The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #51
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Default Re: Worries About the Snyder reboot

There are things I like about each "version" of Superman, but of the origins that I've read, I'd have to say that the Birthright version is probably the best in terms of a Superman in the modern age. I like some of what Byrne did but the test tube baby stuff was just a little too weird in my opinion. There's something really touching about Jor-El and Lara talking to their infant son before he blasts off into space. Shoot off an embryo doesn't carry half the emotional weight.

As for other things... I like the corporate Lex Luthor better than the mad scientist version, and I hate Superboy with a passion... I don't give a damn if people think Superboy is essential to the character or not... I never, ever want to see a teenage Clark in a costume fighting bad guys and making Lex Luthor go bald.

And as for the debate of how Superman should act... I will give you that the pre-Crisis version was more of a leader... I don't know if it was Byrne's doing or some bad decisions by DC execs, but throughout the 80s and early 90s they seemed to want to turn Superman into a guy who was just a powerful hero instead of the ultimate hero. It was like they wanted to replace him with Captain Atom (probably part of the reason I hate Captain Atom). Never understood why they did that.

So I guess as far as Superman's character goes, I'd want the pre-Crisis take charge attitude, without the arrogance. That was one thing I didn't like about Siegel's Superman... he came off like kind of an a**hole to me, at times.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #52
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I'm actually a little worried now this film might be too realistic. He mentioned it having a documentary look and that to me means less colorful and bright as I would have thought his approach would be. Time will tell.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #53
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I hope he means that he's trying to make the setting as realistic as possible to make Superman stand out.

Really hope thats what he means.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #54
Astrodust
Side-Kick

If he is going for a realistic setting and story, he will need realistic cinematography to match it. I was hoping for something like Spiderman's color palette but I'm not sure what's in Snyder's head right now. Maybe it'll be like District 9 without the shaky cam.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #55
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
I'm actually a little worried now this film might be too realistic. He mentioned it having a documentary look and that to me means less colorful and bright as I would have thought his approach would be. Time will tell.
My God... doesn't matter what is said or done, people will always found something to complain or be worried about.

First, worried to be over stylized, now worried it might be too realistic.

At lease this resume MY worries: fanboys and trolls.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #56
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Whoa, what? He said it would have a DOCUMENTARY look? Huh?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #57
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachhelms View Post
2. The movie will not have enough action. We don't need another SR repeat.
I don't think we'll have to worry about that with Snyder at the helm.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #58
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Im worried the movie might be so awesome I have a heart attack in the theater and die before finishing the movie.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #59
KRIM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Whoa, what? He said it would have a DOCUMENTARY look? Huh?
There's a bit of misinterpretation there. Here's the quote in full context:
Quote:
“I’ve never had to make a movie that exists or takes place in the real world before,” Snyder told Movieline. “Every movie I’ve made has been some stylized version of reality.”

Compared to the hyper-stylized visions he’s brought to his past few films — the blue-screened battles of 300, the dark comic book universe of Watchmen, and the pop culture mash-up fantasy worlds of Sucker Punch, the latter of which takes the viewer deep into the mind of a troubled young woman trapped in an insane asylum (Emily Browning) — Superman demands a world grounded in reality. Well, relatively speaking.

“I said to the studio, when you ask me to make Superman you’re asking me to make a realistic movie. They’re like, ‘What do you mean? It’s Superman.’ I’m like, no — for me, that’s like a documentary, basically.”

“I guess for [Superman] to be credible, he gets more credible by the reality that you can bring to him,” he elaborated later to a gathering of press. “Emotionally and visually. So we’ll see.”

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #60
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, I think he's just trying to say we're going to see an incredibly fantastical character in a very real setting to create a larger contrast than any Superman movie we've seen so far.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #61
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Yeah, got it.

For a second I was having nightmares that this would be some sort of District 9/Blair Witch/Quarantine take on Superman.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #62
Asgard
Kanga Fu

I liken Zach's comment to this:

Imagine watching a movie like Heat and the climactic shootout during the bank robbery, now imagine Superman coming out of nowhere to apprehend the crooks.

Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #63
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite View Post
Oh People have read the Pre-cris version.But to be honest Its a lamer outdated version of Superman-which is why most people of this Gen like John byrnes run.
Not me. Post-Crisis Superman is older than I am, but I can still see that Pre-Crisis is the best. Mostly because I've actually read some Pre-Crisis stories instead of just browsing Superdickery.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #64
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
My God... doesn't matter what is said or done, people will always found something to complain or be worried about.

First, worried to be over stylized, now worried it might be too realistic.

At lease this resume MY worries: fanboys and trolls.
It would be fair to think that Superman might be over stylized cause Snyder always implements a visual style to his films though I don't recall ever fretting over this. I'm just trying to figure how realistic he wants to make his movie. And how am I a fanboy or trolling? This thread is for concerns you might have for the Snyder reboot. It appears you are the one trolling. I have supported Snyder from day 1 so I'm just stating an opinion.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #65
JAK®
Upstart

What Snyder is saying about realism is no different from Donner's 'verisimilitude' mantra.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #66
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Snyder is a visual master so even if he plans for a realistic tone, it will be Snyderesque realism. One thing that he has proven is that his visuals complement his material.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #67
jthom19802
Side-Kick

He explained it more in an interview in one of the other threads (Official Snyder thread?). Basically just wants it to be a real world environment to increase the "awesomeness" of a Superman existing.

Take S1 for example. You have a real world Lois getting into a real world helicopter that suffers from real world malfunction and puts her, it and the pilot in real world danger. Then POOF here is this amazing 'person' there to awe the "real world" with his ability to fly and the strength to manhandle the chopper.

To me, I read no more or no less into it; creating a believable and relate-able world that any of us could live in and then dropping this powerful, god-like being into it.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #68
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom19802 View Post
He explained it more in an interview in one of the other threads (Official Snyder thread?). Basically just wants it to be a real world environment to increase the "awesomeness" of a Superman existing.

Take S1 for example. You have a real world Lois getting into a real world helicopter that suffers from real world malfunction and puts her, it and the pilot in real world danger. Then POOF here is this amazing 'person' there to awe the "real world" with his ability to fly and the strength to manhandle the chopper.

To me, I read no more or no less into it; creating a believable and relate-able world that any of us could live in and then dropping this powerful, god-like being into it.
So basically you're saying Donner already did that.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #69
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

My worries:

1. I will not make it to December 2012 without going nuts with anticipation...

2. The world will actually end on the 21st of December as per the 2012 theory... BEFORE we ever get to see the new Superman film...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #70
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
No, I'm saying that a 300 or a Watchmen world isn't going to work in a Superman movie and Snyder has expressed as much. I happen to agree. It has nothing to do with the Donner flicks, I was making an example.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #71
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
What Snyder is saying about realism is no different from Donner's 'verisimilitude' mantra.
its not, but people are gonna say otherwise cause they want snyder to be the messiah that saves them from anything donner-related.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #72
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
its not, but people are gonna say otherwise cause they want snyder to be the messiah that saves them from anything donner-related.
As much as I love the Donner film, he sort of abandoned the whole verisimilitude thing by the time Superman (or more accurately, Lex Luthor and his cronies) appears, turning it into something closer to the Adam West Batman show. Which is what really dates the film.

It wasn't until X-Men that a superhero film managed to keep a serious tone all the way through.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #73
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Yeah, I think he's just trying to say we're going to see an incredibly fantastical character in a very real setting to create a larger contrast than any Superman movie we've seen so far.
And yet that's why the first movie was - and pretty much the rest too - about. That's why no one cared about Superman punching giant robots.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
That's what he did/tried to do.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #74
DieSmiling
WINNING

A) Zod. It just seems to me that we've seen five Superman films and haven't even delved into some of Superman's better rogues and I don't want to see a repeat. Brainiac or even someone like Metallo would be so cool.

B) That they'll F up the suit. It's crazy to me that people were so critical of the SR suit, when some of the various composites for past Superman flicks are out there, with black and silver, no cape, etc. Snyder talking about "realism" scares me a bit, because I think the suit might be one thing that suffers.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #75
Kurosawa
Banned User

I pretty much think that Snyder is going to take a real world and drop a fairly faithful comic-book Superman into it. Which is pretty much what Donner did. Now, to me the way to go, is take a real world-drop Superman into it-and then make it a Post-Superman world of wonder and potential.

Not to bring the whole Christ analogy into it-because Superman should be portrayed from a Jewish point of view if anything-but there should clearly be a Pre-Superman and a Post-Superman world. Smashing all their eras on one Earth and not making Superman the first superhero any longer is part of how Post-Crisis ruined the character.

Superman's presence should change the world, and change it for the better.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote