The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #276
Lorus
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 271
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The faithfulness of an adaptation is not necessarily in the specifics, but rather in the spirit and tone and "feel" of the whole
Exactly. The makeup of the roster is pretty immaterial when it comes down to it. Fidelity to the comics is always defined arbitrarily by fans, should the villains be the same as those in issue 1? Should each character be defined by the same characteristics they were in their first issues? Should costume designs be the same etc etc.

I think at the end of the day, Hawkeye and Black Widow are both more than deserving of the Avengers title and if they're portrayed well then there is no problem.

Lorus is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #277
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,463
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
They probably just figured trying to shove two additional characters into the movie, on top of the dozen or so characters around whom the plot is structured, wasn't a particularly good idea. Especially if the only reason for adding them would just be so that they're there

They recognized that outside of the Big Three the Avengers has had a largely rotating cast.
They liked the idea of Nick Fury and his top two SHIELD agents, longtime Avengers in their own rights, organizing the team to avert a disaster.
And they wanted to involve the Hulk as he's a popular character with strong brand recognition outside of comic book fans, who's been involved in essentially every telling and retelling of the Avengers origin story

I don't see what's controversial about the characters they chose to focus on, and the ones that they chose to write out

The faithfulness of an adaptation is not necessarily in the specifics, but rather in the spirit and tone and "feel" of the whole
Hank and Janet never rotated out.
Hank got booted out occasionally when he went schizo, but after "rehab," he was allowed back in.
Wasp has always been a permanent fixture in the Avengers Mansion. On up until Bendisvengers, anyway.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #278
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

They were rotated out by issue 16.

EVERYONE got rotated out at one point or another. The point is that the big three remained the faces and fixtures of the team, even when not on it. Characters like Wasp and Hank Pym were essentially in the background most of the time. Yes they were explored and central from time to time over the hundreds of issues. But this is a two and a half hour movie, there aren't hundreds of issues with which to explore such characters.

I think if you look at that previous post in its entirety, and don't just try to argue the rotation aspect of it, the points stand.

Chewy is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #279
batdude
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Albq. New Mexico
Posts: 1,471
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

I think they realized everybody would complain if Cap wasn't in it. You know I would have liked it if all that Giant Man/Nathan Fillion talk was true. and Wasp would have been a great role for Eliza Dushku or Summer Glau. There is always sequels though.

batdude is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #280
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
They probably just figured trying to shove two additional characters into the movie, on top of the dozen or so characters around whom the plot is structured, wasn't a particularly good idea. Especially if the only reason for adding them would just be so that they're there

They recognized that outside of the Big Three the Avengers has had a largely rotating cast.
They liked the idea of Nick Fury and his top two SHIELD agents, longtime Avengers in their own rights, organizing the team to avert a disaster.
And they wanted to involve the Hulk as he's a popular character with strong brand recognition outside of comic book fans, who's been involved in essentially every telling and retelling of the Avengers origin story

I don't see what's controversial about the characters they chose to focus on, and the ones that they chose to write out

The faithfulness of an adaptation is not necessarily in the specifics, but rather in the spirit and tone and "feel" of the whole
Agreed

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #281
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,463
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
They were rotated out by issue 16.

EVERYONE got rotated out at one point or another. The point is that the big three remained the faces and fixtures of the team, even when not on it. Characters like Wasp and Hank Pym were essentially in the background most of the time. Yes they were explored and central from time to time over the hundreds of issues. But this is a two and a half hour movie, there aren't hundreds of issues with which to explore such characters.

I think if you look at that previous post in its entirety, and don't just try to argue the rotation aspect of it, the points stand.

I've personally got no problem at all with the lineup they chose to go with. But I'm merely defending the inclusion of Hank and Janet in the Avengers eventually, by at least Avengers 2, because it just makes sense. It's like doing the Justice League without Wonder Woman, or the Fantastic Four without Sue Storm. Hank and Janet *are* the Avengers. When you think Avengers, those are two of the core characters that come to mind along with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Tigra, She-Hulk, the Captain Marvels, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, and Wonder Man. And Jarvis and Rick Jones. Those have been the quintessential core group for generations of Avengers fans.

I just find it ridiculous that I'm HAVING to actually defend the inclusion of Hank and Janet in a goddam Avengers movie. The people who are saying that they don't belong there or that they just don't like the idea of them in the Avengers movies are just....mind-boggling.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #282
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I've personally got no problem at all with the lineup they chose to go with. But I'm merely defending the inclusion of Hank and Janet in the Avengers eventually, by at least Avengers 2, because it just makes sense. It's like doing the Justice League without Wonder Woman, or the Fantastic Four without Sue Storm. Hank and Janet *are* the Avengers. When you think Avengers, those are two of the core characters that come to mind along with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Tigra, She-Hulk, the Captain Marvels, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, and Wonder Man. And Jarvis and Rick Jones. Those have been the quintessential core group for generations of Avengers fans.

I just find it ridiculous that I'm HAVING to actually defend the inclusion of Hank and Janet in a goddam Avengers movie. The people who are saying that they don't belong there or that they just don't like the idea of them in the Avengers movies are just....mind-boggling.
I agree with you on this, because if it were up to me Janet and Hank would definately be in the film and as a matter of fact I really would like to see them in Avengers 2.

Along with Ultron as the main villain

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #283
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,463
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I agree with you on this, because if it were up to me Janet and Hank would definately be in the film and as a matter of fact I really would like to see them in Avengers 2.

Along with Ultron as the main villain

Yup, Ultron's a great call.
Personally, I hope the villain(s) for Avengers 2 *are* more terrestrial in origin, like Ultron; because I don't want to see the sequel turn out yet another alien invasion. I don't want Avengers to seem like a one-trick pony.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #284
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,180
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I agree with you on this, because if it were up to me Janet and Hank would definately be in the film and as a matter of fact I really would like to see them in Avengers 2.

Along with Ultron as the main villain
Agreed

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline  
Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #285
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yup, Ultron's a great call.
Personally, I hope the villain(s) for Avengers 2 *are* more terrestrial in origin, like Ultron; because I don't want to see the sequel turn out yet another alien invasion. I don't want Avengers to seem like a one-trick pony.
Exactly, it seems like everyone else wants the Kree/Skull war to happen in Avengers 2 but I think more "alien invasian/war" type stuff should be saved for Avengers 3.

I agree that The Avengers need to take a break from aliens for the second film because we don't want it to see like the "same ol' same ol".

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #286
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,044
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

I hope she gets her own film after this one!

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #287
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,634
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Our favourite Black Widow recently went to the beach.

http://www.thesuperficial.com/photos...bikini-0212-00

AnneFan is offline  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #288
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,184
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Our favourite Black Widow recently went to the beach.

http://www.thesuperficial.com/photos...bikini-0212-00
niiiiiice!

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #289
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,634
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Found a better link, HQ pictures.

http://hq-celebrity.com/new-bikini-p...son/#more-7460

AnneFan is offline  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #290
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,463
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post

Was there any purpose to this article other than for them to say "ewwww cellulite lololol"....?

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #291
Godzilla2000
Angry Kaiju
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Destroying everything in my path.
Posts: 6,710
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Was there any purpose to this article other than for them to say "ewwww cellulite lololol"....?
You have to be kidding me...this again? It's getting so that when a woman has a healthy, curvy body they're called fat because they don't look like a laboratory skeleton.

__________________
Meet the Brachydios!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- I'd say he's the ragiest but Rajang takes that top spot.

- All I see are people who are making me the unhappiest that I've been in decades. I'd rather be alone than make disrespectful jerks happy.
Godzilla2000 is online now  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #292
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,463
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
You have to be kidding me...this again? It's getting so that when a woman has a healthy, curvy body they're called fat because they don't look like a laboratory skeleton.

I like curves. I like Scarjo's curves. But reading that article, all they can harp on is cellulite and how proud they are that Scarlett is "ok with being fat."

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #293
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym
 
Son of Coul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,494
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Grargh, articles like that are so ridiculous.

Son of Coul is online now  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #294
Raiden
What a bunch of...
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,971
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Marvel is going to premiere a new 3-issue miniseries focusing on Black Widow and set in the MCU called To Russia with Guns: The Black Widow Strikes.

Here's a nice excerpt:

Quote:
As the sole female of the Avengers, and one of two without super powers, Black Widow might stand out to some who don’t know her comic past, but Van Lente promises that this comic and the upcoming movie will show how vital she really is to the team.

“I took my inspiration for this series from Joss Whedon’s script for 'Marvel's the Avengers,' which I was lucky enough to read,” reveals Van Lente. "He does a good job making her inclusion on the team perfectly believable.”

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #295
Godzilla2000
Angry Kaiju
 
Godzilla2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Destroying everything in my path.
Posts: 6,710
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I like curves. I like Scarjo's curves. But reading that article, all they can harp on is cellulite and how proud they are that Scarlett is "ok with being fat."
Sounds like pretty much a backhanded compliment from that person that wrote that little blurb.

__________________
Meet the Brachydios!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- I'd say he's the ragiest but Rajang takes that top spot.

- All I see are people who are making me the unhappiest that I've been in decades. I'd rather be alone than make disrespectful jerks happy.
Godzilla2000 is online now  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #296
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Looks like Whedon's done her proud

Chewy is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #297
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,111
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

I know Joss whedon would do good by her.As only female member of the team he was bound to give her some decent stuff to do.Scarlett looks sexy and badass In latest trailer.


Last edited by marvelrobbins; 02-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
marvelrobbins is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #298
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,151
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Very impressed with what i saw of Black Widow in the trailer. Before that, didn't really give a **** about her.

I get the sense that BW and Hawkeye will be uneasy and doubting themselves, which is a cool bit of meta commentary, seeing as a lot of people are questioning how effective they'd be.

The Morningstar is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #299
kvz5
HBIC
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,278
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

ScarJo delivered. I loved all her scenes in the new trailer.

kvz5 is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #300
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron
 
Iron_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Avengers Tower
Posts: 5,654
Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

I knew ScarJo/Black Widow had the potential to deliver. I want to see more of her.

__________________
Iron Man Three - May 3, 2013
Thor: The Dark World - November 8, 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.