The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Tom Hiddleston Sent An Amazing Email To Director Joss Whedon After Reading 'The Aveng

Full article: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/to...-whedon-2014-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hiddleston, after reading early draft of The Avengers
Joss,

I am so excited I can hardly speak.

The first time I read it I grabbed at it like Charlie Bucket snatching for a golden ticket somewhere behind the chocolate in the wrapper of a Wonka Bar. I didn’t know where to start. Like a classic actor I jumped in looking for LOKI on every page, jumping back and forth, reading words in no particular order, utterances imprinting themselves like flash-cuts of newspaper headlines in my mind: “real menace”; “field of obeisance”; “discontented, nothing is enough”; “his smile is nothing but a glimpse of his skull“; “Puny god” …

… Thank you for writing me my Hans Gruber. But a Hans Gruber with super-magic powers. As played by James Mason … It’s high operatic villainy alongside detached throwaway tongue-in-cheek; plus the “real menace” and his closely guarded suitcase of pain. It’s grand and epic and majestic and poetic and lyrical and wicked and rich and badass and might possibly be the most gloriously fun part I’ve ever stared down the barrel of playing. It is just so juicy.

I love how throughout you continue to put Loki on some kind of pedestal of regal magnificence and then consistently tear him down. He gets battered, punched, blasted, side-swiped, roared at, sent tumbling on his back, and every time he gets back up smiling, wickedly, never for a second losing his eloquence, style, wit, self-aggrandisement or grandeur, and you never send him up or deny him his real intelligence…. That he loves to make an entrance; that he has a taste for the grand gesture, the big speech, the spectacle. I might be biased, but I do feel as though you have written me the coolest part.

… But really I’m just sending you a transatlantic shout-out and first-bump, things that traditionally British actors probably don’t do. It’s epic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon, email response
Tom, this is one of those emails you keep forever. Thanks so much. It’s more articulate (and possibly longer) than the script. I couldn’t be more pleased at your reaction, but I’ll also tell you I’m still working on it … Thank you again. I’m so glad you’re pleased. Absurd fun to ensue.

Best, (including uncharacteristic fist bump), joss.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston Sent An Amazing Email To Director Joss Whedon After Reading 'The A

Is Tom Hiddleston also a writer? Because he sure knows his words! Goosebumps reading his e-mail. The love for the character, the in-depth knowledge, the enthusiasm is shining crystal clear!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston Sent An Amazing Email To Director Joss Whedon After Reading 'The A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Is Tom Hiddleston also a writer? Because he sure knows his words! Goosebumps reading his e-mail. The love for the character, the in-depth knowledge, the enthusiasm is shining crystal clear!
He's British, that's why.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote