The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #301
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

So what if Joker fancied her? He saw her as his potential new "art project". We also see Napier is a bit of a pretentious yuppie who was into art before he became Joker. That carried over to when he became Joker but in a twisted way. Vicki was an artist and in some weird way he respected that.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #302
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
You obviously missed the part where she was following him into crime alley and taking pictures of him laying roses there with THAT look on his face.

"What do you think something like that would do to a kid"
Nope she said "Look at the look on the face, it was the same in front of city hall". Not the alley way.

Soz.

Quote:
Not really. It was fantastic acting by Keaton and showed a real human side to Bruce Wayne.
Heh no way Jose. It was a cheese fest that's why you never see Bruce Wayne scenes like that because it ain't how Bruce Wayne acts. Even campy Batman never has Bruce act like a doof like that.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #303
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
So what if Joker fancied her?
Joker shouldn't be taking fancies to random blond chicks he thinks look tasty.

Quote:
He saw her as his potential new "art project". We also see Napier is a bit of a pretentious yuppie who was into art before he became Joker. That carried over to when he became Joker but in a twisted way. Vicki was an artist and in some weird way he respected that.
Nope he never even saw her work until he had arranged to meet her in the museum. He saw her pic ages before this and was all:


Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #304
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Who cares if he was a douche? He was the one spearheading all the Batman stories in Gotham. He was famous for it.
He wrote one story on Batman. One.

Quote:
Vicki was a Johnny come lately arrival in Gotham.
Joker didn't know that.

Quote:
Knox was the one who was the more logical one to pursue if indeed he wanted Batman info.
Not necessarily. All Joker knew about what Knox knew was in his story on Batman. And that Vicki was the "photographer working with Knox".

Quote:
No, he was annoyed because their "date" was cut short. That's why he was playing romantic music again on the stereo and even brought her a gift of roses.
He does that **** 'cause he's Joker.

Quote:
That is not what happened at all. He didn't need a hostage to cover anything. Hr thought Batman was dead. It wasn't until they were half way up the tower and he heard Batman knock over the pews did he know he was still alive.
Even if knew Batman was dead, what about the cops?

Quote:
He took Vicki with him because he fancied her.

"I'm about to get a new girl, Bobby"

Again all spelled out in the movie. Plain as day.
Again, he's Joker, he says does stuff like that all the time.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #305
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Aaaaand the problem with that is? Vicki Vale was ****ing hot. Why wouldn't her fancy her? And the delusional nut case that he is, why not think he could seduce her?

Joker had more reason to fancy Vicki Vale than Bruce Wayne had to fancy Rachel Dawes.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes

Last edited by The Endless; 04-28-2014 at 10:05 AM.
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #306
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Nope she said "Look at the look on the face, it was the same in front of city hall". Not the alley way.

Soz.
She followed him into crime alley and took pictures of him putting roses down. Why are you denying this? Are we in bizarro world or something? She saw the significance that place had for him.


Quote:
Heh no way Jose. It was a cheese fest that's why you never see Bruce Wayne scenes like that because it ain't how Bruce Wayne acts. Even campy Batman never has Bruce act like a doof like that.
He wasn't acting like a doof. He was acting like a real human being about to reveal the biggest secret of his life to someone.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #307
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Aaaaand the problem with that is? Vicki Vale was ****ing hot. Why wouldn't her fancy her? And the delusional nut case that he is, why not think he could seduce her?
Yeah but look what he did to Alicia. He wanted to do that to Vicki too, and would have if Batman hadn't interrupted him.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #308
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Well yea, he wanted to make her his next "project".

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #309
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,974
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
He wrote one story on Batman. One.
Vicki: "I'm intrigued by Alex's giant bat stories"

Quote:
Joker didn't know that.
He didn't know her at all. But he knew Knox was the one with the tap on Batman, that's why he sent Bob after him in the first place.

His only interest in Vicki was a romantic one.

Quote:
Not necessarily. All Joker knew about what Knox knew was in his story on Batman. And that Vicki was the "photographer working with Knox".
What does that even mean? Joker knew Knox by enough by reputation for his Batman stories to send Bob after him. He didn't know Vicki from Adam.

Quote:
He does that **** 'cause he's Joker.
No, he did it because he fancied her.

Quote:
Even if knew Batman was dead, what about the cops?
What about them? He blocked them off by knocking the bell down and destroying the stairs. He didn't need Vicki for that.

Quote:
Again, he's Joker, he says does stuff like that all the time.
No, he doesn't. Name three instances where Joker is always going looking for new girls.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #310
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Aaaaand the problem with that is? Vicki Vale was ****ing hot. Why wouldn't her fancy her? And the delusional nut case that he is, why not think he could seduce her?
Gotham is full of hot chicks. Why isn't he out trying to get it on with all of them?

Yup makes no sense. It ain't how the J-Man works.

Quote:
Joker had more reason to fancy Vicki Vale than Bruce Wayne had to fancy Rachel Dawes.
Pfffftttt no he didn't. Rachel was Bruce's best friend since they were kiddies. Joker didn't know nothin' about Vicki. He just saw a hot chick and was like yup I'll have her.

Lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
She followed him into crime alley and took pictures of him putting roses down. Why are you denying this? Are we in bizarro world or something? She saw the significance that place had for him.
Nope she followed him into the alley, saw him leave roses, got Knox to check out the alley. Knox found the info and told her what happened. She didn't recognize any look from the alley. She recognized some look he had at city hall.

All this was fluff filler. We got the full picture from Brucie's flashback. All the Vicki stuff was just telling us his folks were killed there. We didn't need her to get to know that basic bit of info.

Quote:
He wasn't acting like a doof. He was acting like a real human being about to reveal the biggest secret of his life to someone.
Yup he was acting like a doof. Bruce doesn't stumble over his words and make stupid analogies about eating brekkie and going to a job. He just says what he wants to say if he really wants to say it.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #311
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Vicki: "I'm intrigued by Alex's giant bat stories"
Nah, pretty sure the actual quote is: "I'm intrigued by Alex's giant bat story,"

Quote:
He didn't know her at all. But he knew Knox was the one with the tap on Batman, that's why he sent Bob after him in the first place.
He didn't know that. Besides, maybe he was planning on going after Vicki first then Knox.

Quote:
His only interest in Vicki was a romantic one.
You have no proof of that.

Quote:
What does that even mean? Joker knew Knox by enough by reputation for his Batman stories to send Bob after him. He didn't know Vicki from Adam.
Again, he only wrote one Batman story. That's all Joker knew.


Quote:
No, he did it because he fancied her.
Again, provide proof.

Quote:
What about them? He blocked them off by knocking the bell down and destroying the stairs. He didn't need Vicki for that.
Not until he got to the top of the tower, though.

Quote:
No, he doesn't. Name three instances where Joker is always going looking for new girls.
No, I meant that he jokes around like that all the time. Hence the name, "Joker".

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #312
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Gotham is full of hot chicks. Why isn't he out trying to get it on with all of them?

Yup makes no sense. It ain't how the J-Man works.
It's how THIS J-Man works. It's still a valid interpretation of the character, as is Ledger's, as is Romero's.


Quote:
Pfffftttt no he didn't. Rachel was Bruce's best friend since they were kiddies. Joker didn't know nothin' about Vicki. He just saw a hot chick and was like yup I'll have her.

Lame.
He's insane... why not? Maybe he has a thing for photographers too?

Rachel Dawes is ugly as sin and has the personality of a mop bucket.


Quote:
Nope she followed him into the alley, saw him leave roses, got Knox to check out the alley. Knox found the info and told her what happened. She didn't recognize any look from the alley. She recognized some look he had at city hall.

All this was fluff filler. We got the full picture from Brucie's flashback.
How is this fluff filler? It was all building up to that flashback. It was deconstructing Bruce Wayne, showing us the significance of crime alley, keeping it a mystery until we actually see the flashback.

It's called story telling.

Quote:
Yup he was acting like a doof. Bruce doesn't stumble over his words and make stupid analogies about eating brekkie and going to a job. He just says what he wants to say if he really wants to say it.
Why not? Public Bruce Wayne wouldn't sure, but this is the real human being Bruce Wayne in an intimate moment. The facade is slipping. It makes him a more three dimensional REAL character.

I could count a dozen things Nolan's Bruce Wayne/Batman does that i think are out of character. Maybe more.

Retiring and ****ing off to Italy with a woman he barely knows and leaving his legend to an untrained cop he barely knows is one of them...

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #313
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,974
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Nah, pretty sure the actual quote is: "I'm intrigued by Alex's giant bat story,"
I'm pretty sure it's stories. But look at the evidence in the movie. Would Vicki come to Gotham because of one random story? Would Napier think Knox is worth following because he published one story?

Quote:
He didn't know that. Besides, maybe he was planning on going after Vicki first then Knox.
That's conjecture. You can only judge the movie by what it presents. It never presented anything like that. It showed Joker wanted Vicki because he fancied her. It showed him send Bob to follow Knox because of Batman.

Quote:
You have no proof of that.
You mean apart from his various quotes that he thinks she's hot, she's going to be his new girl, playing romantic music around her, candlelight dinner, bringing her flowers saying they were made for each other etc.

Quote:
Again, he only wrote one Batman story. That's all Joker knew.
Even if you were right about that, it was obviously enough for him to have Bob follow him.

Quote:
Again, provide proof.
I have several times with quotes and facts from the movie. You keep disregarding it with unfounded theories and just accusing Joker of joking.

Quote:
Not until he got to the top of the tower, though.
Of course. You can't knock the bell down from the bottom can you.

Quote:
No, I meant that he jokes around like that all the time. Hence the name, "Joker".
Just because he's called Joker doesn't mean he doesn't mean everything he says is a joke and untrue. By that logic you can disregard everything he says in the movie. His actions matched his words on this. He was trying to romance Vicki in his own sick way, and he blatantly fancied her.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #314
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
It's how THIS J-Man works.
One reason why he sucks.

Quote:
He's insane... why not? Maybe he has a thing for photographers too?
That's a weak sauce excuse. He's nuts so he just does it. Nope soz doesn't wash.

Quote:
Rachel Dawes is ugly as sin and has the personality of a mop bucket.
Pfffftttt says you.

Quote:
How is this fluff filler? It was all building up to that flashback. It was deconstructing Bruce Wayne, showing us the significance of crime alley, keeping it a mystery until we actually see the flashback.

It's called story telling.
Nope it's called filler. There was no build up. There was one scene where she follows him, then the scene where Knox tells her what he's found followed by the flashback.

There was no deconstruction of Wayne. All it told us was he folks were killed there.

Quote:
Why not? Public Bruce Wayne wouldn't sure, but this is the real human being Bruce Wayne in an intimate moment. The facade is slipping. It makes him a more three dimensional REAL character.
Nope even real Bruce Wayne ain't the world stumbly insecure. This was Peter Parker behavior.

Quote:
I could count a dozen things Nolan's Bruce Wayne/Batman does that i think are out of character. Maybe more.

Retiring and ****ing off to Italy with a woman he barely knows and leaving his legend to an untrained cop he barely knows is one of them...
Heh but revealing his secret to a chick he barely knows, and who's also a member of the press is more in character? Selina saved Brucie's bacon from Bane, and then helped him save the whole city. There's a bazillion more reasons for him to trust her and retire with her than go and reveal his secret to random photographer chick he had a night of drunken sex with heh.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #315
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I'm pretty sure it's stories. But look at the evidence in the movie. Would Vicki come to Gotham because of one random story? Would Napier think Knox is worth following because he published one story?
Napier thought Knox was worth following because Batman dropped him into the acid, and Knox was (then) his only link to find out more about Batman.

Vicki came to Gotham because she "likes bats", and was intrigued by Alex's story.



Quote:
That's conjecture. You can only judge the movie by what it presents. It never presented anything like that. It showed Joker wanted Vicki because he fancied her.
That's conjecture too.

Quote:
You mean apart from his various quotes that he thinks she's hot, she's going to be his new girl, playing romantic music around her, candlelight dinner, bringing her flowers saying they were made for each other etc.
Again, he jokes around a lot. You really think he was serious?


Quote:
Even if you were right about that, it was obviously enough for him to have Bob follow him.
Yeah, because again, at that point in time he was the only link he had to find out more about the guy who dropped him into the acid.

Quote:
I have several times with quotes and facts from the movie. You keep disregarding it with unfounded theories and just accusing Joker of joking.
You have to separate 'facts' from 'quotes'. Quotes can be character-based, and not necessarily always explaining plot points.

Quote:
Of course. You can't knock the bell down from the bottom can you.
And that's relevant, how?

Quote:
Just because he's called Joker doesn't mean he doesn't mean everything he says is a joke and untrue. By that logic you can disregard everything he says in the movie. His actions matched his words on this. He was trying to romance Vicki in his own sick way, and he blatantly fancied her.
Ok, that's your opinion. I've already argued my case.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #316
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,974
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Napier thought Knox was worth following because Batman dropped him into the acid, and Knox was (then) his only link to find out more about Batman.
He was having Knox followed because he was the reporter infamous for doing the Batman stories. Not Vicki. Why? Because she never did one before. She was new to Gotham. She never even snapped a photo of Batman. That's why he never heard of her.

The Cops recognized Knox. He obviously quizzed them many times about it based on Gordon's "Knox, for the 9th time there is no Bat. If there was we would find him and arrest him". One of them even tipped him off about the latest Batman sighting. His colleagues mock him for it.

This is not the signs of someone who wrote just one story.

Quote:
Vicki came to Gotham because she "likes bats", and was intrigued by Alex's story.
So?

Quote:
That's conjecture too.
Based on his dialogue and actions no it's not. It's fact.

Quote:
Again, he jokes around a lot. You really think he was serious?
Absolutely since his actions supported his words.

Quote:
Yeah, because again, at that point in time he was the only link he had to find out more about the guy who dropped him into the acid.
And he still was since he never tried to use Vicki to get to Batman. He asked her ONCE very briefly in the middle of their dinner date what she knew of Batman. That's it. He never tried to pump her for info on Batman. Even after Batman foiled his Smilex plan.

Quote:
You have to separate 'facts' from 'quotes'. Quotes can be character-based, and not necessarily always explaining plot points.
Explain how his quotes on this don't support his actions. Did he say he fancied her? Yes. Did he try and romance her? Yes. Did he try and make her his new girl? Yes.

All you're saying is he is probably joking with nothing to back that up.

Quote:
And that's relevant, how?
Because you can't block the Cops coming up using the bell from the bottom of the stairs lol.

Quote:
Ok, that's your opinion. I've already argued my case.
Sure.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #317
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Let me ask you a question:

When Joker (Heath Ledger) in The Dark Knight said "Hello beautiful.", "And you are beautiful.", "See, I had a wife — beautiful, like you", fixed his hair as if trying to make himself more attractive for her, said "You got a little fight in you, I like that."........

.....was because he fancied her?

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #318
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 37,974
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Let me ask you a question:

When Joker (Heath Ledger) in The Dark Knight said "Hello beautiful.", "And you are beautiful.", "See, I had a wife — beautiful, like you", fixed his hair as if trying to make himself more attractive for her, said "You got a little fight in you, I like that."........

.....was because he fancied her?
Yes it's possible. It's also possible he was lying and play acting so he could conjure up a scars story to terrify her with. But just because he thinks someone is attractive doesn't mean he's going to pursue them romantically.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #319
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Anyway, I rest my case. I've got nothing more add.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #320
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16,906
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

My point, is that both Vicki and Rachel are damsels in distress. It doesn't matter if you can buy into Rachel's character more, she is still a damsel in distress, and they play her that way countless amount if times.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #321
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Just one more thing: I was wrong about Knox only having one story on Batman. I just watched the movie, after the Axis Chemicals scene, Knox writes another article "Batman Foils Robbery". That's the article that probably drew Joker's attention.

EDIT: Of course, I'm also forgetting the "Winged Freak Terrorises" ("Wait'll they get a load of me") scene..

EDIT: I also thought of another reason why Joker would go after Vicki - she helped publish the story cracking Joker's poison code.


Last edited by CountOrlok; 04-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.
CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #322
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
One reason why he sucks.
Says you. The vast majority of people disagree. Jack helped turn Joker into a pop culture icon.

That Joker was great. He was used in a satirical fashion perfect for the excesses of the 80s and early 90s. You think it's a coincidence his plots involved poisoning make-up and luring people to their deaths with money?


Quote:
That's a weak sauce excuse. He's nuts so he just does it. Nope soz doesn't wash.
What's Ledger's Jokers excuse for... anything he does? He actually says it "I just do things"

Your Nolan bias is beginning to show i'm afraid. If Nolan made Batman 89 i have a feeling you'd be defending 89 and deriding TDK


Quote:
Pfffftttt says you.
Yes says me... and the vast majority of people who think Rachel Dawes is the weakest aspect of the entire trilogy. Rightly so.

Quote:
Nope it's called filler. There was no build up. There was one scene where she follows him, then the scene where Knox tells her what he's found followed by the flashback.
You're being wilfully obtuse. It isn't filler, it's story telling. It's the way the film makers chose to explore Batman's origins. And it's a perfectly valid one with artistic integrity. It chooses to explore it as a mystery, a mystery the character Vicki unravels and the viewer witnesses.

Quote:
Nope even real Bruce Wayne ain't the world stumbly insecure. This was Peter Parker behavior.
Who says? Bruce Wayne isn't a real person, he's a fictional character. This interpretation has a scene where he has real human foibles and struggles to reveal his greatest, darkest secret.

Quote:
Heh but revealing his secret to a chick he barely knows, and who's also a member of the press is more in character? Selina saved Brucie's bacon from Bane, and then helped him save the whole city. There's a bazillion more reasons for him to trust her and retire with her than go and reveal his secret to random photographer chick he had a night of drunken sex with heh.
Selina saved Brucie's bacon from Bane? Yea, after she initially led him into a trap and left him for dead.

There was more to the Vicki-Bruce relationship than just drunken sex. It just isn't spelt out to us with dialogue. It's in the actors chemistry and their actions. For example, Bruce obviously trusts Vicki enough to give her his research on the Joker poison, including the keys to combating/countering it.

And at least Burton's Batman didn't want to retire and leave his legend in the hands of an untrained nobody cop and was actually obsessed with his crusade, as he should be. At least we was shown the significance of his parents death by him going to crime alley and laying roses there. Instead of just being told about it in fleeting dialogue exchanges. Nolan's Batman isn't driven by the death of his parents. He doesn't seem too pained by it. He's more concerned with falling in love and passing the Batman mantle on to someone else.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes

Last edited by The Endless; 04-28-2014 at 01:31 PM.
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #323
Fudgie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Says you. The vast majority of people disagree. Jack helped turn Joker into a pop culture icon.
Heh the vast majority love McDonalds too it don't mean it's a great restaurant.

Jack is the icon. Heh one of the most common complaints was that it was just Jack playing himself. Joker was already an icon thanks to the 60's show, just like Bats was. What 89 Batman did was get rid of the campy image most peeps had of Batman.

Quote:
That Joker was great.
Nope he sucked. Prince music, art obsession, following Vicki around. Bleh.

Quote:
He was used in a satirical fashion perfect for the excesses of the 80s and early 90s. You think it's a coincidence his plots involved poisoning make-up and luring people to their deaths with money?
Nope I just thought it was dullsville. His smilex plan is beaten really quickly, and his parade one even quicker. Big fat meh.

Quote:
What's Ledger's Jokers excuse for... anything he does? He actually says it "I just do things"
He says that to Dent along with a bunch of other lies he tells him to mess with his mind. Joker always had a purpose and a reason for doing what he did in the movie.

Quote:
Your Nolan bias is beginning to show i'm afraid.
Heh how because I think Batman '89 is lame-o I must be Nolan biased?

Holy fanboy denial, Batman.

Quote:
If Nolan made Batman 89 i have a feeling you'd be defending 89 and deriding TDK
Don't trust your feelings. They're waaaaaaay off. Outside of Batman and Planet of the Apes and I like Burton's movies.

Quote:
Yes says me... and the vast majority of people who think Rachel Dawes is the weakest aspect of the entire trilogy. Rightly so.
Heh just because she's the weakest element don't mean she's terrible. It just means there's stronger characters than her.

Soz.

Quote:
You're being wilfully obtuse. It isn't filler, it's story telling. It's the way the film makers chose to explore Batman's origins. And it's a perfectly valid one with artistic integrity. It chooses to explore it as a mystery, a mystery the character Vicki unravels and the viewer witnesses.
It is filler and it ain't an exploration or unravelling of Batman's origin. It just tells us his folks were killed in an alley. The flashback is the big unveiling, even showing us it was Joker who killed his folks.

Quote:
Who says? Bruce Wayne isn't a real person, he's a fictional character. This interpretation has a scene where he has real human foibles and struggles to reveal his greatest, darkest secret.
Duh obviously he ain't a real person. I mean the real Bruce as in the guy not putting on the public playboy facade. He doesn't get all tongue tied and word stumbly like goofy Keaton did.

Quote:
Selina saved Brucie's bacon from Bane? Yea, after she initially led him into a trap and left him for dead.
Whoop-dee-doo. She was backed into a corner being targeted for death herself by Bane and his gang. She was desperate. Point is she did the right thing in the end and showed her true self.

Quote:
There was more to the Vicki-Bruce relationship than just drunken sex. It just isn't spelt out to us with dialogue. It's in the actors chemistry and their actions. For example, Bruce obviously trusts Vicki enough to give her his research on the Joker poison, including the keys to combating/countering it.
There's diddly to their relationship. We don't even know why Bruce asked her for a date in the first place. The sparks didn't fly between 'em when they met briefly in Wayne Manor. But a couple of bottles of wine later and they're in the sack.

Heh he didn't even have to give her the research on the J-Man's poison. She said that herself. She asked why did he bring her there cos he could have sent that to the press himself. He took her there because she had the roll of film of pics she took of him shoved down her boobs. That was a dumb excuse too because he could have got that off her without taking her to his cave.

Quote:
And at least Burton's Batman didn't want to retire and leave his legend in the hands of an untrained nobody cop and was actually obsessed with his crusade, as he should be.
Bruce was obsessed. He spent seven years prepping himself. He used his fear of bats to make the image of Batman. He wasted away for 8 years after TDK hoping for things to go bad again so he could be Bats again.

Whoop dee doo he left the mantle to a Cop. It ain't like comic Bats has never left his mantle off to someone and retired. And it ain't like Bruce in the comics doesn't want to retire and put it all behind him either cos he's said he does lots of times.

Quote:
At least we was shown the significance of his parents death by him going to crime alley and laying roses there. Instead of just being told about it in fleeting dialogue exchanges.
Heh we don't need to see him leave roses in crime alley to know his folks affect him. You see that in the dreams and flashbacks he has about them in BB and TDKR.

Quote:
Nolan's Batman isn't driven by the death of his parents.
Sure he is. 'My anger outweighs my guilt'.

Quote:
He doesn't seem too pained by it.
Neither did Keaton's Batman. He only remembered his parents death because Joker was their killer. Leaving roses in the alley on their anniversary don't mean he's sooooo pained by their death. Lots of peeps leave flowers for loved ones on their anniversary. Doesn't mean their consumed and driven by it.

Quote:
He's more concerned with falling in love and passing the Batman mantle on to someone else.
Nope. He's more concerned with saving Gotham and giving them hope.

Didn't expect you try and turn this into a Burton vs Nolan debate but hey if you wanna play that way, look at some of the comic book writers who don't like Burton's Bats:

Quote:
At the time the first one came out, I was in fifth grade and absolutely loved it. It was so completely new and fresh at the time and obviously made a huge impact on how superhero movies would be done for the next ten years. Visually, they were impressive. Honestly, I can't watch it now because all I concentrate on is how loose the story is, and how little they made you care about the character the movie is named after. In my opinion, all the previous movies failed to be true Batman films because most of the important elements of the Batman mythos where missing. There was no relationship with Gordon, Alfred was never a real presence, and Batman never really did those cool Batman things. The guy could barely move in that suit and he always seemed a little weak to me. It seemed like the attitude was, 'Let's just get to Batman doing his thing so we can spend more time introducing the Joker". The second one was barely a Batman movie at all. It just featured Batman characters. That was clearly a case of Tim Burton doing his own thing with no real care about a story or what these characters represented.
http://www.batman-on-film.com/leebermejointerview.html


Quote:
The Burton films were strong on atmosphere but obviously showed that Burton was more interested in the misfit villains than in his title character. In fact, BATMAN RETURNS is often credited as being a better film but I f***ing HATED how it made Batman little more than just another costumed creep, little better than the villains he’s pursuing.

Additionally, Burton is so blatantly NOT an action director. That aspect of both his films just sucked.
http://www.batman-on-film.com/interv...jett_2006.html


Quote:
You know how "Batman and Robin" is the worst movie ever made? You're wrong. It's the first Batman movie that bites the big one. Yeah, the Tim Burton picture everybody's supposed to like and, frankly, that came as a bit of a shock. I remember being dazzled by this when I was eighteen and went back to see it four times in three weeks. Oddly, I hadn't seen it since and was quite excited about seeing it again, but oh **** is this movie bad. Tim Burton's "Batman" is the one thing beneath Judas Iscariot at the very base of Hell and Michael Keaton is terrible as Batman. We all loved him at the time because he seemed to be taking it seriously, but watch it now and you'll realise he was just bored. The special effects are "Plan 9 From Outer Space" awful (check out the Batwing sequence, I dare you) and everything from Kim Basinger and Robert Wuhl to the paper-thin plot makes this by far the worst of the batch. Even the brilliant Nicholson is embarrassing, indulged to the point of tedium and clearly out of his mind on drugs the whole time. Please try to watch this again before you leap to your nearest message board to defend this gilded dog-turd of a movie. I swear you won't make it past the first ten minutes.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=14523


Quote:
Tim Burton is far too much of a flake to do such a highly rationalistic super-hero. And there were SO MANY bad errors. Batman’s costume being so stiff, eliminating ninja flexibility. Batman firing missles into a crowd of citizens (even though he was ostensibly aiming at the Joker). Making Gotham City so weird that it didn’t even really look like Earth (and Batman’s supposed to be the more realistic of the superheroes!), etc., etc I understand that a more adult and subtle version of Batman MAY (and I emphasize may) not sell as well as a kid’s merchandising franchise, but I’m not a kid!
http://normbreyfogle.com/media/inter...?page=ozcomics

I got more to post if you wanna see them.


It ain't like the Burton Batman flicks didn't get plenty of heat from fans for being weak. Even 'ol Burton noticed it and got annoyed about it:

Quote:
"I was just always amazed that people used to rag on my movies," he said. "Nobody really acknowledged the fact that ['Batman'] was slightly different at the time from other comic book movies. So lay off, will you? They would get on my case all the time and it's still kind of that way today," he said.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/11/20...-batman-films/


Soz but I ain't being biased. I'm just calling it like I see it. So if you wanna keep up this Burton vs Nolan thingy then okey dokey but don't call moi biased.


Last edited by Fudgie; 04-28-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #324
CountOrlok
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 702
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Yeah, a lot of people hate the Burton films but a lot of people hate the Nolan films too. I don't usually go by critical scores and audience ratings, but it has way more positive reviews than negative reviews.

But if you actually analyse the scores of both Batman '89 and TDK, Batman '89 has 47 fresh reviews and 19 rotten reviews. TDK has 270 fresh and 18 rotten. So they both have almost the same amount of rotten reviews, except TDK was reviewed a lot more (most likely because this is the internet age and movies tend to get reviewed more, as opposed to 1989 where most reviews were published in magazines and newspapers).

If you don't believe me, you can check it out here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1001781-batman/

Ok, you could go by percentages, but we simply don't know how Batman '89 would rate if it got as many reviews as TDK.


Last edited by CountOrlok; 04-30-2014 at 02:56 AM.
CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #325
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cheam, Surrey, UK
Posts: 718
Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

A role badly acted by both actresses and a bloody annoying, pyos, unashameably up her own arse character with no warm characteristics.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.