means we have to go back into the castle and take on metal mouth and his soldiers."

"Considering what we just went through, men with rifles should be easy."

"You're right. Let's go."

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #43
sabetoonth
Who?

Bruce walked up a street to a South Carolinian hunter’s cabin, one he’d found. It'd been some time since he had left Dr Sampson’s house. This trip had almost completely been on foot since he’d left he had destroyed six buses, eight taxis, nine mini vans, completely demolished three buildings, ruined several others, and killed several dozen civilians in the rampages that had occurred.

The first one had been provoked by a mugger, who had pulled the lonely man into a dark alley, pointed a gun in his face, and demanded his money. Something Bruce had none of; in fact Bruce didn’t even have his wallet.

“Mother ****er, give me your wallet! Or I’ll pop one off in your face!” That’s exactly what he had said to Banner. He was instantly put into a panic with the barrel of a small firearm nearly shoved up his left nostril.

His heart was pounding away, that really wasn’t the first clue that something bad was happening, and Bruce was too focused on the gun and the mugger to stop the transformation. He shut his eyes tight as he could when he felt the change start, the mugger continued on with his threats, even striking the man in the side of the head with the weapon.

Bruce fell to the floor hard. But it wasn’t Bruce anymore, his skin began to turn a shade of green that a normal human should not be. His shape began to malform there on the ground in the ally. The mugger went too rifled through the collapsed shifting form for a wallet but was cast out of the ally by a strong swing of the arm of what had replaced Banner. Still growing however, it staggered to its feet. Destruction was to unfold.

The nearest car was flung down the street as the Hulk barreled down it, searching for a way out, the vehicle were in his way. He tore through half of the town’s streets by the time he found a way out and was gone before anyone could do anything but run and scream. Like a tornado.

The news media would have grabbed hold of this story, headlines like

HULK SMASHES THROUGH CITY BLOCKS, NO GOVERNMENT OR MILITARY RESPONSE

HAMMER prevented the story from ever seeing daylight. Major clean up. Heavy consideration went into a team specifically targeting the Hulk. But not just toy soldiers with guns. Something else. Something more. A team whose members would be able to go after the creature and have a better chance than simple humans.

The second was messier, in that one innocent civilians died. A minivan parked in the side of a building after having been cast to the side like a rag. Another group of less than civilly outstanding young men had harassed Bruce. Pushed him, shouted at him, threatened him, and finally assaulted him. There were piles of meat left in their places after Hulk had emerged. The alley reduced to rubble, and once again a clear trail of destruction following where the Hulk had been in a rage to get away from a new place it associated with frustration, danger, people bothering him.

The third was the least devastating of the “Hulk-Outs”. When he awoke in the middle of a clearing in the woods he gathered himself up, and found the nearest clothing store, swiping some new pants and a shirt. As much as he’d like to have paid for them he didn’t have any money and so he had no choice but to steal them. His face began showing up on newscasts and his name as well. To cover his face he grew a beard. He used the name David Krenzler instead of Bruce Banner. He kept walking, avoiding people more and more with each frustrating encounter.

He entered the hunter’s cabin quietly, sure it was empty but checking again none the less to be sure he wouldn’t be shot. It was dark, and it was cold. There was a fireplace there, and furniture, not the nicest furniture ever, but it wasn’t crap. He slowly moved through it. There was a crash as a plate fell from the counter and smashed into a million pieces on the floor. Bruce looked in that direction before finding a place to hide. After several moments Bruce peeked into the kitchen and there on the counter was a mouse. It had pushed the small fragile plate over the edge in a bid for crumbs hidden under the dish.

The scientist-fugitive sighed in relief, looking about his new home, for now. The place he would sleep until he made his next move to the West Aiken University and the office of Professor Samuel Sterns. Maybe he could help.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630

Last edited by sabetoonth; 04-30-2011 at 12:05 AM.
sabetoonth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #44
Mr. Majestic
Side-Kick

On the helicopter ride to Canada I can’t do nothing but just think of the time when I first joined the Weapon X program and Native was there training me to use my new powers that I had mimicked from her. She wasted no time in showing me what pain felt like. I don’t think I will ever forget that day. First thing she did was stab me in the stomach with her claws. I knew for a fact that I was going to die that day. She just stood over my body and told me to get up and stop crying. I didn’t even realize my wound had healed. She was a tough teacher but she made sure to teach me that life for a mutant is nothing but pain. Now that I really think about it her teaching methods aren’t that didn’t from Victors. Besides that, with everything I’ve been through wit Native I had to be the one to take this mission alone. I owe her that and so much more.

While flying over some mountains the helicopter pilot turns to face me for a moment.

“Sir we are just about a mile away from the location. We will reach the landing area in 10.”

I then get up from my seat and open the side door.

“No need I’ll take it from here.” I tell him as I jump out.

While falling right before the moment of impact I slowly begin to decrease my speed and gradually land on the ground, one of the perks of having the ability to fly. First thing I do it snuff to pick up her scent.

“It seems that my godfather was right regarding her whereabouts. Now that I have her scent I’ll be able to find her in no time.”

Old 05-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #45
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Doomstadt, Latveria

Previously

Quote:

The woman known as Titania drives Ben through a the castle's stone wall and out on to the manicured lawn. Sue and Molecule Man battle in the castle's large foyer, her invisible constructs blocking his attempts to hit her with his blasts. Johnny and Blizzard fight it out up in the air, Johnny buzzing around Blizzard's ice construct.

Me, on the other hand, I'm in a bit of a tight spot.

"Eccck," I gurgle out as Constrictor wraps his tentacles around my throat. I struggle and fight against his grip. I go so far as to contract my neck and head, but Constrictor keeps constricting his tentacles to keep up with the pace.

"C'mon, Doc, I thought you were the world's smartest man or something. Can't think you way outta this one, though, right?"

"Kkt ehend goo."

He smirks and retracts the grip just enough to let me talk. "What was that?"

"Look out behind you."

Titania flies by and slams into Constrictor, knocking them both into the air. The shock causes him to release his grip on my neck. I slink free and watch the two of them crash on the lawn.

"I really don't like beating up on girls," Ben says as he walks over to me. "But with the way she hits, I'll give chivalry a rest for once."

Constrictor and Titania stand up, Constrictor a little more shaken up than she is.

"What do you think about trading dancing partners? You might be able to wrap around her and do some real damage."

"I'm sorry but I took an oath to wrap around and damage only one woman."

She begins to charge towards us. Ben gets ready and I step to the left, stretching my leg out to the right and tripping the superpowered woman.

"That's all you get from me."

Before Constrictor attacks, an energy beam whizzes by my head. I turn to the right, seeing Sue and Molecule Man engaged in their fight.

"Sorry, dear," she says while defending off another blast with a barrier. "I didn't think it would ricochet like that."

Constrictor rares back with his tentacles and swings at me, I duck and turn my fist into the shape of a boulder, swinging wide and striking him in the gut. He lets out a gasp and stumbles backwards. I quickly turn my other fist into the shape of a sledgehammer and strike him in the head. Constrictor's eyes cross for a moment and he falls to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

An explosion ripples through the sky. Johnny's fire meets Blizzard's ice again. A beeping noise in my ear catches my attention. It's an incoming call.

"Doctor Richards, what in the hell is going on there? We've got Latverian troops surging towards Budapest and kicking the Hungary Defense Force's asses. Are the negotiations going that bad?"

"They never happened, General. It was a set up from the beginning. Victor tried to arrest us and sic superpowered goons on us."

"I knew something like this was bound to happen. Good news is that this surge convinced NATO and the UN to take action. General Ridgeway's troops and tanks are on the move and he should have his birds up in the air within the half hour. Von Doom's forces are gonna be back across the Latverian border by sundown. Captain Raye and I are preparing the evac mission to get you out of Latveria. We're flying an Ospry to Doomstadt, ETA is forty-five minutes. The LZ will be a farm a click southwest of the city, look for a bright red barn and faded silver silo. Where are the ambassadors?"

"Last we saw, they were being held by Victor."

"You need to get to them and have them ready at the LZ as well. NATO doesn't want this to turn into a ground war, so they're not coming after Von Doom...unless we can safely secure the ambassadors. Anything happens to them, it constitutes an act of war. Find them and have them at the extraction point. They're safety comes first, even above yours."

"Thanks for the pep talk, sir."

"You knew the risk when you signed up, Doctor."

"I seem to recall you saying that it was either join this team, or go to jail for a long time."

"Same difference. You know what to do, Doctor, now do it. Lumpkin out."

I disconnect and look up at another explosion in the sky, this one is accompanied by a falling body. The body plummets towards the ground until Johnny flies down after it, the flames on his hands and arms recede allowing him to catch Blizzard's unconscious body.

"That's two down."

Wham!

Titania slams into the ground and skitters to a stop after a few seconds of sliding.

"Make it three."

Johnny drops Blizzard down beside Titania and flies over.

"Nothing stop the power of a firestorm!"

"Just just come up with that?"

"Yeah, during the fight. It needs some work, doesn't it?"

"Come on, let's help Sue."

Sue blocks another blast, turning it around towards Molecule Man, he throws up another barrier and bounces the energy blast away. She ducks to the left and quickly shoots out her own forcefield constructs, Molecule Man blocks them with his powers.

"Okay, I have an idea. Sue, honey!"

"Yes, Reed?"

"Can you make a force field that's one way? Things can go in, but nothing can ge out?"

"I would say no," she says with a grunt as she fends off another attack.

"How about a forcefield with a hole in it?"

"Probably. Why do you ask?"

"Create one around this buffoon and you'll see."

The air suddenly flickers around Molecule Man, Sue's invisible barrier is distorting the air. In one lone spot, no bigger than a baseball.

"Johnny, time for some accuracy tests. See the small gap in Sue's forcefield, send some fire through it."

"Whatever you say."

Johnny expels a column of fire, it plows through the hole and begins to fill the protective bubble Sue creates. Molecule Man responds how I hoped he would respond, he tosses up his own shield.

"I can't get through his shields."

"Just keep on it."

Johnny continues to pour fire into the bubble. Through the flames, I can see Molecule Man faltering. He suddenly falls to the ground. Sue's forcefield disappears and Johnny pulls back on the fire.

"The hell just happened?"

"Just what I thought would happen. His shields and barriers were powerful, but the still allowed for the flow and passage of air. Johnny's fire ate all the oxygen inside his bubble and knocked him out."

"See," Sue says as she joins us. "With science you can kick all kinds of ass."

"What was that? I was purposely not listening to your last comment, least I turn into gigantic geeks like you and Reed."

"Come on, gang, we have to go. General Lumpkin is evacuating us in about a half hour, but we need to get the ambassadors before that."

"Means we have to go back into the castle and take on metal mouth and his soldiers."

"Considering what we just went through, men with rifles should be easy."

"You're right. Let's go."

From his fortified control room in the heart of Castle Doom, Latverian Chancellor Victor Von Doom watched as the events slowly spiraled out of control.

NATO forces, with the superpowered Avengers leading the charge, pushed the surging Latverian forces further and further away from Budapest. Field Marshal Eötvös, the supreme commander of Latverian forces and the man who had engineered the original plan of attack with Doom, was preparing to call for a retreat.

Then there was the matter of Richards. Doom's former friend had easily bested his genetically enhanced fighters with his own set of superpowered freaks. Even now, Richards and his three friends were making short work of the Latverian Royal Marines and heading towards Doom. They were after the two ambassadors. That was fine, they were never the intended target. They were bait for Richards and his team.

"Chancellor," the Marine at Doom's side said, a phone in his hand. "Important communication incoming."

Doom grabbed the phone from the Marine's hand.

"Yes?"

"Victor," Madripoor Premier Teng-Hui said. "I regret that we could not do this in person. I have enjoyed my stay in Latveria, but the time has come for me to leave."

"I can have a jet ready for you within the hour, Premier."

"A kind gesture, but it is not needed. I have my own ways out of the country."

"Very well. I have to ask, what is the status on additional support from the Republic of Madripoor?"

"Ah. That is most unfortunate. With the current status of the Latverian assault, the people of Madripoor think it unwise to continue any support, public and private, of Latveria."

"What?" Doom asked with a raised voice. "You promised us tanks, jets, stronger and better artillery and guns. What about your attack against China?"

"China can wait for now. As for our promises to you, they have been kept. We have supplied you with the finest equipment and technology."

"But I need more! The Americans are blowing the jets out of the sky, the tanks and troops are no match for their superior numbers."

"Well, perhaps you should have considered that before relying so heavily on one ally. The truth is, I needed you as much as you needed me. I played into your petty hatred for Doctor Richards and in return, I have received what I wanted."

"Yes, and what was that?"

"A chance to observe. That is all I can say for now. I must go, Victor, the hour is growing late. If things do indeed look bleak, think of my final gift to you and use it wisely. Goodbye."

There was a click on the end of the line and Doom threw the phone across the room in a rage.

"NO! I will not be played! I am not a pawn in someone's chess match!"

"Sir," the Marine at Doom's right spoke up. "The Americans are getting closer."

Doom looked at the security monitor by his side and saw the four figures dashing down the corridors of the castle. The parting words of the Premier popped into his head. The man's parting gift, what had it been?

That was when Doom remembered the vial. Reaching into his cloak, he removed the syringe filled with green liquid. It was the same substance Doom and the Premier had used on the four test subjects. Doom rolled the vial around in his palm before looking at the Marine.

"Major, dispatch all your men to stop the Americans."

"But your safety, sir-"

"Is in my hands, exactly where it should be. Dismissed."

The Marine snapped off a quick salute and left the control room. Doom pulled back the hood of his cloak and found slid up his metal mask to reveal the skin at the base of the neck. Taking a deep breath, he plunged the syringe into his neck and injected the liquid into his veins.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Was I the only one who heard that noise?"

I look over at Johnny as he flies next to me.

"That could be the ambassadors."

"Then let's pick up the pace!"

We turn a corner and come face to face with a dozen Marines, assault rifles trained on us. "FIRE!" The commander barks out.

"No!"

The corridor erupts into a deafening volley of gunfire and smoke fills the hallway. When it clears, the four of us are still intact thanks to one person.

"What else have you got?" Sue asks as the bullets harmlessly clatter to the ground.

"Ben, what was that you used to say back when you played football at the Air Force Academy?" I ask as the marines prepare for another round of fire. "You know, before every game?"

"Oh, yeah," Ben says with a wicked grin. He charges towards the men, his arms up and ready to fight. "It's clobberin' time!"

Ben makes short work of the marines. Leaving nothing between us and Doom's panic room. Ben knocks the steel doors in with a few rocky-fisted punches.

"Alright, Doom, where ya hiding? I'm tired of all these games. It's time to take your punishment like a real man."

We walk into the control room and look across the rows of computers and monitors.

"I see the ambassadors!"

Sue points to a far corner of the room. Ambassadors Clayborn and Hartley are shackled to chairs, gags in their mouths.

"There they are. Let's get them and we can get out of here."

Ben takes a step, and suddenly a metallic monster drops from the rafters, landing on Ben and expelling green smoke from its mouth. Ben wobbles and falls to the ground with a thud. The monster stands and looks at us.

"I assumed the gas would do it."

"Holy ****! What the **** is that thing?! KILL IT! KILL IT!"

Johnny shoots fireballs at it, but the monster leaps into the air and safely dodges the flames.

"What's the matter, Storm, don't recognize me?"

The voice, the tattered clothing, of course.

"Victor.....what are you?"

"You don't like it, Richards? I assumed you would."

"Another freak to call fantastic."

Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #46
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Quote:
"So here's our new car, which we bought with the first part of our advance. Granted, it's not a Jag like I wanted, but it'll fit all of us just fine when we--"

"Richard? I just got a call from the office. Apparently TriCorp's stock just took a huge dive, and they're taking it out on the R&D department. Our advance is getting cut in half."

"What?! But, but they can't do that! We were contracted for--"

"I know, honey, and some of the others on the team are already going to bat for us. Even Otto. But their legal department's got them jumping through hoops right now."

"So........we're not getting the money?"

"Not until the project's completed, they said."

"Huh.....well, Peter, this was going to be our new car. Guess we'll have to get a refund now."

"There's some good news, though......apparently OsCorp is looking to buy out our contracts and complete the project for them instead."

"Hmmm.......well, who knows? Maybe OsCorp is the right way to go...."
"You're what?!" J. Jonah Jameson thunders as I break the news to him.

"I-I....I said I'm....taking a-a--....another job, Mister Jameson," I whimper, shrinking away from my boss.

"Well, that's loyalty for you, isn't it?" he says. "I take you in and run your photos that no one else would look twice at, and now that Spider-Man and all these other freak-show 'superheroes' are all the rage, you're going to jump ship? Who's taking you? The Globe? The Times?"

"I'm not quitting, Mister Jameson!" I whimper under the crushing pressure of his interrogation. "I'm just taking an after-school internship at OsCorp. Just working as a lab assistant. I'm not going to start taking pictures for another paper, honest!"

"Ah, well then, best of luck with it,"
he says, completely changing his tone. "Make sure you get with Miss Brant to let her know your new schedule, and we'll work around that."

"Yes sir," I say, halfway excited about the fact that I've got an excuse to talk to Betty Brant. I mean, yes, I'm with Gwen and I only ever want to be with her, but still, Miss Brant is really hot.

As I stand up to leave, I notice something's wrong. My Spider-Senses are going nuts, alarm bells going off in my head. But what--

"Something the matter, Parker?" Mr. Jameson says.

"No, sir, just....." My eyes dart around the room, looking for the source of my panic.

"Well then stop standing around and make yourself useful! This is a place of business, not a rest stop! Go out there and--"

And then the window behind Mr. Jameson erupts, shattered by a green blur of motion. Jonah scrambles across his desk, diving for cover, while I instinctively leap up, ready to fight, before realizing I'm not in costume and running to cower behind cover as well.

A pair of hovering metallic orbs float in through the broken window, followed by a man covered in a green armored suit. Immediately I know who it is, and how much trouble we're in.

"JAMESON!"

Scorpion.

"Gargan, what are you doing here?!" JJJ sputters.

"Getting my payback on the people who betrayed me," he hisses. "You were one of my biggest supporters, you backed the project financially and told the world that I was the city's new hero. And then.....you sold me out!"

"You were butchering people, Gargan!"
Jonah says defensively. "You lost your mind, turned into a killer!"

"I was ridding the city of vermin!"
Scorpion shouts. "I was cleaning up New York, and then you--"

One of the floating drones starts flashing red, and Scorpion scowls.

"He's here," he says, eyes darting around, looking for someone. "My Slayer drones were designed to track down cataloged mutants and metahumans based on trace DNA samples. They're saying that Spider-Man is here, in this building, right now."

"What?! That masked menace?! He wouldn't dare come around here, or--"

Before he can finish, Scorpion lashes out his long cybernetic tail and wraps Jameson up in it, then steps into the main newsroom of the Bugle, announcing for everyone to hear.

"Spider-Man! You have ten seconds to show yourself, or the old man dies!"

.....this is going to be a tricky one......

Last edited by Andy C.; 05-03-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #47
Rain Dog
Failure

“Alright, so you looked over the list right?”

“Yep.”

“Good, good. Now, let’s see what we got,” I say, reaching for a notepad on Lester’s coffee table.

“So, our first idea for banking on this superhero thing was…comic books. That makes sense! Super heroes and comic books go hand in hand and since a lot of these guys are keeping their identities secret, they can’t possibly copyright their likeness and sue us!”

“Awesome!”

“Yeah, awesome! So how are we gonna get these published?”

“We’ll do that **** ourselves, man. Indie publishing, F-T-W.”

“Alright, alright. Can I see what you got so far?”

Hmmmm…that…is just…awful. I’m scratching comic books off the list.”

“Okay…”

“What else we got?...Superhero Tours. Not bad! We drive tourists around the city, take ‘em to spots where a superhero is ‘frequently seen’ or where some bad guy was busted and bam! It’ll be just like those celebrity home tours in L.A.!”

“Awesome!”

“Uh-huh, awesome. So, you got a car or something?”

“Nope. You?”

“….I don’t own shoes.”

“…..”

“…..’Kay, I’m scratching tours off the list.”

1.67 Hours Later

Airbrush T-shirt stands. Sigh. Really? Are we really this far down the list?”

“What else can we do man? We can’t do comics, tours, toys, movies—both non-pornographic and pornographic, impersonations, video games—“

“—I just feel like…I dunno, I feel like there’s something we can do, or…something…something we can say that hasn’t been said yet.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean…I dunno, I mean what have these guys actually done? Honestly? They fly around, blow **** up, save us from monsters and aliens, sure. But did anyone notice how these weird aliens and **** didn’t start showing up until after all these super heroes did? And what real problems have these *******s solved? There’s still starving kids, there’s still genocide and war and murder and rape. And we got that rich douche in the robot suit and Stretch Armstrong, allegedly some of the smartest guys in the world but they haven’t figured out how to cure AIDS, cancer, stop global warming, make the world less dependent on fossil fuels, or fix this ****** economy. Why haven’t there been any serious changes in our culture?

"Why hasn’t the world at large changed? Why are they constantly repeating this endless, destructive, and almost banal cycle of ‘good guy vs. bad guy, civilians die, good guy wins’? Why are seemingly simple solutions to major issues being completely ignored? For Christ’s sake, there is a government sanctioned team of super powered ****ing mutants and we still haven’t gotten Bin Laden!”

Suddenly, whatever’s on the t.v. flickers away into an image of the President at his podium.

“Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda…”

“Oh…****……never mind. Let’s, uh…let’s just do that t-shirt thing.”

Two days later, we wheeled a cart of crudely airbrushed t-shirts bearing the likenesses of Spider-Man and America-Man and Orange Rock-Man out onto streets of Manhattan. An old, fat, newspaper vendor in a newsboy and green cardigan saw us push past his stand and started flipping his ****.

“Christ! What’s the world comin’ to?! We got freaks runnin’ around the city and now we got tiny duck men walkin’ around sellin’ t-shirts! And, pretty soon, nukes’ll be flyin’ left’n right during dubya-dubya three, all ‘cuz of that loon marchin’ in Hungary right now. ‘Course, that’s just my opinion.”

“**** you, old man.”

Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #48
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Doomstadt, Latveria

Previously

Quote:

From his fortified control room in the heart of Castle Doom, Latverian Chancellor Victor Von Doom watched as the events slowly spiraled out of control.

NATO forces, with the superpowered Avengers leading the charge, pushed the surging Latverian forces further and further away from Budapest. Field Marshal Eötvös, the supreme commander of Latverian forces and the man who had engineered the original plan of attack with Doom, was preparing to call for a retreat.

Then there was the matter of Richards. Doom's former friend had easily bested his genetically enhanced fighters with his own set of superpowered freaks. Even now, Richards and his three friends were making short work of the Latverian Royal Marines and heading towards Doom. They were after the two ambassadors. That was fine, they were never the intended target. They were bait for Richards and his team.

"Chancellor," the Marine at Doom's side said, a phone in his hand. "Important communication incoming."

Doom grabbed the phone from the Marine's hand.

"Yes?"

"Victor," Madripoor Premier Teng-Hui said. "I regret that we could not do this in person. I have enjoyed my stay in Latveria, but the time has come for me to leave."

"I can have a jet ready for you within the hour, Premier."

"A kind gesture, but it is not needed. I have my own ways out of the country."

"Very well. I have to ask, what is the status on additional support from the Republic of Madripoor?"

"Ah. That is most unfortunate. With the current status of the Latverian assault, the people of Madripoor think it unwise to continue any support, public and private, of Latveria."

"What?" Doom asked with a raised voice. "You promised us tanks, jets, stronger and better artillery and guns. What about your attack against China?"

"China can wait for now. As for our promises to you, they have been kept. We have supplied you with the finest equipment and technology."

"But I need more! The Americans are blowing the jets out of the sky, the tanks and troops are no match for their superior numbers."

"Well, perhaps you should have considered that before relying so heavily on one ally. The truth is, I needed you as much as you needed me. I played into your petty hatred for Doctor Richards and in return, I have received what I wanted."

"Yes, and what was that?"

"A chance to observe. That is all I can say for now. I must go, Victor, the hour is growing late. If things do indeed look bleak, think of my final gift to you and use it wisely. Goodbye."

There was a click on the end of the line and Doom threw the phone across the room in a rage.

"NO! I will not be played! I am not a pawn in someone's chess match!"

"Sir," the Marine at Doom's right spoke up. "The Americans are getting closer."

Doom looked at the security monitor by his side and saw the four figures dashing down the corridors of the castle. The parting words of the Premier popped into his head. The man's parting gift, what had it been?

That was when Doom remembered the vial. Reaching into his cloak, he removed the syringe filled with green liquid. It was the same substance Doom and the Premier had used on the four test subjects. Doom rolled the vial around in his palm before looking at the Marine.

"Major, dispatch all your men to stop the Americans."

"But your safety, sir-"

"Is in my hands, exactly where it should be. Dismissed."

The Marine snapped off a quick salute and left the control room. Doom pulled back the hood of his cloak and found slid up his metal mask to reveal the skin at the base of the neck. Taking a deep breath, he plunged the syringe into his neck and injected the liquid into his veins.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Was I the only one who heard that noise?"

I look over at Johnny as he flies next to me.

"That could be the ambassadors."

"Then let's pick up the pace!"

We turn a corner and come face to face with a dozen Marines, assault rifles trained on us. "FIRE!" The commander barks out.

"No!"

The corridor erupts into a deafening volley of gunfire and smoke fills the hallway. When it clears, the four of us are still intact thanks to one person.

"What else have you got?" Sue asks as the bullets harmlessly clatter to the ground.

"Ben, what was that you used to say back when you played football at the Air Force Academy?" I ask as the marines prepare for another round of fire. "You know, before every game?"

"Oh, yeah," Ben says with a wicked grin. He charges towards the men, his arms up and ready to fight. "It's clobberin' time!"

Ben makes short work of the marines. Leaving nothing between us and Doom's panic room. Ben knocks the steel doors in with a few rocky-fisted punches.

"Alright, Doom, where ya hiding? I'm tired of all these games. It's time to take your punishment like a real man."

We walk into the control room and look across the rows of computers and monitors.

"I see the ambassadors!"

Sue points to a far corner of the room. Ambassadors Clayborn and Hartley are shackled to chairs, gags in their mouths.

"There they are. Let's get them and we can get out of here."

Ben takes a step, and suddenly a metallic monster drops from the rafters, landing on Ben and expelling green smoke from its mouth. Ben wobbles and falls to the ground with a thud. The monster stands and looks at us.

"I assumed the gas would do it."

"Holy ****! What the **** is that thing?! KILL IT! KILL IT!"

Johnny shoots fireballs at it, but the monster leaps into the air and safely dodges the flames.

"What's the matter, Storm, don't recognize me?"

The voice, the tattered clothing, of course.

"Victor.....what are you?"

"You don't like it, Richards? I assumed you would."

"Another freak to call fantastic."

I shift my hands into the shape of boulders and swing wildly at Victor, he lazily slaps my attack away with a metallic backhand.

Johnny flares up and sends a column of flames towards Victor. He absorbs the heat and emerges from the flames, red hot and smoldering.

"Come now, you have be able to damage me."

Sue whips up a projection and attacks. It knocks Victor back into a nearby wall. I stretch across the room towards my former friend.

"You did this to yourself, Victor? Why?"

"Why?" He asks as soon as he's on his feet. Victor lashes out, wrapping his burning metallic claws around my arms. "I had to one-up the great Reed Richards. It wasn't enough that he ruined my life and disfigured me, he had to go and ruin the lives of three other people and disfigured them. You have to die, and if it means turning myself into a monster, then so be it."

I pull back from Victor's grip, twisting around his body and trying to squeeze him like an boa constrictor. He roars and struggles against my squeezing.

"You're blaming me for this? Let's not forget, you were the one who was desperate to bring his mother back. I warned against using that machine, I even advised that we double check our work, but you were so confident, so sure it would work. You talk about my arrogance, Victor, you're twice as arrogant as I could ever be. You're putting countless lives at stake for petty revenge. It's a good thing your mother is dead. I'm sure she'd wish she was dead if she knew she had a son like this."

Victor roars and pushes as hard as he can, stretching me out of my tightening grip. He reaches for my face with his claws and slams my head into the floor.

"YOU NEVER MENTION MY MOTHER! SHE'S TOO GOOD FOR YOU TO SPEAK HER NAME!"

Victor keeps pounding my head into the floor. He's so consumed by his bloodlust, he doesn't see Sue moving into position.

WHAM!

One of Sue's invisible constructs slams into Victor and knocks him off of me and through a nearby wall. I regroup, retracting my extremities to their proper length, and standing up next to Sue and Johnny.

"Did either one of you check on Ben?"

"Aside from being ugly, fat, made of rocks, having bad breath, and my own assumption that he has a less than average penis, he's alive. He might wake up with a hell of a hangover, but he's alive."

"Sue, can you tell exactly what Victor did to himself?"

"I can't be sure without a proper scan, but it appears he melded with that armor of his. If I had to guess, his entire body is now made of metal. The gas he blew into Ben's face was what was left of his organic insides."

"His entire body is made of metal?....That gives me an idea. Let's go."

Johnny leads the way through the hole Victor's body created while Sue and I bring up the rear. The adjacent room is filled with lab equipment, tables, and computers.

"This is Victor's lab."

"But where's Victor?"

"Here!" Victor shouts as he leaps from the shadows. Sue throws up a force field on instinct and Victor bounces away. I make a quick survey of the lab and find what I'm looking for.

"Johnny, Sue, distract him for me."

They go to work, pestering Doom with constructs and fireballs while I rush over to a piece of equipment laying underneath a table. I grab it and struggle to move it towards the fight.

"Look out, here it comes!"

I turn it on and the electromagnet begins to hum. Victor suddenly falls to his knees, the magnet pulling him towards it. He claws at the floor and struggles against the magnetic pull. He crashes against the electromagnet and sticks to it.

"RICHARDS!"

I step to the side and watch Victor try to pull away.

"Sorry, Victor. Struggle and fight it all you want to, that's science."

"You sound like the dorkiest action hero ever."

I turn around to see Ben hobble through the hole in the wall, his head in his hands. "Sorry I'm late to the party. Looks like you didn't need my help."

"Are you alright, Ben?"

"Nothing a few aspirin won't cure."

"RICHARDS! YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN ME, YOU ONLY THINK YOU HAVE! LET ME LOOSE AND I'LL SHOW YOU THE TRUE POWER OF DOOM!"

"Reed, can I?"

"By all means."

Ben slams a rocky fist across Victor's face. It makes a solid clank and slams his head to one side. His head slumps to one side against the magnet.

"Damn did that feel good."

I walk over to a laptop and bring up the desktop. It asks for a password. I type in "Cynthia" and am welcomed by the computer. For a smart man, Victor really needs to work on that password.

"What kind of porn does he have on the computer?" Johnny asks as he deflames and leans over my shoulder. "Figure a guy who likes wearing an iron mask in public is into some real kinky stuff."

"No porn....just a lot of scientific formulas and projects. Weapons testing, alternative energy....and genetic engineering."

I bring up a file marked "Frightful." It's chocked full of test results from the four people we just fought. The first thing I notice is that the experiments were done by someone other than Victor and his Latverian stooges. Some doctor named Xiu was the project overseer. Meanwhile, all the reports were signed off by Madripoor Premier Teng-Hui.

"Victor's in bed with Madripoor. He's been getting weapons, technology, and those superpowered nutjobs we fought."

"Madripoor? I just thought they were a tourist place."

"Lumpy to Von Braun, Lumpy to Von Braun. Extract is en route, ETA to extraction point is five minutes. What is your twenty?"

"Still inside the castle. Von Doom is out of commission, the ambassadors are okay, and we have additional personnel that needs to be taken out with us."

"How many?"

"Five including Doom."

"No go, Von Braun. Orders from the White House are that Doom is to be left alive. Soon as NATO pushes his forces back across the border into Latveria, we're leaving him alone."

"What? Why? He's a threat to the world."

"The US and its allies are not prepared to occupy another country. Sorry to say it, but Doom isn't worth the money. You have your orders, meet us at the extraction point in ten minutes. Lumpy out."

Lumpkin cuts the line and I shake my head.

"This is the second time we've beaten his ass, only to be the ones who lose in the end. C'mon, Reed, we gotta go."

I turn back to the computer and prepare to shut it down and take it with us. I stop suddenly when something catches my eye.

"Oh, no."

"What is it, Reed?"

I swivel the laptop to where the others can see it. On the monitor is a sample of DNA codex.

"This is a sample of that woman Titania's DNA. I've seen a DNA sequence oddly similar before. Sixteen different sequences in her DNA are perfect matches for yours, Ben."

Sue steps closer and scans the code.

"No, there's actually twenty matches. All involving genes I've barely heard about."

"Excuse me, nerds....uhh, what does that mean?"

"It means that whoever experimented on Titania, used almost the exact procedure to experiment on Ben."

"Yeah....we're going to need to take that computer with us."

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #49
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Shadowcat

After dinner, Bobby, Pete, and I are headed for our rooms, when Rogue comes sliding down the hallway, "Y'all gotta come see this. Magneto's on the the TV."

As she runs down the hall, I shrug at the others and follow her. Once we're in the common room, we see the majority of the students crowded around the TV, watching a news report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
"--and thousands of refugees attempting to flee the small island nation as the Genoshan government collapses," the news anchor narrates as footage plays of civilians running in terror, metal debris flying into the air.....around the Master of Magnetism.

"The Genoshan military is in absolute shambles from the initial attacks at the hands of the Brotherhood, who have stated that they are there to stay, its goal to establish an all-mutant state. Their founder, the infamous international terrorist Magneto, issued this statement earlier today:"

"For far too long, the mutant has been vilified and victimized at the hands of the human. We have been made the target of fear and hatred, the subject of cruelty and oppression. No place in the world exemplifies this more than Genosha, and no place in the world is a more fitting place to begin a new era. Here, we shall rise, resolute in our defiance over those who would have us eradicated. Here, the mutant shall take his rightful place, superior over the ignorant apes that shun him. Genosha will be remade, forged into a paradise for our kind......and this is only the beginning."

"....this comes after the US Military's own mutant special forces team, the X-Men, shocked the world by going rogue and taking over their own facilities just weeks ago. General Henry Gyrich has stated that the military is prepared to deal with these mutant threats,
without the help of the X-Men. More on the story as it develops."
My heart drops as I watch the report. Magneto has declared war in the name of mutant kind on a nation. And no matter how unjust that nation is, it isn't going to reflect well on mutants.

I look over at the others, "We need to go find Scott. We need to prepare for the blow back that this might cause."

We race towards the offices of the school but find an empty office where we hoped to find Scott Summers.

"Terrific," Bobby mutters. "Where is he?"

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #50
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

"There's our target," I say as we come over the peak of a large hill, looking down to the facility in the valley below.

The Latverians had taken over an airport just outside of Budapest and repurposed it into a Forward Operations Base. From there, they've organized and deployed their forces, coordinating between air strikes, artillery, and ground troops to pummel the Hungarian defenses. Taking this place out won't break the Latverian line, but it will go a long way to disrupt their war effort and make it easier for the Hungarians to fight back.

"Not seeing any patrols on the perimeter," Hawkeye reports from his vantage point. "Nothing moving down there at all, actually. You sure this is the right place?"

"All intercepted communications indicate these are the coordinates of the Latverian F.O.B.," Vision says. "However, Hawkeye seems to be right--I cannot detect any signs of activity."

"I don't like this, Captain," says Miss Marvel. "Maybe the Latverians got wind we were coming. Maybe they're up to something they don't want anyone to see."

"Whatever it is, we won't get any answers by standing out here guessing," I say as I stand up from my cover, putting my shield out in front of me just in case. "Let's move in and get a closer look."

The entire airfield is still, eerily quiet. There is still equipment scattered about as if if was in the middle of being used, vehicles only halfway refitted or repaired. In the mess hall, meals sit on tables, half-eaten. Whatever happened, they left in a hurry.

Still, there are no bullet holes, no pockmarks or craters or fires, no signs of battle of any kind.

"Maybe they bugged out and ran."

"US-led NATO forces are inbound to this area, and have already pushing the Latverians back on multiple fronts. It is possible they abandoned this location to avoid capture."

"I don't think so,"
says Danvers as she steps out of one of the larger hangars. "In fact, I think they're all still right here."

We approach the hangar to see what she means. What we find is........really hard to look at.

They're on their knees, looking downward, slumped forward. Looking closely at one of them, I find a bullet hole in between his eyes. Just like all the rest.

There are hundreds of them, all like this. Hundreds of Latverian soldiers all corralled into this hangar, lined up, and shot execution-style.

"You think the Hungarians could have done this?" I ask, not wanting to state who I'm really thinking of.

"Doubtful," Vision says. "The Hungarian forces have demonstrated themselves to be under-equipped and under-trained to successfully engage the Latverians, especially in this manner."

"Maybe it was one of our groups? Delta Force? Navy SEALs? Marine Forest Recon?"

"Come on, you know who did this,"
Hawkeye says angrily. "We fought our way through plenty of Latverian troops to get here. They're a first-rate army with cutting-edge weapons. And someone took them down and wiped them out without leaving a trace. There's only one group that could've possibly pulled that off."

"SHIELD."

It was only a few short weeks ago that I saw Nick Fury die.

Guess it didn't take long before his ghost came back to haunt me.