The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

I think Macs have a temperature app in the utilities folder. If not, there's a free one out there somewhere.

To clean it, can of compressed air in the vents. But you need to be sure you're not just pushing the dust further in. I bet the Genius Bar at an Apple Store would clean it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #27
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

A year and a half ago, I intended to buy an Apple, but instead it seems I got a Lemon (yeah, yeah I know... I was working on that one all day ). As soon as the year-long warranty expired on my MacBook, problem after problem sprung up. The internal battery which was supposed to last five years according to the Apple guy went to crap and I had to get it replaced after 16 months. 200 bucks down the drain. The rubber bottom started peeling off. Had to get it replaced. Another 50 bucks or so. But the worst problem by far is what's now happening to my screen. Unless I press down hard on it with one hand, it fades to white. I used to be able to flick it with my finger to get the picture back, but it's getting worse by the day. Even typing this message I have to hen-peck with one hand, while the other presses down on my screen. The Apple guy says it will cost 500-600 bucks to replace, so what's even the point?

Any gimmicks or anything I can jury-rig to get my screen somewhat normal again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #28
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Duct tape. Because duct tape fixes everything.

Not really sure how to handle the screen. As for the battery, the guy sold you a lot of bunk. Apple batteries only last about 2 years, 3 on the outside. I've had my Mac for 6 years now and it's ready for it's fourth battery.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Probably need to give the laptop a good cleaning. You could have a ton of dust built up which is acting like a blanket and keeping heat in.

But, as long as your processor is under 200 degrees, preferable 150-170, it's fine. 190 is pushing it.
A. True

B. Depends on what you're doing, but yes, 190+ isn't necessarily a good sign. If your machine is sitting idle, playing music, just web surfing, easy tasks 135-160ish F is fine. Once you start stressing it, WOW, Starcraft, torrenting, any heavy tasks then they can get up to 185F ish which is fine.

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies

Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Yeah. laptops are designed to run hot. Lots of electronics packed into a small space, after all. In fact, they run so hot now, they probably shouldn't be called laptops anymore

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #31
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
I think Macs have a temperature app in the utilities folder. If not, there's a free one out there somewhere.

To clean it, can of compressed air in the vents. But you need to be sure you're not just pushing the dust further in. I bet the Genius Bar at an Apple Store would clean it for free.
It depends who you get, how busy they are and how you ask them to clean it. If you just ask them to clean it out with canned air, probably shouldn't be a problem. If you ask them to open it up and clean it, well from the post below it sounds like you have a white unibody macbook. The bottom panel comes off in about one minute, so shouldn't be a big deal. But it depends on how busy they are, if their repair queue is slammed, you may want to come back later.

iState Pro or iStat Nano will give you a full read out of the temps.

http://i.imgur.com/JGEwp.png

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb.../istatpro.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
A year and a half ago, I intended to buy an Apple, but instead it seems I got a Lemon (yeah, yeah I know... I was working on that one all day ). As soon as the year-long warranty expired on my MacBook, problem after problem sprung up. The internal battery which was supposed to last five years according to the Apple guy went to crap and I had to get it replaced after 16 months. 200 bucks down the drain. The rubber bottom started peeling off. Had to get it replaced. Another 50 bucks or so. But the worst problem by far is what's now happening to my screen. Unless I press down hard on it with one hand, it fades to white. I used to be able to flick it with my finger to get the picture back, but it's getting worse by the day. Even typing this message I have to hen-peck with one hand, while the other presses down on my screen. The Apple guy says it will cost 500-600 bucks to replace, so what's even the point?

Any gimmicks or anything I can jury-rig to get my screen somewhat normal again?
1. ALWAYS buy applecare. Multiple reasons. If you're not happy with it, you can return it, get a prorated refund at any point.

2. Cost on a macbook $249 - student discount, save $66. You can buy on ebay for less, but apple caught on and now they require proof of purchase to register it. You maybe able to get around this.

3. Gives you unlimited phone support as soon as you buy it, applecare overall gives you two more years of warranty for a total of three. It doesn't cover cosmetic, consumable parts, physical, liquid, accidental, theft or loss.

4. If you happen to have a lemon, with enough major repairs, close enough in time, they will just replace it, with the current, closest model.

On another note, the bottom casing coming off the white unibody macbooks, which is what it sounds like you have, is currently covered, free of charge with or without applecare or the one year warranty.

Quote:
Duct tape. Because duct tape fixes everything.

Not really sure how to handle the screen. As for the battery, the guy sold you a lot of bunk. Apple batteries only last about 2 years, 3 on the outside. I've had my Mac for 6 years now and it's ready for it's fourth battery.
Not necessarily true. He has a white macbook unibody [I think], battery is rated for 1000 cycle counts, which, if used properly should be good for about 2-6 years depending on usage.

Previous gen batteries, which is what it sounds like you have Wieg, are rated for 300 cycle counts.

Meaning apple determines that with the (mah) charge these batteries have, you should get about a minimum of 300 or 1000 cycle drain and charges.

Cycle meaning one full drain and one full charge in any increment = 1 cycle. Batteries start at 0 and continue up as you use them.

I've seen previous generation batteries, all white macbooks, with 1000+ cycle counts a few times. So if those were rated to get 300 cycles, in theory, the new ones could possibly get 3000 cycles with exceptional usage.

But, those are macbooks, I don't think I've ever seen macbook pros get more than 600-700 cycles, my theory is due to the higher heat they generate, which can degrade batteries.

Learn more here.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

As for your TM issue, personally I feel.

Carbon Copy Cloner >>>>>>> Time Machine.

Hope that helps.

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #32
twylight
One And Only

I have a Macbook Pro from 2007 and my applecare has long since run out.. also the Apple store is an hour and a half away. So I'd prefer to clean it at home but if you think the Genius Bar is better.... my last experience wasn't so great with them.

twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #33
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post
I have a Macbook Pro from 2007 and my applecare has long since run out.. also the Apple store is an hour and a half away. So I'd prefer to clean it at home but if you think the Genius Bar is better.... my last experience wasn't so great with them.
A. Waaa...want some french cries? Sorry, but 30 minutes, while not down the street, isn't that bad solely based on location alone. Some people drive an hour and a half to their nearest apple store, others, like Montana, have no apple store at all in their entire state.

B. Some genius bars/teams are not the friendliest or...the best techs either. So I can't fault you if your experience was poor.

I don't personally think the genius bar is better, no. But again it depends on how nice/friendly/good they are at their jobs.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

She said 90 minutes, not 30.

If you've got a can of air, go ahead and give the MB a few short squirts. See what comes out, if anything.

I should really go home and do this to my MBP tonight too.

Quote:

Last edited by wiegeabo; 08-11-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #35
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
She said 90 minutes, not 30.

If you've got a can of air, go ahead and give the MB a few short squirts. See what comes out, if anything.

I should really go home and do this to my MBP tonight too.
Ah...eh..I see what I want to make it fit my reality.

Actually you may find that your machine is incredibly clean inside. Some look like the Yukon other's look like a clean room.

Apologies.

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 08-11-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #36
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #37
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Although I feel that show sucks now...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #38
twylight
One And Only

I was gonna say, I DO want french c[f]ries with that! Might as well munch while driving!

Quote:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
It used to be funny when you said that. But then I learned, you really do.

twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #39
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH HUMBBUG! View Post
It depends who you get, how busy they are and how you ask them to clean it. If you just ask them to clean it out with canned air, probably shouldn't be a problem. If you ask them to open it up and clean it, well from the post below it sounds like you have a white unibody macbook. The bottom panel comes off in about one minute, so shouldn't be a big deal. But it depends on how busy they are, if their repair queue is slammed, you may want to come back later.

iState Pro or iStat Nano will give you a full read out of the temps.

http://i.imgur.com/JGEwp.png

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb.../istatpro.html

1. ALWAYS buy applecare. Multiple reasons. If you're not happy with it, you can return it, get a prorated refund at any point.

2. Cost on a macbook $249 - student discount, save $66. You can buy on ebay for less, but apple caught on and now they require proof of purchase to register it. You maybe able to get around this.

3. Gives you unlimited phone support as soon as you buy it, applecare overall gives you two more years of warranty for a total of three. It doesn't cover cosmetic, consumable parts, physical, liquid, accidental, theft or loss.

4. If you happen to have a lemon, with enough major repairs, close enough in time, they will just replace it, with the current, closest model.

On another note, the bottom casing coming off the white unibody macbooks, which is what it sounds like you have, is currently covered, free of charge with or without applecare or the one year warranty.

Not necessarily true. He has a white macbook unibody [I think], battery is rated for 1000 cycle counts, which, if used properly should be good for about 2-6 years depending on usage.

Previous gen batteries, which is what it sounds like you have Wieg, are rated for 300 cycle counts.

Meaning apple determines that with the (mah) charge these batteries have, you should get about a minimum of 300 or 1000 cycle drain and charges.

Cycle meaning one full drain and one full charge in any increment = 1 cycle. Batteries start at 0 and continue up as you use them.

I've seen previous generation batteries, all white macbooks, with 1000+ cycle counts a few times. So if those were rated to get 300 cycles, in theory, the new ones could possibly get 3000 cycles with exceptional usage.

But, those are macbooks, I don't think I've ever seen macbook pros get more than 600-700 cycles, my theory is due to the higher heat they generate, which can degrade batteries.

Learn more here.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

As for your TM issue, personally I feel.

Carbon Copy Cloner >>>>>>> Time Machine.

Hope that helps.
Wow, man. Thanks. I'll definitely get Apple Care next time (which will probably be a lot sooner than I intended). I suppose the bad screen is pretty much a terminal issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #40
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Applecare is really picky, though. If you've got the slightest dent, your warranty is pretty much invalidated. I had a small dent on the top of my laptop. They refused to even fix the paint that had peeled off the keyboard (which was covered by the plan) because they claimed "they couldn't prove the damage was unrelated to the dent."

Bull ****. Really? My laptop's top was hit so hard that, even though the dent was minor, it knocked paint off the keyboard and keys?... ****ing ripoff.

At least I got them back somewhat. They had to replace 3 power supplies, at over $100 each. One was because my dog damaged it, but I just claimed it was bad (it was the second replacement I had just gotten the day before, damn dog) and got another one in it's place.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #41
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Applecare is really picky, though. If you've got the slightest dent, your warranty is pretty much invalidated. I had a small dent on the top of my laptop. They refused to even fix the paint that had peeled off the keyboard (which was covered by the plan) because they claimed "they couldn't prove the damage was unrelated to the dent."

Bull ****. Really? My laptop's top was hit so hard that, even though the dent was minor, it knocked paint off the keyboard and keys?... ****ing ripoff.

At least I got them back somewhat. They had to replace 3 power supplies, at over $100 each. One was because my dog damaged it, but I just claimed it was bad (it was the second replacement I had gotten the day before, damn dog) and got another one in it's place.
Yes and no, it depends on several factors.

A. Are we talking applecare versus in store with a genius?

We can come back to that if you like.

B. Physical or cosmetic damage is not covered under the warranty or applecare.

C. Wear is also not covered, people that type heavily can wear down the keys, this is not covered.

D. The physical damage does/or should depend on what need to be fixed when take into consideration. Sometimes it is a flat, we will not fix, other times it is a, well we will fix this, but this only, and if it doesn't work we will need to void everything.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #42
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Wow, man. Thanks. I'll definitely get Apple Care next time (which will probably be a lot sooner than I intended). I suppose the bad screen is pretty much a terminal issue.
Yes it's actually the display itself. I think it's about $235 + tax in store more or less. Or they can ship it for $280 + tax flat rate and it covers/fixes everything but physical/liquid/accidental, et cetera.

Do you have a monitor? If so I would hook it up and see if you get the same issue, I doubt you will.

There are often third party companies in your area that are apple certified, but don't take their word for it, find them on apple's website, just type in your zip code.

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/

Sometimes they are substantially cheaper, sometimes the same, sometimes more.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #43
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Anyone tried MacKeeper?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #44
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Yes. Questions?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #45
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Is it free? Does it truly speed things up...?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #46
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

It's not free and it will help, but when I say help, it's like getting chevron with techron. It probably does help, but you most likely will not notice.

IF, you do notice a huge difference after running it, you probably had a lot more going on that you could have taken care of other ways that are free.

Any issues in particular that are slowing things down for you, or you feel like they are slowing things down?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #47
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Actually, lately i've noticed that Youtube and similar other videos don't play well for me anymore. They run really slow, stop and start, etc..this just started recently.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #48
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

What browser do you use? Do you ever reset X browser? Do you ever restart your machine? Do you get the spinning beach ball often, or more often? Do you have all of your data backed up? How full is your HD? Do you ever run repair permissions with Disk Utility?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #49
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I use Safari. I get the beachball..sometimes, but not often. I restart maybe once a week, and repair permission about once a month.....

Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #50
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Do you reset safari? If so, how often? If not, do you know how?