Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: The Official Michael Shannon IS General Zod - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
The third act of S:tM and all of Lester's SII are campy and a little bit corny. I'm not even going to mention III and IV.
Agreed... and i'm in the minority of people that think Chris Reeves played a very corny Superman.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
The third act of S:tM and all of Lester's SII are campy and a little bit corny. I'm not even going to mention III and IV.
i'm not denying, i actually agree. just being politically correct i suppose. there are some that would defend S:tM and SII as if it were the bible.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
Blue Sugar
Banned User

I just get the feeling that people want something new just for the sake of having something new.

And no I don't want a carbon copy of the Donnerverse (even though I'm a huge fan of it and considers STM one of the best movies of all time) but I also don't want the writers/director to skip good things/characters just because it/they have been shown before.

I also don't want a Brainiac just to have him if he doesn't fit the thing they are going for, which seems to be presenting Superman in a real and world. I also think that to do that you don't want to show things that are even more out there than Superman in the first place. Bring something like Brainiac or Darkseid in the sequel when Superman is grounded in this new Snyder-, Goyer-, Nolanverse.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #29
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
I just get the feeling that people want something new just for the sake of having something new.
i understand their arguments, because i actually wanted a new villain as well. however, thinking about how Superman would have to tackle Brainiac on his first major test is just daunting. yes, Batman had to tackle Ra's and the League of Shadows but he was a member for a while...so most of his combat and tactics actually came from them. he knew how they worked. Superman, on the other hand, would most likely know little to nothing about Brainiac in an origin film.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
i understand their arguments, because i actually wanted a new villain as well. however, thinking about how Superman would have to tackle Brainiac on his first major test is just daunting. yes, Batman had to tackle Ra's and the League of Shadows but he was a member for a while...so most of his combat and tactics actually came from them. he knew how they worked. Superman, on the other hand, would most likely know little to nothing about Brainiac in an origin film.
I have said it many times it depends on the version of Branaic used.The version!TAS Braniac is not daunting!The Probes are not daunting!the real Vril dox is admittedly daunting so dont use him.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #31
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

first you guys want Brainiac because he's so epic...now you're arguing that a less epic Brainiac could work in an origin film. please make up your mind.

edit: personally, i wouldn't want to see Brainiac in a live action film unless he could be used to his full potential.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #32
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Superman III gets a bad rep but it's still the movie that gave me corrupted Superman and the awesome junkyard fight; so I enjoy watching it for that reason, despite it's flaws.

Hell, people can have their beefs with Superman II as well but equally, that movie was the one that gave me more of Terrence Stamps Zod and the best superhero style fight [in that it was closest to an actual road-breaking, building shattering comicbook slug-fest] that we'd seen committed to film. In fact, I'm struggling to think how long it was until it was bettered.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Well, I'm still holding out that Brainy will have SOME role in this film, as I also believe Lex will (I've now calmed down from my previous position of "F**k Zod, this movie's gonna suck" lol). Perhaps Zod will build a Kryptonian supercomputer that will develop its own form of intelligence and turn against him at the end, though not to help Superman, but for its own nefarious purposes. And whether Supes ends up fighting with it or not, it would return in the sequel as the "main" bad guy.

At least I hope we get something like that. I think my other issue with Zod (besides the fact that we've seen him before) is that I've never found him particularly interesting, even in Superman II or the comics he's been featured in. Admittedly, I haven't read the latest version of him, so perhaps they greatly improved on him. But in most versions I've seen, he just wants to strongarm everyone into submission, and that's really not that interesting. The only thing that made Terrance Stamp's Zod cool was Stamp himself. Put a lesser actor in there and you have a really simplistic, crappy villain. I hope we get a Zod who wants to do more than just take over the world and beat up anyone who stands in his way.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #34
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post

I think my other issue with Zod (besides the fact that we've seen him before) is that I've never found him particularly interesting, even in Superman II or the comics he's been featured in. Admittedly, I haven't read the latest version of him, so perhaps they greatly improved on him. But in most versions I've seen, he just wants to strongarm everyone into submission, and that's really not that interesting. The only thing that made Terrance Stamp's Zod cool was Stamp himself. Put a lesser actor in there and you have a really simplistic, crappy villain. I hope we get a Zod who wants to do more than just take over the world and beat up anyone who stands in his way.
The latest version of Zod showed him more politically motivated, and caring about protecting his people (the newly released Kandorians.) But then again, he was not above sacrificing some of them to defeat the enemy (which angered Kal-El). Then Zod hated humans for what they did to the Kryptonians.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

What did humans do to the Kryptonians?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #36
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
You just described 90 % of the Superman forum

When Batman Begins was coming out, we just wanted an awesome Batman film. People here act like Superman wont be good if it reminds them of something related to the donner films.

Last edited by The Batman; 04-13-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #37
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
What did humans do to the Kryptonians?
I didn't want to write a spoiler but Lex helps destroy New Krypton, forcing Zod to declare war on Earth.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #38
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I didn't want to write a spoiler but Lex helps destroy New Krypton, forcing Zod to declare war on Earth.
Oh, okay.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #39
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
i'm not denying, i actually agree. just being politically correct i suppose. there are some that would defend S:tM and SII as if it were the bible.
The only reason I and others defend the movies like we do is because lately they get crap from everyone, mostly because of how Superman Returns turned out. You defend the version of Superman you like, I defend the version I like. I don't see the problem.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #40
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i love the original movies...even the dreadful part 4, but i also realize how corny they are and that most of my love for those movies were because i was a child when they released.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #41
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
The only reason I and others defend the movies like we do is because lately they get crap from everyone, mostly because of how Superman Returns turned out. You defend the version of Superman you like, I defend the version I like. I don't see the problem.
This. Now all of a sudden, Donners films are supposedly heavily flawed, silly, and outdated, when everyone working on comic films today still use the template STM set up. All comic directors hold great respect for STM. Nolan used Donners concept of versimilitude to set up his Batman universe. Hell, Nolan thinks STM is still the best comic movie ever made.

People have been disespecting the donner films so much lately, that i cant help but feel a touch of Schadenfreude over the fact that people have a problem with zod as the villain.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

All four of the original films have their cheesy elements, it's true. But I never found Reeve cheesy. I think he's the main thing that makes those films timeless. The first two, anyway. Parts III and IV were completely FUBAR.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #43
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:
first you guys want Brainiac because he's so epic...now you're arguing that a less epic Brainiac could work in an origin film. please make up your mind.

edit: personally, i wouldn't want to see Brainiac in a live action film unless he could be used to his full potential.
I don see how TAS Braniac is less epic.They guy still destroys planet.
The Probe cs of Braniac are stll epis.They destroy planets as well.
Dont see your piont,no offense

Quote:
Well, I'm still holding out that Brainy will have SOME role in this film, as I also believe Lex will (I've now calmed down from my previous position of "F**k Zod, this movie's gonna suck" lol). Perhaps Zod will build a Kryptonian supercomputer that will develop its own form of intelligence and turn against him at the end, though not to help Superman, but for its own nefarious purposes. And whether Supes ends up fighting with it or not, it would return in the sequel as the "main" bad guy.

I agree with this.If we do see Braniac in this version it will be as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
The latest version of Zod showed him more politically motivated, and caring about protecting his people (the newly released Kandorians.) But then again, he was not above sacrificing some of them to defeat the enemy (which angered Kal-El). Then Zod hated humans for what they did to the Kryptonians.
The latest version of Zos in the comics just striked me as Donner Zod without the campiness,with depth and more backstory.But I still didnt feel the guy.
Russian zod and Tommorow Zod-those were bad asses.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #44
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Disappointed Zod is the villain in this film. I've read comments on the web asking were people upset when Joker was used again for TDK. There is a gigantic difference between the Batman and Superman films. By TDK, we have already seen the Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Two-Face, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Bane, Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow. Now granted, half those villains weren't done any justice but the point stands that the Batman films have shown diversity in their use of villains.

With the Superman films(based off comics) we have had Lex, Zod and his gang and Lex, Lex, Lex and Lex once again for SR. And now, we are getting Zod. I find this frustrating with today's technology used in film we still won't be seeing Brainiac, Parasite or Metallo. And one can say, we will see them in future sequels but who can even guarantee this will get a sequel?

I still believe this will be a very good film and I'm glad Superman will be able to throw down with someone but disappointed it will be Zod. I guess the other villains are too unrealistic for Nolan to use.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #45
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
You just described 90 % of the Superman forum

When Batman Begins was coming out, we just wanted an awesome Batman film. People here act like Superman wont be good if it reminds them of something related to the donner films.
It's a horrible mentality. "We lovez Dark Knight so Keaton's Batman suckz!"

Newer is better.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #46
Dark Knight
Banned User

I think the ending of this MOS film should be a cliffhanger type of ending, showing us Braniac is coming. That's IF he does not show up in MOS.

Having a cliffhanger style ending will leave the audience wanting more!

That's one of the great things I loved about the last Harry Potter film....the ending just left you on the edge of your seat wanting the movie to continue, but folks have to wait until this summer for the end.

That's also one of the great things I loved about BB. The ending just teases the audience that the Joker is coming.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #47
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I think the ending of this MOS film should be a cliffhanger type of ending, showing us Braniac is coming. That's IF he does not show up in MOS.

Having a cliffhanger style ending will leave the audience wanting more!

That's one of the great things I loved about the last Harry Potter film....the ending just left you on the edge of your seat wanting the movie to continue, but folks have to wait until this summer for the end.

That's also one of the great things I loved about BB. The ending just teases the audience that the Joker is coming.
once again....i agree, and thats what ive been saying all along.....you cant put all your eggs in one basket, if some people had their way, they would put all of supes foes in MOS..cheeze.......i understand theres no guarantee for sequels, but don't you guys want sequels?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #48
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Have this been posted? It's with Diane Lane talking about working with Michael Shannon.

Quote:
We asked Lane what her experience was in talking with the director about the film and how she feels about working with new General Zod.

“Certainly Zack’s energy and enthusiasm and clarity in explaining himself is rare and tremendously helpful [in describing the film],” Lane said. “I’ve seen his work and he is a visionary and I find him to be a breath of fresh air, and a risk taker. I think there’s something to be said about re-approaching a story that’s been told quite a few times, it requires a certain amount of self-confidence and sense of vision and he’s the right man for the job.”

As for her new co-star, she couldn’t be more thrilled saying, “I’m tremendously excited about Michael coming on board because I’m a huge fan and I got see his play downtown in New York recently [’Mistakes Were Made’]. He was tremendous in it.”

And we had to ask Lane if she was asked to do anything to prepare and said, “As of yet, not to my knowledge….It’s a little early days.”
Source

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #49
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
It's a horrible mentality. "We lovez Dark Knight so Keaton's Batman suckz!"

Newer is better.
Tell me about it.

However "Cheesy" or "Outdated" Donner's films may be, those films have an element of magic and fun that I havent seen in most modern comic movies. If Snyder can replicate that sense of magic, thats more important to me than who superman is trading fists with.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #50
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Pepper View Post
Have this been posted? It's with Diane Lane talking about working with Michael Shannon.

Source
Happy Joy Joy Feelings from these quotes. Thanks

Closed Thread