The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #26
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: Worries About the Snyder reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Yeah, my feelings are mutual. Nothing has led me to believe this is going down the wrong direction.

My only concern honestly is the choice of villain/s.

I'm just deeply longing for Brainiac but even then I know Brainiac isn't necessary for a great Superman story (although having him for a sequel would then be a must). So its a tiny worry to say the least.
Yeah I guess thats probably my only concern if thats the word I can use, I do really want Brainiac. I'm not gonna be annoyed if we don't get him but getting the villain I want will be icing on the cake.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #27
7heBoss
Side-Kick

Yeah, I guess if I had say the thing I am most worried about is that we will get zod as a villain. and even that isn't too big of a deal for me, id just prefer brainiac

7heBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #28
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
Yeah, I guess if I had say the thing I am most worried about is that we will get zod as a villain. and even that isn't too big of a deal for me, id just prefer brainiac
Yeah thats how I feel, I'm not gonna cry if we get Zod but I'd prefer Brainiac, heck if they give me both that'd do nicely

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #29
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Much as I want Brainiac to be the villain and Zod to stay the hell away, did anyone read "The Last Days of Krypton"?

It really gave a starting point for a grudge between Zod and Brainiac... Maybe some of that will carry over...

Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #30
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
Much as I want Brainiac to be the villain and Zod to stay the hell away, did anyone read "The Last Days of Krypton"?

It really gave a starting point for a grudge between Zod and Brainiac... Maybe some of that will carry over...
Never read it, worth buying?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #31
The Cocreator
Side-Kick

They should start the new movies simple, right now they should just use Metallo

The Cocreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #32
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
So far, Goyer has been my only worry.
I don't blame you, but from what we've heard, Nolan has been able to right the ship in regards to the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cocreator View Post
I actually agree, if the villians are indeed Zod & Ursa, I would rather Metallo or even a dark version of bizzaro.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #33
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
So far, Goyer has been my only worry.
I don't blame you, but from what we've heard, Nolan has been able to right the ship in regards to the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Same here

Quote:
I actually agree, if the villians are indeed Zod & Ursa, I would rather Metallo or even a dark version of bizzaro.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
GreenKToo
In the fire

As others have said, if I had a worry, it would be over who the villain(s) will be..

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #35
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
metallo is just too small the fry. a secondary villain maybe.

and i HATE to see kryptonite again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #36
Kurosawa
Banned User

My biggest fear is any connection or similarities or influence from Byrne's Man of Steel. Byrne's take on the character was actually a cowardly retreat from the challenge of writing Superman as he turned the character into a Spider-Man/Colossus hybrid and ended up making Superman such a joke that his most popular moment after his changes was when a Faux Hulk beat him to death in "The Death of Superman" crossover. Goyer's admitted like for that series and his love of the scene from "Secret Origin": (the whole "I want to be Clark Kent bit) shows me that Goyer doesn't understand Superman very well. He clearly came up reading the Post-Crisis version and like so many other people, has seemingly never bothered to research the real version and the context in which he was created. I do NOT want Byrne's Superman. I want Jerry Siegel's Superman.

My other issue is Snyder's admitted admiration of Frank Miller and Miller's disgusting "Dark Knight Returns", which smeared Superman's good name relentlessly. Miller hates Superman and it shows. Byrne said that he worked with Miller to make sure his Superman and Miller's Superman were the same character, and it shows in his incredible incompetence and impotence.

That said, Snyder's expressed love of Curt Swan's Superman makes me hope he might actually understand the character somewhat, or that he's at least seen a real Superman comic or two in his life. His Jim Lee comments matter less to me, since Lee is alive and I figure Snyder is just kissing his ass because it's your typical hollywood suck-up stuff. Not that Lee doesn't draw a nice Superman (although he isn't much of a sequential artist tbh, he's more of a pin-up guy). If Snyder was mentioning a love of Elliot S! Maggin's writing I would feel a hell of a lot more confident. Luckily, Birthright seems to be a player in this adaptation and although Mark Waid is no Maggin (or even close), he does understand Superman so maybe Snyder will get some second-generation clue as to how to handle the character.

The casting decisions so far I approve of, although the Kristin Stewart rumors are absurd if true. She's not Lois Lane material, nor should she be acting alongside someone on Cavill's level.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #37
El Payaso
Banned User

- Snyder being all visuals and little heart.

- Goyer writing dialogues.

- Nolan being just a name thrown there for credibility.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #38
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
- Snyder being all visuals and little heart.

- Goyer writing dialogues.

- Nolan being just a name thrown there for credibility.
Well from what we keep hearing from Jaime he's doing abit more than just been a name thats been used

Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #39
tomoe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe
1. Snyder really hasn't made a truly great movie yet.
2. That it will be a soulless bashfest.

1.) False

2.) It wont.
1. Which movie are you referring to? I would love to be proven wrong.
2. I really hope you are right.

tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #40
Nemi
Murder Tramp

That Lex Luthor will be after land again.

Nemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #41
Tomar-Re
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemi View Post

What a pathetic scheme in Superman Returns... I almost laughed out loud.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #42
Zachhelms
Word.

Biggest Concerns...
1. The movie will end up like many of the other proposed Superman movies and never actually be put together.
2. The movie will not have enough action. We don't need another SR repeat.
3. That the casting for Lois will suck. She is a major role and she needs to be perfect unlike the previous movie Lois'.
4. The costume. I am in-between whether I want to keep it traditional or updated.

But other then that, I am not too worried. My dream Superman movie would be a Superman placed in the Golden Age time period. Have everything 30's or 40's. That'd be pretty amazing.

Zachhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #43
Zachhelms
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemi View Post
Worst storyline ever.

Quote:
Metallo, to me, is such a boring villain. If he was in the movie, he doesn't need to be the main villain. Maybe a side villain like the Scarecrow in The Dark Knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
My only two (major) worries left are:

1- They'll **** up the costume, remove the undies etc.

2- They'll go the ridiculous 'Metropolis Clark is the real guy' route.

Apart from that (I've accepted Cavill, hope I'm proven wrong about him) everything Snyder's been saying the last week is getting me excited.
For number 2, are you saying you would rather have Superman pretending to be Clark rather then Clark pretending to be Superman?

Zachhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #44
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
My biggest fear is any connection or similarities or influence from Byrne's Man of Steel. Byrne's take on the character was actually a cowardly retreat from the challenge of writing Superman as he turned the character into a Spider-Man/Colossus hybrid and ended up making Superman such a joke that his most popular moment after his changes was when a Faux Hulk beat him to death in "The Death of Superman" crossover. Goyer's admitted like for that series and his love of the scene from "Secret Origin": (the whole "I want to be Clark Kent bit) shows me that Goyer doesn't understand Superman very well. He clearly came up reading the Post-Crisis version and like so many other people, has seemingly never bothered to research the real version and the context in which he was created. I do NOT want Byrne's Superman. I want Jerry Siegel's Superman.

Oh People have read the Pre-cris version.But to be honest Its a lamer outdated version of Superman-which is why most people of this Gen like John byrnes run.

Zionite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #45
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite View Post
Oh People have read the Pre-cris version.But to be honest Its a lamer outdated version of Superman-which is why most people of this Gen like John byrnes run.

They like it so much that Superman has went from being the #1 superhero in comics to being basically irrelevant and only popular when a faux Hulk beats him to death. Oh, and when he's Batman's whipping boy.

It was a total failure. Period. The Superman that was based in Jerry Siegel's vision was a huge hit and cultural icon. He's Siegel's character. Not John Byrne's. Byrne has never created any character of real importance. And the classic Superman is hardly outdated-but go on quoting all the DC propaganda from the Byrne period instead of actually learning about the character's history.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #46
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:

They like it so much that Superman has went from being the #1 superhero in comics to being basically irrelevant and only popular when a faux Hulk beats him to death. Oh, and when he's Batman's whipping boy.

It was a total failure. Period. The Superman that was based in Jerry Siegel's vision was a huge hit and cultural icon. He's Siegel's character. Not John Byrne's. Byrne has never created any character of real importance. And the classic Superman is hardly outdated-but go on quoting all the DC propaganda from the Byrne period instead of actually learning about the character's history.
How many people nowadays would like the Original superman.Lets go back shall we?He fought wifebeaters was excessively vilent didnt take **** from no one and was goddamn unrelatable.As time went on He became Godddamn overpowered that there really was no way to challenge him anymore.Sure John Byrne had its flaws which i can esily list but it was leagues above the Original.
The Original did well in its day-but it really wouldnt sit well with Modern audiences.
And Superman has had bigger storylines that Death of Superman-Imperiex war is a great example

Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #47
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
How many people nowadays would like the Original superman.Lets go back shall we?He fought wifebeaters was excessively vilent didnt take **** from no one and was goddamn unrelatable.As time went on He became Godddamn overpowered that there really was no way to challenge him anymore.Sure John Byrne had its flaws which i can esily list but it was leagues above the Original.
The Original did well in its day-but it really wouldnt sit well with Modern audiences.
And Superman has had bigger storylines that Death of Superman-Imperiex war is a great example

Siegel wrote more stories than the one wifebeater story. Do some research. And the original would do fine with today's audiences-it was Byrne's version that led to Superman being an irrelevant joke, not the classic version that was a cultural icon for almost 50 years.

And cutting his powers down like Byrne did is the very first sign of a coward. Superman is hard to write? Then change everything about him so you don't have to take on the task of writing such a difficult character. What a coward. Honestly, as soon as anyone starts complaining about Superman being too powerful they just need to be sent to the Batman offices because they clearly don't get it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #48
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:

Siegel wrote more stories than the one wifebeater story. Do some research. And the original would do fine with today's audiences-it was Byrne's version that led to Superman being an irrelevant joke, not the classic version that was a cultural icon for almost 50 years.

I did.Everything I read about that character screamed campy,ridiculous and Unrelatable.And It was the Donner versiond that gave the publiuc colored perceptions of Superman not Byrne!

And cutting his powers down like Byrne did is the very first sign of a coward. Superman is hard to write? Then change everything about him so you don't have to take on the task of writing such a difficult character. What a coward. Honestly, as soon as anyone starts complaining about Superman being too powerful they just need to be sent to the Batman offices because they clearly don't get it.

Tell me how on earth do you write a challenge about a guy who can move planets-is faster than the speed of light or travel through time!There really is now way to do it properly otherwise you get Donner-Horrible.
This is very strange-I have never encountered a fan who wanted us to be stuck in Precrisis crap.
The Donner movies are the best representation of Precrisis superman there is-and according to Modern GA they suck DONKEYBALLS

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #49
batman44
Go Speed GO

I wouldn't call the Donner and Reeve series the best representation pre-crisis. It hardly took anything from those stories aside from Superman being real and Clark a diguise, nor do I remember or seen any polls or data that says the modern GA think those movies suck.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #50
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
The Donner movies are the best representation of Precrisis superman there is-and according to Modern GA they suck DONKEYBALLS
The Donner movies have nothing to do with Pre-Crisis Superman. If anything, they formed a lot of the basis for the Post-Crisis version with the cold Krypton, harder Lois, more farmboy Superman who was exceedingly naive, etc. And the Donner movies are actually still well thought of-although I personally have some issues with them. Superman Returns was badly thought of because it was a poor movie.

And if you have never encountered a fan who liked Superman being done in a manner that his creators intended, then you haven't stepped out of the Post-Crisis Byrne shell much. Even DC themselves have rectified many of Byrne's biggest mistakes over the years like his wretched Krypton, test-tube baby Superman, getting rid of Superboy (which Byrne HIMSELF admits was a mistake), etc. Superman as he stands right now is somewhere in between the classic that was the top comic and a huge cultural icon for YEARS and the failed Byrne experiment that has resulted in Superman being the #3 superhero at his own company. If DC ever straightens out their legal issues with the S&S heirs, maybe they'll make Superman a winner again,