The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #26
dnno1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: Government Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
We are over 14 trillion in federal debt and fy 2012 budget is supposed to cost nearly 4 trillion and the DNC won't agree to cut 60 billion dollars? That is a little over 1%. They can't cut 1%. WTF!?

And people think we will still be a country in 100 years if this continues.
They agreed to $60 billion in the February CR. This new budget for the remainder of the year is for about $33 billion (making the total closer to the $100 million that they were originally asking for). What are you complaining about?

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
Donut
Side-Kick

If the Military is not even getting paid then send them home I say

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #28
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Government Shutdown

Here's an interesting article on the 'cost' of a shutdown...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/07/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #29
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
We are over 14 trillion in federal debt and fy 2012 budget is supposed to cost nearly 4 trillion and the DNC won't agree to cut 60 billion dollars? That is a little over 1%. They can't cut 1%. WTF!?

And people think we will still be a country in 100 years if this continues.
If people are alive by then...

http://thetechjournal.com/science/em...00-years.xhtml

I agree with him...but not the timeframe. But as population goes up...more mouths to feed, and people want MEAT. It costs grain and land and money to produce animals for consumption. Which in turn is less land for humans to live on. I'm sure somebody smart out there will do something though.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
Franklin Richards
Banned User

In other news, Turkey Lurkey has it from a reliable source that the Sky is indeed falling. Film in 2012.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
Donut
Side-Kick

I wonder if someone would have the balls to do another 9/11 during the shut down ?

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #32
Paradoxium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post

If that is the case the solution is a SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER shutdown and add more non-essential furloughs.

Let the private market pickup slack in services in the meantime.

Part of me is against it but for entirely different reasons. I know the Federal Reserve is going to end up picking up slack and making things even worse. They are a private entity afterall.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #33
Alex The Great
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
I wonder if someone would have the balls to do another 9/11 during the shut down ?
Doubt it. 9/11 took years to plan, I have no idea how long this shutdown will last, but I doubt anyone would even have time to pull something.

Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #34
Paradoxium

IIRC Belgium has been shutdown for a year - actually still is I think.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

He basically was saying that a shutdown would teach the Teaparty a lesson since a large number of its constituents are dependent on entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare. Although he said that he (personally) would be rooting for that he also said that as a statesman, he wouldn't' do that (plan to shut down the government). That would be irresponsible.
Teach the tea party at the expense of all the people that rely on the government? No, what he is saying is that people would blame the GOP and come back over to their side to be votes:

Quote:
From a partisan point of view I think it would be the best thing in the world to have a shutdown. All these Tea Party people are dependent on Social Security and Medicare and all these other things and when that -- those checks start coming, believe me, their constituencies gonna go even lower than a fiasco in Wisconsin. If I was the head of the DNC I'd be quietly rooting for it!

I know who's gonna get blamed for it! We've been down this road before!
I love it how you think the GOP is this evil monster and the DNC is a poor rabbit huddling in the corner and shivering out of fear.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #36
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
In other news, Turkey Lurkey has it from a reliable source that the Sky is indeed falling. Film in 2012.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #37
Alex The Great
Banned User

Chase, both parties are evil monsters. They're both awful and aren't better than the other.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #38
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post

Hmm . . . that's the same principle that contributes (notice I said "contributes," people, not "is the sole cause of) to gas prices increasing in the summer. Gas refining has to shut down, reconfigure for the "boutique" blends that states like California mandate for summer, and then restart the process to produce those blends.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Handsome Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #39
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Great View Post
Chase, both parties are evil monsters. They're both awful and aren't better than the other.
That is what I have said in here so many times. I just come in here to point that out to the few people that are die hard party members.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #40
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Let's be honest (and has already been stated here): We wouldn't be in this situation now if the Democrats had had the stones to do their duty and pass a budget for his Highness to sign last year. Not passing a budget gives the Democrats no standing to argue from a position of fiscal responsibility.

They didn't. This squabbling is all of their doing. And maybe they planned it that way--thinking they could help guarantee an Obama win in 2012 by re-engineering the shutdown of the Clinton era. At least one Republican thinks it's a possibility (the deliberate part):

http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2...us_intent.html

But no politician would ever put re-election above what's good for the people, right?

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Handsome Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #41
chaseter
Bland User

Obama and Pelosi had the time and the votes to pass a budget. They didn't. Here we are.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #42
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

this whole thing worries me. I work under the Department of Defense and am civil service, so i may not have a job for a while.

if the government shuts down, we're going to shut down too. they say we'll get back pay eventually when things straighten out, but that doesn't help any of us right now.

i live right outside the biggest naval base in the country and this will greatly affect the economy of everyone living here

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #43
Paradoxium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
this whole thing worries me. I work under the Department of Defense and am civil service, so i may not have a job for a while.

if the government shuts down, we're going to shut down too. they say we'll get back pay eventually when things straighten out, but that doesn't help any of us right now.

i live right outside the biggest naval base in the country and this will greatly affect the economy of everyone living here
That depends if Obama treats you as essential or non-essential. The running rumor is the latter. I'd start making backup plans - like getting all the paper work done for temp gigs or something before the rush of applicants occurs.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #44
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

So exactly what government services would shut down?

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #45
Paradoxium

From what I understand troops overseas in will get paid AFTER the shutdown (and will continue to operate). I think this it he most likely scenario, I don't think Obama dumb enough to furlough the troops overseas. Civies at DOD is another story.

I do hear:

- CDC will be stop operating
- Toxic waste will be untreated

Those are the big ones.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #46
Paradoxium

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...K2oC_blog.html
Quote:
I am a member of the military. Will I get paid?

A shutdown would also affect pay for members of the military, said senior government officials familiar with the planning. If the current funding expires on Friday, in the middle of the military’s two-week pay period, theDefense Department would distribute paychecks for the first week, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. In an effort to avoid such disruption, House Republicans introduced legislation that would pay troops if a deal isn’t reached. Congressional aides couldn’t say whether such a bill would pass either chamber before Friday
Quote:
What about civilian employees of the Defense Department?

Civilian DOD workers would undergo the same consideration as all other civilian federal employees, a senior administration official said.
http://money.msn.com/taxes/latest.as...e12977&_nwpt=1
Quote:
New patients were no longer accepted into clinical research at the National Institutes of Health. In addition, NIH disease hot lines and CDC disease surveillance were stopped.
Quote:
More than 600 toxic waste dump sites went untended and uncleaned during the last shutdown. About 2,400 Superfund employees did not work

Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #47
Paradoxium

According to Obama via Bloomberg a decision will be made by tomorrow morning. Until then...

Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #48
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
That depends if Obama treats you as essential or non-essential. The running rumor is the latter. I'd start making backup plans - like getting all the paper work done for temp gigs or something before the rush of applicants occurs.
i'm already ready to fill out my partial unemployment paperwork online.

they've already posted notices all over our store saying if the govt shuts down so will we.

i do have another job that's a few times a month but that's not enough to live off of

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #49
Alex The Great
Banned User

Out of curiosity, how will this effect the rest of the world? America's economy is so huge and stretches all over so I assume a couple other countries will feel the pain

Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #50
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Discussion: Government Shutdown

People need to wake up. It's part of their plan to cause as much division, chaos, and confusion as much as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if this was created by BOTH or ALL parties to keep the people in check. I view this as "When you question us, get angry or demand answers, we're going to cut off your funding and show you who's really in charge."

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that when the American people get pissed off and want answers something like Japan happens, a Federal Shutdown is threatened, and of course an aftershock in Japan happens. All of which are used to divert attention to the real issues. Notice how a couple of weeks ago this shutdown wasn't mentioned in the media, well, not entirely true, however they had a small blip and it wasn't mentioned.

Then on the week of the event it's all every channel, every radio station, newspaper articles, and etc. You'd think the reality of people not being able to work, toxic waste being left untreated, gas prices being insane, and the fact that families NOW might not be able to make it would be big news. But no all we hear about is Obama's vacation, we hear about all the Republican entertainment news, Paris Hilton, Brad Pitt, and a bunch of other NON-NEWS material that distracts the public.

I am ashamed that I even voted for Obama, I am ashamed that I even allowed myself to believe that the whole Democrats or Republican was about right and wrong when I see it's really about "It doesn't matter if you vote liberal, conservative, libertarian, or independent we'll still screw you for four or eight years."