Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 2

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 3

I didn't know where to post this, but it is sort of Clark's costume. Do you think they'll explain why the disguise woks? Will they ignore it?

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Sabaoth
Master

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 4

I found this on google. Whoever created it is a true maestro with great taste!
Replace Cage's head with Cavill's and there you have it,
a Superman costume for a new age!

ain't it cool?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

LOL

That picture is dangerous. It could literally shatter the fabric of reality because it's made of win and fail at the same time.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

It looks like rubber or "armour".

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
kal-elrebooted
True Superman Fan

They should update a replica of L&C's Superman costume and use the costume for the movie, the show wasn't all that great i know but Superman's costume and their Clark Kent was.

By supermanrebooted at 2011-04-26
By supermanrebooted at 2011-04-26

Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
DE LA LUNA
Side-Kick

As for Superman's hair looking "natural", I've always loved Clarks hair in Lois and Clark for Superman. It looks very nice in this picture.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

the \S/ on that costume always looked awful.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart
If you look at that 'History of Superman' documentary, with the SR footage in it, you'll get a better idea of what the picture/image quality looked like pre-color-correction. The suit was still a bit muted and not particularly vibrant but their color-timing and such for release definitely gave everything a rather muddled look. It wasn't any particular filter put on everything, more an overall 'tone' that they ended up going with...whereas the more 'raw' footage was clearer, albeit less 'stylized'.

It was funny when some people were blaming the Genesis camera...or digital in general..for SR looking the way it did...or as if someone put a muddy filter on the lens. It wasn't the camera...the camera shot things nice and clear. They made the image look that way with final color-correction before mastering it for release.
I haven't seen the documentary, but there is a chance that it was color-corrected as well, which is may what you meant by "raw."

Here is a picture of my friend with the suit. A picture that is unaltered (save for his face being blurred).

The red is richer and less brown/rusty. It's something I wouldn't mind seeing in the new suit -- a blood red.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I haven't seen the documentary, but there is a chance that it was color-corrected as well, which is may what you meant by "raw."
There's more than a chance...it's a guarantee that it was color-corrected...as every film is when finalized. You generally don't shoot something that dark if you want to give yourself some latitude for adjustment later on...especially if you're combining things with effects. Just like Matrix wasn't filmed with a green filter over the lens.

Even if they knew (and they did) how they'd time/CC the film later in post, you shoot it a certain way (especially with digital) to give you range to bring it 'down', because if you try and raise levels/gain on underexposed material, it creates more noise and artifacts. So it's not a case of Singer just putting a 'filter' on the lens or video. Different parts of the image...highs, mids, shadows, isolated color tones...are treated in color-correction with some very powerful tools.

Quote:
Here is a picture of my friend with the suit. A picture that is unaltered (save for his face being blurred).

The red is richer and less brown/rusty. It's something I wouldn't mind seeing in the new suit -- a blood red.
Yeah, it's brighter in a brightly-lit room...but it's still rather muted, and the reds are still decidedly leaning towards maroon or darker tones. To be fair, even Reeve's suit didn't quite have that glowing chrominace it had in the final picture when seen by the naked eye or without post treatment....even though it was clearly brighter/more vibrant than Routh's.

Basically, none of what we saw in SR was a 'mistake' in terms of color treatment...or an arbitrary adjustment, or some technical shortcoming of the equipment used, etc.. It was a stylistic choice from the beginning to go for a certain tone/mood/feel. Did they go too far for some? Perhaps...but it's what they wanted.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
nouan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post

ain't it cool?
Holy f***ing s***! This is mine actually, lol. It's Superman Lives fanart. It's pretty crappy, now that I see it with a brighter screen. But thanks.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-elrebooted View Post
They should update a replica of L&C's Superman costume and use the costume for the movie, the show wasn't all that great i know but Superman's costume and their Clark Kent was.

Man, that suit looks so much like a rental Halloween costume it's not even funny.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:

ain't it cool?

That Gargoyle hates the suit/actor so much that he' vomiting a chain!

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
nouan
Banned User

Hahah, yeah, those who don't like Cage nor the suit can relate to the gargoyle. It's funny.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #16
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
There's more than a chance...it's a guarantee that it was color-corrected...as every film is when finalized. You generally don't shoot something that dark if you want to give yourself some latitude for adjustment later on...especially if you're combining things with effects. Just like Matrix wasn't filmed with a green filter over the lens.

Even if they knew (and they did) how they'd time/CC the film later in post, you shoot it a certain way (especially with digital) to give you range to bring it 'down', because if you try and raise levels/gain on underexposed material, it creates more noise and artifacts. So it's not a case of Singer just putting a 'filter' on the lens or video. Different parts of the image...highs, mids, shadows, isolated color tones...are treated in color-correction with some very powerful tools.
I know all that -- I work in post-production also. I was referring to the documentary footage that you said gives you more of a sense of how the suit looks without the post coloring -- that footage was most likely color-corrected as well so I don't think it gives you a real sense of how it looks originally. That's why I posted the picture of the actual suit. But I may have just misunderstood your original post.

Quote:
Yeah, it's brighter in a brightly-lit room...but it's still rather muted, and the reds are still decidedly leaning towards maroon or darker tones. To be fair, even Reeve's suit didn't quite have that glowing chrominace it had in the final picture when seen by the naked eye or without post treatment....even though it was clearly brighter/more vibrant than Routh's.

Basically, none of what we saw in SR was a 'mistake' in terms of color treatment...or an arbitrary adjustment, or some technical shortcoming of the equipment used, etc.. It was a stylistic choice from the beginning to go for a certain tone/mood/feel. Did they go too far for some? Perhaps...but it's what they wanted.
That room doesn't look all that bright to me but the flash is definitely having an effect.

I personally don't love the idea of the suit being vibrant -- at a certain point it is just too loud and can be an eye-sore. And while I didn't love how the SR suit turned out in the film, I definitely liked the color potential it had, which can be seen in some of the promotional photos (though it definitely varied from picture to picture).

Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I know all that -- I work in post-production also. I was referring to the documentary footage that you said gives you more of a sense of how the suit looks without the post coloring -- that footage was most likely color-corrected as well so I don't think it gives you a real sense of how it looks originally. That's why I posted the picture of the actual suit. But I may have just misunderstood your original post.
It depends...on when they got it to edit in to the documentary (which looks early, as you could see the 'support' cables under his armpit), and whether they were editing the footage 'raw' or with any in-camera treatment/metadata for offline. There is a possibility that it was pushed a bit in terms of gamma levels just for broadcast, though. But just judging by the footage in the doc, and experience working with cameras like the Red and the Alexa...the overall image looked rather raw. Better in some areas, not so much in others when compared to the final image.

Quote:
That room doesn't look all that bright to me but the flash is definitely having an effect.

I personally don't love the idea of the suit being vibrant -- at a certain point it is just too loud and can be an eye-sore. And while I didn't love how the SR suit turned out in the film, I definitely liked the color potential it had, which can be seen in some of the promotional photos (though it definitely varied from picture to picture).
It's a tough balance, I think, with such stark primary colors over such large portions of the body. I also think part of it is the surface 'sheen' or reflectivity....in SR's case, there really wasn't much...whereas in the L&C suit, the blue is considerably darker, but the material is 'shinier'.

Also...the rest of the film had such a sullen pallor that it didn't really allow for the more 'muted' suit to stand out. It just felt like a lot of low, diffused light...rather than sharper keys or backlighting to give things more definition even in low ambient light. Put it this way, and I think you'll agree...it wasn't just the suit. It's the overall approach/style they took with the look of the film that contributed to/detracted from its effect onscreen.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
It's the overall approach/style they took with the look of the film that contributed to/detracted from its effect onscreen.
Most definitely.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
camp Blood
For your health!

Let's never look up cagerman ever again

And would you even call s:lives art "fan art" considering everybody hates it

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
nouan
Banned User

Well I would call it fan art as I'm a fan of Superman Lives and I don't hate it. I wish they made it. It would have been great! Different but great.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post

I love it.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post

Well this piece of fan art made me believe that perhaps we, the fans, did end up losing something very special with Superman Lives never having been made; it would be cool if one day DC gets its hands on all these designs and creates an Elseworlds comic book adaptation.

Regardless, there is a possibility that Snyder and Co. will not go with the traditional design.
I always chuckle whenever I read of a fanboy stating that when it is said they are going to modernize the suit, that they simply mean they are going to use updated fabric types and shades of color.
I'd wager they are going to make some changes (like ditching the underroos) and IMO that Nic Cage costume is a good solid step in the right direction...I would not be too surprised if they do go with something just like it and the fanboys will complain and everyone will laugh at them.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #23
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouan View Post
Holy f***ing s***! This is mine actually, lol. It's Superman Lives fanart. It's pretty crappy, now that I see it with a brighter screen. But thanks.
How about replacing the Cage head with a Cavill head?

I really think that costume may be an indicator of things to come.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:

ain't it cool?
No, it is not.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #25
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Cage looks like Tommy Wiseau as Superman in that manip.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Closed Thread