The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #51
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Ughhh Safari runs PAINFULLY slow when you start playing videos. Just...forget it. Safari playing YouTube in one tab is 10x slower than Firefox running 10 tabs and playing YouTube.

I have my Activity Monitor up all the time now and it's amazing how much memory browsers will eat if you have them open for a while.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #52
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

It all depends, I use Safari, just because I am incredibly used to it and know it so well [funny I'm using FF right now] but I do use all four, Safri, FF, Chrome and Opera.

Overall to me Chrome seems to be the lightest and fastest of the four. But, we're splitting hairs here.

I'm talking 200mph, vs, 195, vs 190, vs, 188. It doesn't really matter at that point.

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies

Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #53
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Why did you suggest resetting Safari; what will that accomplish anyway? If resetting is advisable, what things do i check off in the dialogue box? I don't want to loose all my saved user names and passwords...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #54
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Resetting Safari clears out the built up data it collects as you browse online. Sure some of it is useful, as you mentioned user names and passwords or autofill, but for the most part that is all that most people want to keep. History I suppose, although for the most part if you want to keep something, you should bookmark it anyway.

If you never reset Safari it can lead to very minor issues. For example flash may stop working. Just reset every month or so.

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #55
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

So, I chew threw Apple earbuds in no time. In the last year, since getting the iPhone 4, I've gone through four sets. Thankfully, the Apple Store kept replacing them for free under the warranty.

But no the warranty is expired and I need a new set and am sad.

So, anyone know of a place where I can get nice quality earbuds, preferably with the three buttons like the iPhone 4 buds, that doesn't cost as much as Apple charges (currently $29 for their cheap buds)? I'd even settle for a set with the one button like my old 3G had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #56
twylight
One And Only

My iPod shuffle earbuds are getting a bit worn.

And guess who got a shiny new laptop battery for her birthday? This girl!

Any super easy tips on how not to ruin my battery like I did last time? I know I need to calibrate it like once a week... anything else?

twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #57
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post

Any super easy tips on how not to ruin my battery like I did last time? I know I need to calibrate it like once a week... anything else?
I usually use my laptop at home, and simply take it out then, powering it via the charger only. (The age of Apple batteries depends on recharge cycle number, and I figure if I simple don't use it, there'll be less cycles. ) I only put it in when I'm traveling with it. And if I won't be using it for a while, I discharge it until about 50%.

Laptop batteries will always wear down. I just want to delay that process as long as possible.

No help on the earbud thing, sorry. I can't wear earbuds, they never stay in my ears.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #58
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Once a month is probably sufficient.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #59
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Maybe Air's are worth the price after all...

Quote:
Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #60
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
So, I chew threw Apple earbuds in no time. In the last year, since getting the iPhone 4, I've gone through four sets. Thankfully, the Apple Store kept replacing them for free under the warranty.

But no the warranty is expired and I need a new set and am sad.

So, anyone know of a place where I can get nice quality earbuds, preferably with the three buttons like the iPhone 4 buds, that doesn't cost as much as Apple charges (currently $29 for their cheap buds)? I'd even settle for a set with the one button like my old 3G had.
1. Why would you use the apple headphones? I assume because they're free/cheap?

2. Not sure if any of these are remote compatible but here are a few some what cheap ones.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/v...g=mncol;lst;10

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/v-m...ag=mncol;lst;5

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/v...ag=mncol;lst;8

The last pair I own and for $30 they are solid.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #61
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post

Incorrect, as Weig pointed out.

www.apple.com/batteries

Also get iStat Pro for your computer so you can see a good visual indicator of your battery and the numbers. The most important thing is the FCC or (mAh) charge.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb.../istatpro.html

Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #62
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I usually use my laptop at home, and simply take it out then, powering it via the charger only. (The age of Apple batteries depends on recharge cycle number, and I figure if I simple don't use it, there'll be less cycles. ) I only put it in when I'm traveling with it. And if I won't be using it for a while, I discharge it until about 50%.

Laptop batteries will always wear down. I just want to delay that process as long as possible.

No help on the earbud thing, sorry. I can't wear earbuds, they never stay in my ears.

I would be careful, you're battery can have it's life expanded by keeping it plugged in, but this is only part true. Leaving it plugged in too often or letting it only drain to 50% all of the time may negatively effect your battery.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #63
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Maybe Air's are worth the price after all...

At first I saw your post and thought, yeah, they are easily....oh haha. LOL yes. The world's fastest internet-browsing/apple-slicing machine.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #64
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH HUMBBUG! View Post
I would be careful, you're battery can have it's life expanded by keeping it plugged in, but this is only part true. Leaving it plugged in too often or letting it only drain to 50% all of the time may negatively effect your battery.
People keep on telling me this, but I honestly don't know if people know what happens to the battery if I simply don't use it. Like, it's not attached to my Macbook Pro. The battery is sitting on my desk right now and I can look at it. I have the charger plugged in 24/7, unless I'm traveling, which is the only time I have the battery installed, and then I usually use it until it runs to 0.

I figure it'll last longer, since there's no charge running through it and it doesn't run down any cycles, but for some reason this is not a regular practice....?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #65
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
People keep on telling me this, but I honestly don't know if people know what happens to the battery if I simply don't use it. Like, it's not attached to my Macbook Pro. The battery is sitting on my desk right now and I can look at it. I have the charger plugged in 24/7, unless I'm traveling, which is the only time I have the battery installed, and then I usually use it until it runs to 0.

I figure it'll last longer, since there's no charge running through it and it doesn't run down any cycles, but for some reason this is not a regular practice....?

No this isn't a regular practice for most, but not a bad idea. Although you should probably keep it at 50%, and not 0%. While it is sitting outside of your machine.

Running your computer off of just the A/C power is perfectly fine.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #66
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH HUMBBUG! View Post
1. Why would you use the apple headphones? I assume because they're free/cheap?

2. Not sure if any of these are remote compatible but here are a few some what cheap ones.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/v...g=mncol;lst;10

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/v-m...ag=mncol;lst;5

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/v...ag=mncol;lst;8

The last pair I own and for $30 they are solid.
I used the Apple because they came with the phone and had the controls built in. And every time I wore them out, they'd replace them for free. Now that my warranty has expired, no more free sets

Quote:
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #67
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

They're garbage anyway. You can find a decent pair for the neighborhood of $50.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #68
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

the rate I destroy them, I don't know if I want to spend that much.

And I refuse to learn how to be careful and treat them properly!

I've also become addicted to the button controls.

Quote:
Old 09-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #69
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

I think Philips might make a cheap pair? Have you tried ebay? For some reason earbuds are ridiculously cheap on ebay, at least for the ones I've looked at.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #70
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

HELP! HELP! HELP!

I just realised that i have deleted a file that i really need, by dragging it into the trash and emptying it about a week ago!

Is there any way i can retrieve that file..?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #71
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

This is one piece of software that might be able to help.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TX...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY

There is also Super Duper, which I believe is free but I am not familiar with it at all. Data Rescue I've used three times I believe and it worked 2 out of 3 times. So it is possible it could rebuild your data for you.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #72
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I downloaded Stellar Mac Data Recovery for free. I scanned my trash, and found the files i'm trying to recover. Before i can retrieve it, it's asking me to folk over $99. I've been reading reviews on this program, and alot of them say that even though the files are found by the scan, either the software can't retrieve it, or the file won't open up once it's retrieved. So i'm really hesitant to cough up that kinda cash.

Plus during the scan, there were multile versions of the same file name. I can't tell which one is the one i really want.

This whole situation is really pissing me of, becuase, as a designer, i'm very good at backing up all my designs, in multiple locations. What happened with the file is, i saved it to the desktop (which i rarely do with Adobe files); and one day i was cleaning off my desktop as it was full of alot of drop and drag images, etc and the file accidently got put in the trash, and emptied.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #73
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Have you tried Super Duper yet?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #74
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Not yet...

Old 10-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #75
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Here are some useful links for you mac users if you don't already know about them.

1. Backing up - sans the time capsule unless you really want it.

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/setup.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

2. About your notebook's [not laptop], ipod's, ipad's and iphone's battery.

www.apple.com/batteries