Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #101
Sam
Im Always Around

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djingo View Post
Call me stupid or whatever but who is that?
Don't tell me that's Cavill hey ?!
No, its me.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #102
strib
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
Nice.

Though I, too, am confused by the way the blue overlaps the red, particularly the trunk area where it looks like someone took a chunk out of either side of his torso. Is there an original post with your thoughts on that, Strib?

Oh, and lastly... Michael Shannon?

It's a multi-layered suit...just not in the way you're used to seeing it. I don't know who Michael Shannon is.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #103
cas
Side-Kick

@ Brian Bradock,Indy1jones, SHIELD & BenB, thanks for the support on the previous page guys

@ djingo & Zero Ethic, thanks for clearing up what you meant, I was oversensitive with your comments (long day at work!), happy (normally) to take critique, good or bad

Old 04-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #104
SuperDaniel
Banned User

My only complaints about your manip is that you chose one of the WORST Cavill pic ever for the face and the cape attachment is a mess.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #105
cas
Side-Kick

Love your work strib, the bit that most catches my eye is how you've done the shorts & belt, very original and most importanly works from a design point of view, great work

PS: would love to see what that looks like in a (photo based) manip

Quote:
Originally Posted by strib View Post
As usual...I prefer that my image be left as I intend it. Thanks all...

Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #106
SuperDaniel
Banned User

That is just the classic costume with different materials. Dont know what so special about it. I personally dont care for all the extra seams and lines but im not bothered by them. Feels like unnecessary changes, imo. I really like that the S is the classic one and not some warped version.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #107
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
That is just the classic costume with different materials. Dont know what so special about it.
I think that's what he was going for, to take the basic colors and silhouette and reinterpret them as if Clark were deciding to be Superman today. It fits the "blur" test (squint and see if it still looks like Superman to you) but without being anachronistic.

Quote:
It's a multi-layered suit...just not in the way you're used to seeing it. I don't know who Michael Shannon is.
Cool. Well again I dig it, it's just not what the eye is used to, you're right about that.

Michael Shannon's in Revolutionary Road, and I think someone else said Boardwalk Empire. A really good actor but basically he resembles your manip (Google hin in "Groundhog Day", pretty much the spitting image).

Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #108
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
That is just the classic costume with different materials. Dont know what so special about it. I personally dont care for all the extra seams and lines but im not bothered by them. Feels like unnecessary changes, imo. I really like that the S is the classic one and not some warped version.
As far as the \S/ goes, it's a little more broad on the sides and doesn't come down so sharp on the abdomen... Kinda like the Earth One \S/, the only thing they got right, IMHO...

And the seams don't bug me.... But multi-layered or not, the blue parts look like outside prosthetic pieces, and I see them moving like Robocop's legs... And that is the only bad thing I have to say about that design...

Otherwise, beautiful, especially if we're just talking about artistmanship... I've always wanted to say that word too, like workmanship for the artists...

Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #109
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Wait a minute... I just noticed how on the boot of the right leg the brighter red blends in with the cape and makes it look like the blue hangs over it, even though upon closer inspection you can see that the boot actually runs parallel to the dark red and makes sense according to below the cape...

Is that what's supposed to be happening with the undies? It'd make a little more sense...

Otherwise the shading's a little off on that boot :P

Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #110
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

And the shading on the \S/ doesn't make sense, but that's just nitpicking...

Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #111
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

And unfortunately it falls on me to be the one who notices... But you're Kryptonians definitely have no weiners...

Lois and Clark must be eternal 13 yr olds...

Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #112
verisimilitude
"Great Shades of Elvis"

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...-superman-suit

NEW CONCEPT COSTUME?

Looks like the suit may be a different/ "new" concept to what we have been envisioning, but I pinch of salt guys ...

Henry Cavill on the superman costume screentest: "For the screen test, we did have a replica made up of the old Chris Reeve suit and um, that was, that was it we didn't have any of the new concept stuff attached"

"New concept stuff" - now he could just mean an altered or modified classic suit, or we may end up getting something entirely different, which I am not so happy about. But knowing Synder, I hope it will be a faithful rendition of the most recognisable superhero costume on the face of the planet.

<V>

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #113
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones View Post
Edit Of That Pic. Face And Colors.

I Like Something Like This But Thats Just Me.

Feel Free For Your Opinions.

And Thats Cavill Believe Me.
I'd say go with something like this...simple and straight-forward and definitely Superman in the classic sense. No seams or extra jointed sections on the tights, etc.. The only thing I'd say is make the belt less pronounced.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #114
cas
Side-Kick

Totally agree
Quote:
My only complaints about your manip is that you chose one of the WORST Cavill pic ever for the face and the cape attachment is a mess.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #115
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by verisimilitude View Post
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...-superman-suit

NEW CONCEPT COSTUME?

Looks like the suit may be a different/ "new" concept to what we have been envisioning, but I pinch of salt guys ...

Henry Cavill on the superman costume screentest: "For the screen test, we did have a replica made up of the old Chris Reeve suit and um, that was, that was it we didn't have any of the new concept stuff attached"

"New concept stuff" - now he could just mean an altered or modified classic suit, or we may end up getting something entirely different, which I am not so happy about. But knowing Synder, I hope it will be a faithful rendition of the most recognisable superhero costume on the face of the planet.

<V>
it will be faithful. the "new concept stuff" he's talking about doesn't mean they'll be going "Tim Burton" on us. it just means they didn't have a tweaked/finalized suit for him to use. they just used a default, generic Superman suit.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #116
strib
Side-Kick

I made a few more adjustments, as it seemed my intentions weren't exactly clear. This is still a soft material suit...alien perhaps, but not armor. It is multi-layerd: Red body suit from the neck to the toes. Blue layer covering the upper legs and the torso/arms (except a open area for the shield). They yellow bits in the S are sculptural. Kryptonian? Maybe.

Also, this is Cavill. - M

Quote:
As usual...I prefer that my image be left as I intend it. Thanks all...

Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #117
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
it will be faithful. the "new concept stuff" he's talking about doesn't mean they'll be going "Tim Burton" on us. it just means they didn't have a tweaked/finalized suit for him to use. they just used a default, generic Superman suit.
It's also important to note that when you design a costume, you don't just draw it and say "there you go, make that" You have to design the method of construction and which materials will be used. So even if they use the classic costume, they would still have to 'design' it for construction.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #118
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post

That's how I read it, New materials, colour values, visible musculature, etc. but I could certainly see someone interpreting what Henry said " New Concept" as it's a totally different look. He's probably just saying it isn't CR's costume. It could be a Swan/Lee blend though.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #119
Superman_20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
Damn... Francis Manapul could make a sh** sandwich look tasty if he drew it...
it wouldn't be too hard to make a manip of that would it?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #120
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

This is what I'd like to see. I know I've posted it before but this what I see when I see Superman.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #121
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, that's how a Superman costume should be. I consider the Superman costume to be one of the few costumes that should not be changed at all when making the transition to the big screen.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #122
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I know that Superman should have a recognizable costume but to say that it shouldn't be changed at all is a bit of a stretch since it has slight changes in the comics when new artists draw him...

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 04-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #123
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Evans View Post
I know that Superman should have a recognizable costume but to say that it shouldn't be changed at all is a bit of a stretch since it has slight changes in the comics when new artists draw him...
I chalk that up to variation in the artists style rather than actual change.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #124
Zachhelms
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Yeah, that's how a Superman costume should be. I consider the Superman costume to be one of the few costumes that should not be changed at all when making the transition to the big screen.
You don't feel that it is a bit dated?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #125
JAKŪ
Upstart

It's not dated because there was no point in history where people actually dressed like that. It's no more dated than Mickey Mouse is dated.

Closed Thread