The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #76
Wheels
Encore! Encore!
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Second City
Posts: 11,211
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
AntMan, the old TV series of Superman for an example, with George Reeves, character didn't out like the bumbling boyscout. It's time for Kent/Supes to graduate from that persona, and revert back to having a commanding persona.
I understand that, but Sabaoth acts like you have to disregard the comics to get away from that persona, and you don't. Golden Age Superman was a hardass who didn't answer to anyone, and last time I checked Golden Age Superman was in the comics. Awhile back in one of the All Things Superman threads, Sabaoth said somthing about getting rid of the boy scout image, and disregarding the comics. Then, he comes in here and says something about changing the origin: Why disregard the comics if you have so much material to draw from?

__________________
CM Punk = Best In The World

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas

Last edited by Wheels; 07-07-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Wheels is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #77
Moj1986
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Default Re: The Story.

[QUOTE=hopefulsuicide;20798095]- Both Spiderman and Batman have good movies in part because of it, it develops a character. It someone just gets up and decides to be a hero and be 100% good the character becomes incredibly one dimensional and the audience won't appreciate them (look at Superman Returns).

Batman and Spiderman being good movies has nothing to do with their motivations... they are just good movies, period. - Yes, good films..but in part to the character development offered in the form an origin, reasons for making the decisions they do.

As for the one dimensional thing... all I can say is that it's an incredibly boring way of looking at storytelling. To me, a characters depth isn't achieved by repeating a tired formula that audiences have enjoyed before... it's achieved by showing someone new. - There is nothing new in movies just slight alterations to 'tired formula' that if done well will be well received by its audience.

Superman has an unusual strength of character, level of empathy and self confidence. Those are his 'human' gifts. And telling the story of how he got those gifts and how that empathy, strength and confidence lead to him becoming the world's greatest hero, is so far from one dimensional.
- I don't see an interesting way of him having these 'human gifts' without rolling out the same old story of the Kents showing him right from wrong despite having no realistic idea of how he'd feel. Or through teachings from his alien parents that has been done to death in Superman fims.

If you really can't see that, then I just don't think we are interested in the same type of characters or movies. I'd suggest you watch Transformers. It'd be more your cup of tea. - I'm all for deep characters and if it were possible I'd enjoy the character you mentioned but I think that you perhaps only like one sort of Superman and won't accept any changes..

- He doesn't have to but if he did (and remember it wouldn't be because he wanted to, rather it be more an accidental consequence of the heroism he shows at the time) it would provide the character with a deeper understanding of why life is so important.

No it wouldn't IMO. If he accidentally killed someone while trying to be a hero, it'd make him want to stay away from people all together. Go somewhere he can be sure it'll never happen again. Protect people by staying away. - You've misunderstood my idea..or I've not described it well (it was very general). Killing someone isn't what causes him to become Superman but it would act as one of many events that would shape his attitude when he made the decision to do what he does. The strength is moving forward from that and learning control.

- It isn't guilt and grief that motivates him but it's a tent pole for why he'd never intentionally inflict pain and would find alternatives where possible.

You need a why? Superman needs a reason not to intentionally inflict pain? He can just be... you know... not a psycho?
- No not a reason to not intentionally inflict pain but a reason to want to control the power he has..as he has witnessed the consequences

- As i mentioned before the symbols he would associate himself with would be hope, i.e. he would be born of hope and he would intend his actions to inspire good.

I don't see how you can think an accidental death spurring him on would be him being born of hope - The death is not the catalyst for his decision to become Superman. Him realising that his powers aren't the social curse he's grown with but offer him a chance to make a difference, save people and change a self-destructive world.




Your quite right in one thing. It is 'dated' in a sense. Since it's been so long since a film had the imagination to do it. - Because it wouldn't work in a modern day film, the charachter wouldn't act like that in a modern day society for no reason. People don't believe in anyone being 100% good and making the good and right decisions from the start..it would detach an audience

No one is saying that he shouldn't have emotions, even negative onces. He's grown up human after all. You just don't need to make his 'story' a depressing angsty one. - It wouldn't be completely angst ridden but would have episodes of pain and sadness..providing more insight into the character


QUOTE]

.......Anyway I'm off to watch Transformers

Moj1986 is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #78
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,156
Default Re: The Story.

- Yes, good films..but in part to the character development offered in the form an origin, reasons for making the decisions they do.

Hey, no one is against reasons for becoming Superman in this origin film. I'm just against the reasons you are suggesting, which I feel stray too far from the core of both the character and the overall tone of the story/mythos.

- There is nothing new in movies just slight alterations to 'tired formula' that if done well will be well received by its audience.

:whatever

- I don't see an interesting way of him having these 'human gifts' without rolling out the same old story of the Kents showing him right from wrong despite having no realistic idea of how he'd feel. Or through teachings from his alien parents that has been done to death in Superman fims.

Then I'd say you have a spectacular lack of faith in vision and storytelling and not much of a grasp of the Superman character in it's entirety.

There is so much material there to work with. Numerous origin stories, all with different approaches. None of which require blood on Superman's hands as a part of his history.

- I'm all for deep characters and if it were possible I'd enjoy the character you mentioned but I think that you perhaps only like one sort of Superman and won't accept any changes..

It is possible, and fingers crossed, it's happening.

I can readily accept new interpretations of the story. There are so many different versions of the origin and I love them all. I even watched 10 years of Smallville, as promblematic as that show became, because it still had moments I enjoyed.

But what your talking about isn't something I can get on board with for this film. Maybe for an AU short in the comics...

- You've misunderstood my idea..or I've not described it well (it was very general). Killing someone isn't what causes him to become Superman but it would act as one of many events that would shape his attitude when he made the decision to do what he does. The strength is moving forward from that and learning control.

I understand and appreciate the idea of him learning to control his powers (even tho that's pretty much been done in Smallville for 10 years).

But if you think Clark could accidentally kill someone and just get over it and still become the same Superman, then your really not seeing the character at all.

It would drive him mad with grief and guilt. He would NEVER want to risk anything like that happening again. And your suggesting it happen while he's trying to be a hero? Do you not see how in Clark's mind that would equals - try to be a hero, people die.

How is he going to decide to don the cape and do heroics world wide after experiencing that?

- No not a reason to not intentionally inflict pain but a reason to want to control the power he has..as he has witnessed the consequences


Yeah, that's really no better.

Superman needs a reason to want to control his powers? Like he's too dumb to realise what could happen if he didn't until it's too late?

- The death is not the catalyst for his decision to become Superman. Him realising that his powers aren't the social curse he's grown with but offer him a chance to make a difference, save people and change a self-destructive world.

Then what's the point of the death? Or are you saying that the death makes him realise his powers are not a social curse... Because that really makes no sense.

- Because it wouldn't work in a modern day film, the charachter wouldn't act like that in a modern day society for no reason. People don't believe in anyone being 100% good and making the good and right decisions from the start..it would detach an audience

Speak for yourself.

I believe in the good in people. And I believe in my favourite character representing that in every way.

I don't want a Superman whose just like me. That's what Spiderman is to me.

I want a Superman that's everything I want to be, and try to be on a daily basis.

- It wouldn't be completely angst ridden but would have episodes of pain and sadness..providing more insight into the character

And of course you can't provide insight into the negative emotions he has through his life without him killing someone accidentally?

As someone else said, what is already there is enough. Adoption issues. Loneliness from knowing he is the last of his kind (especially in dealing with a story about Zod). His fears of being discovered. Guilt about having to lie to the people he's close too like Lois. Outsider issues. Frustrations at society's obvious corruption and greed and how it makes him angry.

Superman is already a complicated character, with a lot more going on in his head than they've ever delved into in the comics.

But as Superman Returns made the mistake of doing, you shouldn't make those negative emotions the focus of the story. Because Superman is not an angst ridden character. He's not broody all the time, he's not full of pain and anguish. It's there, sure, but he has enough good influences in his life to make him happy, to help him through that stuff instead of just dwelling on it.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #79
Moj1986
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 35
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
- Yes, good films..but in part to the character development offered in the form an origin, reasons for making the decisions they do.

Hey, no one is against reasons for becoming Superman in this origin film. I'm just against the reasons you are suggesting, which I feel stray too far from the core of both the character and the overall tone of the story/mythos.

- There is nothing new in movies just slight alterations to 'tired formula' that if done well will be well received by its audience.

:whatever

- I don't see an interesting way of him having these 'human gifts' without rolling out the same old story of the Kents showing him right from wrong despite having no realistic idea of how he'd feel. Or through teachings from his alien parents that has been done to death in Superman fims.

Then I'd say you have a spectacular lack of faith in vision and storytelling and not much of a grasp of the Superman character in it's entirety.

There is so much material there to work with. Numerous origin stories, all with different approaches. None of which require blood on Superman's hands as a part of his history.

- I'm all for deep characters and if it were possible I'd enjoy the character you mentioned but I think that you perhaps only like one sort of Superman and won't accept any changes..

It is possible, and fingers crossed, it's happening.

I can readily accept new interpretations of the story. There are so many different versions of the origin and I love them all. I even watched 10 years of Smallville, as promblematic as that show became, because it still had moments I enjoyed.

But what your talking about isn't something I can get on board with for this film. Maybe for an AU short in the comics...

- You've misunderstood my idea..or I've not described it well (it was very general). Killing someone isn't what causes him to become Superman but it would act as one of many events that would shape his attitude when he made the decision to do what he does. The strength is moving forward from that and learning control.

I understand and appreciate the idea of him learning to control his powers (even tho that's pretty much been done in Smallville for 10 years).

But if you think Clark could accidentally kill someone and just get over it and still become the same Superman, then your really not seeing the character at all.

It would drive him mad with grief and guilt. He would NEVER want to risk anything like that happening again. And your suggesting it happen while he's trying to be a hero? Do you not see how in Clark's mind that would equals - try to be a hero, people die.

How is he going to decide to don the cape and do heroics world wide after experiencing that?

- No not a reason to not intentionally inflict pain but a reason to want to control the power he has..as he has witnessed the consequences


Yeah, that's really no better.

Superman needs a reason to want to control his powers? Like he's too dumb to realise what could happen if he didn't until it's too late?

- The death is not the catalyst for his decision to become Superman. Him realising that his powers aren't the social curse he's grown with but offer him a chance to make a difference, save people and change a self-destructive world.

Then what's the point of the death? Or are you saying that the death makes him realise his powers are not a social curse... Because that really makes no sense.

- Because it wouldn't work in a modern day film, the charachter wouldn't act like that in a modern day society for no reason. People don't believe in anyone being 100% good and making the good and right decisions from the start..it would detach an audience

Speak for yourself.

I believe in the good in people. And I believe in my favourite character representing that in every way.

I don't want a Superman whose just like me. That's what Spiderman is to me.

I want a Superman that's everything I want to be, and try to be on a daily basis.

- It wouldn't be completely angst ridden but would have episodes of pain and sadness..providing more insight into the character

And of course you can't provide insight into the negative emotions he has through his life without him killing someone accidentally?

As someone else said, what is already there is enough. Adoption issues. Loneliness from knowing he is the last of his kind (especially in dealing with a story about Zod). His fears of being discovered. Guilt about having to lie to the people he's close too like Lois. Outsider issues. Frustrations at society's obvious corruption and greed and how it makes him angry.

Superman is already a complicated character, with a lot more going on in his head than they've ever delved into in the comics.

But as Superman Returns made the mistake of doing, you shouldn't make those negative emotions the focus of the story. Because Superman is not an angst ridden character. He's not broody all the time, he's not full of pain and anguish. It's there, sure, but he has enough good influences in his life to make him happy, to help him through that stuff instead of just dwelling on it.

I did write a reply to everything you answered me with but have somehow managed to lose the whole thing. In summation, there are some things I'm saying you seem to have confused. There are a lot of things I'm saying that we are just never going to agree on and that's because at heart you're a purest and I'm not..i'm happy to see change if it can work with the character/the evolution of the character.

"I want a Superman that's everything I want to be, and try to be on a daily basis." - enjoy wearing your tights

Moj1986 is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #80
Dark Knight
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: LOST Island
Posts: 15,490
Default Re: The Story.

I have a feeling we will see a non linear MOS story/script/screenplay much in the same vein as Nolan and Goyers Batman Begins and how The Godfather 2 was executed. Clark/Superman origins will be shown and some non linear scenes showing Crowes Jor El dealing with the events leading up to Kryptons destruction along with Zod.

If this happens, we will be in for treat IMO. Potentially this type of script and screenplay format would be great to see onscreen for a Superman film.


Last edited by Dark Knight; 07-07-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Dark Knight is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #81
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,150
Default Re: The Story.

I hope Cavill's Reporter Clark persona stands out like Bale's Playboy Bruce persona.

Cause if he's just gonna do a dean cain thing, that'll be dull. Say what you will about Reeve, but both his Superman and Clark were memorable.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #82
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,929
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
Fortunately, there has not been a single shred of information to suggest anything from Birthright is being "adapted" in MOS. Some rumors die hard.



If it were a direct to video anime, I would agree with you. A big screen adaptation of Birthright would be a real stinker and complete box office disaster. Birthright is best remembered as a failed attempt at Superman's origin, forgotten and discarded in the quarter bin, at your local comix shop.

I think MOS will go with a new origin story, completely unrelated to anything we have seen before in comics.
I'm sure we will all be pleasantly surprised with what they have in store for us!
A new origin that's completely unrelated to anything in the comics? No thank you. I still want to see a character that resembles Superman in the new movie.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is online now  
Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #83
Puckenstein
JETPACKS ON
 
Puckenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,822
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
A new origin that's completely unrelated to anything in the comics? No thank you. I still want to see a character that resembles Superman in the new movie.
I know, right?

Lose the trunks, remove the worthless belt, hang up his cape, give him armor, dress him in black, and give him a new origin.

This IS a Superman movie, right?

__________________
An inflated sense of importance is meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get it.
Puckenstein is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #84
Wheels
Encore! Encore!
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Second City
Posts: 11,211
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckenstein View Post
I know, right?

Lose the trunks, remove the worthless belt, hang up his cape, give him armor, dress him in black, and give him a new origin.

This IS a Superman movie, right?
That what I don't understand: Why would someone want a completely new Superman, who is unrelated to any version in the comics? You don't want the boyscout? Then draw inspiration from the golden age. Don't like one element of an origin story? Then use an element from another story. Don't completely disregard the comics, and then slap Superman's name on it.

__________________
CM Punk = Best In The World

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Wheels is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #85
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick
 
IamtheBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Beneath Wayne Manor
Posts: 3,026
Default Re: The Story.

They should make the story after Superman: Secret Origin

IamtheBatman is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #86
Rodrigo90
RIP Robin
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 19,102
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I hope Cavill's Reporter Clark persona stands out like Bale's Playboy Bruce persona.

Cause if he's just gonna do a dean cain thing, that'll be dull. Say what you will about Reeve, but both his Superman and Clark were memorable.
Well what is the "Clark Kent persona"?

It's a a symbolic image of the ordinary, everyday, innocent and clumsy person. A total image of innocence and well-meaning.

Clark Kent in public, is the guy who will say something innocent, hold the door for people, compliment Jimmy Olsen on another crappy photo, just make him feel good.

Clark is Superman's connection to human's on a close and personal level, IMO. Clark is Superman's image of the people he saves, good and wholesome.

__________________
"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles "
Christopher Reeve

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #87
Kurosawa
Banned User
 
Kurosawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Well what is the "Clark Kent persona"?

It's a a symbolic image of the ordinary, everyday, innocent and clumsy person. A total image of innocence and well-meaning.

Clark Kent in public, is the guy who will say something innocent, hold the door for people, compliment Jimmy Olsen on another crappy photo, just make him feel good.

Clark is Superman's connection to human's on a close and personal level, IMO. Clark is Superman's image of the people he saves, good and wholesome.
Clark is everything Bill says he is in Kill Bill II...except that Bill reads Clark wrong because he is evil. Clark Kent is Superman's love letter to the human race. Superman needs Clark like most people need dreams. Most superheroes are the exact same person in and out of costume. Superman is different in that he has a real alter ego. That's also why Dean Cain's Clark and other versions that have Clark as the real person and Superman the disguise fail. Superman was never intended to be that way and has never succeeded when written in such a manner.

When Superman puts on the glasses and the blue suit and back in the day, the fedora, he gets an escape from being Superman and all that is expected from him.

Kurosawa is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #88
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider
 
Venom'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,995
Default Re: The Story.

Why would Superman need a break from being who he is(Superman). If anything I would think he need a break from being Clark Kent... Kent is the sham. Having constantly pretend something he's not all day, everyday. Being Superman is a release.

__________________
___________________________________
Foxx-Electro * Giamatti-Rhino * DeHaan-ProtoGoblin
My JL Trailer * The Unholy Trinity of Venom * The Sinister 6
Venom'sDad is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #89
Sabaoth
Master
 
Sabaoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 955
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
You do understand that they could give us something we've never seen on film and still stay true to the source, right? I've seen your posts about getting rid of the boyscout image, and acting like you have to disregard the comics to do that, which you don't.

Why would you advocate abandoning the comics altogether?
While I don't advocate an abandoning of the comics, I'm not interested in a completely faithful adaptation either.
I want to see something new, that we haven't seen before.
I want Snyder to wow me with an original take on the legend.
My tastes have evolved beyond the "Gee whiz, bubba, dat looks just like it does in the comics" stage!

Sabaoth is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #90
Sabaoth
Master
 
Sabaoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 955
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Wasn't there rumor or story details of young Clark Kent in Africa doing a reporting story before deciding to become Superman? That's taken from Birthright, and it's a good idea to use. Birthright's a good source to pull from, and the first five chapters are excellent.

While I have a very strong dislike for the most of Birthright (particularly everything that happens after he starts wearing the suit), I agree the Africa reporting story would be great in MOS.
That said, it is only a rumor at this point.
We really don't know.

Sabaoth is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #91
Sabaoth
Master
 
Sabaoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 955
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
I understand that, but Sabaoth acts like you have to disregard the comics to get away from that persona, and you don't. Golden Age Superman was a hardass who didn't answer to anyone, and last time I checked Golden Age Superman was in the comics. Awhile back in one of the All Things Superman threads, Sabaoth said somthing about getting rid of the boy scout image, and disregarding the comics. Then, he comes in here and says something about changing the origin: Why disregard the comics if you have so much material to draw from?
The "boy scout image" is an albatross hanging from Superman's neck, courtesy of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns,' where the Man of Steel was characterized as the loyal lapdog of a U.S. government gone wrong, acting faithfully without questioning the motives of his superiors, apparently possessing no individual will of his own.

Sabaoth is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #92
Wheels
Encore! Encore!
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Second City
Posts: 11,211
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
While I don't advocate an abandoning of the comics, I'm not interested in a completely faithful adaptation either.
I want to see something new, that we haven't seen before.
I want Snyder to wow me with an original take on the legend.
My tastes have evolved beyond the "Gee whiz, bubba, dat looks just like it does in the comics" stage!
Please.

You've talked about giving Superman an all black costume, changing his origins, and changing his personality into something it has never been. You want to see a completely different character, who has Superman's powers and name, but that's about it.

I'm not interested in a Superman Lives type film.

__________________
CM Punk = Best In The World

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Wheels is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #93
Sabaoth
Master
 
Sabaoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 955
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
What I'm really hoping to see is that for the first time, we get to see a live action arc done properly where we see Superman having to earn the trust and love that he eventually gains from the public in this film.
Perhaps by the end of the film, he gains trust and love from a portion of the public. I can't imagine a realistic scenario (since they're not aiming for camp) where the entire world trusts and loves Superman. (I cringed when I saw the "everyone loves Superman" scene in SR. It just seemed so campy!)

Sabaoth is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #94
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,261
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
The "boy scout image" is an albatross hanging from Superman's neck, courtesy of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns,' where the Man of Steel was characterized as the loyal lapdog of a U.S. government gone wrong, acting faithfully without questioning the motives of his superiors, apparently possessing no individual will of his own.
That's how Frank Miller interpreted it, not the way it is. The Boy Scout nickname originated because Superman is someone who does what's right because it's right. That's not something you want to get away from.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #95
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: The Story.

No, you don't want to get away from that too much, but that doesn't mean Superman can't be cool, angry, gritty, or even have sex appeal at times.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #96
Sabaoth
Master
 
Sabaoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 955
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Please.

You've talked about giving Superman an all black costume, changing his origins, and changing his personality into something it has never been. You want to see a completely different character, who has Superman's powers and name, but that's about it.

I'm not interested in a Superman Lives type film.
That's not true. I just want to see a new take on the MOS, that's all.
Between black and white are many shades of gray.

Sabaoth is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #97
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,261
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
No, you don't want to get away from that too much, but that doesn't mean Superman can't be cool, angry, gritty, or even have sex appeal at times.
Gritty is already a trait of Superman, if you're referring to being courageous.

No one's saying he shoudn't get angry. Some of his best moments are when he's pushed to that point, like For the Man Who Has Everything.

But the Boy Scout must remain.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #98
KRIM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,661
Default Re: The Story.

The term carries negative connotations in relation to the character, so I don't know if that's exactly what people would event want. I've no issue with him upholding a very specific and idealized code of honor, but there are many ways to portray that.

I would say to get rid of the cornball cheesiness that has permeated many of the performances thus far.

KRIM is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #99
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,261
Default Re: The Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
The term carries negative connotations in relation to the character, so I don't know if that's exactly what people would event want. I've no issue with him upholding a very specific and idealized code of honor, but there are many ways to portray that.

I would say to get rid of the cornball cheesiness that has permeated many of the performances thus far.
Such as?

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #100
KRIM
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,661
Default Re: The Story.

I don't know what you're asking.

KRIM is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.