Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #276
Lorus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The faithfulness of an adaptation is not necessarily in the specifics, but rather in the spirit and tone and "feel" of the whole
Exactly. The makeup of the roster is pretty immaterial when it comes down to it. Fidelity to the comics is always defined arbitrarily by fans, should the villains be the same as those in issue 1? Should each character be defined by the same characteristics they were in their first issues? Should costume designs be the same etc etc.

I think at the end of the day, Hawkeye and Black Widow are both more than deserving of the Avengers title and if they're portrayed well then there is no problem.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #277
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
They probably just figured trying to shove two additional characters into the movie, on top of the dozen or so characters around whom the plot is structured, wasn't a particularly good idea. Especially if the only reason for adding them would just be so that they're there

They recognized that outside of the Big Three the Avengers has had a largely rotating cast.
They liked the idea of Nick Fury and his top two SHIELD agents, longtime Avengers in their own rights, organizing the team to avert a disaster.
And they wanted to involve the Hulk as he's a popular character with strong brand recognition outside of comic book fans, who's been involved in essentially every telling and retelling of the Avengers origin story

I don't see what's controversial about the characters they chose to focus on, and the ones that they chose to write out

The faithfulness of an adaptation is not necessarily in the specifics, but rather in the spirit and tone and "feel" of the whole
Hank and Janet never rotated out.
Hank got booted out occasionally when he went schizo, but after "rehab," he was allowed back in.
Wasp has always been a permanent fixture in the Avengers Mansion. On up until Bendisvengers, anyway.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #278
Chewy
REDACTED

They were rotated out by issue 16.

EVERYONE got rotated out at one point or another. The point is that the big three remained the faces and fixtures of the team, even when not on it. Characters like Wasp and Hank Pym were essentially in the background most of the time. Yes they were explored and central from time to time over the hundreds of issues. But this is a two and a half hour movie, there aren't hundreds of issues with which to explore such characters.

I think if you look at that previous post in its entirety, and don't just try to argue the rotation aspect of it, the points stand.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #279
batdude
Side-Kick

I think they realized everybody would complain if Cap wasn't in it. You know I would have liked it if all that Giant Man/Nathan Fillion talk was true. and Wasp would have been a great role for Eliza Dushku or Summer Glau. There is always sequels though.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #280
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
They probably just figured trying to shove two additional characters into the movie, on top of the dozen or so characters around whom the plot is structured, wasn't a particularly good idea. Especially if the only reason for adding them would just be so that they're there

They recognized that outside of the Big Three the Avengers has had a largely rotating cast.
They liked the idea of Nick Fury and his top two SHIELD agents, longtime Avengers in their own rights, organizing the team to avert a disaster.
And they wanted to involve the Hulk as he's a popular character with strong brand recognition outside of comic book fans, who's been involved in essentially every telling and retelling of the Avengers origin story

I don't see what's controversial about the characters they chose to focus on, and the ones that they chose to write out

Agreed

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #281
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
They were rotated out by issue 16.

EVERYONE got rotated out at one point or another. The point is that the big three remained the faces and fixtures of the team, even when not on it. Characters like Wasp and Hank Pym were essentially in the background most of the time. Yes they were explored and central from time to time over the hundreds of issues. But this is a two and a half hour movie, there aren't hundreds of issues with which to explore such characters.

I think if you look at that previous post in its entirety, and don't just try to argue the rotation aspect of it, the points stand.

I've personally got no problem at all with the lineup they chose to go with. But I'm merely defending the inclusion of Hank and Janet in the Avengers eventually, by at least Avengers 2, because it just makes sense. It's like doing the Justice League without Wonder Woman, or the Fantastic Four without Sue Storm. Hank and Janet *are* the Avengers. When you think Avengers, those are two of the core characters that come to mind along with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Tigra, She-Hulk, the Captain Marvels, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, and Wonder Man. And Jarvis and Rick Jones. Those have been the quintessential core group for generations of Avengers fans.

I just find it ridiculous that I'm HAVING to actually defend the inclusion of Hank and Janet in a goddam Avengers movie. The people who are saying that they don't belong there or that they just don't like the idea of them in the Avengers movies are just....mind-boggling.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #282
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I've personally got no problem at all with the lineup they chose to go with. But I'm merely defending the inclusion of Hank and Janet in the Avengers eventually, by at least Avengers 2, because it just makes sense. It's like doing the Justice League without Wonder Woman, or the Fantastic Four without Sue Storm. Hank and Janet *are* the Avengers. When you think Avengers, those are two of the core characters that come to mind along with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Tigra, She-Hulk, the Captain Marvels, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, and Wonder Man. And Jarvis and Rick Jones. Those have been the quintessential core group for generations of Avengers fans.

I just find it ridiculous that I'm HAVING to actually defend the inclusion of Hank and Janet in a goddam Avengers movie. The people who are saying that they don't belong there or that they just don't like the idea of them in the Avengers movies are just....mind-boggling.
I agree with you on this, because if it were up to me Janet and Hank would definately be in the film and as a matter of fact I really would like to see them in Avengers 2.

Along with Ultron as the main villain

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #283
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I agree with you on this, because if it were up to me Janet and Hank would definately be in the film and as a matter of fact I really would like to see them in Avengers 2.

Yup, Ultron's a great call.
Personally, I hope the villain(s) for Avengers 2 *are* more terrestrial in origin, like Ultron; because I don't want to see the sequel turn out yet another alien invasion. I don't want Avengers to seem like a one-trick pony.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #284
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post

Agreed

Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #285
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Yup, Ultron's a great call.
Personally, I hope the villain(s) for Avengers 2 *are* more terrestrial in origin, like Ultron; because I don't want to see the sequel turn out yet another alien invasion. I don't want Avengers to seem like a one-trick pony.
Exactly, it seems like everyone else wants the Kree/Skull war to happen in Avengers 2 but I think more "alien invasian/war" type stuff should be saved for Avengers 3.

I agree that The Avengers need to take a break from aliens for the second film because we don't want it to see like the "same ol' same ol".

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #286
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I hope she gets her own film after this one!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #287
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Our favourite Black Widow recently went to the beach.

http://www.thesuperficial.com/photos...bikini-0212-00

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #288
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Our favourite Black Widow recently went to the beach.

http://www.thesuperficial.com/photos...bikini-0212-00
niiiiiice!

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #289
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Found a better link, HQ pictures.

http://hq-celebrity.com/new-bikini-p...son/#more-7460

Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #290
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post

Was there any purpose to this article other than for them to say "ewwww cellulite lololol"....?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #291
Godzilla2000
Angry Kaiju

Quote:
Was there any purpose to this article other than for them to say "ewwww cellulite lololol"....?
You have to be kidding me...this again? It's getting so that when a woman has a healthy, curvy body they're called fat because they don't look like a laboratory skeleton.

- I'd say he's the ragiest but Rajang takes that top spot.

- All I see are people who are making me the unhappiest that I've been in decades. I'd rather be alone than make disrespectful jerks happy.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #292
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
You have to be kidding me...this again? It's getting so that when a woman has a healthy, curvy body they're called fat because they don't look like a laboratory skeleton.

I like curves. I like Scarjo's curves. But reading that article, all they can harp on is cellulite and how proud they are that Scarlett is "ok with being fat."

Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #293
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Grargh, articles like that are so ridiculous.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #294
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Marvel is going to premiere a new 3-issue miniseries focusing on Black Widow and set in the MCU called To Russia with Guns: The Black Widow Strikes.

Here's a nice excerpt:

Quote:
As the sole female of the Avengers, and one of two without super powers, Black Widow might stand out to some who don’t know her comic past, but Van Lente promises that this comic and the upcoming movie will show how vital she really is to the team.

“I took my inspiration for this series from Joss Whedon’s script for 'Marvel's the Avengers,' which I was lucky enough to read,” reveals Van Lente. "He does a good job making her inclusion on the team perfectly believable.”

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #295
Godzilla2000
Angry Kaiju

Quote:
I like curves. I like Scarjo's curves. But reading that article, all they can harp on is cellulite and how proud they are that Scarlett is "ok with being fat."
Sounds like pretty much a backhanded compliment from that person that wrote that little blurb.

- I'd say he's the ragiest but Rajang takes that top spot.

- All I see are people who are making me the unhappiest that I've been in decades. I'd rather be alone than make disrespectful jerks happy.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #296
Chewy
REDACTED

Looks like Whedon's done her proud

Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #297
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I know Joss whedon would do good by her.As only female member of the team he was bound to give her some decent stuff to do.Scarlett looks sexy and badass In latest trailer.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 02-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #298
The Morningstar
Banned User

Very impressed with what i saw of Black Widow in the trailer. Before that, didn't really give a **** about her.

I get the sense that BW and Hawkeye will be uneasy and doubting themselves, which is a cool bit of meta commentary, seeing as a lot of people are questioning how effective they'd be.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #299
kvz5
HBIC

ScarJo delivered. I loved all her scenes in the new trailer.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #300
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

I knew ScarJo/Black Widow had the potential to deliver. I want to see more of her.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Closed Thread