Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post

Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #252
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I like that they're paying homage to the fact that she has changed her hair length over the years. I just hope they don't feel the need to homage her bob-cut days of the late 70's/early 80's.
Meh, I still would've rather see her keep the IM2 hairstyle atleast for one more film.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #253
CB Fan
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Meh, I still would've rather see her keep the IM2 hairstyle atleast for one more film.
Me too they should have kept the long hair and added the Gold to her suit she looks awkward standing next to the other very colorful superheroes even Hawkeye has visible color with the purple.

They should have adapted this look from her 'Kiss or Kill' series.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #254
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I wish they'd have given BW green eyes, or at least clear green eyes if she has them already. The green eye, red hair look looks awesome.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #255
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Dude, just chill out. It's not like Black Widow is a character they just threw in there to make you mad. She's an established character in the Avengers comics too. Seriously, as a gay man you are not representing your lifestyle well by being so nasty about a female character. Are the male hotties not enough for you (They are for me.)? Let straight guys have something to foam about too. Yeesh!! I am female and I do not like your misogynistic tone. So stop now before you offend more females in these boards or lurking here.

I mean really would you be saying these things to Scarlet Johannson's face if she was here? If you say yes, you are a very mean spirited human being.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off - The reason why I listen to European Metal.

Isn't this far better but still pop-like?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #256
ladyloki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
Dude, just chill out. It's not like Black Widow is a character they just threw in there to make you mad. She's an established character in the Avengers comics too. Seriously, as a gay man you are not representing your lifestyle well by being so nasty about a female character. Are the male hotties not enough for you (They are for me.)? Let straight guys have something to foam about too. Yeesh!! I am female and I do not like your misogynistic tone. So stop now before you offend more females in these boards or lurking here.

I mean really would you be saying these things to Scarlet Johannson's face if she was here? If you say yes, you are a very mean spirited human being.

Well Said I agree with you.... Oh CoreyIAN if you dont want to see a woman on the team dont watch the movie. I know that the movie is going to be fantastic, with black widow on the team. Ok she uses guns but she has other skills dont dismiss her, I hope she kicks ass in this movie. I know all the characters will, so again if your so offended because a women is on the team dont watch it.

Loki: How desprate are you ? ... and you call on such lost creatures to defend you .

Nick Fury : You have made me very desperate

BAD ASS !!!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #257
ladyloki
Side-Kick

its cool coryIan ... I think scarlett johansson is beautiful but I myself as a women who likes men can understand where your comming from. I dont get turned on by women and yes there are guys who will be in this movie who I find very attractive ( tom and chris lol )
but its not about that .. its about her as a character. So lets just agree that the movie is going to be great ... and we will leave it at that

I dont think you will have to worry to much about love interests ... too much will be going on for that I think especially with loki involved and his army who ever they are.

Loki: How desprate are you ? ... and you call on such lost creatures to defend you .

Nick Fury : You have made me very desperate

BAD ASS !!!

Last edited by ladyloki; 02-11-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #258
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyIAN View Post
Sorry, I didn't meant to offend anybody...

But yeah, I heard this movie is mainly about the big 3...Caps America, Thor and Iron Man...so I'm glad and relieved...

Scarlett Johansson is a beautiful woman, I know it...I get it...I can acknowledge that she is a beautiful woman...but she doesn't do anything for me...I don't get turn on by her...or any women....

So yeah, as long as Black Widow, Maria Hill or any other potential female love interests doesn't have too much screentime....I'm cool with that.
I have no problem with there being sparks between two characters in a movie. It happens all the time in the comics, like Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, Scott Summers and Jean Grey, etc. etc. It's not like Marvel would make it some kind of Chick Flick because they have attractive women in it. The thing is that there are going to be predominantly straight males watching this movie who do like a little fanservice as well. I mean we ladies/gay men are spoiled by all the hot guys in this movie. We have to let our straight male peers have something nice to look at too.

As far as Black Widow's usefulness, it's the ones you don't expect have the biggest impact sometimes. I believe that Widow will be able to hold her own among Gods and heroes. She'll just have to rely more on her smarts and knowing what her abilities are useful for to help the team out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #259
shigsy2003
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

Quote:
Hi ladyloki, Jinouga, nice meeting you here.

My earlier post...I didn't meant to offend anybody. I was merely feeling very bored and wanted some attention... No hard feelings..

I just want to add on...black widow...It's not that I don't really like the character...it's just that they cast Scarlett Johanson who doesn't look believable in that role ?

It's like Jessica Alba as Susan Storm kind of casting....

Scarlett Johanson...I don't know...she just doesn't look like a tough gal who can kick serious butt to me....

That scene in Iron Man 2, where she walks in and single handlely defeated an army of guys in suits....that fight scene just look very loopsided to me....as if the men in suits delibarately fight poorly and let her win over them.

Now on the other hand, if they cast someone like Michelle Rodrigrez from Avatar , I could see her as a tough gal......or someone like Linda Hamilton from Terminator 2.

Yeah, I guess for straight males and lesbian women, it will be nice for them to have a chance to ogle at pretty women in the movie..... lol

Off Topic, I didn't quite realise that there are a number of fan girls at superherohype forums.

I guess I just assume that most of the members here are mostly fan boys.

I didn't know that females are also attracted to superhero action movies which I think it's pretty cool.

I would have thought that you gals are only interested in chick flicks or romantic comedies. lol
And the award for gross generalisations goes to.......

Seriously man you're coming across as very narrow minded and offensive. I'm a straight guy who was very happy for Scarlett to portray this role and in my opinion she did it very well.

Also believe it or not but there are quite a lot of women out there who aren't into rom coms and chick flicks but love action and superhero films.

I also find it odd how you felt you had to post your very sexist initial post in two different threads. There are lots of ways to get attention, being offensive is the most childish way.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #260
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

I agree with Shigsy. If you're bored, do a crossword puzzle. Sexual orientation should have nothing to do with the appreciation of a character. If it does, you're letting your genitals do your thinking for you. Never a good idea.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #261
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

idk, my genitals are smarter than me

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #262
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
*sporfle*

Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #263
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigsy2003 View Post
And the award for gross generalisations goes to.......

Seriously man you're coming across as very narrow minded and offensive. I'm a straight guy who was very happy for Scarlett to portray this role and in my opinion she did it very well.

Also believe it or not but there are quite a lot of women out there who aren't into rom coms and chick flicks but love action and superhero films.

I also find it odd how you felt you had to post your very sexist initial post in two different threads. There are lots of ways to get attention, being offensive is the most childish way.

QFT. If someone tries to get me to watch a chick flick, they'll need a taser, some shackles and a barf bag. No gunfights, no explosions, no xeno.

That's why I loved the Transformers movies so much. The scripts were crap, but there were Giant. ****ing. Robots. Giant ****ing Robots kicking the **** out of each other. I was in heaven, except when they showed John Turturro's ass on a three-story tall IMAX screen.

This guy should take his attention-seeking self off and find the troll who was posting homophobic rants in the Hiddleston thread. Their attitudes are remarkably similar, despite the fact that one gay-bashes and the other strikes out at women. Hate and ignorance have a lot in common, no matter the target.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #264
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Considering a female was a founding member in the comics, I see no problem with a female being a founder in the movies. And if you are having Hawkeye in this film it would make no sense not to have BlackWidow when she is just as good as him if not better. And if anything they need to have a female in this movie who isnt a love interest to show that you dont have to be a main female character just to serve as a love interest to the hero.

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 02-13-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #265
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Quote:
There's really only 3 hot guys in the movie....the 2 Chris (Evans and Hemsworth) and Tom Hiddleston.

Robert Downey is way too old....

I don't really find Mark Ruffalo and Jeremy Renner attractive at all.

Hemsworth is hot but he's straight, married and with a baby on the way.

Tom Hiddleston will look more hotter if he could bulk up a little. He just looks a bit too thin or slender looking.

I guess I just focus my attention on Chris Evans and Tom Hiddleston.

Anyway no coincidence, my favourite avenger happens to be and has always been Captain America and it's a bonus that Chris Evans is playing that role and the movie is told from his perspective and he is the first avenger recruited

And Caps America is actually the offical leader of the Avengers.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Chris happens to have a hot gay brother too, Scott Evans ....sweet
Wrong, wrong, wrong....Coulson is the hottest of the bunch.

And seriously, all the guys Ruffalo and RDJ included, are cute in my book. Heck, at 39 I'm old enough to appreciate the rugged, handsome looks of older men like RDJ anyway.

You know Shigsy said it when he stated that "you're coming across as very narrow minded and offensive." You're starting to annoy me an awful lot. It's one thing to be gay and that's alright with me. But to be cloying, insulting and aggressive about it is just rude.

Besides, I like Tommy for being a beanpole because genetically that's his body type, like I'm genetically disposed towards being buxom and full figured. Tommy likes being tall and lithe as much as I like being full figured and voluptuous, not big and bulky so just deal with it. It's called personal preference. Besides, who are you to tell anyone how they should look because you're displeased by it?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-13-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #266
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't meant to offend anybody...

But yeah, I heard this movie is mainly about the big 3...Caps America, Thor and Iron Man...so I'm glad and relieved...

Scarlett Johansson is a beautiful woman, I know it...I get it...I can acknowledge that she is a beautiful woman...but she doesn't do anything for me...I don't get turn on by her...or any women....

So yeah, as long as Black Widow, Maria Hill or any other potential female love interests doesn't have too much screentime....I'm cool with that.
So if they don't turn you on, you have no interest in them? What an enlightened way of looking at the world.

Gay people can be sexist too you know.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #267
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Considering a female was a founding member in the comics, I see no problem with a female being a founder in the movies. And if you are having Hawkeye in this film it would make no sense not to have BlackWidow when she is just as good as him if not better. And if anything they need to have a female in this movie who isnt a love interest to show that you dont have to be a main female character just to serve as a love interest to the hero.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I was always such an Avengers fan, because they were "equal opportunity" for far longer than the Justice League. By 1980, Avengers had no less than 7 or 8 major female leads, while Justice League still had pretty much just Diana and Canary.

Marvel really dropped the ball on not having more than just BW in this movie. Hell, even Joss admitted that he was originally planning on adding Wasp to the film roster, but he said he just didn't see how he could fit her in. And this is coming from Joss frickin' Whedon....? Mr. Female Empowerment, Mr. Female Ensemble Casting, Mr. Comic Book Writer/Insider In Hollywood...? And he didn't know how to fit the freakin' founding godmother of of the Avengers into the movie....? Sheesh.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #268
Lorus
Side-Kick

I'm always tickled by the idea that adding another woman to the roster would somehow make things better. As if having the men outnumber women by 5 to 2 rather than 5 to 1 is some achievement. Equality! Equality for all! That's even more equal than ever before!

Numbers and ratios don't mean **** as far as diversity or equality goes in my opinion. It's all about the character and what they can bring to the table. I trust Whedon to offer Black Widow as an interesting character, unique to the film, and if he does then he will have done everything he needs to.

Of course I may be wrong, Whedon and Marvel dropped the ball by not including more black/asian/gay/transgender/disabled characters in the roster. Whedon calls himself a decent human being who supports equality, what a load amirite?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #269
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
I'm always tickled by the idea that adding another woman to the roster would somehow make things better. As if having the men outnumber women by 5 to 2 rather than 5 to 1 is some achievement. Equality! Equality for all! That's even more equal than ever before!

Numbers and ratios don't mean **** as far as diversity or equality goes in my opinion. It's all about the character and what they can bring to the table. I trust Whedon to offer Black Widow as an interesting character, unique to the film, and if he does then he will have done everything he needs to.

Of course I may be wrong, Whedon and Marvel dropped the ball by not including more black/asian/gay/transgender/disabled characters in the roster. Whedon calls himself a decent human being who supports equality, what a load amirite?
It's not about trying to fill some affirmative action quota, mate, but thanks for trying with that "lol PC horsecrap" nonsense.

It's about being true to the source material. Avengers have always had strong female leads, from the very beginning. It's about the movie leaving out core characters, and founding characters.

It's like a Justice League movie that leaves out Wonder Woman. Or a Fantastic Four movie that leaves out Sue Storm.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #270
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Got to love that comeback

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #271
Lorus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It's not about trying to fill some affirmative action quota, mate, but thanks for trying with that "lol PC horsecrap" nonsense.

It's about being true to the source material. Avengers have always had strong female leads, from the very beginning. It's about the movie leaving out core characters, and founding characters.

It's like a Justice League movie that leaves out Wonder Woman. Or a Fantastic Four movie that leaves out Sue Storm.
I apologise, I didn't mean to misinterpret, but your previous post was very much weighed down with the notion that more female characters should be included. Your comparison to the Justice League and comments about feeling the Avengers were more 'equal opportunity' very much led to the conclusion that you were looking for more female rather than "Wasp should be their as that would be more faithful." Coupled with your increased emphasis on Whedon's feminism, I'm sure you can see why your comment was misleading.

On the issue of whether Wasp deserves a place, I'm not convinced. I feel that an adaptation of the Avengers should aim to distill the overall concept into a film, work on capturing the intangibles rather than the tangibles, if that makes sense. The Avengers are about more than Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk, Ant-Man and Wasp team up after all. Hell, Cap's included in the film when strict comic fidelity would be against that.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #272
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
Hell, Cap's included in the film when strict comic fidelity would be against that.
Hawkeye too.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #273
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Hawkeye too.
And, you know, Nick Fury.

The idea is obviously borrowed from Ultimates, wherein Fury and his top two SHIELD agents are integral parts of the Avengers and their formation

So in a sense it's faithful. Just not faithful to that Avengers #1 from 1963

Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #274
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
And, you know, Nick Fury.

The idea is obviously borrowed from Ultimates, wherein Fury and his top two SHIELD agents are integral parts of the Avengers and their formation

So in a sense it's faithful. Just not faithful to that Avengers #1 from 1963

Yet both 616 *and* Ultimate Avengers recognized Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne as founders; but MCU Avengers leaves them out, ignoring canon in *both* camps.

So in a sense, Movie Avengers isn't faithful to *any* comic book.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #275
Chewy
REDACTED

They probably just figured trying to shove two additional characters into the movie, on top of the dozen or so characters around whom the plot is structured, wasn't a particularly good idea. Especially if the only reason for adding them would just be so that they're there

They recognized that outside of the Big Three the Avengers has had a largely rotating cast.
They liked the idea of Nick Fury and his top two SHIELD agents, longtime Avengers in their own rights, organizing the team to avert a disaster.
And they wanted to involve the Hulk as he's a popular character with strong brand recognition outside of comic book fans, who's been involved in essentially every telling and retelling of the Avengers origin story

I don't see what's controversial about the characters they chose to focus on, and the ones that they chose to write out

The faithfulness of an adaptation is not necessarily in the specifics, but rather in the spirit and tone and "feel" of the whole

Closed Thread