The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #151
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Do you wish Katie was in TDK, or do you wish Maggie was in BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Is there a female childhood friend who is both an assistant DA and love interest? Sometimes new characters have to be created to suit the story. Altering existing characters to fit it can only go so far.
Is there any need of a female childhood friend who is both an assistant DA and love interest?

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #152
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

It served the story. She was the love interest, childhood friend, guidance and someone whose also fighting for justice all in one

Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #153
Bat-Gasm
Side-Kick

If I remember correctly Nolan and Co. didn't really have a choice to include her or not? Same with Scarecrow. Of course now how well she was written or not was all on them, but I think WB forced a love interest. I know Dent was going to be in BB but they said they couldn't do him justice. Likely...but I have conspiracy theories that he was replaced with Rachael! lol.

To answer the thread. Yes. I would have liked to see Katie blown up more than Maggie.

Batman creates fear.

Bat-Gasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #154
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Is there any need of a female childhood friend who is both an assistant DA and love interest?
I'm just saying that when you come up with a story about an established character, there isn't always going to be pre-existing supporting characters to fill every significant role, so you create a new character or you shoehorn an existing character to fit the story.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #155
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Yes, but Rachel was the main love interest. Batman has no shortage of love interest characters in the comics. Nolan was spoiled for choice.

Honestly with some of the character alterations he made to prominent characters which were accepted by the fans, nobody would have cared if he made alterations to the likes of Julie Madison, Silver St. Cloud, Vesper Fairchild etc.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #156
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
No there isn't.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 11-21-2011 at 09:33 AM.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #157
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAlleys View Post
It served the story. She was the love interest, childhood friend, guidance and someone whose also fighting for justice all in one
Someone who fights for justice. That'd be Batman and Gordon. And some Harvey Dent.
Guidance? Alfred. But if they insist in having someone lecturing in every step of his career it'd be nice if he/she was older than him. But okay, let's say he needed Rachel for that.
Now, childhood friend? What's the need for this one? Or love interest? In fact Rachel wasn't the true love interest until the end when she all fo a sudden became interested in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat-Gasm View Post
If I remember correctly Nolan and Co. didn't really have a choice to include her or not? Same with Scarecrow. Of course now how well she was written or not was all on them, but I think WB forced a love interest. I know Dent was going to be in BB but they said they couldn't do him justice. Likely...but I have conspiracy theories that he was replaced with Rachael! lol.
The problem with that is it shows. That 'love interest' was completely unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I'm just saying that when you come up with a story about an established character, there isn't always going to be pre-existing supporting characters to fill every significant role, so you create a new character or you shoehorn an existing character to fit the story.
As Joker says, there was plenty to choose from. Now I'm far from being against new characters. But make them good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
No their isn't.
I know.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #158
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Quote:
Someone who fights for justice. That'd be Batman and Gordon. And some Harvey Dent.
Guidance? Alfred. But if they insist in having someone lecturing in every step of his career it'd be nice if he/she was older than him. But okay, let's say he needed Rachel for that.
Now, childhood friend? What's the need for this one?

Trust. What does Gordon and Alfred have in common (In movies)? Theyre both trusted figures from his childhood.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #159
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I wish katie was in the dark knight.. too bad that cruise-control will not allow her to be in certain films..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #160
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAlleys View Post
Trust. What does Gordon and Alfred have in common (In movies)? Theyre both trusted figures from his childhood.
Which is why we didn't need more childhood characters in the movie. Plus being known since childhood is not the only way to win trust. Luicius Fox?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #161
Ayumi_Vasquez
Side-Kick

Personally I would've liked Rachel McAdams to have played Rachel, who was actually one of Nolan's top choices.

Although I like Katie's young and innocent look, I believe that Maggie's a braver actress, trying different things and not just doing what she's told. Maggy did come across stronger and that was a good thing. I do think the scenes with Rachel would have been different depending on who was playing her. I don't think Katie would've let Heath be as free with her as Maggie allowed him to be, what with grabbing her face in an uncomfortable looking vice grip and all.

Ayumi_Vasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #162
CJ
Leap of Faith

I'm not really a fan of Katie Holmes, but I wish she was in The Dark Knight, just for the sake of consistency.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #163
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi_Vasquez View Post
Personally I would've liked Rachel McAdams to have played Rachel, who was actually one of Nolan's top choices.

Quote:
Although I like Katie's young and innocent look, I believe that Maggie's a braver actress, trying different things and not just doing what she's told.
I have to ask, is 'young and innocent' something the Rachel character needed? Because 'mature and experimented' is something I feel closer to the character.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #164
Ayumi_Vasquez
Side-Kick

Quote:

I have to ask, is 'young and innocent' something the Rachel character needed? Because 'mature and experimented' is something I feel closer to the character.
I never said it was needed. I said that;

"Maggie's a braver actress, trying different things and not just doing what she's told. Maggie did come across stronger and that was a good thing."

Meaning, I preferred Maggie to be the stronger and better actress. I know a lot of people on here get really touchy but there's no need, we actually agree on this subject.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #165
Slushy
ALWAYS Believe!!!

Quote:
yes. I would have liked to see katie blown up more than maggie.
+ 1

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #166
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I never said it was needed. I said that;

"Maggie's a braver actress, trying different things and not just doing what she's told. Maggie did come across stronger and that was a good thing."

Meaning, I preferred Maggie to be the stronger and better actress. I know a lot of people on here get really touchy but there's no need, we actually agree on this subject.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I wasn't trying to defy your taste, I was genuinely asking that about the character.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #167
Ayumi_Vasquez
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I wasn't trying to defy your taste, I was genuinely asking that about the character.
I'm relieved. I'm glad it was just a misunderstanding.
I haven't been around this board in a couple years and right away with my first post back I instantly get some one who's not ?understanding? what I'm writing and is prodding me to get into some kind of superficial ridiculous argument about my saying I like to see a sweet and innocent looking character but NOT saying she HAD to look that way. I used to frequent this place and read A LOT and there was no shortage of rude condescending posters here.

Someone asked if the Joker's hair was real or a wig and a reply was Clearly is not a wig. I was like I'm sorry, it might not be so clear to everybody you know? It's not a stupid question and it doesn't deserve a response regarding you as if you are retarded. And again, I'm glad we don't have an issue Anywho, I'm off to surf. See you around.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #168
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Neither.

I wish they would've cast someone like Kate Beckinsale or Rachel McAdams for both movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #169
jokerscat
Banned User

Maggie is ugly as hell and should NEVER be cast as a lead actress in ANY film based on that fact alone.

jokerscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #170
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

wow, you're not shallow or anything

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #171
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerscat View Post
Maggie is ugly as hell and should NEVER be cast as a lead actress in ANY film based on that fact alone.
This isn't very nice though it still made me laugh with how intense it is. I would prefer that Maggie had been in both though. Katie is a bit more attractive, but Maggie made me feel like Rachel was the strong assistant DA and helpful friend of Bruce that they wrote her to be. Sometimes in Begins I felt like Katie Holmes' acting was a bit off and still tv like. She wasn't terrible by any means and I like them both in the role. It would've been nice to at least just have one of them in each movie for continuities sake.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #172
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I would have chosen Maggie over Holmes anyday. She's obviously a better actress,but for some strange reason I find her rather cute. I've just never been into Katie Holmes that much,either as a pretty face or an actress. Maggie is actually one of those kinds of girls that,at least to me,has moments where she looks rather "eh," and some where she looks cute as hell. I suppose it depends on the angle she's at or the lighting...as bad as that is to say.

Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #173
Two-Face
The White Knight

Actually I have rather Katie Holmes because I don't like recast. I agree Maggie G is much better actress.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman
Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #174
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Actually I have rather Katie Holmes because I don't like recast. I agree Maggie G is much better actress.
Sometimes you just need a transplant man. Or else, it's hell.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #175
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

I personally would have preferred Katie in both, in terms of acting Maggie is better and Katie would have probably had a bit of a fight with some of the scenes in TDK.. all the same I still prefer Katie.

Admittedly Katie would have come off just as shrill and annoying as Maggie did, it wouldnt be the fault of either actress as much as it is a function of where the character is at that point of the storyline.

In Batman Begins its all about the relationship between her and Bruce and we like her because she is pulling for Bruce like the rest of the audience.

In TDK she is mixed with her feeling for Bruce and Dent, her indecision makes her come off as annoying (Mary Jane was equally annoying in Spiderman 2 because of this). Later in the story she chooses Harvey, her love for him leads to some of her irrational behavior and lack of faith/anger towards batman/bruce. Again she comes off as annoying because she's no longer pulling with Bruce, its just an effect of her overall character arc.. All things considered i'd still rather have Katie.

the5timechamp is offline   Reply With Quote