The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Default Re: Can The Dreaded Inconsistency Can Be Explained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I really wish Singer and Vaughn would've called First Class a complete reboot so that the fanbase wouldn't have to debate continuity discrepancies over and over again.
But Singer and Vaughn have made it clear that First Class is a prequel, not a reboot, and that there will be continuity issues only because they care more about telling their own story than falling 100% in line with X3 and Origins.

Vaughn's statement about following what works and what doesn't in the series, and the fact that the continuity issues arise from X3 and Origins, seems to me like a pretty clear indicator that First Class is a prequel to just Singer's X-Men, in the same way that Superman Returns was just a sequel to Donner's Superman.

Blader5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post
But Singer and Vaughn have made it clear that First Class is a prequel, not a reboot, and that there will be continuity issues only because they care more about telling their own story than falling 100% in line with X3 and Origins.

Vaughn's statement about following what works and what doesn't in the series, and the fact that the continuity issues arise from X3 and Origins, seems to me like a pretty clear indicator that First Class is a prequel to just Singer's X-Men, in the same way that Superman Returns was just a sequel to Donner's Superman.
Makes you wonder how many times Superman has to save a jet liner from falling out of the sky.

I'm looking out for the scene when Eric and Charles first meet when they're 17 years old.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
That is interesting. Also, you make a fantastic point. Considering that Beast's cat-like appearance has been attributed to his secondary mutation (am I the only one that misses humanoid Beast from the 90s?), it is plausible that they took a page from that notion, in X3. To that end, it would make sense that Leech was able to reverse Beast's furriness.

@TheVelveOnion

It is obvious that you are a true fan of fiction. Your willingness to invest in the suspension of disbelief, is impressive. It could indeed have been a clone, or shape shifter. That sort of willingness to make an excuse for the events in a story, really allows one to simply enjoy a piece rather than being overly critical of the minutia. Seriously, I applaud that kind of attitude. I can't help but think of my favorite quote from William Wordsworth; "We murder to dissect." Every time we analyze something, we must destroy whatever it was, prior to our analysis. Sometimes, it is good to let go.
Im a fan of movie industry, i wouldnt say im a fan of fiction considering the whole idea of the x-men is fictional to begin with.

No seriously im not out to always find an answer for the inccuracies, im just posing the question that why does it have to be xavier or beast, there is always an explaintion and even though the story isnt hundred percent accurate we can at some level fix it.

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
TheVelvetOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #29
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Easy fix.Just Ignore X-Men The Last Stand and X-Men Origins:Wolverine.This appears what the film makers are doing.
Meh, I actually enjoyed Wolverine on a basic level.

X3 should however be ignored by all means.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #30
macknyou
New User - Level 0

Doh Re: Can The Dreaded Inconsistency Can Be Explained?

Many of the X-Men film series "problems" can be explained so that all the films remain canon. We don't know the entire story yet as there are some new films on their way... thank god! But all that we see now that doesn't look quite right; might have some interesting answers in upcoming sequels/prequels. Professr X walking in Origins: Wolverine can be seen as an illusion or vision Xavier created to greet the escaping children(were you really expecting the kids and "us", the film viewers, to wait around all day while he wheels himself out to say hi?) Xavier has used illusion before, just recently in First Class where he makes himself and his group invisible to soldiers. So its possible. Emma Frost's age inconsistencies might be explained as a mother/daughter situation. First Class Emma Frost/White Queen may be the Origins: Wolverine Emma Frost's mother. Who knows? That may be shown before too long. Sabertooth's more beastial nature in the first movie might be seen as how Victor Creed from Origins: Wolverine embraced his feral nature. Wolverine/Logan in comparison, would also convert this way had he chosen differently and didn't humanize himself at the school.

macknyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #31
Russell Nash
Immortal

Seeing how the entire opening is a shot by shot remake of the original X-men, I think it's safe to say that First Class is in continuity with the other films. The inconsistencies can be explained away pretty easily.

1. Professor X walking in Origins and X3. Charles Xavier simply projects himself as being able to walk with his mind. If Charles can make himself, Magneto, and a squad of soldiers disappear, why can't he project a mental image of himself walking?

2. Emma Frost in Origins and First Class. Never is Tahyna Tozzi's character referred to as "Emma" in Origins, only as "Kayla's Sister." There are mutants with the same powers (Banshee), and "Kayla's Sister" is never seen doing telepathy, in fact Charles Xavier tells Scott Summers where to go.

3. If this were truly a "reboot" Vaughn and Fox wouldn't go out of their way to exclude Cyclops, Warren Worthington (Angel), Iceman, and Jean Grey from the movie.

The franchise is in continuity with itself, almost perfectly.
X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-men, X2: X-Men United, and X-Men: The Last Stand all complement each other fine.

Russell Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #32
The Apocalypse
Pokeballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post

And this is why people should stop complaining. Folks, we just got an AMAZING X-Men film. One did haven't since X2. Be happy people, cause I'm ECSTATIC at the moment, as a huge fan. Stop worrying about the inconsistency issues and enjoy the fact we got a brilliant x-men movie.

The Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #33
Russell Nash
Immortal

Yeah but Superman Returns is a sequel to Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. Lex was returned to prison in IV and got out in V. Nothing is contradicted between Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #34
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Nash View Post
Seeing how the entire opening is a shot by shot remake of the original X-men, I think it's safe to say that First Class is in continuity with the other films. The inconsistencies can be explained away pretty easily.

1. Professor X walking in Origins and X3. Charles Xavier simply projects himself as being able to walk with his mind. If Charles can make himself, Magneto, and a squad of soldiers disappear, why can't he project a mental image of himself walking?

2. Emma Frost in Origins and First Class. Never is Tahyna Tozzi's character referred to as "Emma" in Origins, only as "Kayla's Sister." There are mutants with the same powers (Banshee), and "Kayla's Sister" is never seen doing telepathy, in fact Charles Xavier tells Scott Summers where to go.

3. If this were truly a "reboot" Vaughn and Fox wouldn't go out of their way to exclude Cyclops, Warren Worthington (Angel), Iceman, and Jean Grey from the movie.

X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-men, X2: X-Men United, and X-Men: The Last Stand all complement each other fine.

That's probably not the right answer but It makes enough sense for now. It really depends on if they introduce Jean and Cyclops differently into the prequels.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #35
Russell Nash
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
That's probably not the right answer but It makes enough sense for now. It really depends on if they introduce Jean and Cyclops differently into the prequels.
Remember, Charles can read people's minds. The first thing people think of when they see someone in a wheelchair is usually, "how do they take a dump?" "can he get it up?" It would get rather annoying after awhile. Think of it like Mystique in human form.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #36
Timstuff
Banned User

It's always possible that Magneto decides in one of the sequels that he is going to give Charles' way of doing things a chance-- maybe he is even inspired by the civil rights movement. Obviously, we know that it ultimately does not work out, but Magneto had a moving morality slider for many years in the comics so I think we will see him return in one of the XFC sequels to help build Cerebro with Charles.

As for Charles walking in the X3 flashback even though he is paralyzed in XFC, it's possible that Charles tried to cure his paralysis through some means in the early 80s, but he could not achieve permanent results. Hence, there was a time period later in his life where he was able to walk and use his legs for a period of time, but eventually he started losing sensation and movement in his legs again and had to go back to the chair.

XMOW is just a downright silly movie and the plot makes so little sense that there's really no point in trying to explain away any of the inconsistencies. It is what it is-- a dumb action movie about Wolverine. If you can accept that much then you can accept how little continuity it has with the rest of the series.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #37
calibud
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
That's probably not the right answer but It makes enough sense for now.
But what would be the purpose of it? Teens tend not to trust men in wheelchairs?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #38
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibud View Post
But what would be the purpose of it? Teens tend not to trust men in wheelchairs?

Maybe it's easier to lead them onto the plane in standing form. Also he might be self conscious about being a wheel chair during those days.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #39
calibud
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Nash View Post

1) It's just an odd notion for him to feel the need to project himself into others' minds as being ambulant. I find it easier to accept that he maybe attempted a cure. Could also just be something they chose to ignore for XFC for dramatic purposes.

2) Kayla actually does refer to her as "Emma" at least once during the escape sequence. The promo materials (which are debatable canon information) also refer to her as Emma Frost. A character named Emma with diamond-skin? I guess the kid called Summers with optic blasts was also just a coincidence.

3) There's no way of knowing what the producers were actually thinking when they decided to make this film. They could've done whatever they wanted. Why wouldn't they go out of their way to exclude the original team? They did it for three movies and that worked out fine. And I think that it's fairly clear by now that the cinematic X-verse is not faithful to the comics save for some characters and events. We don't know what they would have done if this were officially announced as a reboot.

The films compliment each other if you reach and reach for reasons outside of rationality to tie them together. None of these errors are explained away easily because they're pure speculation. The easier thing to do is to accept them as film continuity errors.

Emma + diamond-skin = a misstep on David Benioff and Gavin Hood's parts. And it's okay.

As someone else said, we've had four previous entries, two of which switched out directors. They're bound to step on each others' toes here and there. i think it's actually more convoluted to try to rationalize each error. I would like for the films to be a finely woven tapestry as well, but the reality is that different creative talent = different interpretations = continuity errors. Singer himself has violated some of what he established 11 years ago.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #40
OoAnd1
Side-Kick

This film actually portrayed a more powerful, or perhaps less restrictive, Pro X. That "we're not in the back of the truck" trick was a nice touch on his powers and a possible way to FIX the "wheelchair issue". Like someone else mentioned, it's very possible that he Jedi-mind-tricked us when he recruited Jean and Cyclops.

The "he temporarily cured himself" idea was decent at best. But it's something we probably would never see on film, leaving it forever to be a fan-debate.

BUT if, in a sequel, he actually performs this "walking" trick, it would be amazing. It could be used mostly to again demonstrate his powers but it would be a very easy way to correct a "mistake". Ignoring this mistake of X3, XMOW and making him crippled in FC makes Vaughn gutsy, fixing that mistake makes him badass.

OoAnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #41
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

just forget the fact that X3 and the last Wolverine flick exist

best way to end this continuity inconsistency arguement

Vaughn himself said that First Class ties in more with X1 & X2 than the other ones

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #42
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
With that said, there is a glaring oversight with this film.

- In X2, there is a brief scene in which Henry McCoy is on a television news program, engaged in a debate. We clearly see that he has no fur.

- In X3, we meet Beast, who does have fur. This much is fine, except when he encounters leech, his fur rescinds, which makes no sense because it is not a part of Henry's mutation.

- In First Class, there is flight scene in which Henry is flying an aircraft. He can be seen as having blue fur. Considering that these films all share canon, it makes no sense that he has fur in the "beginning" even though he does not even have it in X2.
Of course the fur is part of his mutation. Do normal people have blue fur and fangs?

The serum backfired on Hank and ended up expanding/enhancing his original mutation, rather than suppressing it. What the serum did was make his mutant gene express itself much more. I can't remember the phrase he uses in the film but it amounts to what I just said. In the comics, he does a similar thing, injecting a serum that goes wrong.

As for the X2 scene, maybe he was using an image inducer (as Nightcrawler does in the comics) to make himself appear normal. Or maybe it was an Easter egg that was so brief it doesn't really matter. Pick one.

So please stop obsessing over everything!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #43
Timstuff
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoAnd1 View Post
This film actually portrayed a more powerful, or perhaps less restrictive, Pro X. That "we're not in the back of the truck" trick was a nice touch on his powers and a possible way to FIX the "wheelchair issue". Like someone else mentioned, it's very possible that he Jedi-mind-tricked us when he recruited Jean and Cyclops.

The "he temporarily cured himself" idea was decent at best. But it's something we probably would never see on film, leaving it forever to be a fan-debate.

BUT if, in a sequel, he actually performs this "walking" trick, it would be amazing. It could be used mostly to again demonstrate his powers but it would be a very easy way to correct a "mistake". Ignoring this mistake of X3, XMOW and making him crippled in FC makes Vaughn gutsy, fixing that mistake makes him badass.
If they do show him making an illusion of himself walking in one of the XFC sequels it would definitely be an easy way to handwave the continuity issue with X-men 3.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #44
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
I'm looking out for the scene when Eric and Charles first meet when they're 17 years old.
Well did this happen?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
TheSpyAssassin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
just forget the fact that X3 and the last Wolverine flick exist

best way to end this continuity inconsistency arguement

Vaughn himself said that First Class ties in more with X1 & X2 than the other ones
This is the best explanation possible. I think people need to realize the film is designed to follow Bryan Singer's two films. Everything seems to add up to X1 and X2, but of course nothing implies the fore-coming events of X3 and Wolverine. This is a semi series reboot that will lead us back to X1...and eventually it could lead to the X4 Bryan Singer is "supposed to do" that will ultimately be revealed as the real sequel to X2 (as in the same case of Superman Returns like others have mentioned before on this board).

TheSpyAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #46
Marvin
Side-Kick

What's stopping Magneto and Xavier from calling a truce before they find jean grey exactly. From my understanding Eric has been a xman many times after the fact.

Moreover, whose to say xavier walking in origins wasn't a mental projection...

I do find it neat how many times logan has encountered these two before Xmen2000.

I also find it less interesting how every xmovie is about magneto. Time to move on already.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #47
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyAssassin View Post
This is the best explanation possible. I think people need to realize the film is designed to follow Bryan Singer's two films. Everything seems to add up to X1 and X2, but of course nothing implies the fore-coming events of X3 and Wolverine. This is a semi series reboot that will lead us back to X1...and eventually it could lead to the X4 Bryan Singer is "supposed to do" that will ultimately be revealed as the real sequel to X2 (as in the same case of Superman Returns like others have mentioned before on this board).
See my post above yours.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #48
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

the mind trick idea for prof. x projecting a mental image of himself walking in X3 and X: origns makes most sense otherwise it is a glaring plothole.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #49
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

How bout we all agree he's astral projecting in Origins, then just get over it lol

Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #50
The Morningstar
Banned User

Who cares? Seriously? Ignoring X-3 and Wolverine is a good thing.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote