I'll Deal With It 20 8.93%
Remains To Be Seen 56 25.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #76
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 3

I hope that in the process of making Superman more modern, that they don't forget the fact that one of the KEY factors about Superman is that he doesn't kill his villains and that he's not as easily to let a villain die if he can do something to help them (unless the villain is of the likes as Darkseid, brainiac, doomsday, mongul)

Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #77
JAK®
Upstart

Yeah, just like it's a key factor of Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America. A lot of these "Never kill. EVER" mantras are a result from when the Comics Code didn't allow them to kill, and the writers tried to justify that.

Superman should arguably not allow his villains to die if he can help it. But Batman allowing The Joker to live is far too much of a stretch nowadays.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #78
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

It seems like I've read that conversation where someone says 'why doesn't he just kill the joker?' 'blah blah blah can't sink to their level blah blah blah' dozens of times now, and I increasingly feel like I'm just reading 'bad excuse for batman not killing making it even more obvious that he should kill,' instead of the writer just letting it slide.

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #79
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

How many people does Joker have to kill before Batman takes him out? 200? 300?

The Punisher's got the right idea.

If Batman's coming after you, you wouldn't be that scared because you know he won't kill you. But if Punisher is after you, you're screwed.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #80
Zack Snyder
Banned User

Superman goes the extra mile, putting himself in more danger even, at the hopes of saving a villain both physically and mentally.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #81
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Aside from his parents having most likely taught him that he should never take a life and his own innate goodness, I could see Superman in this version also coming to the conclusion that if he were to take a criminal's life that he'd do more harm than good since given his vast power and strength, him taking a life could easily have the populace begin to fear him.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #82
Zack Snyder
Banned User

He believes to let humans and the society they built on law, decide what happens to them. Superman is helping, but not taking over how things are handled.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #83
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

He would never kill a human criminal, but with Doomsday there's no other choice.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #84
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Snyder View Post
He believes to let humans and the society they built on law, decide what happens to them. Superman is helping, but not taking over how things are handled.
Agreed. I think it was said in the comics or somewhere other than the Donner films on how Superman hopes that his actions will not only have an immediate effect, but will also have an positive long term effect as well so that humanity can learn to achieve their potential of greatness without them relying too much on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
He would never kill a human criminal, but with Doomsday there's no other choice.
Agreed, I think Superman would be okay to bend his no kill rule if he were up against a non sentient being or if the being was in the same category as Darkseid.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #85
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I must say that I still don't get why it was okay to let Ra's die but not some crazed clown without any remorse?

If Superman is in a real jam and billions of lives are at stake, you damn skippy that he should kill the villain.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #86
SuperDaniel
Banned User

To those with the killing arguments...

READ ACTION COMICS #775

Black is silent for a moment and then his silence turns to rage. He tells Superman that if he thinks that it is over then he is living a dream.

"You know what, Black..? I wouldn't have it any other way. Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share... I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

That's all I have to say on the subject.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #87
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I must say that I still don't get why it was okay to let Ra's die but not some crazed clown without any remorse?

If Superman is in a real jam and billions of lives are at stake, you damn skippy that he should kill the villain.
Exactly. Superman's villains (Darkseid, Brainiac, Mongul, Doomsday) threaten the whole planet. Batman's don't. There's a lot more at stake.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #88
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

If he can help it I don't think that Superman will kill but if billions of lives are at stake and the only way out is death, I find it hard to believe that Supes wouldn't kill the villain. And yes, I know that it would be a very hard thing for him to do and that he would have a hard time dealing with what he did but if it had to be done I believe he would do it.

And no I don't want Superman to run around killing people, I just mean that not even Superman can keep up his no killing at all cost rule.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #89
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
If he can help it I don't think that Superman will kill but if billions of lives are at stake and the only way out is death, I find it hard to believe that Supes wouldn't kill the villain. And yes, I know that it would be a very hard thing for him to do and that he would have a hard time dealing with what he did but if it had to be done I believe he would do it.

And no I don't want Superman to run around killing people, I just mean that not even Superman can keep up his no killing at all cost rule.
I think there have been a few times where Superman had no choice but to kill someone in the comics (recent ones), but those were usually in very extreme and special cases. I also remember that Superman said that if he had ever killed that he would hang up his cape and never be superman again.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #90
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:

I think that was apart of Bruce's growing as a character from BB to TDK. Even notice how that same music que plays when Ra's dies and the Joker falls from the building. This time Batman knows he can't let him die. Because if he let him fall, wouldn't that be the same as what he did with Ra's in BB? Ra's death is still debatable, but someone in the Batman threads explained it so well. I forgot who it was though. I love the irony of that actually. He chose to save a more unsympathetic and psychotic character than his master and father figure with more reasonable motives.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #91
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Quote:

If there was a choice between one person and billions of other people most anyone would choose to kill the one person. Superman or not.

Superman looks for the best in people and believes almost anyone can be saved, no matter what they've done. That's why he's always been one of my top favourite superheroes.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #92
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I'd kill billions of people to save Olivia Wilde.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #93
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Superman essentially killed Doomsday, didn't he? Superman didn't know about his resurrection/evolution abilities and beat him to the point that he experienced one of his temporary deaths.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #94
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Like I said, when it comes to Doomsday there's no choice.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #95
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I will admit I didn't get the whole "I'm not going to kill you, I'm just not going to save you" line. Aren't you technically killing him by not saving him! But it never bothered me or caused my enjoyment of the movie to go down.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #96
Dark Knight
Banned User

If Superman has to kill someone that is trying to kill him or kill someone or something that is threatening to destroy Earth, then yeah, Superman should kill if it's a life or death situation.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #97
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Superman came to Earth to uphold justice and spread truth...and he's all done with truth.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #98
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
Superman came to Earth to uphold justice and spread truth...and he's all done with truth.
This should be the movie's tagline.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #99
Wheels
HR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
That sounds like a Clint Eastwood line.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #100
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

funny enough, i'm watching "A Fistfull of Dollars" hehe...

...but nah, it's based off a quote from "They Live" where Roddy Piper's character says,"I have come here to kickass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Closed Thread