The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
BMM
Side-Kick

Default The Official Edi Gathegi/Darwin Thread

Edi Gathegi answers fan questions, regarding his role as Darwin in X-Men: First Class.

Quote:
I'm not too familiar with Darwin. Can you give me a rundown of who this Darwin is?
Darwin, a mutant, is a relatively new addition to the X-Men comic world. Nicknamed after Charles Darwin - father of the theory of evolution - Darwin adapts to harsh environments based on an instinctual need to survive. His ability is called reactive adaptation. I want that power in real life - I'm not gonna lie.

Will Darwin transform into his pale form?
Not only will Darwin transform into his pale form, but he will also transform into his obese form, his female form and even his bovine form. Totally messing with you. You just have to wait to see what transformations occur. No spoilers here buddy. Not today. Not evah. No way.

In the comics, Darwin was discovered by Moira MacTaggert. Is this the same in X-Men: First Class?
In our film Darwin is discovered by the mutant recruiters (I totally made up that term). I won't tell you who's on that recruiting team - it's better to be surprised.

Because Darwin is relatively new to the comics - did you have more freedom to portray the character than the other cast?
I think everyone in the cast has a certain responsibility to maintain the integrity of the characters they are portraying as seen in the comics. With that said, we are actors, human beings, portraying these characters, so inevitably we have to make the characters our own. Bring them to life in our own unique way. Hopefully we strike a happy medium of what's expected, and a surprise unique personal take to really make our characters come to life on the screen as live action.

Did you have to spend a lot of time with the make-up department or did they 'humanize' Darwin (like the way you're seen in the trailer)?
Because of all the transformations that Darwin can undergo as an evolving mutant, I am indeed as human as I can be for as long as I can be. That's my final answer. I'd like to use a phone a friend....the extensive make-up might come in subsequent movies providing that all our fans show up like they do in my dreams.

Who's your favorite X-Men character in the movie?
Is this a trick question? Darwin. Duh. Well in truth there is a difference between "who is your favorite mutant in this particular movie" versus "who is your favorite mutant and power in general." The answer to the latter would indeed be Darwin. The answer to the former would have to be, gee, I don't know all of them? They are all dope. Love Azazel, love Prof. X, love Shaw. Magneto is a badass too. And Mystique. I wanna date Mystique. I wanna have Mystique babies. Little blue reactive adaptive rug rats. Don't judge me.

If you were a superhero or villain what power would u use?
I would be 2 parts Darwin and 2 parts something proactive. On second thought, I would be all parts Darwin, but learn how to control the evolution so it was proactive.

What's it like being a part of two enormous franchises - Twilight and now X-Men? Do you feel pressure from fans?
I've learned that you can't please everyone. And everyone has an opinion. Not everyone will like what you do and by that same token not everyone will hate it either. So the best thing I can do for my general overall happiness, the work, and the simple enjoyment of the process is to attack the characters the best I can - taking into consideration the source material. When I can do that then it's much easier to handle the negative feedback. So to that end I don't really feel pressure from fans. I feel pressure from myself to do my best. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I am even in a position where I am answering questions like this. Two franchises? Pinch me, am I dreaming? Don't pinch me I don't wanna wake up.

Did you feel any connections or similarities to your character?
I feel like this may be true for a lot of the mutants...they feel alone until they find each other. I think we all know what it's like to feel a little lost until you find a person, cause, or passion to give your life that much more meaning and direction.

I read you were an X-Men fan growing up - were you a fan of Darwin?

D-money wasn't around when I was a young buck. But if he were you better believe he would have been my favorite. It was all about Wolverine when I was younger. I'm totally on the Darwin bandwagon now. His possibilities are literally endless. Limitless.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Edi Gathegi/Darwin Thread

He probably has visually the most interesting powers among the x-men in this imo, for i guy that is pretty unknown they certainly picked one with very interesting powers.

I was wondering though if he is a member of the X-men in this, or just an ally of sorts. Will he wear a uniform?

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
pyromaniac
Side-Kick

Out of everyone in the film, Darwin gets less love. I don't personally know too much about his character, just that I know of his abilities, but after reading his very funny answers, I like his enthusiasm and his sense of gratitude for being part of this X-Men phenomenon, so to speak.

But the question I want to ask is this: knowing that Singer likes to introduce characters that 'fit the narrative', I'm wondering why Darwin? He has a somewhat facile connection to Moira McTaggert and Professor Xavier, whereas with Angel even we get a good idea of where she fits in judging from the trailer.

It'd be interesting if his powers become a sort of overarching subtext for what the mutants are seen to become: evolution. Both Magneto and Sebastian Shaw fall into that line of thinking - 'Mutants are the way of the future' - albeit going about it another way. Else he'd simply be window dressing, only used to showcase his powers that help his team. He doesn't necessarily have to have substantial character development, but I'm sure that they'll make him a symbolic trope.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I get a "X-Men Origins: Wolverine vibe" from XFC's Darwin and I'm just not looking forward to see him and his appearance is not even close to the comics.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I get a "X-Men Origins: Wolverine vibe" from XFC's Darwin and I'm just not looking forward to see him and his appearance is not even close to the comics.
What do you mean by that?

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't know, it feels like he doesn't belong to this film but Wolverine.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't know, it feels like he doesn't belong to this film but Wolverine.
lol, out of all of the other oddities that this movie has attributed to it, I'd say he fits right in.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Nokio
Side-Kick

I've seen nothing of this guy on screen. They really aren't showcasing the rest of the mutants.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Well, less is more...

Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
the a1ant
Awesome

I'm looking forward to Darwin...I wish they made him strange looking with prosthetics, but maybe he will evolve in sequels.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the a1ant View Post
I'm looking forward to Darwin...I wish they made him strange looking with prosthetics, but maybe he will evolve in sequels.
If he even survives this one.

*maniacal laugh*

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Well, maybe from what we've seen of him in the trailer, his powers are probably at already at work to adapt to his surroundings--hence, making him appear like a normal person. Maybe when in his relaxed state, he looks more like his comic self.

Ever think of it that way?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Well, maybe from what we've seen of him in the trailer, his powers are probably at already at work to adapt to his surroundings--hence, making him appear like a normal person. Maybe when in his relaxed state, he looks more like his comic self.

Ever think of it that way?
His powers may be already at work to make him appear normal?. Really? So he adapts to look like a black man pre civil rights in the US?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio View Post
His powers may be already at work to make him appear normal?. Really? So he adapts to look like a black man pre civil rights in the US?
I'm not even gonna go there, but....yes, it's possible.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #15
the a1ant
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
If he even survives this one.

*maniacal laugh*
That will suck if they kill off Darwin...especially considering his powers, lol.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
I'm not even gonna go there, but....yes, it's possible.
I'm just messing with you but I couldn't resist man. You opened the door wide for that one.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the a1ant View Post
That will suck if they kill off Darwin...especially considering his powers, lol.
Just means that he really sucks

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

I dont think he will die in this film, Well I hope he doesnt.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Angamb
Banned User

I wouldnt like a sequel with the same team as this movie, I mean, I want the main characters to stay, and the others not, so would like Havok, Banshee and Beast to stay on the school for the sequel, and adding a known new character, maybe Polaris, or someone else.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #20
merbass
Side-Kick

He could even be in X4, given the fact that he survives any circumstance. That would mean he can stop aging process as well.

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
the a1ant
Awesome

That would be cool.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #22
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Doesnt look like he is in this movie much though, he wasnt in the uniformed team shot which makes me think he either dies or is in the movie for about 10 mins.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
BMM
Side-Kick

Yeah, we've seen nothing from the likes of Darwin or Riptide.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #24
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Doesnt look like he is in this movie much though, he wasnt in the uniformed team shot which makes me think he either dies or is in the movie for about 10 mins.
I suspect he will die. Typical but not unexpected.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #25
Nokio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Yeah, we've seen nothing from the likes of Darwin or Riptide.
Riptide is shown a bit using his power in the new International trailer released today I guess.