The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #76
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man
 
BAH HUMBBUG!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: with calvin & hobbes
Posts: 9,544
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2



Source: http://jmak.tumblr.com/post/9377189056

__________________
In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin


Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies


Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #77
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man
 
BAH HUMBBUG!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: with calvin & hobbes
Posts: 9,544
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2



__________________
In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin


Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies


Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #78
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,267
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


For some reason, this actually makes me want a 4S.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #79
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,267
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

So, any good 3rd party batteries for older Macbook Pro's out there?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #80
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man
 
BAH HUMBBUG!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: with calvin & hobbes
Posts: 9,544
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Not from what I've seen or heard. They're all pretty much POS. I've heard of some good ones from third party online sites, but for the most part, it appears to be, you get what you pay for. $30 for a battery, hopefully it will last you three months.

I'm all about third party products, much cheaper than Apple's stuff, but for adapters and batteries, the extra cash [most of the time] will prove it's worth in the quality and life you will get.

Also...

www.apple.com/batteries

__________________
In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin


Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies


Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #81
twylight
twylobite
 
twylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The twylight zone...
Posts: 26,098
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

My beloved Macbook Pro died (it's seriously dead-dead) earlier this month, and because I'm *now* a super poor college student I bought a Windows 7 laptop (Lenovo). Here's my dilemma: Is there a way to somehow access my Time Machine back-up, on the external I have, on the Lenovo? I need my music/files/art/etc >.<; The external isn't registering on any of the windows PC's I've connected it to. I do have a friend who owns a Mac if that's somehow needed in terms of McGuyvering a way to the files?

It's stressing me out.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1
twy knows in the first five minutes whether she's going to marry you, bed you, or just be friends.
twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #82
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post
My beloved Macbook Pro died (it's seriously dead-dead) earlier this month, and because I'm *now* a super poor college student I bought a Windows 7 laptop (Lenovo). Here's my dilemma: Is there a way to somehow access my Time Machine back-up on the Lenovo? I need my music/files/art/etc >.<; I do have a friend who owns a Mac if that's somehow needed in terms of McGuyvering a way to the files?

It's stressing me out.
As far as I know, no. Mac disk drives use a completely different file system from PCs so you can't just hook up the disk and look at the files. You won't even see the drive on the PC.

Use your friend's Mac to access the files, though I think you might need to make a guest account on there to recover the entire Time Machine backup.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #83
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,267
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Yeah, PC's can't see or read Mac drives or Mac partitions on a drive.

Your only choice is to use another Mac, or get software for the PC that allows you to access the Mac drive.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #84
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Well that's the short answer.

Both Macs and PCs can read drives in FAT32 format. Native Mac format is HFS, which PCs can't read. Another PC disk format is NTFS, which can't be read by Macs. So I have a bunch of partitions on my external drive set to FAT32 when it comes to files I want to share with PCs. Problem is that FAT32 can't write files larger than 4GB, so my DVD rips are on a NTFS partition. My Time Machine backup is on the HFS partition. Yeah, all on the same drive.

Moving from a PC to a Mac last year, I read up on all that stuff. It was a pain in the ASS to partition it, since PCs can only partition FAT32s and/or NTFS (I've forgotten already), so I had to do that stuff before partitioning the HFS.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #85
twylight
twylobite
 
twylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The twylight zone...
Posts: 26,098
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

LOL

I thought so. I know about the different file formats. I was just curious. Because for some super weird reason the travel external I have partitioned has both sides (Mac, I think it's a FAT32 though from what memory tells me,and PC) picked up on the Windows 7 machine at work. But other Windows machines don't pick it up. Anyway. Was just wondering if there was a way to do it without involving the friend......... or money for software. *sigh*

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1
twy knows in the first five minutes whether she's going to marry you, bed you, or just be friends.
twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #86
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 6,598
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Anyone know if COD4:MW on the Mac App Store 360 controller compatible?

__________________
Sometimes to do what's right, we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.
Poetic Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #87
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,133
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

My Macbook pro from 2006 just died.

Question:

Should I get an Imac with an Ipad for mobility. Or should I get a new Macbook Pro?

It's tough. I can get a damn powerful Imac for my editing and photoshoping, and it'll be cheaper than a standard equiped MBP. However, I do like mobility and I tend to write a lot on the go. Sometimes, I'll get a freelance writing gig where I have to write on-site. I've heard that the Ipad's awkward to write on and you've got limitations in general.

So which is the better option?

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #88
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,267
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

If you need to do a lot of typing, iPad probably isn't the way to go. Even if you get a keyboard to go with it, you're carrying around the keyboard, and the iPad has a tendency to not be able to keep up with speedy typing.

Better off just getting a cheap netbook or something.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #89
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

For myself, I'm thinking iMac for work and iPad (or cheap PC netbook) for portability. If you're going to be typing a lot, I'm definitely thinking netbook for you. Just get a free Dropbox account to sync work files between computers.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #90
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,133
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

So nay on the Macbook Pro then?

I mean, once I make the decision, I have to stick with it since this will be a big investment no matter what option I go with..

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #91
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Depends on what you want to do with it.

My aspiring career trajectory means I'll need a bigger screen (and more RAM) than what an MBP can afford me, so I'd need an iMac. If you don't need more power or a bigger screen than what a laptop can provide, why not get another MBP? My bf and my sister's bf are both developers and are very happy with their 13" MBPs, but that would be WAY to small to do art with. I have a 15" and it's getting to be a little small and slow, although this one is an older model. The newer ones are more powerful, but an iMac would still be better for it.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #92
Hellion
He's Not Serious
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Southern CA--with the other beautiful people
Posts: 4,936
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Hi, sorry to intrude, I use a Macbook Pro, and recently my original/main administrator account stopped running safari. You run safari, and after a few seconds a pop-up/alert comes up and says Safari Quit Unexpectedly. The Guest account and a 2nd account I created still run Safari and so far no issues. How can I fix the issue on that account? Any help is appreciated.

__________________
My heart was telling me lies, for you they're true.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #93
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Now my MacBook Pro is on the fritz. Am still wanting to stick with my current plan of going with an iMac instead of another Pro. (I'm typing this right now on an iPad and it's actually not that bad. Then again I have tiny hands...)

Does anyone have any opinion on SSDs? They're super-expensive from Apple but installing it after-market on the iMac involves taking off the glass screen with suction cups. I think I'll pass on that for a new $1,500 computer.

My sister's bf tricked out his MBP with all the after-market snazzle, but I'll have to make the decision about SSDs when I buy the thing. I hear programs will run super-fast if you have them on the SSD, but there's the question of whether it's worth $540..

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #94
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man
 
BAH HUMBBUG!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: with calvin & hobbes
Posts: 9,544
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Now my MacBook Pro is on the fritz. Am still wanting to stick with my current plan of going with an iMac instead of another Pro. (I'm typing this right now on an iPad and it's actually not that bad. Then again I have tiny hands...)

Does anyone have any opinion on SSDs? They're super-expensive from Apple but installing it after-market on the iMac involves taking off the glass screen with suction cups. I think I'll pass on that for a new $1,500 computer.

My sister's bf tricked out his MBP with all the after-market snazzle, but I'll have to make the decision about SSDs when I buy the thing. I hear programs will run super-fast if you have them on the SSD, but there's the question of whether it's worth $540..
1. It's not that hard if you have the right tools.

2. SSD are still a relatively new area for the consumer market, so they are going to be expensive. It depends, do you want quickness, or do you want storage capacity?

SSD in theory are supposed to be more reliable, I don't think there is any definitive evidence that proves this. But, they are supposed to be easier to recover data from if you have a failure, and didn't back up your data!

__________________
In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin


Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies


Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #95
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man
 
BAH HUMBBUG!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: with calvin & hobbes
Posts: 9,544
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Hi, sorry to intrude, I use a Macbook Pro, and recently my original/main administrator account stopped running safari. You run safari, and after a few seconds a pop-up/alert comes up and says Safari Quit Unexpectedly. The Guest account and a 2nd account I created still run Safari and so far no issues. How can I fix the issue on that account? Any help is appreciated.
It's most likely an issue with Safari inside of that user account. So you would want to either

A. go into the user account's Library>Preferences>com.apple.Sarfari.plist

Delete that file. See what happens, if you haven't already taken care of this.

__________________
In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin


Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies


Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #96
Ilayda
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: us
Posts: 123
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Alrighty, I am getting a Mac soon too. I just dont know which one should I choose... I am very interested in Mac Book Air. It is really thin and light. I can carry it everywhere I go. Also keep it home too. I just would love to hear reviews from someone who owns it and tried it. Any problems with it?


Last edited by Ilayda; 07-27-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Ilayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #97
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,267
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Firstly, why a Mac and not a PC?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #98
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilayda View Post
Alrighty, I am getting a Mac soon too. I just dont know which one should I choose... I am very interested in Mac Book Air. It is really thin and light. I can carry it everywhere I go. Also keep it home too. I just would love to hear reviews from someone who owns it and tried it. Any problems with it?
I don't use one (I need more power), but I did pester the guy at the Mac store about all the computers.

If you travel a lot and don't use any intensive programs, an Air is definitely what you need. I have heard of people running even Photoshop an Air and it's fine (and fast), but it's not really built for it.

An SSD failing is probably the reason why I wouldn't spring for one without considering a backup plan. From what my cousin (a computerphile) say, the lifespan of an SSD is actually about the same as a regular hard drive. BUT, when/if it fails, it fails spectacularly and there is no recovering your files like with a regular hard drive. (If a regular hard drive fails, you can often recover your files if you get someone who knows what they're doing.) This just means you have to be pretty diligent about backing up your files onto an external drive or the cloud on a regular basis.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #99
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs
 
Golgo-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Creative Mind
Posts: 24,291
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

I just got a MacBook Pro7. I have a Linksys e1000 router that i use for all the computers in my house, but the MacPro said that OS X 10.7 in incompatible with this router..? Anyone know the name of a router i can switch to?

EDIT: i updated my router and it works. I'll leave the question up in case it helps someone else.

__________________
"And a man, a man provides. And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it. Because he's a man."
- Gus Fring

Last edited by Golgo-13; 07-13-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: edit figured it out....
Golgo-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #100
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man
 
BAH HUMBBUG!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: with calvin & hobbes
Posts: 9,544
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilayda View Post
Alrighty, I am getting a Mac soon too. I just dont know which one should I choose... I am very interested in Mac Book Air. It is really thin and light. I can carry it everywhere I go. Also keep it home too. I just would love to hear reviews from someone who owns it and tried it. Any problems with it?
My two cents: As far as raw power goes, any of the processors in any mac is more than powerful enough for 90-99% of users. RAM and a dedicated graphics card would be a bigger factor than the CPU.

So unless you are doing something that requires huge crunches, i.e. handbrake, video games, graphic rendering and so on, the CPU is a non factor.

Make sure you get at least 4GB of RAM, which every Mac comes with standard currently [except the low end mini and I'm sure that will change when the rev them], but I would recommend 8GB of RAM. And unless you need a dedicated GPU, you're fine.

BTW: The MBAs are super legit.

__________________
In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin


Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies


Avy fixed to work by HunterRider
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.