The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #26
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Default Re: Official Recommendations Thread...Revived....

Well guys just re-post and I will re-edit my quote of you. I really want to revive this thread, make it a very easy to use guide of recommendations and if possible assign a scale of maybe 1-10 to the comics in how good they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
One of the best Doom Stories in years was "Unthinkable". In which we see Doom go back to correct a mistake he made all those years ago. Choosing science over sorcory. He then lays down rightous vengence upon Richards and his family. Great stuff. Then you have the followup to that Athoriatative action. Where Reed attempts to get rid of Doom once and for all, starting by taking over Latveriea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Okay, I had read this a while ago and loved it, so when the new Hardback came out I picked it up and after looking through it again (and reading parts) I'm blown away again. So here's my review....

Earth X

I've heard a lot of criticism about this book and it put me off it for a long while until finally one day I figured, what the heck! I got every issue and read them through in a couple hours and though it was not an easy read I have to say that it's one of the best in depth stories I've read in a long time! Now this could be becaues I'm a huge Marvel fan, but I choose to believe that the story is just that good! I think a lot of people criticize it because they feel that it is Marvel's rip off version of DC's Kingdom Come, but I have to say that I don't care! Frankly I was bored to tears when I read Kingdom Come but Earth X had me issue by issue. I will say again, it isn't an easy read, but it is highly enjoyable and I strongly suggest it.

The story starts with Aaron Stack, who you may also know as X-51 or the Machine Man. It's years in the future and he's still trying to live as a human, as his father had made him. Then suddenly he's taken from his home and stripped of his false humanish appearance. He ends up on the moon and makes his way to an odd building and there he finds a large screan with the face of Uatu the watcher. We learn that Uatu is now blind, and can no longer see, and thus X-51 must now lose the humanity he's tried so hard to claim to become the new Watcher. Uatu tells him that this is a very important time in the life cycles of the Earth and that it must be watched and accounted for. Thus is the beginning of the story.

In the progress of the story we learn the entire history of the Marvel Universe and how all things such as the Eternals, Deviants, Immortals, Asguardians, all the differant Religions, etc. tie in to the Earth's History. We learn of a dark secret within the Earth's core and of it's connections to the Celestrials. Then we go on to the "current" world and we see that the world is no longer as X-51 remembers it. The Avengers are dead, the X-Men and Fantastic Four are disbanded, dead, and depressed. Spiderman has retired and lives a life of depression without his wife to love him, though he has a daughter, May, who is the new Venom, and his arc-rival, Norman Osborne, is president of the United States. The world's heros are few and far between and the strongest among them still is a frail old Captain America. The entire population has been transformed into Mutants by some unknown cause and the world is in a state of depression. X-51 must watch the coming days and weeks to see what has happened to his world and of what importance Uatu speaks of and I have to tell you that you won't believe all the stuff that you will learn.

There is just so much I want to share about the story but it would give away a lot of the things that make it great. I will say that it has a lot of interesting twists and turns and probably one of the most amazing final battles/conclusions that I've ever read in a comic! If you like it you can pick up its sequels, Universe X and Paradise X (in a series of tpb's but no hardcovers as of now). They're good too but nowhere near as good as Earth X. And don't worry,.. You can read Earth X all on it's own without the rest and it stands just fine. This hardback just came out so it should be fairly easy to find, but if you like tpb's then the series comes in those as well (I want to say it's either in 2 or 3 volumes). There is one other hardback that came out a while ago but it's in black and white and is more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killgore View Post
BONE
written and Illustrated by Jeff Smith

Bone Smith collects all 13 years of Jeff Smith's epic in a single, massive tome. At a cover price of $39.95, you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on any graphic novel. The series chronicles the adventures of plucky Fone Bone, scheming Phony Bone, and easygoing Smiley Bone. They leave their home of Boneville and are swept up in a yarn of royalty, dragons, and unspeakable evil forces out to conquer humankind. Smith's delightful writing and art calls to mind the high adventure and comedy of Walt Kelly and Carl Barks, as well as the innocence of Charles Shultz and imagination of Bill Watterson. Quintessential fun.

Quote:
AKIRA
written and illustrated by Katsuhiro Otomo

NEOTOKYO IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!!!

Akira tells the post-apocalyptic epic story of Neo-Tokyo, a Tokyo rebuilt after the uncontrolled growth of the superhuman powers of a child named Akira destroyed it. 30 years later, a gang of young bikers led by the cocky Kaneda is involved in a fight with a rival gang when the gang's youngest member, Tetsuo Shima, collides with a child escapee from a government psychic research program. Tetsuo is then taken to the research base with the child and subjected to various experiments. The tests awaken Tetsuo's own latent powers, with disastrous consequences both on the personal level, as old interpersonal conflicts with his friends resurface, and on the larger level, as Neo-Tokyo is threatened by another Akira incident.

Dark Horse recently released the entire unabridged 1000 page series in six volumes. Otomo's astounding artwork compliments the grandeur of the sweeping cyberpunk story. Not only is this the pinnacle of manga, it rivals the best western comics have to offer.

Quote:
MAUS: A SURVIVOR'S TALE
Written and illustrated by Art Spiegelman

Art Spiegelman's "Maus: A Survivor's Tale" is the autobiography of the author, Artie, and his father Vladek, a Holocaust survivor. Artie is a comic book artist who is trying to create art that is meaningful, not just commercial. As the two volumes of "Maus" unfold, he gradually learns the full story of his father's history as a Jewish survivor of the World War II Holocaust. Different nationalities are represented as different animals, hence Maus, or german for mouse. If the Jews are mice, then the germans of course are cats. Poles are pigs and americans are dogs. Spiegelman uses anthropomorphism not to set up an Itchy and Scratchy episode or Disney Holocaust movie, but takes the subject matter deadly seriously. The novel is as much about the survivors of the Holocaust and their account as it is about succeeding generation of survivors. This is truly an independent and personal comic that should be required reading of all those fanboys who consider Vertigo comics to be independent. This shows you that calling Preacher an "independent comic" is akin to labeling Revenge of the Sith an "independent film".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf lord View Post
I'm supprised no one has mentioned JSA yet. JSA, in my opinion, is the ultimate superhero team book. It has veterans (Green Lantern, The Flash, Wildcat and Hawkman), brains (Mr. Terrific and Dr. Mid-Nite), brawn (Captain Marvel and Power Girl), anti-heroes (Black Adam and Atom Smasher), and heart (Stargirl and Jakeem Thunder). It also has the most colorful group of characters of any comic book today. So, if character interaction is your thing, this book is for you.

This book isn't about two groups of people bashing eachothers brains out, it's more about what it takes to be a hero. Most of these heroes are newbies based on older heroes. JSA is about their journey to take up the mantle. Through them, we learn what makes a hero a hero, and more importantly what makes a man a man.

JSA has also had only a few regular artists (Steve Sadowski, Leonard Kirk and Don Kramer) in it's 80 issue run and all of each of have been nothing short of excelent. Even their fill-in artists (Rags Morales, Gerry Ordway, Buzz, ect) have been just as good, if not better than the regular artists. JSA is excelent when it comes to art.

And the best part about JSA is that you only need to read the current series to understand it. Most of the characters and story lines are new, so you're not bogged down with needless continuity. It can be overwhelming if you start out mid series, so here are the trades in order:

JSA Vol. 1: Justice Be Done
JSA Vol. 2: Darkness Falls
JSA Vol. 3: The Return of Hawkman
JSA Vol. 4: Fair Play
JSA Vol. 5: Stealing Thunder
JSA Vol. 6: Savage Times
JSA Vol. 7: Princes of Darkness
JSA Vol. 8: Black Reign
JSA Vol. 9: Lost.
Some others you may enjoy, but aren't needed:
The Justice Society Returns
JSA All Stars
JSA: The Liberty Files

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Official Recommendations Thread...Revived

PS3 Network Live Rhinocrs Steaks COD Black Ops Nazi Zombies

Avy fixed to work by HunterRider

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.
BAH HUMBBUG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #27
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Some absolute gems mentioned in here

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

So what I've done is assign a rating of X/100 based on how good I think the comic book is, now don't get all up in arms here but this is purely based on my opinion and what I've read, hence the more people vote, the more the scores will average out.

I know I haven't read a lot of the titles mentioned, but hey that's life. Also this is a work in progress and can only improve and I am going to be working on it for some time to come and really try to make this a must-go-to-list for all comic fans here.

If you guys want to just PM me your scores I will update accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker™ View Post
I'm going to recommend Batman: The man who laughs

This is my sceond favorite book of all time not just because I'm a Joker fanatic either.

Its a reenactment of Batman and Jokers first meeting that was in Batman #1 with added stuff.

Ed does a great Job at capturing Joker and all his twisted lovable ways.

The one-shot realigns the first meeting of the hero and his nemesis a little, in that it’s set just after Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli’s Batman: Year One, and thus shows a pre-Robin (he was there in the 1940 version) going up against the Joker for the first time.

There hasn't been any reprints of it yet and from what I hear it is hard to find.

I bought it for cover price, but saw it for 8 bucks a few weeks ago and I'm going to go pick that up soon.

Writer: Ed Brubaker
Artist/Cover: Doug Mahnke

Here are some pics:

Cover

Here a interview Newsarama did with Ed before it came out.

NRAMA: So where did this one come from for you? Was it something tossed your way as
an idea, or was it a story that you'd been nurturing along, that came together now?

Ed Brubaker: Well, it had an interesting genesis. It's no secret that when this was originally contracted, Steve Dillon was the announced artist. And this was a story I came up with because it was going to be Steve's one time drawing Batman, most likely, and I wanted it to be something really special and significant, if that was going to be the case. So, I looked through all the reference I could find, and realized that this was a story that was never told, at least not since 1940. So I thought, in the post-Year One world, how could there be a cooler story than that first Joker/Batman meeting?

As it turned out, Steve had to drop out of the project, but Mike Carlin gave the script to Doug Manhke and he loved it, so he fit it in around his JLA: Elite work, and he knocked it right out of the park. This is the work that got him that regular Batman gig, and when people see it, they'll understand that.

NRAMA: Timeline things here – you mentioned Year One, so this is set then, right?

EB: Right - this is just after the end of Year One, basically, though it's maybe a little fudged, because it has to be. One of the main ideas was to create some kind of believable link between Year One and the The Killing Joke, so as this story opens, it's a month or two after Batman last faced the Red Hood at the Ace Chemical plant.

NRAMA: So this story is the call that Batman got at the end of Year One, that some maniac calling himself the Joker is out and about?

EB: It is, and it isn't. As I say, I had to fudge it a little, but it is tied to that end scene in some ways. The main thing I tried to do was make sure that this is the same Batman and the same Gordon that were in Year One. That it feels right. But one of the big differences is this whole story takes place over the course of a week and is much more a suspense/mystery than Year One was. Year One is my hands-down favorite Batman story, but it's really more of a character study. It's a bunch of great scenes and character arcs, whereas this is more a plot-driven character piece, I think.

NRAMA: Since this is early in Batman's career, is he...prepared for the Joker? He came to fight more and more freaks as time went by, but early on, he was all about the street level crime, not maniacs dressed as clowns…

EB: Yeah, that's part of the point of the story. He grew up training to take on muggers, mobsters, and rapists, not thinking he'd run into things like the Joker, really. His parents were killed by a mugger, after all. So this is where we see the detective inside him come to life, see him trying to learn to understand the mindset of an insane killer.

NRAMA: On the other side of the coin, will this show a little of the early motivation of the Joker? A hint at some of his inner workings?

EB: I don't want to reveal too much, but there is a mystery here that Batman needs to solve to get the Joker, and that mystery has to do with the Joker's frame of mind.

NRAMA: Well, in that vein, back in his first "first appearance" by Kane & co, the Joker was almost Blofeldian in nature - castling his fingers while plotting. Is he at a similar starting point here, or is he a little...looser...mentally, speaking?

EB: Not well-trained enough to be crazy yet? No, he's the Joker we all know and love, and this is the story where he sort of finds himself, as it were.

NRAMA: You've written Batman and the Joker later in their lives/careers, and now you're handling it at the start. What's the magnetism between these two? Is there any special connection, as far as Batman is concerned, or is the Joker just a recurring pain in the ass, and nothing really that special?

EB: Again, I don't want to reveal anything, but that's a question that is at the heart of the story.

NRAMA: Does the Joker have any particular fascination with Batman, then?

EB: Not really. At the start of the story, like most of Gotham, he probably thinks Batman is a myth.

NRAMA: From your point of view, having written Batman at full steam, midcareer crimefighter, how's the Batman in this story different? Is he as confident? As sure of himself? Is there anything in him at this early point that's gone in his later years?

EB: I'm not sure. As a writer, it's certainly a bit freeing to do an early years story like this, because you don't have to deal with all the extra characters and continuity. It feels fresher. And in Batman's case, this era was simpler -- him and Gordon and Alfred, and that was it. His mission was his whole life, and we get to see him learning how to be more effective here, and realizing that his world is changing - that his job is going to be a lot bigger than he imagined it would be.

Quote:
BATMAN: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS
by Ed Brubaker and Doug Mahnke

This fantastic sequel to Batman: Year One was largely ignored during its release last year due no doubt to the plethora of Batman books that flooded the market attempting to capitalize on the movie’s release.

Although this is a great setup to the quintessential Killing Joke, Brubaker’s approach is in many ways the atheists of Moore’s theme of Batman and Joker traversing the well-trodden circular path of destruction. The story picks up right after the end of Year One and tells of Batman's first encounter with the Clown Prince of Crime in a realistic and gruesome fashion. Both characters are stripped of their iconic status and exude a fresh, figuring-out-things-as-they-go aura. The steps each take at this critical juncture defines that path they are destined to stick on. And in doing so, Brubaker introduces a few surprising twists on the onset of their inevitable journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
New recomendation:

Murder mysteries, by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell:

A young british man in Los Angeles sits down at a park bench late one night. An old man in a trench coat sits down beside him and offers to buy a cigarete off the young man. The young man refuses the money, so the elder gentlemen, who is in fact the angel of vengance, offers a story as payment instead. His story is that of the first murder in the history of the universe.

Murder Mysteries is a smart, dark story of love, loss, and murder. It's rather short (you could easily finish it in under an hour), but it's still damn good. It has both a film noir feel and a twilight zone feel about it, and the ending is rather creepy. If you like Neil Gaiman, get it. Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedManJRK View Post
I read that one a while back, and I second the recommendation.

Batman: EGO

There are two subtitles to this story, one on the cover, and the other inside the story:

"Our greatest battles take place within ourselves."
"A Psychotic slide into the heart of darkness."

Taking place in the early years of his career, after seeing a man he tried to apprehend commit suicide, Bruce becomes deeply guilty. Unable to cope with what had happened, he decides to quit Batman for good. Bruce is realived...until Batman comes in.

The story is, essentially, a long psychological deconstruction of the character, right down to the split of personas. The story explores his early years with his parents, the birth of Batman, the need of partners like Gordon and Robin, his rogues gallery, specifically the morality of murdering The Joker and the duality of Two-Face, and ultimately, why the two personas are together, and why the world truely needs Batman.

It's written and drawn beautifuly by Darwyn Cooke (The New Frontier). The art is like the animated series, but much darker, and the story is fantasically written, poingent, and extremely powerful look into the very heart and soul of the icon.

Essentially, those two different subtitles are very true.

Quote:
Batman: Venom

Written by Dennis O'Neil and drawn by Russel Braun, this is a tale of addiction, how it can affect even the strongest of us.

Batman comes to the rescue, to save a little girl who had been kidnapped and thrown into the sewers. As Batman finds her, the sewer starts to break apart, causing massive rocks to block Batman from the girl. He tries his best to lift the rocks away before the flodding waters could harm her, but he's just not strong enough, and the girl dies.

He's seduced by the designer drug that the father of the little girl produced. He starts taking these steroids, getting stronger by the day...but his morality and control slipps further and further away.

Soon, he realizes what he has become, and decides to kick the habit. Normally, people do this by going into rehab, taking substitions to slowly coax someone away from their drug of choice. But, Batman is not a normal person, and instead blocks himself into the cave, has Alfred lock him into the cave, and goes cold turkey in the seclusion of it, for a full month.

The story, though the villians are kinda two-demensional, is a great one, and the art is fantastic.

What is great about the story is that you really FEEL for the character, and you want him to rise up and win the day. These "hero rises again" stories might be a bit of a cliche', when it works well, it works WELL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman138 View Post

Has anybody mentioned Jimmy Corrigan The Smartest Kid On Earth yet? I didn't see it in the index. This is a MUST. You do not understand just how much can be done with this medium untill you read Jimmy Corrigan. Told in very minimal cartoon style by writer/illustrator Chris Ware the sequencing is where it really stands alone. Panels shrink to miniscule proportions and start to run in reverse only to split into two simultanious streams of thought that end up making you realize how damn conservitive most comics are. It is a must.

Understanding Comics is another must. Scott McCloud is in my humble opinion the expert on all things comics. He is one of the few people that see comics as an evolving artform. Who realizes that sequential art has much more room for changing how stories are told. Reading Understanding Comics, you will first be able to be proud to read comics, and then be pissed off at just about every other comic creator (aside from Chris Ware) for not taking it half as far as McCloud.

In the first place white people got no business playing the blues ever. At all. Under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f*** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of Khakis. The espresso machine is jammed. Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up? - George Carlin

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-29-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

I hope I got this right, I don't think you were a big fan of the other Cap book you mentioned Nubis, so I removed it.
Quote:
Um, the one he had right after heros reborn. "To serve and Protect." That was pretty good. Took on Lady deathstrike, Hydra, and the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Skrulls

Theres also Captain America: The New Deal which was post 9/11 Cap. You know, all political and everything. It was good. Those are the only two I own. No wait, I got Operation Rebirth, but that was just okay. Best cap stuff I've read was the current run and most of Busiek's run on Avengers. But then again, I haven't read much Cap.

The New Deal

Quote:
Oh yeah, and Captain America Lives Again. This was a very good alternate universe Cap story. Where the Nazi's won WWII and when cap awakens in the 60's they've taken over the U.S. So you know, joins up with the resistance lead by guys like Ben Grimm, Nick Fury, Reed Richards, and Tony Stark. Very good book.

Quote:
A Contract with God:

This is, quite possibly, one of the greatest comic books. Ever. The contract with God trilogy collects the stories of the residents of Dropsie Avenue in New York City, spanning from the late 1800s to the early 1970s. The stories are moving, gripping, and profound. You see the stories of a holy man losing his faith, a carpenter who feels he's just existing, not living, a lawyer trying to save his neighborhood, a family beeing torn apart, and many more. People always credit Stan Lee and Jack Kirby as the greats, but Will Eisner deserves ust as much if not more respect, for having crafted masterpeices like this. It's rather mature, so don't go buyin' it for the youngins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclones View Post
Actually, it is in tpb form. I know because I signed it out of my library a while back. I saw it on Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Urich View Post
Streets of Poison
Not found in a trade paperback anywhere. Go pick up the single issues.
I'm pretty sure it's Vol. 3 #372-378 but I couldn't swear by it.
Basically, Cap gets hopped up on drugs and gets in fights with lots of people. Kingpin, Crossbones, Daredevil, Punisher...
Lots of guest stars and cool fights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
knight of pendragon is about the british heroes..and a few not heard of teaming up under the power of the pendragon to fight a monster hell bent on destroying all..captain britain and union jack are in it and its a great read...especially the bits at the end!!

and the punisher becomes captain america is about..captain A get seriously injured and a replacement is needed,the government can only think of one manwho has the will and power to fill these big shoes..frank castle,it explains franks difficulty in assuming the honourable roile of captain america and he slips into punisher mode for a while...but with the right inspiration he becomes the great hero he deserves to be..

Quote:
BLANKETS
by Craig Thompson

Blankets is an autobiography that is about the author's three closest relationships, his brother Phil, his first love Riana and his relationship with God. All three of these stories crosscut with one another to form a quilt pastiche that is colored with the sense of loss he feels as he leaves each behind.

Damn, that synopsis doesn't do it justice. It makes it sound like a Hallmark made for Wifetime original movie. It isn't though. Thompson writes and draws with such sincerity and passion that the 600 page phone book of a Graphic Novel blitzes by. But read it while wearing a coat, or more appropriately a blanket, as Thompson's loose ink work evokes the frigid Wisconsin winter so impressively that my fingertips were frostbit after reading it.

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-29-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #30
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

I think this is right. Had to find the covers myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijya View Post
Deadpool was around pretty much before the standard arc format came into being, so I gotta point you towards specific issues. I would definitely suggest his first two miniseries, they were excellent. The first one was written by Fabian Nicieza with art by Joe Madureira,

the second was written by Mark Waid with Ian Churchhill art

the ongoing series was
written by Joe Kelly with art at first by Ed Mcguiness.

Joe did a great job on the series and really loved it, but quit with #33 after being frustrated by the back and forth situation about the book being canceled. The highlight of his run for me was the double sized issue #11, where DP gets thrown back in time and relives an old Spider-Man issue almost panel for panel (also get #10, which leads into 11, and features the GLA)

Couple people followed Joe, and it went downhill majorly with a few bad arcs, IMO, but others disagree. Highlights after Kelly left IMO are #37 (where he gets Thor's Hammer), #42 (a parody of an old GI JOE comic that was an all silent issue), and 66-67 (where DP is hired to take out the rhino, and... well, you'll just need to read it yourself, it's too messed up)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH HUMBBUG! View Post
The Thanos Quest & Infinity Gauntlet
Wow...way to go BAH! What a lame summary.

Written By: Jim Starlin
Art By: Ron Lim

I am sure that most people know about The Infinity Gauntlet and what it's all about, but if you want the small side story -takes place between Silver Surger 34-50 - that basically shows how Thanos goes about actually obtaining the Infinity Gems and becoming a near god, this small two issue mini series is great. Without ruining too much he becomes aware of how powerful the gems are, who has them and their lack of understanding what they are truly capable of.

It may be a little harder to find but not very difficult.

Quote:
Frank Miller's 300

Frank Miller is mostly known for his operatic and violent takes of urban mayhem--from The Dark Knight Returns to Born Again to Sin City. Even his dwelve into Sci-Fi, Martha Washington Saves the World, features a young woman with that mentality.

300, however, is quite different. Taking place in 480 B.C., 300 is, you might say, the biggest under-dog story ever told--the warrior nation Sparta's king, Leonidas and 300 of his best soldiers versus King Xerxes of Persia, with a massive army from all corners of the world who aims to take over all of Greece. What's different is the Spartans KNOW they will be annialiated, but they fight on anyway. Why? Because they are SPARTANS. They have lived their lives to fight for their nation, and they will gladly die for their cause.

Miller doesn't just create a huge, epic, operatic story, but huge, epic, operatic, TRUE story. With the exception of some small differences (like the traitor Ephialtes being a hunchbacked, ugly Spartan), history buffs will see that Miller really researched his stuff here. You could almost teach a class about the epic battle of Thermopylae with this story alone (which would make a very b***hin' class, wouldn't you say?

Miller really brings the house down with this story. His writing is simple and slightly poetic, giving just enough internalization but have enough symbolic stuff to make the characters more than just fighting machines but understanding that that's what they were born to be--fighting machines. Miller really brings out his best art here, telling most of the details through the pictures (which really makes sence--the Spartans are too busy shoving a spear through someone's ass to make time for internalized thought).

This is a beautiful, poetic story that will make you believe in fighting to the death for what you believe in.

My recommendation: F**k the single issues, get the HC. It's pretty expensive (30 smackers), but with the sturdy binding and beautiful printing, it's worth the moolah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post
My recommend this

Sandman Mystery Theatre, In this noir detective tale of intrigue, bigotry and incest, millionaire Wesley Dodds takes on the costumed persona of the Sandman to catch a sadistic killer in 1930s New York. Donning a gas mask, fedora, business suit and cape, Dodds goes after the Tarantula, a brutal kidnapper who is mercilessly preying upon the women of high society. But as the Sandman walks through a world of corruption and deceit, he uncovers the true secret of the murders and their implausible connection to the city's most prominent family. If you're enjoying Batman and the monster men then you probably like this as it's written by Matt Wagner. Theres four trades out (the face and the brute, the vamp and the scorpion). Question does milehighcomics do international shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
here's a review of Testament (Vertigo's best new title) just for CTOAN
Quote:
These days, the best view of where our screwed-up country may be heading is often found between the pages of comics. Each writer's world provides a different spin on where we might be headed, each one creepier than the last. We've seen it done by the greats of the genre like Alan Moore and Warren Ellis, rising stars like Brian Wood, and now by a self-proclaimed "media theorist" whose previous works are nonfiction books with titles like Nothing Sacred: The Truth about Judaism and Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say.

Testament is not a book about religion. Its modern-day characters never discuss religion. Instead, it's a book about what we can really learn from religious texts. It's taken the Old Testament (the Torah) as a model and grafted a sci-fi future over it. Its world is peopled with college-age rebels, microchip implants, and creepy reprogramming machines. Oh yeah, and some meddling pagan gods, too.

Dystopia is a favorite theme in the Vertigo world especially, though one could argue that this is true of comics in general as well. The difference between Vertigo and most comic universes is its lack of a superhero who can be counted upon to be "the good
guy." Testament has people with super powers, sure, but they aren't our focus, they're gods. Our heroes are a very human family, two scientists whose technology is being abused in ways they claim to have never expected, let alone intended. Of course, they realize the horrors they've unleashed when their works are about to be used on their own son, Jake, who is out to rescue his girlfriend from the clutches of a totalitarian but eerily familiar government.

Jake's situation has been complicated even more by his nubile former student, now working on esoteric methods of resistance with Jake's friendly neighborhood
rebels. And all of this gets even more complex with the arrival of some very nasty, Matrix-esque buglike robots.

Still think it's a book about religion?

The Testament part comes in with parallel scenes from the Bible and the modern world, not to preach the Gospel but to show us all the lessons that haven't been learned so well from the ancient stories on which three major religions base their teachings. In a time crammed with warring fundamentalisms, a reexamination of these themes seems very appropriate indeed.

Douglas Rushkoff is a social theorist and writer making his first foray into comics, but he doesn't write like it. His characters are still alive and breathing, not just walking theories spouting rhetoric. With luscious illustration by Liam Sharp, Rushkoff can put his ideas across in a manner that doesn't come across as didactic. You can read Testament like you'd read a super-hero book, enjoy the art and the action and the hot girls, or you
can dig deeper into the layers of meaning and find it challenging your ideas about religion, government, family, and love, as well as right and wrong.

Testament is just getting started, but it's shaping up to stay on my must-read list for a very long time. Don't be afraid to read books that make you think. Comics don't have to be pure escapism.

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #31
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Here's another one:

It's a bird.....

A comic book writer named Steven is given the opourtunity of his career. A run on Superman. And he's not interested. Not because he doesn't want the noteriety. But because he just doesn't get Superman. He can't get into his head. He can't figure out what makes the greatest hero of the DC universe tick. To make matters worse, he's in the midst of some serious family issues. His father and aunt have myseteriously disapeared, and it's not doing anything but bringing out old memories of when his grandmother died. This story serves as both a very good character study of the Man of Steel, but also a look at how we cope with the problems of every day life. By finding the Superman in us all. Also, the art kicks all kinds of ass.
Quote:
Dead Boy Detectives

Okay, remember those two ghost kids from that story about the haunted private school in the fourth volume of Sandman? Well, this is about them. To ocupy their unlives, they've become private detectives. They specialize in crimes against children, since only kids, young teenagers, and the psychically gifted can see them on a regular basis. Regular adults can see them too if they want to be seen. Here, they get caught up in a mystery in a Chicago private school involving a missing student. The book is rather weird, quite amusing, and apealing a bit to the female audiences (even though I found it quite enjoyable). The art is done in a rather Japanese style. There's also some cameos by Death, Dream, Delirium, and Despair. And, just so you know, it's not written by Gaiman. However, he did oversee it's creation to make sure everything was in character and up to snuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
I still need to pick this one up

I've read Jill Thompsons other "Endless" books...both excellent -

This one's written in the style of a children's book and is about Destruction's dog Barnabas after he was given to Delirium to look after her... well, he loses her and goes on a quest to find her visiting all the Endless realms.

This story takes place during Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists...after Hell's inhabitants are kicked out, many show up in Death's realm where Despair and Delirium throw them a party and Death has to figure out a way to get rid of them.

Quote:
I recently read Grendel: Red, White, & Black. It was pretty good. It seemed like a lot of one shots depicting various points in the original Grendel's life. Explaining why he was the way he was. How badass he was. Introducing Argent the Wolf and how he became obsessed with bringing Grendel down. And of course, they're battles as well as final Battle. Yeah, it was really good. Had great art. Lots of people contributed like Jim Mahfood, Michael Zulli, Darick Robertson, Phil Noto, and Mike Huddleston. I'd recommend it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Green View Post
I have read some of, if not the best writing of Bendis (DD), Brubaker (Cap, DD), Millar (Ultimates), Ennis (Preacher, Punisher), PAD (Hulk, X-Factor) and a few others...

But THIS is why Greg Pak is my favorite writer Marvel has right now: Planet Hulk. No compression. No pointless dialogue. No bad dialogue at all. Some of the best action scenes that I have ever seen actually.

Planet Hulk features PAD's latest incarnation of the big green guy. Not all dumb, with all the power of a savage Hulk. And this is a character that Pak knows how to write too. No bad characterization here.

It is Gladiator meets Star Wars in the MU. Hulk is cast out of Earth by the people that he has saved countless times. He is extremely weakened on the way to the planet and finds himself not being the "strongest" anymore. However he is still pretty strong and he is still the Hulk. He is given a chance to win freedom as a gladiator.

Will he help the oppressed people of this world? Will he fight the emperor? Will he conquer the people?

Aside from this plot you also get a look inside Hulk's mind. Pak is doing a hell of a job showing Hulk's resentment for being betrayed and viewed by all as a monster.

Planet Hulk's first issue (92) has gone into reprint and it's second (93) is soon to be going into reprint so it won't be hard to hunt these down.

Give the first issue a try and if you like it finish out the rest of the first arc. It is four issues and I am almost positive that you will love the pacing and writing style.

I havn't met anyone who did NOT like Planet Hulk so far, so give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-owl View Post

Here's one for you Torso by Brian Michael Bendis & Marc Andreyko. It's about Elliot Ness's hunt for the Cleveland torso muderer, its also being made into a movie directed by David Fincher.
Quote:
It's essentially a story set in the 1980's, near the end of the Cold War, and an agency finds a regular person who they train as a secret agent.

That's all I'm going to say, because the fun is finding out what happens and who screws over who.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH HUMBBUG!
Batman: The Cult

I love these books I had all four when I was younger then my douche bag of a friend borrowed two and turned into a douche bag. I wound up buying them later on to replace them and it was worth the money. A litle uncommon but not overly so. They should be fairly easy to find. I don't want to give anything away but the title should imply what the story is about. A cult, lead by a preacher type character that actually
breaks the Batman, but his vegence is priceless
. Highly reccommended if you haven't read it yet :up

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #32
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

I remember when this thread first started and how it was a gateway to a very expensive habit. Thanks a lot, jerks.

Eddie Campbell's Alec Stories (Collected in Alec: The Years Have Pants and The Fate of the Artist.)

Eddie Campbell is definitely more well know for Alan Moore's tale of Jack the Ripper but personally my favorite work of his, and one of my favorite comic works of all time is Campbell's autobiographic work through his alter ego Alec. Campbell not only recounts stories from his life but explores the world of art, comics, and wine. One of my favorite stories is an anecdote of the rise and fall of Moore's magnum Opus Big Numbers.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #33
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

I think I just came across your old posts about all of the comics you were picking up. Good to see people starting to participate again.

Quote:
Might I recommend:

Loveless: A Kin of Homecoming

Written by the usually-noir-scribing Brian Azzarello, it is a brilliant spaghetti western set during the reconstruction of the south after the Civil War.

The story starts in Blackwater, Missouri, where Wes Cutter, just recently out from a Northern prison camp, comes back to his hometown, his land, and his wife, Ruth, when he finds out that his land has been taken by the Union after the fall of the Confederates. This is only the beginning to Cutter's bloody course, that is hard to dicipher at this point...considering almost all the main players in the soon-to-be major bloodfest have mysteries surrounding them.

Despite that, it's a great story, and I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Jake View Post
New X-Men vol 1: E is for Extinction

Morrison had some great ideas for fixing the X-Men, the Morrison Manifesto included in this tpb is a great, interesting read. A good extra. I agree with pretty much everything he proposes and then executes in the book. Plus he has typical Morrison fooked-out ideas. Black Bug Room? He's on the weed and I love it. I dug this trade. Too bad Quitely couldn't do the art on all 4 included issues (3 out of 4 ain't bad).
8/10

Quote:
Chosen
by Mark Millar and Peter Gross

To say too much about this book would ruin the experience of reading it for the first time. Suffice it to say, Chosen is about a twelve-year-old boy named Jodie who discovers that he is the returning Jesus Christ, miracles and pop culture references included. But remember, this was written by Mark Millar, not Mitch Albom. Basically, Chosen makes Preacher look like the Watchtower and Awake.
Quote:
CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER
by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting

Brubaker's Captain America reads like the 24 of superhero comics. It is a blend of suspense, intrigue and espionage. Even though it follows modern decompressed storytelling aiming at the trades, every blitzkrieg issue is filled twists, turns and flashbacks, some fascinating and genuinely shocking and others improbable. To even give the premise would blow an early surprise involving the Red Skull and a cosmic cube. Plot aside, Cap hasn’t been this pertinent since the 1970’s Steve Englehart run. Brubaker returns to the roots of Cap and makes him into a soldier again, while actually making Bucky pretty badass and believable in flashback scenes. And enough cannot be said about Epting's remarkably realistic and yet gritty, penciled in the trenches, artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclones View Post
I didn't know where else to post this, but this seems like a good place:

I was in Barnes and Nobles today and I noticed that huge Ultimate Spider-Man book (the one that contains 40 issues or so) for 1/2 off. That makes it $25, which is a pretty good stinkin' deal. I'll include the review that is with the book, since it's been a while since I read each issue and couldn't really do them justice.
Quote:
Ultimate Spider-Man Collection

FROM THE PUBLISHER
"With great power, there must also come great responsibility."

In 1962, these prophetic words launched one of the most successful and recognizable characters of the Twentieth century — Spider-Man! The powers granted to bookish Peter Parker by a radioactive spider have fueled the imaginations of fans worldwide for nearly 40 years. With the dawning of a new age, however, comes a hero for a new millennium — Ultimate Spider-Man!

This exclusive edition collects the first three Ultimate Spider-Man hardcovers in their entirety!

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1: High school, puberty, first dances — there are many pitfalls to being young. Compound these with intense personal tragedy and super powers, and you can start to visualize the world of Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man.

Following the murder of his uncle and the Green Goblin's assault on his high school, Peter finds himself on the brink of manhood: getting a job as a webmaster at the Daily Bugle newspaper to help support his widowed aunt, and taking on extracurricular activities . . . such as bringing down the Kingpin, the head of organized crime in New York City!

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2: Only two people know Peter Parker's secret identity — one is his best friend, confidante, and girlfriend Mary Jane Watson. The other — ruthless businessman Norman Osborn, otherwise known as the Green Goblin. In their first battle, Norman nearly killed Peter before his own apparent death. But now, the Goblin has returned, more powerful than ever before. And Osborn will use his knowledge of Peter's double identity to control the teenager — threatening the lives of Mary Jane and his beloved Aunt May if Peter refuses to obey. Will Spider-Man be forced to serve his greatest enemy to protect his loved ones from harm?

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 also features the dramatic introductions of two classic foes to the Ultimate Spider-Man series. After an explosive laboratory accident grafted monstrous metal tentacles to his body, Otto Octavius became Doctor Octopus. Swearing vengeance on his enemies, Doc Ock takes his battle public, with Spider-Man caught in the crossfire. In the midst of this media frenzy, Kraven the Hunter — the most dangerous man alive — announces he's hunting the ultimate game: Spider-Man. Will Peter become Kraven's latest catch, all for the sake of boosting TV ratings?

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 3: Once, Richard Parker and Eddie Brock Sr. were partners, researchers working together to cure cancer. As their young sons played, these two scientists tirelessly pursued their dreams . . . until a tragic plane crash took both their lives. Orphaned, Peter and Eddie Jr. went their separate ways. Years later, the discovery of a forgotten childhood videotape inspires Peter to look up his old pal, now a college student at Empire State University. Their reunion reveals a shocking secret: the existence of an experimental protoplasmic bodysuit developed by their fathers. When Peter attempts to pick up where his father left off, he quickly learns how dangerous the murky liquid really is — and swears to destroy it. Enraged by Peter's seeming betrayal, Eddie uses his father's creation to become Spider-Man's deadliest villain: the maniacal Venom. Forced to battle his former best friend, can Spider-Man defeat Venom without killing Eddie in the process?

Plus: To the public at large, it could be anyone behind that mysterious Spider-Man mask. When a common thug impersonates New York's most famous web-slinger to rob banks across the city, Spider-Man must take action to save his reputation before he becomes Public Enemy No. 1!
THE CREATORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post

Title: Adam Strange Planet Heist

Writer/Artist: Andy Diggle, Pascual Ferry

Publisher: DC Comics

Summary: The story is about adventurer and Earth archeologist Adam Strange, he has been a man of two worlds ever since a Zeta-Beam accidentally transported him to another planet, one much more technologically advanced than our own, he fell in love, got married, had a child, and adopted Rann as his new home. However, the Zeta-Beam effect only lasts so long. The story picks up back on Earth with Adam awaiting the next Zeta-Beam transport, one that would never come. Follow the mystery of what happened to Rann and the accused Adam Strange’s desperate quest to find out what has become of his family, and witness an ordinary Earthman defy all odds and stand in the way of the Universe’s ultimate evil.

Strange has come a long way since being portrayed as a swashbuckling sci-fi hero. Writer Andy Diggle has taken a character that I had a passing familiarity with and updated him by advancing his technology and casting him in a new light while Pascual Ferry modernized his look into one of the best character designs in recent memory. Strange is established as a sympathetic and likable protagonist, and honestly this short series has made him into one of my favorite DC characters. I would describe the series as a wonderfully epic, touching, and suspenseful undertaking, it helps flesh out the space aspect of the DCU, and it is something comics haven’t been in a long time - fun. Pure, simple, unadulterated fun. I anticipated each issue with great fervor, yet I had no idea why. Also keep in mind you need no background to pick this up and enjoy it - it’s that good.

Andy Diggle writes crisp dialogue with intriguing plots. He’s updated a character almost forgotten, and done so logically. I’m telling you right now, the man will be a superstar writer in comics within a year, I have yet to read a poor story by him, he writes engrossing stories that have that special quality to them.

Pascual Ferry produced the work of his career here. He experiments with different styles and pushes the boundaries of art. It’s quite honestly beautiful to look at, clean lines muted tones with wonderful slick character designs perfectly realized for such a space adventure.

Bottom line - it’s a shame it didn’t turn into an ongoing, but it’s a great contained story. Buy it because it’s fan-****ing-tastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry2005 View Post

[FONT="Times New Roman"]Title: Astonishing X-Men
Writer/Artist: Joss Whedon/John Cassaday
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Summary:

Let’s be honest, we all remember the first time we read, watched, or heard of the X-Men. And it was great. A set of heroes who could’ve been anyone, they just happened to be mutants. They didn’t choose to be that way, and they were persecuted because of something beyond their control. This is something any teenager can empathise with.
But what if you did have a choice, what if that thing which was making you different could be taken away, and you could, for the first time in a long time, be normal. That’s the question that arises in the first arc of Astonishing X-Men, ‘Gifted’. When a cure is found, this new and fragile version of the X-Men must look at them selves hard and see if what they want to be and what they need to be are the same thing…

This is the X-Men back at their best for the first time in a long time. It’s a small core group, no distractions, just good solid relationship development with super heroics thrown into the mix. Lets face it, its what Whedon does best. And it’s the perfect starting point for anyone who wants to get back into X-Men after a long time away, or those who have never so much as glanced at a X-men comic. Not to mention the art, which is stunning. The story hits the right notes and doesn’t miss a beat.

Format:[COLOR=black][SIZE=3] This is an ongoing, currently up to issue 15. The first 12 issues are collected in two soft cover trades, as well as an over sized hardcover. The hardcover is where the bargain is, as you get bonus features galore. It also, in my opinion, increases the value of the art, which looks simply beautiful. The single issues have been bi-monthly since issue 13, but will revert to monthly with the next issue.

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-30-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post

Title:
100%

Writer/Artist: Paul Pope

Publisher: Vertigo

Summary: Set in the near future Pope uses his fluid narative style to tell a characheter driven story involving prize-fighters busboys and exotic dancers. (like nothing you've ever seen before, you get a look inside these girls, literally - gastro) Essentially a romantic tale with a science fiction bend, the strength is in Pope's ability to sell his vision of the future and bring you into the world the characters inhabit with a pop art and hyper-stylistic tale. It's artistic, weird, fun, enlightening and critcally acclaimed, but most of all it's a Must-not-miss.

Format: OGN, Original Graphic Novel

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...lance&n=283155

Quote:

Title:Gotham Central
Writer/Art:Greg Rucka/Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark
Publisher:DC Comics
Genres: Crime, Police Drama, some superheroics

Summary: In Gotham, Batman rules the night and criminals everywhere fear the bat. Batman gets the front page headlines but the Gotham City Police Department are the heroes in this book. Written by Greg Rucka (Queen and Country) and Ed Brubaker(Sleeper/Captain America) Gotham Central depicts the lives of Gotham’s finest as detectives of the Major Crimes Unit deal with the crimes dealt by the villains of Gotham City. Sometimes ending with chilling consequences....literally.

Gotham Central began as a pitch for a Jim Gordon solo title but evolved into one of the greatest series in the last 20 years. Most of the characters aren’t well known but by the end of the first issue you’ll grow to care about them as they struggle to keep up in the growing shadow of The Batman. Michael Lark’s art here is dark and moody and very noir. Perfectly depicting this crime drama. If youre a fan of Batman, crime stories and shows like NYPD Blue and Homicide this is one book you can’t miss.

Format:This ongoing series was recently cancelled at 40 issues but is slowly being collected into trades. So far there are 3 trades all avialble at Amazon.com or your local comic book store.

Gotham Central Vol. 1: In the Line of Duty

Gotham Central Vol. 2: Half a Life

Unresolved Targets (Gotham Central, Vol. 3)

write-up originally by Darthphere
Quote:

Title: Fray
Writer/Artist: Joss Whedon, Karl Moline
Publisher: Dark Horse
Summary: Fray is a book I'm sure most casual comics fans haven't heard of. For all you know, Joss Whedon's first comic work was Astonishing X-Men. Well, you'd be wrong. Whedon wanted to ease himself into the medium so he decided to stick with a subject he was familiar writing: The Buffyverse. The twist? This book is set in the Buffyverse...hundreds of years in the future. The sitch: Hundreds of years ago (around present time, judging from the art's depiction of female fashion), a Slayer, possibly aided by mystical companions, fought an apocalyptic battle that ended with the banishment of all demons and magic from our dimension (it's left up to the reader to interpret whether or not this was Buffy's accomplishment, though I find that it's implied that it was in fact her). The Slayer herself disappeared as well, and since no mystical danger was present anymore, the Slayer lineage stopped. There was no Slayer for years.

Until Melaka Fray. A young girl who has always been physically talented ("I've always been good at stuff"), she is pulled from her life as a professional thief and has the burdens of Slayership thrust upon her. In a world that has never known magic or demons, where the term "vampire" is completely unfamiliar, this is a strange trip. This is not to say that big, ugly monsters are an oddity; radiation freaks are a common occurence in "The Lowers", the dilapidated portion of city life.

Whedon does what he does best here, creating believable characters that you grow to care about over a short amount of time. Feel the pain as Melaka flashes back to her brother's death, which she feels responsible for. Know the tension between Melaka and her sister, a police officer who hasn't forgiven her for letting their brother die. See demons and vamps reintroduced after hundreds of years and see the fear they bring all over again. It's magic, and it's all captured brilliantly by the pencils of Karl Moline. He has a real knack for expressive faces, and his art and the bright coloring applied to it make for some great visuals. Make no mistake: this book will be loved most by a Buffy/Angel fan. The familiarity will really increase your enjoyment, as you can pick up on little throwaway references and such (note the ancient Slayer's weapon Fray receives, created in this book and later introduced in season 7 of Buffy). Fortunately, it's easy to read without prior knowledge of the Buffyverse, and might actually get you hooked enough to go out and pick up some DVDs. All in all, a teriffic little unknown story.
Format: Fray is available in trade paperback format. The trade has an introduction by Jeph Loeb, a foreword by Joss Whedon, and preliminary sketches as well as unused but finished art by Karl Moline.
Quote:

Title: Hellboy
Writer/Artist: Mike Mignola
Publisher: Dark Horse
Summary: You've seen the movie, probably. Hellboy, a big red devil-looking sonuvab***h, investigates paranormal activity with a group of other paranormals. That's the gist. But the flick just CANNOT compete with the comics.

The comics are dark and beautiful and creepy and silly and deadly serious. You always know when to laugh and when to read with reverence, and that's pretty high praise for a book that has a fishman in it. Mignola's art is gorgeous, and it will have you stopping and staring at little details before you turn to the next page and stare all over again. Everything about this series is just filled with everything good about comics. It's a fun, fun series. To begin, pick up Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, the first trade paperback. Open it up and the pages will look like they spilled out of your sleeping mind at age 12; there's nazi magic, big green monsters, shadows, tentacles, fire, and guns. It is everything a comic should be, and the second volume is even better than the first. The first volume is indeed the best to start with, though, as it contains a quick run-over of Hellboy's origin, and the movie used a lot of this book for plot, so there should be some familiarity for you. Plus, there is a loose chronology to the series, so, just start with Seed of Destruction, okay?

Format: This series had some nice trade paperback rereleases around the time of the movie, so those would be the ones to pick up in my estimation. The first has extras including an introduction by Robert Bloch, 2 short, early Hellboy comics, some preliminary sketches of Hellboy from way back when he was just a budding concept in Mignola's mind, and some Hellboy art done by various big names in the biz.

Quote:

Title: Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Writer/Artist: Brian Azzarello/Lee Bermejo
Summary: Ever wonder what goes through the mind of a guy like Lex Luthor? What are his reasons for hating Superman? Well, this book will give you a peek into the mind of a self proclaimed hero to mankind. An Idealist who is here to stand up for Humans against this alien menace, even if they don't know they need protecting. We get to can Superman from his perspective, amazingly done by Lee Bermejo. Superman looks like a monster in this book. Make no mistake, Supes is the badguy in this book. A God pretending to be a man. Come down to Earth to play with the mere mortals. By the end, you might even find yourself agreeing with Lex. Azzarello really out did himself on this one.

This book is a must read for those that like to see things from the villains point of view for a change. If books like Villains United, Suicide Squad, or Dr. Doom/ Dr. Strange Triumph and Torment are your cup of tea, then this books for you.

Format: This book is collected in Trade paperback form.

You can find a copy at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...659030?ie=UTF8

write-up originally by Anubis

Quote:

Title:Superman: Birthright
Writer/Artist:Mark Waid and Leinil Francis Yu

Summary: In 2004 DC Comics decided the time had come to revamp one of the more popular origins in history, that of Superman. Mark Waid set out to modernize the man of steel and give him a new edge. Mixing the traditional origin elements we all know and love with some Smallville-esque details, Superman Birthright tells one of the best Superman stories ever. The plot is simple to the point, Lex Luthor, Superman’s arch-nemesis and one time friend to Clark Kent has accessed Kryptonian knowledge and sets out to re-enact a Kryptonian alien invasion and blame Superman for it! The following is just action out of a Jerry Bruckheimer summer movie.

Leinil Francis Yu provides the pencils and he really excels in his epic set pieces. Superman Birthright is no longer the definitive Superman origin but definitely a great new addition to the Superman library. If you enjoy Smallville this is the book for you.

Format: A 12 issue mini-series, it has been collected in hardcover(out of print) and trade paperback.

Superman: Birthright

write-up originally by Darthphere
Quote:

Title:1602
Writer/Artist:Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert
Publisher:Marvel Comics

Summary: Neil Gaiman, acclaimed writer of Sandman brings to you this great series of a reimagined Marvel Universe, a universe that soley exists in the year 1602. Gaiman brings his magical writing style to a world in 1602 England where much unrests has begun. Elizabeth I is the queen and many are attempting to take her life. But her head of security Sir Nicholas Fury (wink wink) does all in his powers to stop that from happening. At the same time the Spanish begin their inquisition as those dubbed the witch breed. Beings born with supernatural powers. A lot of these characters are instantly recognizable and some aren’t. Gaiman keeps you guessing as you try to figure out what role does everyone play and keeps you fascinated with his depictions of your favorite marvel characters in a completely new setting.

Andy Kubert provides the art here as his crisp pencils really are a one two punch combined with Gaiman’s writing. The highest of quality is also presented as I cant fail to mention Richard Isanove’s coloring really sets the mood. A wonderful story this book will keep you entertained till the last page. A definite must have for any Marvel fan. There was also a sequel that might be worth checking out.

Format:An 8 issue mini-series collected in hardcover and trade paperback.

Marvel 1602 (Hardcover)

Marvel 1602 (Paperback)

Marvel 1602: New World

write up originally by Darthphere
Quote:

Title: Exiles (Judd Winick’s Run)
Writer: Judd Winick
Artist: Mike McKone, Jim Calafiore
Genres: Superheroes, Alternate Realities

Summary:
Take superheroes, Sliders and Quantum Leap throw them in blender and you’d come out with Exiles. It's a story of a group of people that have become "unstuck" in time, and must hop from dimension to dimension trying to fix problems in hopes of repairing the damage that caused them to become unstuck. If you’re new to comics it’s an enjoyable read because you’re getting in on the ground floor with a bunch of characters that don’t have 100 of issues of back story to slog through (Save Blink who’s from the Age of Apocalypse Universe). If you’re a comic book veteran you’ll get to see some of your favorite comic moments with a twist, see your favorite characters in different universes, and just be taken on a wild ride. With a character like Morph, who by the end of this run will be one of your favorite character ever or you have no soul, this book can be hilariously funny but it can also be tragic and heartbreaking. The team will lose some members, be forced to fight in a gladiator style arena, and meet up with Mojo, just to name a couple of the adventures they find themselves on as they try and fix the cracks in multiverse.

Format: An ongoing series, that's been collected into Trades

From Amazon.com
"Down the Rabbit Hole"
A World Apart
Out of Time
Legacy
Fantastic Voyage

write up originally by Lactophiliac
Quote:

Title: Arrowsmith: So Smart in their fine Uniforms
Writer/Artist: Kurt Busiek/Carlos Pacheco
Publisher Wildstorm Signature
Summary War is hell. Weather it's with guns or dragons, it's still a universal truth. The team that brought us Avengers Forever, Kurt Busiek and Carlos Pacheco, bring us this epic fantasy War story of Arrowsmith. We follow the exploits of one, Fletcher Arrowsmith: Areo Corps. Arrowsmith takes place in an alternate universe were magic is in fact real, and has become entrenched throughout all of society. From the mundane, to the complex. And the first world war is no exception. We see Arrowsmith grow from a adventurous and naive young man, looking to become a hero in war, to a person who has seen the pain and heart ache that war brings, and understands that he was a fool to look for excitement and glory in battle.
If you like Fantasy, stories, then you will love the world Pacheco and Busiek have created in this book. Dragons, dwarfs, trolls, flying cavalry, and special vampire units. It's just mind-blowing what they've come up with. If you don't dig fantasy, then this is still a great read, because despite all the other stuff, it's still a great war story.

Format This book is collected in trade paperback. It has sketches and maps of this world they have created as a bonus. Which can only enhance the story.

Heres a copy at Amazon. com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...659030?ie=UTF8

write up originally by Anubis

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 05-01-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #35
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:

Title: Captain Marvel Vol 4

Writer/Artist: Peter David/Chris Cross, Michael Ryan, Paul Azaceta, Aaron Lopresti, Ivan Reis, and Kyle Hotz

Summary: What happens when having omnipotence comes back to bite you in the ass? You lose your mind of course. That's basically the running theme here in PAD's critically acclaimed run on Volume 4 of the Captain Marvel series. We bear witness to the fall of a hero. Done in by his own powers. Genis Vel, after a good couple of years as successor to his legendary father, Captain Mar-Vel, has finally come into his own. He's mastered Cosmic Awareness, or so he thought. How does Genis go from up and coming hero to nutbag? Well, usually, when you have to chose, weather or not to save a planet full of people, or one young girl, the answer is simple. Needs of the Many and all that. Genis thought that too, until he sees that he just let the next space ghandi die. Realizing what he let happen, this totally shatters Genis' mind beyond repair. Now, out of his mind, Genis starts down a road of madness that takes him on a wild ride throughout the Marvel Universe while Rick Jones (Superhero sidekick extraordinaire) is forced to sit back and watch it all.

Peter David, along with his many collaborators put together an epic run that takes you from the mean streets of Marvel New York, to the spires of Asgard, to the end of the Universe, and even to the far future of the Marvel Universe. This run was great. It had action, drama, and lets face it, crazy guys with God like powers are always a laugh riot.

Format: This entire run is collected in trade paperback format. Starting with Nothing to Lose, Coven, Crazy like a Fox, and finishing up with Odyssey.

You may be able to find them at your local LCS, or Tales of Wonder.com
http://talesofwonder.com//search/ses...+Marvel&op=and

write up origianlly by Anubis

Quote:

Title: We3
Writer/Artist: Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely
Publisher: DC Vertigo
Genres: Sci-Fi

Summary: It's got an interesting title, doesn't it? "We3". As you may have guessed from the cover image, We3" is a group of 3 cybernetic animal weapons. Stripped of their old names and assigned numbers instead they--1, a dog, 2, a cat, and 3, a rabbit--have been turned into super-powered weaponry by the US government, intended for military use, in order to prevent the risk of human lives. The project is canceled, the animals ordered exterminated. They have a problem with that.

The book is decidely on the "pro" side of animal rights, which is good, but the better part is that this story is just beautiful. What a perfect melding of script and art. Morrison weaves a stirring, emotional tale, and not only does Quitely emote the story perfectly, he gets all experimental with panel layout, producing some truly mind-bending pages. This, in my opinion, is Quitely's best work. It's also the best I've read of Morrison (though I haven't gotten my hands on The Invisibles yet). The action is kickass, the story heartbreaking, the imagery haunting. A perfect comic.
Format: We3 was a 3-issue miniseries, so the trade is refreshingly thin, and lighter on the wallet than some of the other trades recommended here.
Amazon.com Listing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...158429?ie=UTF8

write up originally by Not Jake
Quote:

Title: The Mighty Thor (Dan Jurgens run)
Writer/Artist: Dan Jurgens/Various artists including John Romita Jr, Adam Kubert, Tom Rainey, and Joe Bennett.
Summary:
Highly underrated and incredible deep, Dan Jurgens' run on the Mighty Thor is a wonder, spanning 60 some odd issues. With some of Marvel's top shelf artists, Dan Jurgens was able to put together one of the best runs in the books history. We saw the death of Odin, Thor's ascension to All Father, The return of the Asgardian Gods to Earth, The inevitable struggle between man and God, and a totalitarian future that could not be. It had it all. Brought up some great philosophical questions about free will, and mans need to stand on his own, rather than have everything given to him. Just an all around great read. I think this is a series that people who don't like Thor could really get into. He's more than just a guy with a hammer, and this run shows you that in great detail.

FormatThe entire run is collected in trade paperback form starting with Dark Gods, Across All Worlds, Death of Odin, Lord of Asgard, Gods on Earth, Spiral, The Reigning, and Gods and Men.

Heres a look at all the volumes at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1/...%20Thor&page=1

As well as Mile High Comics
http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Some of these may be out of print though.

Quote:

Title: JLA: The Obsidian Age
Writer/Artist: Joe Kelly/Doug Mahnke, Yvel Guichet, Lewis Larosa

Summary

JLA Obsidian Age is the time spanning adventure brought to us by the great Joe Kelly that spins out of the events of Superman: Our Worlds at War. Aquaman and all of Atlantis went missing after the huge event, and the JLA went looking for them. What they found was a massive trench in the ocean where Atlantis used to be. They didn't get much time for investigation because they were soon attacked by strange individuals who seem to be Metas from the past. The they're able to take them (Barely), and the metas head back to the past, leaving a ruined Atlantis in the place of the trench. The JLA (With the help of some magic types.) give chase to the past, but before they go, Batman enacts a protocol that he has set up to put together a new JLA lead by Nightwing while they're gone. And so begins an incredible read that sees death, carnage, sacrifice, and sorrow in both the present and the past. The Bronze age JLA that appears in this arc are some extremely interesting characters. If you enjoy time spanning stories and complicated twists, then you'll love this book. It's a great read.

Format: JLA: The Obsidian Age is collected in two trade paperbacks that can be found at your LCS, or at Amazon.com or any other book store.

Heres a look at them both at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...139250?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...139250?ie=UTF8

Quote:

Title:Justice League/Justice League International
Writer/Artist:Keith Giffen/J.M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire
Genres: Superheroes, Humor

Summary: After Crisis on Infinite Earths, the DC Universe was a much different place. Characters had changed, some got new origins and some things changed drastically. The DC Universe was a much darker and scarier place until we got our first taste of one of the most wonderful phrases ever BWAHAHA! Keith Giffen (Annihilation) and J.M. DeMatteis have reformed the Justice League into one of its oddest and craziest points ever. Featuring a team of such favorites as Batman, Martian Manhunter, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, it also included some odd members as the brash Guy Gardener, Captain and Mary Marvel and Elongated Man and his wife Sue Dibny. What we got was comedic gold and loads of fun superhero action. The Justice League by Giffen and DeMatteis is still and fan favorite.

Kevin Maguire provided the art on the original eighties series as he provided excellent renditions of the characters and really shows his mastery of facial expressions. He also takes over art chores in the more recent mini-series and an arc on the book JLA:Classified "I Can't Believe it's Not the Justice League". A Nostalgic take on the Justice League it also ties in nicely o the ongoing events of the current DC Universe.

Format:The now classic run is collected in trade paperback as is the most current mini-series.

Justice League: A New Beginning

Justice League International: The Secret Gospel of Maxwell Lord

Formerly Known as the Justice League

I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League

Quote:

Batman: Hush
Writer: Jeph Loeb
Artist: Jim Lee
Genre: Superheroes

Summary: What makes a great comic book story? Action, Mystery, Romance, Twists and Turns, well Batman: Hush delivers on all accounts. Jeph Loeb (The Long Halloween, Superman/ Batman) is back to deliver us one of the most talked about moments in Batman’s long history. Complementing Loebs’ amazing story is the beautiful art of Jim Lee (Wildcats/ All Star Batman and Robin) which is spectacular to say the least.
This is all about people from Bruce’s past coming back into his life. The introduction of one of the most interesting and mysterious bat-villians, Hush. This has everything from Batman fighting the man of Steel, to him revealing his true identity to one of his old rogues. And who is back from the dead stirring up trouble for the dark knight? And what old friends are there to save Batman when things get out of his hands?

With appearances from The Joker, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, and just about everyone else from Batman's life, this is one of the greatest Batman adventures that have come out in the last few years.

Format: Batman: Hush is a 12-part story that took place in Batman #608-619, it is collected in an oversized hardcover edition that collects the whole story as well as having a Jim Lee sketchbook and an issue-by-issue commentary by the creative team.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...lance&n=283155

Or it is available in two separate parts, both available in either hard or soft cover.
Batman: Hush volume 1: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...lance&n=283155
Batman: Hush volume 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...lance&n=283155

The mysterious villain Hush also makes his return in ‘Batman: Hush Returns’ written by A.J. Lieberman, art by Al Barrionuevo, Javier Pina, Francis Portela, Jimmy Palmiotti and Bit. For more info on this title
http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_nove...ovels/?gn=4691
Or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...lance&n=283155

write up originally by warren sparta
Quote:

Title:Identity Crisis
Writer/Artist:Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales
Genres: Superheroes, Superhero deconstruction, Murder Mystery

Summary:The life of superheroes will never be the same after this 2004 mini by Brad Meltzer. A shocking death of someone close to the superhero community sends shockwaves throughout the DC universe. The heroes come to terms with their mortality and the never ending danger their loves ones are put every time to put on a cape. And for others a betrayal long forgotten comes back to haunt them in a devastating ways. This is the world of Identity Crisis. Nobody is safe and nobody is innocent. The line between villain and hero are crossed and their lives will never be the same.

Rags Morales in his breakout title provides crisp beautiful pencils that captures the wide range of emotions present in this book. Spectacularly rendered small moments between loved ones and epic fight scenes are showcased. In essence, Identity Crisis is a murder mystery but it really is so much more. The DC Universe was never the same and its effects are still felt today. Definitely a must buy for any DC fan. And defintitely worth checking out if you’re not.

Format:Originally a 7 issue mini-series its now collected in hardcover and trade paperback.
Identity Crisis (Hardcover)
Identity Crisis (Paperback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy fascist View Post
THE BOYS

GARTH ENNIS DARICK ROBERTSON

Ok so it's ennis writing about badasses yet again but they key difference between this and most of his recent work is that these are Ennis's own characters. The thing for me that sets preacher apart is the characterisation. Each individual in those books had a significant part to play in the overall telling of the story. This allowed Ennis to achieve the kind of scale and scope with his storytelling that is sadly missing from most comics today. The Boys is already planned out for the first 3 years. This will not be trade paperback friendly 6-issue arcs, it will be a constantly evolving universe unto itself.

The boys concerns a CIA sponsored team of enforcers whose job it is to police the superhero community. He uses this as an opportunity to throw in every piss take imaginable on superheroes and generally screw with the genre. For me this illustrates perfectly the fact that ennis should have been given a civil war tie in. Butchers Men are fascist bully boys but in this book Ennis has the balls to suggest that superheroes aren't perfect and somebodys gotta pay the piper at some point.

However, for my mind the thing that really sets this book apart is the fanboy's wet dream nature of some of the backstories here. If you were superman would you not be tempted to use your position and fame to
get a blowjob off the latest hot young recruit to the JLA?

THESE ARE THE INPORTANT QUESTIONS PEOPLE!

This is a great book with bags of humour and Ennis's trademark "gritty" dialogue and it really needs to shift units because maybe...just maybe if books like this start to take off the big two will realise that fans want stories that aren't over before they've begun. That don't have a convenient begining middle and end and that have longterm ramifications.

Who watches the watchmen? These guys would have kicked the **** out of them...

BUY THE BOYS

IT'S AWESOME!

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-30-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #36
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Quote:

Title: Give Me Liberty

Writer/Artist: Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Genre: Polotics, espionoge, war.

Summary: The United States are a mess. After the 22nd amendmant was repealed, a very corrupt president was continually re-elected, bringing the country furthur down into decadence withe every new term. The country is constantly on the brink of civil war, new terrorist groups are forming by the day, and poverty is at an all time high. All of this is told from the perspective of Martha Washington, a young black woman from the Chicago slums who joins the United States military to get out of the ghetto and see the world. The story is equal parts political thriller, war epic, and political satire, as Frank Miller takes jabs at both the right and the left, saying that it is not specific political groups and ideas that are and will bring this country down, but incompitance and corruption on both sides of the arguement.

Plus, there's one part where the military fights a giant fire breathing mech that looks like a fast food mascot.

Format: Four issues, collected in trade.

Amazon.com listing: http://www.amazon.com/Give-Me-Libert...e=UTF8&s=books

Quote:
STRAY BULLETS
David Lapham

Stray Bullets is a gritty urban epic of lowlife criminals in Baltimore. Every issue is a self-contained story that is part of a larger tapestry. The first collected book may sound pretentious as it is called Innocence of Nihilism, but it is very accessible. The seven stories jump in time from 1977 to 1997, and are interrelated in subtle ways. Lapham illustrates each story in a simple black and white that belies a much deeper narrative. Each of these pathetic criminals delude themselves into thinking that they are one job away from the big score, but are unable to find their way out of their predicament. Stray Bullets is the realistic, street level equivalent to 100 Bullets and Sin City.

Quote:
I can't find a picture of it, maybe someone can help me out. But What if #49 I believe, Vol. 2 I think (published in the late 90's or later)

What If...Impossible Man got the Infinity Guantlet.

I don't want to give too much of the story away but the title pretty much implies what the story it about. If you don't know who the impossible man is, he is more or less the Marvel Universe's version of Plastic Man. So yeah, he's crazy and now he has god like powers. .

Quote:
Moon Knight

Marc Spector has been a great many things--a soldier and a mercenary; a priest and a hero; a millionare phanthropist and a common taxi driver; a mentally unstable man who's only qualification as to being a hero is that he likes to hurt those who hurt others.

But all of that is behind him now. Broken in both body and spirit by his archnemesis, Spector's been reduced to a drunken, bitter cripple who's hopelessness and pill addiction has driven away everyone he knows and loves. But the sons of his former enemies and his god, Khonshu is nowhere near done with Spector yet, and thus, he is going to be pushed away from The Bottom...

Hard-boiled novelist Charlie Huston's first foray into comics is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most hardcore books Marvel has to offer. Every issue is a monumental ass-kicking right to the very pit of your soul and you love every bleeding second of it and beg for seconds.

Huston's writing kicks your ass, but artist David Finch's pencils spin it completely out of control to the point where you transform into a black and blue carcuss. Finch truely branches out and makes the world his own. While normally his style is brighter with less facial expressions, Finch truely brings his A-game and pours it all into the art. Every panel makes you feel all the blood spilled and the chaos and pain rip into the very fibers of your brain.

In conclusion, f**k Civil War, f**k the upcoming World War Hulk, f**k any other wars that Marvel's shoving down our throats--this is the title you need to get. I know I will--to recieve my monthly ass-whupin'.

Quote:
Well....it's kind of hard without giving it away. But I'll try to fill you in on it as much as possible.

Detective Christchurch is bent on catching a mass killer that he always seems to be one step behind. Not to mention the fact that just about the entire police squad is corrupt or a junkie. The only person that somewhat has his back is his partner. He also seems unable to compile enough evidence to convict the killer he is after. A new drug LD50 seems to play a role in all of this, but Christchurch is unable to make the connection how or why. But it all becomoes clear to him soon enough....or does it?

written by Warren Ellis.

Quote:
Other Side
Written by Jason Aaron and penciled by Cameron Stewart

Other Side takes place in 1967 and tells parallel accounts of soldiers, the reluctant American Bill Everette and patriotic Vietnamese Vo Binh Dai, as they leave their homes and families and move toward the battlefield where each of them hopes to kill the enemy during the Vietnam War.

Throughout the book, the narrative switch its focus between Billy and Vo Dai, as does the colors, textures, and line weight. Stewarts impressionistic art allows for a casual acceptance of some elements of the story which, in a different medium, might derail one’s suspension of disbelief. One such instance occurs when, while in basic training, Billy’s rifle begins to speak to him. In a novel, this would be the point when many readers would set the book down feeling horribly embarrassed for the author. But, in The Other Side, when Billy’s rifle suddenly has its own speech balloon and says, “I want to (eff) your brains out,” the reader instantly beings scanning for its next line of dialog.

In an after word, Jason Aaron acknowledges his cousin, writer Gustov Hasford as an inspiration and primary source for the book. Hasford was the author of The Short-Timers, which was the basis of Stanley Kubrick’s Full Metal Jacket. Aaron likewise credits other Vietnam writers like Philip Caputo and Tim O’Brien. After decades of movies and books about Vietnam, particularly by Kubrick and Copolla, there’s nothing shocking in The Other Side. So much can be taken for granted, there’s no pressure to drill into our heads the horror of that war. The result is that Aaron and Steward are able to tell a story which focuses on their characters, Billy Everett and Vo Binh Dai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman138 View Post
I think I actually like Mr. Punch more than Sandman. It's really dense, at the surface it's just about a rather mundane memory, but by trying to understand the narrator as he is in the present makes the narrative very complex and much more ambiguous. The real question is not about his memory, it's about why this one has stuck with him for so long, and how it connects to the Punch and Judy shows which have now gone out of vogue. Dave McKean's art is at its best in the book. His use of photography means he can play with focus, and by mixing media, this creates some really symbol heavy images. It is work to decode, and will take multiple readings (I'm going in on my third now and I still feel like I'm just scratching the surface) but it is really rewarding. It's the first and only thing I've read by Gaiman that didn't have any fantasy or mythological elements. No gods, or sphinxes, or magic (though the Punch and Judy shows and their history kinda take their place from a structural standpoint I guess). I wish he would write more stories like this, because as much as I love his fantasy work, he is really good at the grounded stuff as well, and I find this to be more poignant than the grander abstracts he deals with in Sandman (which is plenty poignant already). Basically, if you haven't read Mr. Punch, you really owe it to yourself to go out and read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNR View Post

Hawkman by Geoff Johns,James Robinson,Justin Gray,Jimmy Palmiotti,Rags Morales,Ryan Sook, and Joe Bennett

Vol.1 Endless Flight
Vol.2 Allies and Enemies
Vol.3 Wings of Fury
#28-36(uncollected - Fate's Warning 4 parter,done in ones featuring Atom,Monolith,Deadman)
Vol.4 Rise of the Golden Eagle

For anybody wanting to get into the character,this 45 issue run is essential and probably definitive in terms of Hawkman.Out of all the big guns of the DCU,this run is highly underrated and probably the best ongoing run.The main thing to love about this run,is the perfect combination of superhero action,character study,deconstruction,heavy use of recurring themes,classic adventure and emotional investment.In everything Johns has written,this is probably his most fantasy/adventure filled approach to writing,much different than his writing on books like Green Lanten,Titans or JSA.

The history of Hawkman may seem confusing,but Johns explains it all with much ease and makes the whole reincarnation idea one of the main themes of this run.He uses it with alot of tragedy and sadness,Hawkman has had to deal with losing his loved ones over and over again,this is why he fights so hard to save lives.It's also why he questions the need to love people,when he knows he will just pass them by.

Johns explores many of these past lives to really build the character and it's just beautiful to read.It really puts the whole interest in archaeology into perspective,Carter is simply interested in gathering all the things he left behind in his past lives.From visiting different countries to see his gravestones to keeping a box of pictures of all the loved ones he has lost in these past lives,Johns really brings out Carter's character from under the stereotyped winged brute.

There are many supporting roles and cameos here.Hawkgirl,Green Arrow,Ray Palmer,Dr.Fate,and many more.His history with many of these characters is explained as well as his stints in the JLA and JSA.It will not take a hardcore DC fan to realize that Green Arrow and Hawkman dislike each other or that Hawk and Atom are the best of friends.These rel'ps are all made clear and do not confuse new readers.

In terms of action,it comes in boatloads.This is one of the defining aspects of Hawkman that really separates his from the other big guns of the DCU.The idea of when he puts the helmet on,he becomes this brutal merciless warrior who uses nothing but deathblows.Carter is constantly struggling with his savage nature and does not always keep it in check.Seeing Hawkman go ape**** on anyone from street thugs,supervillains or monsters with a mace is always brutal but fun to watch.There's bloody mutilations,head smashing,limb breaking and beheading for all to enjoy.

Rags Morales has to be commended for his new yet classic take on Hawkman.The menacing look of the hawk helmet,the addition of a variety of deadly weapons and the barbaric movements when in action,this isn't your grandaddy's Hawkman,all due respect of course.

If you ever were curious about Hawkman's character,looking for a truly solid read unlike any typical cape book or looking to see what makes Hawkman one of a kind in the DCU,look no further than this run.

Highly recommended.

Quote:
I don't think it's been recommended but I may be wrong, so don't scold me if this has been brought up already. But

The Incredible Hercules - which is actually post The Incredible Hulk and I believe begins with issue #112

A very entertaining series with much more plot and interwoven story lines that I had anticipated. I have not finished it just yet but I am close and so far it is great. I highly recommend it if you enjoy comics with more comedy and yet still plenty of action and story to carry you along the entire journey.

I would say if you enjoy Invincible you may like this book. .
Okay, so the first phase is complete. Next I will attempt to re-up the index list created by Elijya, to include the books that were mentioned but never committed to the index.

Last edited by BAH HUMBBUG!; 04-30-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
Tron Bonne
Diane, I'm Coming Back

So, do you have all of the books posted up from before now?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Well yes and no. I think I have all books that have at least some reason why a person recommended it, but I do not have any of the books listed where someone just said. "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac" and didn't put why. I am working on those, but as for everything else yes, they are all reposted.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #39
Anubis
Sup?

Man, Blankets, Arrowsmith, Gaimen's Murder Mysteries. Stuff that I never woulda checked out if I didn't find it in here first. Effin' awesome stuff.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #40
Tron Bonne
Diane, I'm Coming Back

Quote:
Well yes and no. I think I have all books that have at least some reason why a person recommended it, but I do not have any of the books listed where someone just said. "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac" and didn't put why. I am working on those, but as for everything else yes, they are all reposted.
Oh, Okay. I thought I did one for Young Liars and Zot!, but maybe it was another thread.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #41
Tron Bonne
Diane, I'm Coming Back

Okay, found my Zot! one. It was in the 'great comics you may not have heard of' thread. Not sure where my Young Liars one was, maybe I'm just misremembering doing one at all. Anyway, I'll go ahead and repost my one for Zot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename Sailor V View Post

Maybe not quite as under the radar as some of the other titles posted in here, but I thought I'd give a good shout-out to Scott McCloud's Zot! A comic that was a bit of throwback to more fun Golden Age superhero storytelling, it really was a breath of fresh air, I'm sure, to people in the midst of the mainstream superhero comics of the '90s. Pretty interesting to see the first major work by the guru of comics (and he was right in the foreword of the Complete Black and White Collection; I was kind of curious what that lightening bolt was all about). The end of the series takes an interesting turn with the 'Earth stories', and keeps the whole thing very fresh. Probably one of it's most noted features is it's artstyle inspired heavily from Japanese manga which, at the time, was uncommon.

Right now you can get The Complete Black and White Collection, which collects issues 11-36. Issue 1-10 is out of print, but issue 11 was kind of a quasi-reboot.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #42
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Quote:
Man, Blankets, Arrowsmith, Gaimen's Murder Mysteries. Stuff that I never woulda checked out if I didn't find it in here first. Effin' awesome stuff.
Yeah thanks to this thread I was reading more than just Ultimate Spider-Man and Batman: Gotham Knights...ugh Hush Returns....

Casanova by Matt Fraction, Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon

It's like 200 cc's of ****ing awesome being pumped straight into heart. Casanova Quinn is a scoundrel, a criminal in his timeline, and the black sheep of a family of super spies. One day master criminal and damn fine dresser Newman Xeno plucks Casanova out of his timeline and into a new one where he no longer is the outcast of his family but is at the bidding of Xeno. I'm really not covering the amount of crazy turns or character depth that is Casanova. It's a very fun, well written book and very gorgeous art from Ba and Moon. So far one trade is out with another on the way. The series will continue with brand new issues this September so there is plenty of time to catch up.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #43
The Morningstar
Banned User

David Lapham's Young Liars. One of my favourite comic book series' ever. Lapham writes and illustrates.

The book centers around a group of 20-somethings in modern day New York City, though the story quickly expands to other parts of America and the world. All of them have disturbing secrets about themselves that they keep from the others, and even the readers are left to decide what is true and what are lies.

Another book by David Lapham.

I haven't enjoyed the Deadpool character for years, until this came along. Not really your average Deadpool book. I wouldn't even call it a superhero book. It's like a noir, superspy, conspiracy thriller on acid. Like Young Liars the lines of reality and fantasy are blurred. Very ambiguous and it's keeps you guessing as to what is really happening. Also a nice dash of satire. Issue 3, with Baron Zemo as the leader of a Neo Nazi cult a stand out.

Kyle Baker's art, in my opinion, is amazing. He has a stylized, surreal look to his work. Which goes with the book really well.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #44
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Seven Soldiers of Victory Hardcover volumes 1 & 2: First off if you enjoy 52 or Brightest Day with C-list characters you thought you'd never care about, this is another fine awesome story arc with 7 characters you unlikely care about with it's only "pop culture iconic" character being Zatanna. Zatanna's the only one i've known but never like this, because i've never read a Zatanna comic so boy was i optimisticly pleased to read a comic where i can learn more about her, see her personality and how her daily routine life goes with all the magic, crime fightning and showman business goes around as she also gains her apprentice Misty to help her fight againts the upcoming fight. The core story concept here is that the Sheeda Vampires who ruin Earth's society every 10-30 thousand year or so are once again returning to earth and the Harrowing has began, but the prophecy says that the 7 soldiers will stop them all and thus the Sheeda are fightning groups of 7 people, but here lies the big twist and the most intriquing concept of the book: These characters never meet up with another until the very finale, but the stories are told in such fantasticly innotive way that the reader gets a geekgasm when you get a reference from past issue or a plot point nomatter how big or minor all makes sense from another character's perspective. Each character has it's own artist with Ryan Sook handling Zatanna, you got Dough Mahnke on Frankestein, Yanick Paquette on Bulleteer, Cameron Stewart on Manhattan Guardian, Frazing Irving on Klarion, JH Williams handles the first and last issues which open and end the story ultimately, you also got characters like Mr. Miracle, Vigilante and so forth. Cameron Stewart's Manhattan Guardian was really intriquing because you never really hear about New York in DC universe unless you're reading about JSA. Manhattan Guardian is sponsored by the Newsboy Legion which must be one of the craziest and most awesome Jack Kirby inventions ever, you got a badass genius Baby man! It's funny! I also liked the undertrain train pirates (yes, pirates!) as Morrison always has a good idea for different kinds of criminal gangs or cultures to touch on/create. Yanick Paquette's Bulleteer was interesting because it touched on the subject on how normal people behave and react to the superhero culture, touching on the subjects how normal people use radiactive toxins in hopes of gaining powers or letting wild animals bite them for totem powers, but it touches on akward subject of people being turned on by superheroics and whatnot and we get this really sad/pitiful villainess who will always look like a jailbait and how she was abused into superhero porn indrusty, yikes! Frankestein's story was full of win because it was this gothic horror vigilante man taking down all kinds of weird monsters while also working for the S.H.A.D.E organization. Really great action sequences with a badass hero to move the story along. Mister Miracle's story was really intriquing because it played as a prequel to Final Crisis with Boss Dark Side and Mister Miracle escaping the craziest stunts, it got really sad what happens to his body and how Darkseid does his best to torture the poor fella. :*( The Shining Knight's story was an epic knight order vs. the Sheed Vampires illusturated by Simon Bianchi who makes this really medievally epic, even tho it's pre-medieval where the readers see the very first proto-King Arthur along with Merlin the Sheeda wizard. Ultimately the conclusion and how the story ties down was pretty good, BUT it made me crave for alot more because yeah these characters really rocked, i loved the last page for Klarion's story because it was a really character defining shot showing how wicked the little brat is. Yeah thats pretty much my thoughts on these 2 hardcovers, definatly worth the purchase and a fine addition to "awesome DC characters you should read about!".

Rating: 100/100 - Yes this receives a full score because of the long variety of arts, the different genres and insanely unique story arc with throwing a very unique way of having a team up, now mind you the ending will make you crave for more, because apparently it was suppose to be a longer finale but Morrison had to trim it down to 2 finales, but it still will make you fist pump and enjoy it. This is an awesome event like epicness that is very satisfying.

Quote:
American Vampire volume 1: Vampires! Scary Vampires! Stephen King and Scott Snyder take on the new Vertigo title reimagening the vampires mythos to tell their new story on how the vampires of America began! King' Sweet Skinner story taking on the early 1900s with Snyder's badass Pearl Jones protagonist taking on 1925! King's story is your good ol' fashioned cowboy revenge story that has over the top dialogue to make this grim tale provide some good laughs. I love how the vampires grow extended fingers+nails and their mouths become all monster alike, i really like the idea of Vampires becoming more bat-monster alike when they wish to feed. Snyder's story is the superior one here with Pearl Jones being the cool woman character who can stood up for herselves as she learns the ways of being a vampire and getting her revenge, great twist with her supporting cast too! I think my favorite part was the idea of Noble European Vampires with their hierarchy "invading" America and now these new evolved "American" Vampires are creating a civil war between the old and new Vampires, definatly getting volume 2! The book might seem small due to only being 5 issues, but it's 5 oversized issues.

Rating: This is a good start to an intriquing new concept such as new vampires in America versus the older European vampires and whatnot, so i'd give the start a 85/100 rating.

Quote:
Ultimate Thor: As far as extras are concerned, we get Carlos Pachero's designs on the characters, but honestly you can find these on Comic Book Resources, but theres some inked black and white pages and so forth for those interested, now on to the story! While the comic is entitled "Ultimate Thor" it's much more than that, it's practically "Ultimate Asgard" to me, but yeah it does deal alot with Thor's origin, but the story is told in 3 different time periods. Ancient Ages, 1939 Germany and Modern era. Ancient ages deals about the wars the Frost Giants and Asgardians had with Odin building the unstoppable weapon Mjölnir, 1939 deals about the nazi Baron Zemo requesting Hitler's permission to invade Asgard with Nazi Frost Giants, yes we get frost giants in nazi uniforms, awesomeness! Modern era deals about Thor retelling the story of Rägnärök and how he got there, it's tons of action, tons of building up the ultimate Asgard history and all in one it's a very short but amazingly heart warming story of one man doing what he should do, doing good things and helping the world.

Rating:
This is a great book for people curious about the Thor after seeing the movie Thor or being excited for it. 4 Issues of awesomeness by Jonathan Hickman. If you want a story of origins, magic, science and what truly makes a hero a hero, check this out: 900/100 Not giving it a full score since it's such a short story, but it accomplishes it's goals in a really great way.

Quote:

Gerard Way's Umbrella Academy:
This is comics as larger than life as possible, the feeling of superheroism kicks right off at the beginning as the Effeil tower goes to a rampage! Even tho these volumes are mere 12 issues total, the way Way handled writing really gets you to caring about Rumour and Spaceboy, but i gotta love Number 5 the most and Pogo. Pogo is a talkinh chimp which is a norm for this universe, he has his charm, but Number 5 is a 60 year old assassin in the body of a 10 year old or so, so you got this cute lil' kid doing the most badass things out there. Villains are also very intriquing from Abraham Lincon statue to Cha-cha and Hazel. This is pretty much the X-Men for cool people as Grant Morrison said.
Rating: The art is really unique, the characters are also that and the concept is highly sci-fi while also being accepting to crazy wild ideas and the world being unique already since it has talking chimps and whatnot, but yeah i'll give this 90/100 for the two arcs. 2nd volume has cool villains and a nasty plot, wheres the 1st volume is a cool introduction to the world and so forth.

Quote:
Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson volumes 1-3:
Ah yeah now we're getting to the A-material right here, having already read Daredevil: Born Again and Daredevil: The Man Withouth Fear it was nice to finally read the actual first stories by Miller on DD that made him so popular to begin with. Volume 1 kicks off with the Spider-Man issues drawn by Miller and the first stories in volume 1 are actually written by Roger Mckenzie, but you can see the beginning of Miller's story telling artistic decisions, but the first issues just have too much that 70s style narration on almost everything, but nowhere near as bad as it is in Tomb of Dracula series. When Miller and Janson kick off their story arc with the introduction of Elektra, you can see this is Miller at his most Millerist there is. Stunning views of the city are drawn, beatiful women, people smoking, criminals scheming and plotting, with Kingpin getting very tons of attention as he is treated as *the* villain over the course of the story, you got Miller using his weird slang and honestly alot of the action scenes are pretty much the best i've seen from Miller. Elektra's introduction not only kicks off the new love interests for Matt, you also get to see Miller fleshing out not only Hell's Kitchen but Matt's own past gets fleshed out with the introduction of Stick, Daredevil losing his radar senses for a while, gosh you know i could just list all the things i overly enjoyed and loved on these 3 volumes. I mean the page count for each volume was close to 250 pages each, but i read these volumes in 2 days with such ease. Great dialogue, not too much Miller like narration (tho yes, we do get DD compare Hell Kitchen to a woman, and boy did i laugh), great villains such as Kirigi, 3 awesome fights between Daredevil and Bullseye along with Kingpin being the most ruthless cunning criminal lord there is, you also see Ben Urich and even Fogey standout as great citizens who stood up againts the corruption. Oh and Turk is obviously the greatest criminal Matt has ever faced!
If you're an obvious Miller fan, get it. If you love superhero vigilante comics that don't symbolize american politics like Miller's Batman always does, get it. Honestly this is flatout great vigilante superheroics. I guess i could just squeeze this fact in: the 3rd volume has bunch of short stories included after Miller's last DD issue which was flatout awesome, one last talk with Daredevil and his nemesis! So yeah the short stories are stuff like "what if DD was an agent of SHIELD" and a Kingpin centric story that deals with Kingpin and his wife Vanessa, but i gotta admit i felt underwhelmed by these short stories after being so much spoiled by the actual ongoings. I also gotta love how the whole japanese culture was used here with ninjas and all, since i also had hype backlash upon my experience with Miller's Ronin story.
Rating: For Miller's whole 3 volumes of DD it's definatly street superheroics at it's finest while also questioning whenever or not killing is okay, when people like Bullseye exist and other good stuff from Miller. Definatly 95/100 and i'm including Born Again and Man Withouth Fear here, this is all really satisfying stuff but it never had a proper conclusion, it just ends there with a question and Daredevil's adventures continue.

Quote:

Nextwave: Agents of HATE, Ultimate collection:
I enjoyed this mindless action festival where a robot can be powered by the power of beer and solving society's issues with violence as we enjoy seeing a dragon with underpants getting beaten to senseless, hail Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen! Another fine chapter to the Neo Silver Age of comic books where things go wild and the world is grim and edgy! So edgy you get a devilious plan by the mystery villain who wants to annihilate all humans, gasp! The range of characters from the Captain to the European proud Elsa Bloodstone's whos European shirt certainly doesn't stand for America! Machine Man's dislike for puny fleshings can get abit forced at times, but ultimately the main character highlights do come from Dirk Anger's passion to capture the Nextwave as much as him wanting to kill himself. This comic heavily reminded me of Gerard Way's Umbrella Academy, while Ellis gets the boost of using the Marvel universe so we can have such great villains as the mighty Forbush man! The entire book might be 12 issues long, but the read thru goes incredibly swiftly with non-boring dialogue and the fact the scenarios are pretty intriquing itself, some jokes might feel forced such as Tabitha Smith's internet quotations from Zomg to other words, but she was pretty awesome with her superheroine name being Boom-Boom practically. Check it out, if you're a fan of good team ups and comedy.

Rating: It's a fun action packed adventure full of crazy concepts and characters, but it might be too overboard for the comedy that it doesn't stay that funny as a whole 1readthru, and of course it depends how your sense of humour is but genuily this was pretty fun and crazy. 75/100

Last edited by Drz; 05-01-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #45
The Morningstar
Banned User

Mike Carey's Lucifer. If you liked Neil Gaiman's Sandman, particularly the arc Season of Mists, you should love this. Follows Lucifer on his journey to find his place in the universe after abandoning Hell.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #46
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Tales Designed to Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman

One of the funniest comics of all time. Kupperman's irreverent humor is much like what you would find on Adult Swim, the comic actually had pilot for them. Kupperman's art ranges from a woodcut style to Saturday morning cartoons covering stripes such as the time traveling crime fighting duo Snake N' Bacon and 70's buddy cop parody Twain and Einstein.

Afrodisiac by Jim Rugg and Brian Maruca

If Jack Kirby created Black Dynamite for Marvel. Read it for free!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #47
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Wow...this is great guys thanks for helping re-build this thread! If I could make one small request...any votes for the comics already mentioned would be awesome but I understand this takes a bit of time...and..

If you could maybe give a rating of the comic you're recommending on a scale of 100?

I mean Wanted was fun and all, but I wouldn't highly recommend it, I would barely recommend it. Which is why it only gets a 69, as opposed to things like Watchmen, Dark Knight and so on that get very high ratings as I would highly recommend them.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #48
The Morningstar
Banned User

A rating huh? Hmmm

Young Liars- 90. I think it's excellent, but i imagine it's very polarizing. The weird, unreliable narrative might annoy some people.
Deadpool MAX- 100. This is, for me, the best book either big mainstream company is publishing right now. Don't be put off even if you despise the Deadpool character. It really is that good.
Lucifer-100. A bonafide masterpiece. I can't recommend this enough. Unless you are really religious and sensitive.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #49
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Wow....not that you are wrong, but 100? I mean 100 is perfect works of art for me, which basically nothing gets. But I'll throw it up there and try to balance out the ratings in time with more adding [hopefully] and adding my reviews to them as well.

Thanks for keeping things rolling so far MS, WM, DRZ, CSV and Nubis for coming back!

To start us off I will recommend...

Day Tripper
Story By:
Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba
Art By: Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba
Published By: Vertigo

Another comic I haven't read but my friend can't stop talking about it, he loves it. While it may not be for everyone it is a very good read according to him. Essentially the main character imagines what it would be like if he died at various points throughout his life....but actually does? Then the story picks back up in the next issue with him alive. I didn't quite understand the entire concept but he said to just read it, I would not be disappointed.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=1663

NonPlayer
Story By:

Art By:
Published By: Image Comics

Synopsis: From Official Blog for Nonplayer

Mid-21st century America doesn't have much to offer Dana Stevens, but there's plenty for her to live for inside Warriors of Jarvath, the world's most popular full-immersion online game. In the real world, she's a tamale delivery girl who still lives with her mom, but inside the game she's an elite assassin. When she gets the drop on King Heremoth, a celebrity non-player character, she thinks she's finally got a shot at fame. But when she slays Queen Fendra, the King's reaction is disconcertingly realistic. Something's amiss in Jarvath, and the effects may reverberate well beyond the boundaries of the game.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #50
BAH HUMBBUG!
There's an invisible man

Okay, the index is up to date on the first page here,for the original thread. More to to be done on it, but it is covered as far as which comics were actually given a review.